Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY
I know, right? It's such an amazing example of form follows function flow between lore and gameplay

(i'm being charitable here, before you all howl at me)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PathAsc
Nov 15, 2011

Hail SS-18 Satan may he cleanse us with nuclear fire

PISS TAPE IS REAL

Oh boy guardian Olympics time

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

I haven't played for a while and when I logged in got the cutscene with the Cabal leader telling Zavala to bow and then after that it immediately started matchmaking for a battleground which I cancelled because I just wanted to quickly check the ornaments for sale and log off. Have I accidentally done a silly thing or will battlegrounds still work for me when I next play the game?

I think season stuff sticks around for a year now? I've been really busy and still haven't finished the BL campaign or seen anything regarding Crow's seasonal event things in the Dreaming City (I remember screenshots showing weird tree things growing and Hive?), and just popped on quickly here and there to see if there's something cool I wanna snag from the store because space Barbie is fun. I hope I'm not gonna miss out on this stuff because the battlegrounds look fun as heck and what I've heard of Presage (I think that's right?) sounds really awesome.

Also, is Guardian Games a chance to earn the Heirophant (sp?) gun again or was that tied to the dawning event?

Azubah
Jun 5, 2007

It should nudge you towards doing that battleground again, it's basically a mini strike for the season story.

Seasonal activities should stick around until the next expansion rolls around, the harbinger (hawkmoon re-roll activity) and the other activity from last season are still around.

Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

What was the verdict on the new Iron Banner perks in the end? Got a couple Iron Gazes and couldn't get it to work for poo poo, but I got the SMG with Iron Reach this time and it seems pretty good? It's got steady rounds to help out a bit and a scope that adds another 11 range. Handheld grip as well, but I never know if that's worth it.

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

Iron Grip and Iron Reach have massive potential. Iron Gaze is eh, especially when you can get Moving Target on the weapon.

Funkameleon
Jan 27, 2009

SUNKOS posted:

Also, is Guardian Games a chance to earn the Heirophant (sp?) gun again or was that tied to the dawning event?

Heir Apparent, and yeah it's earnable during the games.

Majere
Oct 22, 2005
So glad I got that from the kiosk before they took it away. Just barely missed getting it from last years Games.

Also, I have a 64 pack of crayola here and a poop-sock, ready to punch the poo poo outta everything for the glory of titans.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

does middle-tree arc Titan's "melee" have any use in pvp whatsoever? (If it weren't for the super recharge I wouldn't even use it in pve - but at least there I can get OHKOs. Seems too awkward and disorienting to use without that guarantee)

for void, i get the impression i always want to be top tree in pve groups, even if the content isn't exactly hard. is Weapons of Light that powerful a buff?

Bideo James
Oct 21, 2020

you'll have to ask someone else about the size of her cans

Ciaphas posted:

does middle-tree arc Titan's "melee" have any use in pvp whatsoever? (If it weren't for the super recharge I wouldn't even use it in pve - but at least there I can get OHKOs. Seems too awkward and disorienting to use without that guarantee)

for void, i get the impression i always want to be top tree in pve groups, even if the content isn't exactly hard. is Weapons of Light that powerful a buff?

Yeah you can jump around corners with it and take out 3 people standing on a flag on Iron Banner. Combined Middle tree with ANY melee exotic and youre in for a fun time.

sure okay
Apr 7, 2006

Kesper North posted:

When I started playing, I was right where you are.

Since then, I have died in the Crucible 54,999 times, as of this moment, per my stats on DestinyTracker. I have played almost 5000 matches since the game's inception across the various Valor playlists. I have lost so many that at some point, the field in which I grew my fucks became barren, and then I was just screwing around, having fun, shooting mans. You have to burn the sting of loss out of yourself by iterating so many times that it ceases to become a distraction.

Very thematically appropriate for Guardians, really.

The key is to lose thousands, and thousands, and thousands of matches, until you stop caring so much about winning the match - because out of those thousands of matches, what is one match? One is one death? One death is nothing. One match is nothing. You've died thousands of times. It didn't matter then, it doesn't matter now, you just focus on the current situation and how to adapt to it. It doesn't matter if the player who kills you over and over is aimbotting or simply better than you. It just becomes yet another problem to be solved. Preferably with a totally k-rad blind bankshot multikill using Fighting Lion.

You might enjoy the Rumble playlist, since it's a deathmatch there are no allies to gently caress you over, it's all on you! ;) It's really good for building map awareness.

Here's where my brain breaks:

I have a quest to get kills in Crucible. Maybe with X gun so I need to last hit.

I play a match and get no kills. "You may never get another kill in your lifetime" I think, because chance has no memory, and far less likely things have happened. I may literally play until my death and never get one more kill for this quest (not to mention the 20 I need).

So then I play a second game and get lots of assists and also no kills for my quest and then I log off for 6 months.

I've done variants of this maybe 5 or 6 times now.

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

Ciaphas posted:

I've seen it used with Synthoceps or Dunemarchers to knock out clustered enemies - 3 Guardians together might be enough to oneshot with syntho, if not it's very close. I personally find it very finicky to even trigger and hate using it.

PERMACAV 50
Jul 24, 2007

because we are cat

Ciaphas posted:

1. Yes, it’s +25% damage for everyone for ten seconds and they can reset the timer by running through the bubble again. [Edit—with Helm of Saint-14 the overshield from the bubble persists after you/allies leave it AND any adds that enter it get blinded, which is also good.]
2. Bubble titan melee is one of my favorite things for raids and GMs. Overshields for everyone!
3. The comedy potential of dropping a bubble when you’re being invaded in Gambit can’t be beat. Step into my office. I dare you. Unless you’re a stasis titan.

PERMACAV 50 fucked around with this message at 18:43 on Apr 20, 2021

SgtSteel91
Oct 21, 2010

The middle tree arc titan punch also gives you extra weapon damage, so the idea is while the enemy is flying in the air as they're knocked back you can follow it up with an easy clean up

Exotics like Synthoceps and Dunemarchers can sometimes turn it into a one-hit kill, but that's rare unless three guys are grouped together on a point

SgtSteel91 fucked around with this message at 18:30 on Apr 20, 2021

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Ciaphas posted:

Middle tree has a useful role in GMs, because it both protects and buffs damage for your teammates while still letting them shoot (whereas with bubble they can be fully protected* or can shoot, but can't do both at the same time), and with Ursa Furiosa you'll have 90% of your super back by the time it's run out.

*Starless Night overshields aren't going to cut it in the sort of situations you're using the shield for in GMs.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Anyone got the Tucked Away achieve for getting all the smughlers caches yet? Any idea what the reward is? Just trying to work out if I should bother as they get deeper into the mission.

SgtSteel91
Oct 21, 2010

Bobby Deluxe posted:

Anyone got the Tucked Away achieve for getting all the smughlers caches yet? Any idea what the reward is? Just trying to work out if I should bother as they get deeper into the mission.

I think it's just the Triumph but the final cache is supposed to be a room where you can see the Crown of Sorrow from all the way back from Season of Opulence, for a nice easter egg

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Kesper North posted:

When I started playing, I was right where you are.

Since then, I have died in the Crucible 54,999 times, as of this moment, per my stats on DestinyTracker. I have played almost 5000 matches since the game's inception across the various Valor playlists. I have lost so many that at some point, the field in which I grew my fucks became barren, and then I was just screwing around, having fun, shooting mans. You have to burn the sting of loss out of yourself by iterating so many times that it ceases to become a distraction.

Very thematically appropriate for Guardians, really.

The key is to lose thousands, and thousands, and thousands of matches, until you stop caring so much about winning the match - because out of those thousands of matches, what is one match? One is one death? One death is nothing. One match is nothing. You've died thousands of times. It didn't matter then, it doesn't matter now, you just focus on the current situation and how to adapt to it. It doesn't matter if the player who kills you over and over is aimbotting or simply better than you. It just becomes yet another problem to be solved. Preferably with a totally k-rad blind bankshot multikill using Fighting Lion.

You might enjoy the Rumble playlist, since it's a deathmatch there are no allies to gently caress you over, it's all on you! ;) It's really good for building map awareness.
I appreciate this post :shobon:

sometimes days like today though, instead of worrying about winning I'd settle for not being the blatant anchor on teams :negative:

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

sure okay posted:

Here's where my brain breaks:

I have a quest to get kills in Crucible. Maybe with X gun so I need to last hit.

I play a match and get no kills. "You may never get another kill in your lifetime" I think, because chance has no memory, and far less likely things have happened. I may literally play until my death and never get one more kill for this quest (not to mention the 20 I need).

So then I play a second game and get lots of assists and also no kills for my quest and then I log off for 6 months.

I've done variants of this maybe 5 or 6 times now.

My earliest matches were a lot like this! Some tips:

* Don't try to play Crucible when you're tired. You need to be as fast as possible. With practice, you will grow to be faster than you ever thought possible.

* In Control, one thing I found helped to focus on as a newbie is running around and trying to cap zones when the enemies are engaging your team elsewhere. This gets you into a lot more solo engagements with other people who are away from the main group, meaning you're less likely to be instagibbed.

* Armor bonuses. I can only speak for Warlocks: Make sure you're running 100 mobility. I can't emphasize this enough. Gotta go fast (except in Trials where 100 res apparently dominates the meta). Shoot for as close to 100 recovery as you can (a lot of people seem to like lower mobility and more recovery; I think they are insane). IMO, if you don't have 100 mobility in Crucible you are crippled and will die a lot more than you would otherwise. It also lets you pull off lots of sick stunts once you get used to it. Some people find it too 'floaty' but as warlock with strafe glide to me it's the tops.

* Try to use a single set of weapons and armor consistently until you start getting regular kills with them, even if this means ignoring bounties. PRACTICE PRACTICE PRACTICE. Dead Man's Tale (with ~dark trigger~ for the hipfire bonus), 120rpm Handcannons and shotguns are generally the go-tos in Crucible at the moment, with an honorable mention for sniper rifles, Bastion, Jotunn, etc. 120rpm HCs are getting a moderate nerf next season so they may fall off the top spot, we'll see.

* pRacTiCe pRacTiCe pRacTiCe. Practice hitting a precise target with hipfire while moving (on NPCs) using the PVP loadout you chose. Practice hitting a precise target while ADS while moving, while jumping, while flying. Try whipping your reticle to different targets and taking snapshots. The idea is to be as fast as possible and precise as possible, going for those headshots.

* During a match, keep one eye on your radar. Always make sure you have an idea of the relative bearing (direction) to the targets around you, monitor their movements, and watch the radar to see if the redness gets more intense (meaning that the enemy is closer). Over time you will develop a sort of spooky proprioception sense of where enemies are on the map, and even where they're going as your mind builds a subconscious understanding of the ebb and flow of a match.

* Learn how to combine your powers. Stasis is ridiculous if you think about how to use it creatively in various situations. You can easily one-hit melee someone who is frozen. Make use of that fact. With iceflare bolts and the ranged melee on warlocks 2v1 and 3v1 situations become easily tractable, because freezing one enemy successfully usually freezes another in close proximity when they're grouped together, and you can often shatter both simultaneously with a single melee (or ranged melee - using iceflare bolts in combination with the ranged melee attacks works sublimely well. Freeze with the grenade, then shatter the targets with the ranged melee). I also love the warlock AOE freeze rift ability in Stasis. If you are very cunning and/or lucky, you can catch an entire enemy team in your rift, punch one of them and make them all explode. I have done this. It is EXTREMELY satisfying.

* As you learn how to combine and use your powers in various sticky situations, try to think about how you're going to use them as you move around the map. Adopt an "observe, orient, decide, act" mindset that sort of runs on repeat in your head. Every time you make a kill or move into a new area, check your radar, check the surroundings, watch for movement and listen for weapons fire - build up an image of the map in your mind. Where people are, your team and the other. What they're doing. Use that image to develop a plan of action for how you'll deal with the number of enemies you're facing in a room. In order to be fast enough, you need to have a plan in your head before you ever go into the room, and then execute that plan. There is some room to improvise, but it's hard and you need to be super quick - the more experience you have, the more room to improvise you'll gain. Speed and surprise also give you more opportunities for improvisation (or to repair your missed shots and mistakes).

Example: Let's say I am approaching a cap point and I have two powers up, my grenade and my rift. (Always be aware of what powers you have up. These are your tools.) On my radar (always be checking your radar) I see a broad, bright band of contact that suggests multiple enemies at the cap point. I can also hear a fair amount of weapons fire coming from some distance away, suggesting that this is a small cluster of enemies and not the entire enemy team. So far so good! Well with those two powers up I feel pretty good about taking on multiple enemies, so I enter the cap point at high speed and high altitude, trying to ensure that I am out of the other players FOV, and as I move through the entrance I'm watching my radar like a hawk as it resolves the traces down to the point where I can see that there's two clusters of enemies, with two red guys on the cap point proper and one on the other side of a wall. I toss my grenade on the cap point because it can quickly freeze those two enemies - they're in close proximity, and I shatter them with one punch. Then, I wait for the third guy to come around the wall and cast my rift just in time to freeze him while simultaneously healing me. Boom, three enemies are dead in under a second and I'm capping the point while doing the "Never Gonna Give You Up" dance in my rift. The idea is that if you plan ahead - even if it's only two seconds ahead!! - you can perform way better than you do if you're just constantly reacting to what everyone else does.

* Make everyone react to you, not vice versa. Turn every action into forward motion towards the goal. If you gently caress up your jump and bounce off something, redirect the motion somewhere useful. If you miss a shot make the enemy flinch into your next one.

* Turn the music down, or off, so you can focus on environmental sounds and hear where enemies are coming from.

* Alternatively, rock out to your favorite tunes to help you relax and get into the flow of the action.

* Never stop moving.

* Never stop posting.

* Never not believin' in yoself

Some wisdom from a not very good pvper. Hope this helps.

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Good Hunter, what... what is this post?

Bobby Deluxe posted:

can't get it yet, there's like 12 of them, one for each lore page

one per week and we're on week 10 or 11 or something

if you're doing one mission per week for the exotic drop then, just pick up last week's secret chest as you do

Horsebanger
Jun 25, 2009

Steering wheel! Hey! Steering wheel! Someone tell him to give it to me!

Kesper North posted:

* pRacTiCe pRacTiCe pRacTiCe.

This is imo the best takeaway. You can't become good at a mode by dipping your toes into it.

Don't care if you win or lose, care about bounties.

I've been playing FPSs since quake 3 and I still have good days and bad days. My aim is and always will be garbage.

As always, play with goons so you can laugh and get the memes in. When someone on your comms gets a dirty kill and chuckles, then recalls the tale your mood lightens and you play better.

As for trials? you can practice in elimination, Dipping your toes in on weekends for a gun is good!

Horsebanger
Jun 25, 2009

Steering wheel! Hey! Steering wheel! Someone tell him to give it to me!
Ramen is my favourite emblem and I will ramen until the end of time.

I switch to other ones for fun/reasons but always come back for Ramen

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

Horsebanger posted:

Ramen is my favourite emblem and I will ramen until the end of time.

I switch to other ones for fun/reasons but always come back for Ramen

Ramen/ramen emote is pro tier

McLarenF1
Jan 9, 2004

Looking to Buy a McLaren, Anyone Selling One .... Cheap?
I've been rocking the The Golden Standard emblem from Iron Banner. I got the 'get seven final blows without taking any damage' gold medal with my opening shot / zen moment Trustee scout rifle and a lot of luck.

SgtSteel91
Oct 21, 2010

I have the emblem you get from completing the Niobe Labs challenge on one of my characters with the Blacksmith title

Wang
Apr 10, 2003

dance dance ferret revolution

Speaking of the Ramen emote, it is the twitch prime reward this go round so grab it if you're missing it.

ClydeFrog
Apr 13, 2007

my body is a temple to an idiot god
Woo did Presage solo flawless and then got an actual title come up as well when I finished scanning a thing which was nice. I am now Chosen. The easiest title to get I think as it doesn't involve much apart from my own time.

I've just had the honour of being called a "sweat" by a friend's child who plays with us sometimes. This middle aged lady was so happy to hear the annoyance in the voice of a nine year old, that it immediately swept aside all concerns about spending this pandemic pretending to be a smashy space puncher - instead of learning a language or instrument, improving my technical skillset or even organising my sock drawer.

Truly a good day.

ClydeFrog fucked around with this message at 19:09 on Apr 21, 2021

Arkage
Aug 10, 2008

Things fall apart;
the centre cannot hold
Got my Heir Apparent. Not sure if I want to bother with the cat or just dip for the rest of the season. Sorry fellow Titans, I'm a lazy bastard.

Mill Village
Jul 27, 2007

So today is Crucible day in Guardian Games. The daily bounties from Eva don't count PVP kills, but the PVP bounties you buy from her work in PVE. :confused:

Hobnob
Feb 23, 2006

Ursa Adorandum

Arkage posted:

Got my Heir Apparent. Not sure if I want to bother with the cat or just dip for the rest of the season. Sorry fellow Titans, I'm a lazy bastard.

Supposedly it upgrades the spun-up shield from "good" to "crazy good". It seems a bit of a chore to finish the cat quest, but at least the gun itself was simple enough to obtain.

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

Mill Village posted:

So today is Crucible day in Guardian Games. The daily bounties from Eva don't count PVP kills, but the PVP bounties you buy from her work in PVE. :confused:

Yeah, skipping today and coming back tomorrow to get back to work on Heir Apparent. Only part of the event I care about and I'm sure the Icefall Mantle interaction will be nerfed.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9RvHFPqw1IM

Apparently you can do 14 cards at once.

Mill Village
Jul 27, 2007

Bobby Deluxe posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9RvHFPqw1IM

Apparently you can do 14 cards at once.

As he says in the comment section, its already been patched.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Ah gently caress.

Arkage
Aug 10, 2008

Things fall apart;
the centre cannot hold
There's no feeling quite like the exploit FOMO feeling.

Mill Village
Jul 27, 2007

Arkage posted:

There's no feeling quite like the exploit FOMO feeling.

This is a very easy event to complete and you have 3 weeks to do it. There's hardly any FOMO here. I don't think I've spent even 3 hours on this event and I'm almost done.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

Hobnob posted:

Supposedly it upgrades the spun-up shield from "good" to "crazy good". It seems a bit of a chore to finish the cat quest, but at least the gun itself was simple enough to obtain.

When your shield breaks it reloads 100 bullets into your mag

Mesadoram
Nov 4, 2009

Serious Business
So in a nightfall I got called trash by a TTV player that I never heard of.

That's cool I guess. I will never understand the logic of toxic players, especially ones on a public platform.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
Like a matchmade Nightfall? I can't imagine not just having fun with matchmade games. I've had the most fun in Nightfalls with dudes I've had to revive like 400 times.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mesadoram
Nov 4, 2009

Serious Business

muike posted:

Like a matchmade Nightfall? I can't imagine not just having fun with matchmade games. I've had the most fun in Nightfalls with dudes I've had to revive like 400 times.

Yup it was just a pub. I wasn't even doing "bad", I was just not catering to their every need.