Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bandire
Jul 12, 2002

a rabid potato

I know I've been critical in the past of the bend tests this guy does, but this is pretty lol. It looks like it takes no effort at all to snap this thing in half. He even breaks it a third time with a normal amount of effort.

https://www.theverge.com/2021/4/8/22373985/lenovo-legion-phone-duel-2-jerryrigeverything-youtube-bend-test-fragile

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:
I unironically give weight to Zack's bend test, and both my current and previous phone were brick shithouses of chassis stiffness, and a far cry from the paper thin metal and glueless plastic snaps of the Nexus 5.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

https://www.anandtech.com/show/16614/xiaomi-mi-11-lite-5g-performance-report-first-taste-of-the-snapdragon-780/2

The SD780 looks to be a solid improvement on the SD855. So, midrange handsets should be able to confidently outperform 2019 flagships and are within spitting distance of the SD865.

What if the Pixel 5a has the SD780 for around $500? It seems like that would be pretty drat good value. It also raises the bar pretty high for whitechapel.

It also has me wondering if that's what the S21FE will be using this year. The S21 is pretty much what the FE was last year, so they need some way to bring it down in price so I'm doubting they will have a SD888 in it this year.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

bull3964 posted:

https://www.anandtech.com/show/16614/xiaomi-mi-11-lite-5g-performance-report-first-taste-of-the-snapdragon-780/2

The SD780 looks to be a solid improvement on the SD855. So, midrange handsets should be able to confidently outperform 2019 flagships and are within spitting distance of the SD865.

What if the Pixel 5a has the SD780 for around $500? It seems like that would be pretty drat good value. It also raises the bar pretty high for whitechapel.

It also has me wondering if that's what the S21FE will be using this year. The S21 is pretty much what the FE was last year, so they need some way to bring it down in price so I'm doubting they will have a SD888 in it this year.

I wonder if Google will price the Pixel 6 at $800 - $1000 this year.

I think, after people scoffing at the Pixel 4 at that price and upset about the Pixel 5 being $700 literally only because of Verizon, they might be better off at $600-$649..but who knows... they'll probably stick with $700 - $800.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

ThermoPhysical posted:

I wonder if Google will price the Pixel 6 at $800 - $1000 this year.

I think, after people scoffing at the Pixel 4 at that price and upset about the Pixel 5 being $700 literally only because of Verizon, they might be better off at $600-$649..but who knows... they'll probably stick with $700 - $800.

I think it's gonna be completely in the air on pricing until July or August when they start leaking firmer info on what the processor is going to look like. Could just be google working with samsung to sidestep some of the supply chain problems.

A Proper Uppercut
Sep 30, 2008

Is there a way to let Google assistant do stuff like start navigating with the phone locked? I was on my motorcycle the other day and wanted to navigate home using Ok Google, but it told me to unlock my phone first, which was in my backpack, so that's really annoying. I also have some wifi enabled lights that I can't turn off unless I unlock my phone first. It's very annoying.

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

There's a 'respond to hey google even if the screen is off' setting. Search for voice match in assistant settings

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE

Skarsnik posted:

There's a 'respond to hey google even if the screen is off' setting. Search for voice match in assistant settings

Pretty sure that's still going to ask you to unlock any time it delegates function to a different app like Maps.

I think the only real workaround is using something like Trusted Devices to stay unlocked while in your proximity, assuming you have a Bluetooth device like a smartwatch.

A Proper Uppercut
Sep 30, 2008

isndl posted:

Pretty sure that's still going to ask you to unlock any time it delegates function to a different app like Maps.

I think the only real workaround is using something like Trusted Devices to stay unlocked while in your proximity, assuming you have a Bluetooth device like a smartwatch.

This sounds promising, I'll give it a shot.

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

Hughmoris posted:

Anyone using their old phones for anything interesting?

Today, I dusted off the P3XL after 8 months of retirement. Currently getting all the security updates and patches installed, and trying to think of anything useful to do with it other than let it gather more dust.

I actually just updated from my 2XL finally but it still works fine.

I was thinking of eventually giving that /E/ OS a try and see if their work for a private sort of Android is worth looking at or not I guess. Tinker with that and some other OS's maybe, and overall still use the camera on occasion and keep as a still good backup phone.

The replacement I got will be mocked probably in here, but it checked all the little goofy buttons for something different for a phone that doesn't involve bending plastic screens.

The LG Wing 5G

Sprint(T-Mobile) dropped the price down to $599 and I figured id nab one before they become unobtainable as new devices. Today waa my first full day with the thing fully transfered, setup, and activated, and I really couldn't be happier. This thing is a blast to use and LG really did very good tuning the UI when using the 2nd screen, and actually having a pretty clean and unbloated OS when using the phone as a normal phone. Far cry from the old LG G3 OS back in the day lol.

Funny as the Pixel 2XL was also LG made so indirectly I've been LG for a while with only the Nexus 6P in between my G3 and the 2XL.

I did a pretty big writeup on my view on the Wing in the Sprint Thread if anyone would be interested to read it. Otherwise if anyone has any questions about it let me know.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

EdEddnEddy posted:

The replacement I got will be mocked probably in here, but it checked all the little goofy buttons for something different for a phone that doesn't involve bending plastic screens.

The LG Wing 5G

lol but good on your for accepting it :)

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Bluetooth has gotten unbearable in my car since I installed this dash mount thing for my phone. My understanding is the antennae on phones are those little lines you see near the corners around the bezel? The thing doesn't interfere with that but its just been awful. Maybe its my app (poweramp). Anyway, civic doesn't have 3.5mm port but does have HDMI that I've never used in 6 years. Went and got a HDMI-USB C adapter and that works. Now, the first adapter I bought was for my laptop, it wasn't just straight up conversion, its a hub which had HDMI, USB, VGA, tried it in the car and it worked. I went and ordered the straight adapter for the car. I gotta test it again, but I feel like I could skip songs with the wheel controls on the other adapter, I cant now, so its basically worthless. However, oddly enough, Samsung Dex works on the cars display now, though the resolution is unbearably low. The car being a 2015, the screen is hardly bigger than my phone so that doesn't have much utility anyhow, especially when you consider it only works in park.

Guess I'm gonna have to get a....USB->3.5mm->USB C. gently caress Honda and their hard on for apple

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

got a new phone and android 11 with it and wow immediately i both love and hate the new gesture navigation implementation. love because swipe from the side to go back is both really intuitive and way more convenient that reaching for the back button every time

and hate because, oops, as it turns out like 90% of android apps have swiping in from the side to open the menu as a shortcut and now you can't use that and instead have to reach for the menu button every time. so really it just traded one inconvenience for another. i guess i'll have to see which one is more annoying over the course of a few days.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

If it helps, the new UI guidelines push developers away from using a slide out menu like that so it should eventually be replaced.

Depending on phone, you can get pretty good at doing the swipe in for menu gesture by going diagonal rather than straight in.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

I mean how bad would it loving be to just add half an inch to the bottom of the phone for navigation buttons? hell, use USB-C and have pass through so you can still charge? - wait. I should manufacture that and sell it shouldn't I. Ah it'll never happen. One of you do it.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
You can just turn the nav buttons back on...

But I got used to the gestures pretty quick.

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

Yea once you get used to them, you still make little mistakes here and there (hello swiping back in e-mail and instead, it swipes the e-mail to trash or something) but overall its a smaller gesture then most apps do for their pull out if they still have that. You are coming in from the far edge and slightly moving to go back, where the swipe out for menus and such usually requires a little more movement.

On the Pixel 2 you did get to live through the 3 button, 2 button, and Gesture options and while I actually liked 2 button a lot, the Gestures grew on me over time and now are pretty second nature.

On the Wing you can actually remove the little white bar at the bottom now too. My 2XL's original screen had that stupid thing slightly burned into it after 3 years of sitting there pointlessly.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Amppelix posted:

got a new phone and android 11 with it and wow immediately i both love and hate the new gesture navigation implementation. love because swipe from the side to go back is both really intuitive and way more convenient that reaching for the back button every time

and hate because, oops, as it turns out like 90% of android apps have swiping in from the side to open the menu as a shortcut and now you can't use that and instead have to reach for the menu button every time. so really it just traded one inconvenience for another. i guess i'll have to see which one is more annoying over the course of a few days.

I'll admit to not using a bunch of apps but I've only got one that has an interfering side menu and it hasn't been updated since like 2015. Everything these days works fine.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

codo27 posted:

I mean how bad would it loving be to just add half an inch to the bottom of the phone for navigation buttons?
you literally can, i just don't want to because swipe to go back is too good

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

I just use the nav button gestures, swiping up from the middle/left/right to replace home/back/menu felt very intuitive after using it for just a couple of days.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

also yeah after actually going through my apps that was a way overreaction on how many of them actually use that swipe in from the side-style of menu, i just happened to land on a couple that did immediately

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

My only gripe with gestures is that they gently caress with really marginal situations where I'm trying to select text or crop a photo and have to select/drag from the very edge of the screen. Hell I wouldn't even call it a gripe, sort of a minor occasional speed bump that isn't enough of a problem to send me back to the buttons.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

codo27 posted:

Guess I'm gonna have to get a....USB->3.5mm->USB C. gently caress Honda and their hard on for apple

That isn't going to let you skip songs using the cars built in controls either. I don't think a straight 3.5mm cable would either so your only real option is to get Bluetooth working.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!
Just lol at the latest iPad having the M1 chip in it. Here I am, still abusing my Nexus 7 2013. Google seemingly dropped the ball hard on tablets and watches.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

My gmail widget doesn't update until I open it up into the inbox. Gmail is set to never sleep. This didn't happen on my old phone but is one of numerous such bugs on my s21u. Any ideas on how to get it working?

BrianRx
Jul 21, 2007
I managed to break the display connector on a Google Pixel 4 XL while trying to replace a broken screen. In my defense, the ifixit guide I was following did not mention that the display itself was glued to the midboard or that using a spudger to break the adhesive would also sever the connector, but still, my bad. I now need to recover the contents of the internal SD card and either put them on Google Drive or copy them to a computer. If the screen worked at all, this would be easy as I could turn on debug mode and just plug it in. Unfortunately, I can't enter the PIN with out using the touch screen to get past the screen lock on power on, so I think the data is encrypted (my understanding is that decryption happens at boot, but I might be wrong).

Is there a way that I can interface with the OS through a secondary device to enter the PIN (and hopefully also access debug mode settings)? Failing that, is there any software, free or otherwise, that would be able to recover the data?

I have learned my lesson about making backups before loving around with hardware.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
OTG USB -> mouse done

BrianRx
Jul 21, 2007

redeyes posted:

OTG USB -> mouse done

I should clarify that the display is completely non-functional. So if I could use the mouse instead of tapping, I'd still have no idea where the cursor is or what I'm clicking on. I would need some kind of external display. A CLI that would let me input the pin and turn on debug mode would also be fine, but again, I would need some kind of display to interact with it.

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

It may be possible with a USB keyboard, though realistically you need to test on another very similar phone to see what the keypresses would be.

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

Is there no way to replace cable for the screen? In most cases the screen and cable are one piece and just clips to the board. Is that not the case for the 4XL?

Or did you break the glass, and are trying to replace the glass only and didn't get a full screen+digitizer replacement?

Edit: yeah the replacement looks like a royal pain in the rear end, even compared to replacing the screen on my 2XL, but the connector is part of the screen so any replacement should have it with it.

EdEddnEddy fucked around with this message at 03:22 on Apr 22, 2021

BabyFur Denny
Mar 18, 2003
Why don't you just get a new phone and restore the backup that you took before disassembling your current phone

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib

BabyFur Denny posted:

Why don't you just get a new phone and restore the backup that you took before disassembling your current phone

:lol:

Maybe there's a mouse shortcut for screen casting?

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

He's pretty much hosed if he didn't already have USB Debugging enabled before he killed it.
That and if there are no Google Backups either, welp.

Though still, I don't see why getting another screen and being back and working is out of the question.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

There's USB-C OTG docks with video outputs for monitor connections but they don't all guarantee they work with every phone. I picked one up when meh had some for sale for $10 just in case.
https://smile.amazon.com/UGREEN-Charging-Adapter-Station-MacBook/dp/B07RW343WG/

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Pixels don't support wired video output

probably because they want you to buy a chromecast instead

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
this is an insane question but if you're crafty enough could u plug the guts of a pixel into like touchscreen monitor and have it boot and work lol. probably not. prob some custom drivers or some poo poo. idk. but that would be kinda neat. like make an adapter that plugs into the cable itself. that would be cool. =D but like could you solder it. or would u need some kind of translator board or something between. wow. electronics

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

repiv posted:

Pixels don't support wired video output

That's weird as hell, but good info.

edit: I broke the screen on my pixel 1 changing the battery a couple of years ago (they're really fragile) so I plunked down another $50 to get a new screen.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

repiv posted:

I really don't think that's the motivation. What weirdo plugs their phone into a TV to stream video?

Displayport cost money to license and why spend the money for such a niche use?

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

bull3964 posted:

I really don't think that's the motivation. What weirdo plugs their phone into a TV to stream video?

Displayport cost money to license and why spend the money for such a niche use?

I mean, there's a pretty huge compatibility list on the dock I posted.

quote:

USB Type C OTG Smartphone

Samsung: Galaxy S10/S10 +/S10E/S9/S9 +/S8/S8 +/Note 10+/Note 10/Note 9/Note 8; LG: V50/V40/V30/V20/G8/G7/G5

Huawei Mate 20 X/P30/P30 Pro/P20/P20 Pro/Mate 20/Mate 20 Pro/Mate 10/Mate 10 Pro, Honor View 20/View 10/Note 10

HTC: U11/U11+/U12+/10/U Ultra, BlackBerry: DTEK60, Razer: Phone/Phone 2, Sony: Xperia 1, Lumia 950/950 XL

Oneplus 7 Pro

It seems weird that pixels don't have it when their competition do.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

I mean, I guess you could say it's huge. You have Samsung which is marketing Dex so if course they do, a smartphone manufacturer that called it quits, a smartphone manufacturer that might as well called it quits, a manufacturer that doesn't sell in the US, and Oneplus which (from what I read) has a pretty buggy implementation.

Without a desktop manager, it's not a very useful feature which is likely why it's not enabled on the Pixel line.

I appreciate the thought that it's a conspiracy to sell $30 chromecasts. I'm sure the dozens of people that buy Pixels really helped Google get over 55 million cast devices in homes.