Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Akito had good fights I dont remember anything else

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

wielder posted:

Ironically...in another interview, the original Code Geass staff members said they're not too interested in the mystical worldbuilding, which is why they didn't refer to the Akito lore in the recent movie (but it seems they'll bring in some of those concepts for the upcoming mobile game though, whenever that's coming out).

Yeah you can really feel that, It's like they started out trying to balance it, realized the Politics and Drama was far more interesting and then had to wrap up all the World of C stuff in one episode.

I really think they shoudl've just gone with straight up AU's if they wanted to make CG sequels. The Series ended with such a bow that trying anything else would feel kind of weak.

Using Zero,Suzaku, and the C people as a type of template and creating a new world state around them to react to would've worked out better, and then they could get rid of flight units

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Gaius Marius posted:

Yeah you can really feel that, It's like they started out trying to balance it, realized the Politics and Drama was far more interesting and then had to wrap up all the World of C stuff in one episode.

I really think they shoudl've just gone with straight up AU's if they wanted to make CG sequels. The Series ended with such a bow that trying anything else would feel kind of weak.

Using Zero,Suzaku, and the C people as a type of template and creating a new world state around them to react to would've worked out better, and then they could get rid of flight units

An animated adaptation of Nightmare of Nunnaly would be fun

wielder
Feb 16, 2008

"You had best not do that, Avatar!"

Sakurazuka posted:

To be fair, that is the best part of Akito so can't blame you at all. Spider-drones that can transform are cool.

Gaius Marius posted:

That could happen too. I think Sunrise is trying different options and will stick with whatever works, depending on the outcome of the next anime project and the mobile game (which seems likely to be the one place where they'll want to throw in existing spin-offs like the NoN manga, since they need characters for the gacha).

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Sakurazuka posted:

Congratulations, you remember the good parts of Akito.

Ardeem
Sep 16, 2010

There is no problem that cannot be solved through sufficient application of lasers and friendship.
I always figured the end of Akito felt so random and disconeccted because the main series ate a rewrite part way through the second season and all the lore they were going build on didn't exist anymore. It's too bad that it'll probably never wind up in a SRW game: Alexanders vs Scopedogs would be an amaizing fight of tiny unhittable glass canons.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

I'd love to see the guys in SRW, real cuties. I don't know if Akito can be blamed on S2 of Geass though, theres quite a few years between the two

wielder
Feb 16, 2008

Ardeem posted:

I always figured the end of Akito felt so random and disconeccted because the main series ate a rewrite part way through the second season and all the lore they were going build on didn't exist anymore. It's too bad that it'll probably never wind up in a SRW game: Alexanders vs Scopedogs would be an amaizing fight of tiny unhittable glass canons.

We haven't had a real mainline SRW game in a while, so I'm hoping we get some news on that front sooner rather than later.

The OVA's lore is all completely new created by Akane, and Sunrise more or less gave him a free hand so he wasn't limited by what the TV series had done.

To paraphrase him, the guy said something about wanting to add more "SF" DNA to Code Geass, but I believe he meant more in the speculative sci-fi sense (things like ESP, time/space manipulation, etc...similar to his Noein series) than in the more "hard" sci-fi manner. In a way, you could argue the weird stuff that happens at the end of Akito is closer to some of the crazier things Gundam has done with Newtypes (refer to the end of Unicorn for a not-so-old example). Problem is, Akito doesn't stop to explain most of it and so the viewer has to self-interpret some rather ambiguous scenes without a guide. This is also from memory, but Akane even pointed out afterwards that for him it's okay if people didn't understand everything.

At the same time, I'd say the mecha combat wasn't the only good part. For instance, both Leila and Akito had reasonable chemistry during their interactions.

wielder fucked around with this message at 03:55 on Apr 11, 2021

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

Afaik both Tekkaman Blade and Detonator Orgun were drawing from the same well (the original Tekkaman).

Also for Akito in SRW, I fully expect them to either nix the Kingsley plot or turn him into his own character.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Spin-offs not related to the canon of the OG show appear all the time, many times in conjunction with canon.

Guess what other bandai property shows up despite being big huge non-canon in Super Robot the past few games

(Hathaway's flash)

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

Yeah but I'm speculating because SRW sometimes does fun stuff and Kingsley is just brainwashed Lelouch pre-R2

It's not like they frequently do no-plot inclusions. Just let me pretend they'll do something fun.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

I really don't think ya need to spoiler that

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

So, as I near the end of the Patlabor OVAs, I watched WXIII, the third Patlabor movie. You know, rounding things out, even if it's considered a weaker entry. And watching the film... I don't get it.

I don't get why it was made, I mean.

It's not that it's a bad movie. It's not the most exciting, and the leads are flat, but it's good looking, the plot basically holds together (even if it's a little thin), and the action scenes are good. Fumihiko Takayama's a talented director, with War in the Pocket, Bubblegum Crisis, and Orguss 02 to his credit, and it shows. He might not quite match Oshii in his sweeping city shots, but he can at least come close without making you resent what you're not getting.

The problem is the leads. Patlabor has one of the best casts in mech anime, from Goto's core competence hidden under a layer of laziness to Izumi's gung-ho love for Alphonse. You get to know just about everyone, and you generally like them. Even minor characters like Takahiro Matsui and Tamiko Shinshi and villains like Richard Wong are fun to have around.

The movie, meanwhile, just has... two random detectives. Now, new leads aren't the worst idea. It's a little odd when we already have Takahiro to play investigator, but it can work. You can have an outside prospective on the usual leads, and provide a different kind of story. (Discworld has some excellent examples with Vimes. When he's the viewpoint character, he's the only sane man in the city. When he's not, he's the most suspicious obstructionist bastard ever to draw breath. And both fit.) The thing is, we hardly get any interaction with the main crew, and what we do get doesn't show them in a different light. Goto is still Goto, same as always. And what's worse?

The new guys are boring! In a series known for larger-than-life characters, we get two thinly sketched and mundane figures instead, with no moments to really tell us why these people are interesting and worth focusing on.

(Maybe that's for the best in some ways. SV2 saves the day in the end, and if the protagonists were more interesting, it'd feel bad to have their win snatched away by people with minor cameo roles.)

It's really odd, basically. Not terrible, but odd. Especially as the last Patlabor thing until Next Generation and Reboot back in the mid 2010s.

(For terrible, there's still Back Arrow. I really have no idea what that show wants to do, but it's failing at it.)

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
So is Bandai's new mecha franchise supposed to be based on the 30MM Gunpla or is it an entirely new mecha series to then create a line of Gunpla for?

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Arcsquad12 posted:

So is Bandai's new mecha franchise supposed to be based on the 30MM Gunpla or is it an entirely new mecha series to then create a line of Gunpla for?

That second one.

wielder
Feb 16, 2008

chiasaur11 posted:

(For terrible, there's still Back Arrow. I really have no idea what that show wants to do, but it's failing at it.)

I'd still much rather watch it than that Patlabor movie you discussed, but then again you're going for a "Carthago delenda est" thing and I can almost appreciate that.

But enough talking in circles. How do y'all feel about this?

quote:

Anime production company AIC announced on Friday that it has concluded an agreement to transfer partial ownership of some of its existing copyrights to Toei Agency, with the two companies now sharing joint ownership. The intellectual properties that the two companies now share include the Megazone 23 franchise, Hades Project Zeorymer, Dangaioh, the Bubblegum Crisis franchise, the Gall Force franchise, and the Tenchi Muyo! franchise.

https://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2021-04-16/aic-toei-agency-sign-deal-to-co-own-megazone-23-tenchi-muyo-other-classic-anime/.171765

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

Back Arrow was going for :stonklol: this week

i do think the stuff with Dr. Sola suddenly dying dramatically??? lol was pretty bad though. feels like a very rushed development compared to everything else this ep having had several episodes to be set up.

wielder
Feb 16, 2008

dogsicle posted:

Back Arrow was going for :stonklol: this week

i do think the stuff with Dr. Sola suddenly dying dramatically??? lol was pretty bad though. feels like a very rushed development compared to everything else this ep having had several episodes to be set up.

Sure, that part with him did feel like the sort of thing they really needed more time or better animation to sell me on. I did smirk at my being proven right about what was going on with the whole bird thing though, plus I also like seeing anime characters creating their own country/faction as a show of independence from existing powers.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy

wielder posted:

I'd still much rather watch it than that Patlabor movie you discussed, but then again you're going for a "Carthago delenda est" thing and I can almost appreciate that.

But enough talking in circles. How do y'all feel about this?

https://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2021-04-16/aic-toei-agency-sign-deal-to-co-own-megazone-23-tenchi-muyo-other-classic-anime/.171765

could be cool, could be bad?

gimme gall force blurays thanks

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

Wild that they would want to make more Zeorymer. Also I hope the new Megazone sequel continues the story of part 3 and is all about Hard On, because it makes me giggle.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
The Zeorymer OVA is so much better than the manga it's hilarious.

Shaezerus
Mar 24, 2008

God? Or perhaps a devil?
Show me which you'll choose!
Zeorymer OVA is incredibly bad but it's also the incredibly fun kind of bad. Being about two hours long is a significant plus, it's basically just a weird B movie and I'd watch it several times over with different friend groups just to make fun of it.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Shaezerus posted:

Zeorymer OVA is incredibly bad but it's also the incredibly fun kind of bad. Being about two hours long is a significant plus, it's basically just a weird B movie and I'd watch it several times over with different friend groups just to make fun of it.

Yeah I never really got the hate for it. It's nice to look at, has good music, doesn't overstay its welcome, and is hilariously goofy. If it were a full length series it would be awful, but it's not.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine
Plus it has another good thing going for it, it makes great SRW fodder

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

drrockso20 posted:

Plus it has another good thing going for it, it makes great SRW fodder

I'm not sure you can say that about something that only showed up outside of the mobile game twice and both of those were over 15 years ago.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

Obviously that means it's time for a revival. Since Hathaway's Flash is currently a thing to promote, have the Zeorymer alongside the Xi and Penelope and someone can make the obvious references.

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

The back half of Tekkaman Blade is really starting to drag, there have been multiple eps in a row where the bad guy shows up, blows some stuff up, fights Blade, and then flies away saying he'll be back next time. But then there are also episodes that far outshine anything in the first half, which never really dragged but definitely had some episodes be a lot more interesting than others and they were always almost but not quite becoming something great. It's definitely a show that could have been a lot shorter and I still have almost 20 episodes left to watch, so we'll see what happens to my viewing pace.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Well, if we're talking bad, I just watched the 1988 Appleseed OVA.

To start with, it puts the lie to the idea that all old OVAs are good looking. It's ugly, and ugly in a bland way on top. Unlike the manga, which has Shirow's usual style, it's really flat looking. All the people look bland, and all the lighting looks sterile, but not in a thematically fitting way that emphasizes the nature of life in the utopian city of Olympus, but in a boring, "we didn't even try" way. I assumed that a hand drawn OVA would at least look better than the butt ugly CG of the early 2000s anime, but at least that has, like, shadows. It's ugly, but the world has texture, and fights have mildly interesting shots. 1988's OVA doesn't even manage that.

Structurally, the film is based on one of the plots from the manga, but done worse in about every way. Where the manga opens with the leads, Briareos Hecatonchires and Deunan Knute, living on their own in the post-apocalyptic ruins, letting us see the world alongside them, the OVA opens with the antagonist's backstory, and never shows us the outside world.

That's a major mistake. Without the opening, Deunan just feels like another cog in the city's machinery rather than an outsider trying to decide if it's the right path for humanity's future, losing all the internal conflict in the manga without picking up anything good in exchange. (It also loses the whole backstory with Deunan being a natural perfect soldier type who's bad at teamwork with strangers, which kind of makes her feel flat.)

In a more understandable move, the film reduces the complicated internal politics of the city to enemy terrorists with an inside man who expresses the themes of the story. It makes sense to simplify when you only have an hour, but the traitor to the police spends so much time doing the shifty eyed dog that it's a wonder he wasn't caught earlier. Especially when it turns out the government can read memories and has every reason to suspect he hates them.

So much for the plot. As for action?

Also bad. There's no good mech fights, the giant walking tank is never deployed, and the final battle is the protagonist trying to snipe a stationary target with a pistol. Fine in a manga, but they really didn't sell it in the anime.

I know Appleseed has a bad reputation as an anime, but it's nice to finally put a face on it. Especially since the manga was at least interesting.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
That's sad, cause I always thought Appleseed was Shirow's best manga.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
the ova was at least better than any of the cg movies.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
SF Debris is a video review guy who rarely dives into Anime. He's talking about Patlabor: The Movie.

He's a self admitted outsider to Anime, but he usually drops some good insights. He's pretty quick to pick up on Oshii's director styles, even if he's not quite able to convey that directly.

Arc Hammer fucked around with this message at 03:40 on Apr 22, 2021

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

MonsieurChoc posted:

That's sad, cause I always thought Appleseed was Shirow's best manga.

I can see that.

I enjoyed Dominion more as a straight up comedy, but Appleseed did a good job of tying its philosophical and political pondering into the actual story, and while Deunan is cut from the same cloth as the Major and Leona, the story puts more emphasis on her flaws as actual flaws rather than comedy beats. It also has a strong emotional center with Deunan and Briareos's relationship that you don't really get from the other series.

The OVA abandoned most of what made it work, though, including the gorgeous art. It still tried to gesture at the core themes with the villain's motivation, but removing any focus on the ruins from the war means we don't see what the city is a reaction to.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

Oh God those were disappointing. "Appleseed ! CGI ! WTF is this poo poo ?"

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

It's not it's just bad in a different direction

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

Get hosed Harmony Gold:

https://macross.jp/news/?id=1442

quote:

Bigwest Begins Global Release of Animation “Macross” Series from April 9

Bigwest Co., Ltd. has announced the release of all works that are part of the “Macross” franchise made after 1987 to a worldwide audience from April 9, 2021. This not only includes the “Macross Delta” film currently in production, but all new material that follows it as well. This is not limited to anime titles, but also includes games, toys, live performances and other content and merchandising as well. The company has prepared an official YouTube channel as well as a Twitter account for its fans.

Twitter::@MACROSS_BIGWEST
YouTube:MACROSS ch
★“The Super Dimension Fortress Macross: Flash Back 2012” Streaming for Limited Time★
(※For outside of Japan only)

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

Omnicrom posted:

Get hosed Harmony Gold:

I’m pretty sure based off the deal from a month or so ago Harmony Gold will get a piece of all the money made.

Siegkrow
Oct 11, 2013

Arguing about Lore for 5 years and counting

Ethiser posted:

I’m pretty sure based off the deal from a month or so ago Harmony Gold will get a piece of all the money made.

I am Chilean and I am very mad I didn't get macross for all these decades just because a US company was throwing a poo poo fit.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Ethiser posted:

The deal said nothing about a co-licensing agreement, only that Harmony Gold will not attempt to block Big West from licensing Macross outside of Japan

Ardeem
Sep 16, 2010

There is no problem that cannot be solved through sufficient application of lasers and friendship.
Wait, everything after 1987? They're actually going for the nightmare that is the Macross 7 music rights? :aaaaa::aaaaa::aaaaa:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Ardeem posted:

Wait, everything after 1987? They're actually going for the nightmare that is the Macross 7 music rights? :aaaaa::aaaaa::aaaaa:

I guess you could say that they decided to...

Try Again.