Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

uggy
Aug 6, 2006

Posting is SERIOUS BUSINESS
and I am completely joyless

Don't make me judge you
Actual double post.

I love this thread and I wish I contributed more. Are there websites folks normally get stuff from? Writers? Would it help to collect more info in the op?

I would like to support more good journalism and if that would also help me post more articles, I’d like that

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

ultrafilter posted:

His most recent article is Why Cryptocurrency Is A Giant Fraud, which I have high hopes for.

This is very good.

Lord Zedd-Repulsa
Jul 21, 2007

Devour a good book.

uggy posted:

Actual double post.

I love this thread and I wish I contributed more. Are there websites folks normally get stuff from? Writers? Would it help to collect more info in the op?

I would like to support more good journalism and if that would also help me post more articles, I’d like that

I used to get newsletters from Narratively, longform.org, longreads.com, and other places slipping my mind at the moment. People are welcome to share where they find things as well. When I don't feel like poo poo, I'll see if I want to update the OP.

nonathlon
Jul 9, 2004
And yet, somehow, now it's my fault ...
Yes, longform.org is a good one. Current Affairs tends to have lots of good long pieces too.

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

The rotting underbelly of the salmon industry.

How industry is about to gently caress up a beautiful part of Australia for very short term gains.

lifg
Dec 4, 2000
<this tag left blank>
Muldoon

uggy posted:

Actual double post.

Arts & Letters Daily at https://aldaily.com

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

Minnesota gasps at the financial damage it faces from the Texas freeze

nonathlon
Jul 9, 2004
And yet, somehow, now it's my fault ...
Big Dog's Backyard Ultra: The toughest, weirdest race you've never heard of

quote:

Think you can run 4.16666 miles in an hour? Probably.

Could you do it again the following hour? Quite possibly.

How about the hour after that? The legs might be feeling it by now.

What if you had to do it every hour for the next two or three days?

It's hard to say exactly how long you'll be running for - because this race only finishes when there's one person left standing.

Runners must be inside the starting corral (a hand-painted box on a dirt track) when Cantrell rings a bell to signal the beginning of every lap, which he set at 4.16666 miles because 24 hours adds up to 100 miles. Anyone who doesn't line up at the start is timed out.

The inflatable banner at the finish line has been cruelly doctored to add three crucial words, so it now reads 'There is no finish'. And, just to mess with runners' heads even more, there are jeerleaders - mischievous fans who heckle runners every lap with songs reminding them how weak they are and how easy it is to quit.

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

Stephen King's early novel The Long Walk is essentially this right down to messing with your mind at the finish, except they shoot you dead for going too slow in it.

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

I absolutely love backyard ultras. They're exactly my kind of nuts.

Not an article but here's a video of one in WA, Australia that is 6.71km loops.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JtomQ_Y38CA

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib
The bizarre monotony of that makes me think of the San Quentin Marathon: 105 laps around the prison yard (one of the guys mentioned in this article, Rahsaan Thomas, is now one of the hosts of the podcast Ear Hustle). https://www.gq.com/story/san-quentin-marathon

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

‘We are witnessing a crime against humanity’: Arundhati Roy on India’s Covid catastrophe

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

So long, and thanks for all the fish gallbladdΣrs!

"Sewage fungus is not what the wine industry wants people to think of when they sip a sauvignon blanc."

An environmental problem I never knew existed. It is interesting to see the interaction between big business, local government, academics, and green start-ups.

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

The Search for a Ranger Who Was Lost and Never Found

quote:

Paul Fugate was last seen around 2 P.M. on Sunday, January 13, 1980, when he stepped out of the visitor center at Chiricahua National Monument, in southeastern Arizona, wearing his standard Park Service uniform and Red Wing boots and carrying a green down parka. “I am going to do a trail,” he announced to an aide. If he wasn’t back by 4:30, she should close up without him.

No trace of Fugate was ever conclusively found. Investigators formed theories. Many make perfect sense. At the same time, they can all be disproven. Was Fugate murdered, did he willingly disappear? And who was involved with the outcome?

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

I'm sure there's more to this, and I'll read it later, but why are they acting like a maintenance and diagnostic menu is this sinister thing lmao.

I use these on like 5 different kinds of machines a week.

Lord Zedd-Repulsa
Jul 21, 2007

Devour a good book.

It's not. Everyone other than specific trained people with the company who makes the machine are Not Allowed to access that information in McD's mind, though, and they get a hair up their rear end when the article subjects start to change that.

Mzuri
Jun 5, 2004

Who's the boss?
Dudes is lost.
Don't think coz I'm iced out,
I'm cooled off.

RC and Moon Pie posted:

The Search for a Ranger Who Was Lost and Never Found

No trace of Fugate was ever conclusively found. Investigators formed theories. Many make perfect sense. At the same time, they can all be disproven. Was Fugate murdered, did he willingly disappear? And who was involved with the outcome?

This was great, thanks!

norton I
May 1, 2008

His Imperial Majesty Emperor Norton I

Emperor of these United States

Protector of Mexico

Lord Zedd-Repulsa posted:

It's not. Everyone other than specific trained people with the company who makes the machine are Not Allowed to access that information in McD's mind, though, and they get a hair up their rear end when the article subjects start to change that.

It's because a franchise owner is going to bypass the cleaning cycle or do some half assed repair and McDonald's has to deal with the blowback when some foreign object or bug ends up in a shake.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

norton I posted:

It's because a franchise owner is going to bypass the cleaning cycle or do some half assed repair and McDonald's has to deal with the blowback when some foreign object or bug ends up in a shake.

Did you read the article?

Bobby Digital
Sep 4, 2009
https://twitter.com/joewsj/status/1388141521862643714?s=21

Lord Zedd-Repulsa
Jul 21, 2007

Devour a good book.

What are some current options for dealing with paywalls?

lifg
Dec 4, 2000
<this tag left blank>
Muldoon

What are some current options for dealing with paywalls?

Which one?

Lord Zedd-Repulsa
Jul 21, 2007

Devour a good book.

WSJ right now but I see NYT and WaPo walls relatively often when dealing with long reads.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

quote:

I’d Never Been Involved in Anything as Secret as This’

The plan to kill Osama bin Laden—from the spycraft to the assault to its bizarre political backdrop—as told by the people in the room.

The full story of how, and why, America’s top security officials decided to pull the trigger that night in May has never been told. This oral history—the story inside the West Wing and U.S. intelligence agencies as Neptune’s Spear coalesced over the fall of 2010 and spring of 2011—is based on extensive original interviews with nearly 30 key intelligence and national security leaders, White House staff, and presidential aides—including some who have never spoken publicly before, and roughly half of those pictured in Souza’s famous photograph. Their accounts, from the White House, CIA headquarters and Afghanistan itself, paint a never-before-seen view of the most momentous decision of Barack Obama’s presidency.

https://www.politico.com/news/magazine/2021/04/30/osama-bin-laden-death-white-house-oral-history-484793

I would blow Dane Cook has a new favorite as of 05:27 on May 6, 2021

coolusername
Aug 23, 2011

cooltitletext

WSJ right now but I see NYT and WaPo walls relatively often when dealing with long reads.

Hover extension off github (it got taken down from Chrome's store for letting people bypass all the paywalls) works on pretty much everything in my experience.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
https://github.com/iamadamdev/bypass-paywalls-chrome

Is what I use

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
A homeless L.A. musician helped create a Daft Punk classic. So why hasn’t he seen a dime?

https://www.latimes.com/entertainment-arts/music/story/2021-05-06/daft-punk-one-more-time-eddie-johns-homeless

Remembering 'Merry Motherfuckin’ Christmas,' Eazy-E’s Insane Christmas Song That Gave will.i.am His Start

https://www.vice.com/en/article/wd7k44/remembering-merry-motherfckin-christmas-eazy-e-insane-christmas-song-that-gave-william-his-start

spookykid
Apr 28, 2006
And then that link you posted doesn't do the LA T article you posted :ughh:

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

spookykid posted:

And then that link you posted doesn't do the LA T article you posted :ughh:

I can't even remember how I got that one to work.

lifg
Dec 4, 2000
<this tag left blank>
Muldoon
The Strange Undeath of Middlebrow: Everything that was once considered lowbrow is now triumphant

A long and rambling essay on the short history of the aspirational and derisible term “middlebrow”, that ends with some thoughts on The Last Jedi.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

lifg posted:

The Strange Undeath of Middlebrow: Everything that was once considered lowbrow is now triumphant

A long and rambling essay on the short history of the aspirational and derisible term “middlebrow”, that ends with some thoughts on The Last Jedi.

As an aside, I've always thought it was funny that Shakespeare is something of the golden standard of "highbrow" literature despite the fact that a solid chunk of his output was slapstick and vulgar jokes. Just shows how artificial the distinction can be, I suppose.

lifg
Dec 4, 2000
<this tag left blank>
Muldoon

christmas boots posted:

As an aside, I've always thought it was funny that Shakespeare is something of the golden standard of "highbrow" literature despite the fact that a solid chunk of his output was slapstick and vulgar jokes. Just shows how artificial the distinction can be, I suppose.

I think everything “highbrow” was once common entertainment for the masses. Except for ballet, that began dancing for kings.

Stexils
Jun 5, 2008

lifg posted:

I think everything “highbrow” was once common entertainment for the masses. Except for ballet, that began dancing for kings.

i thought it was advertisement for teenage prositutes?

e: looking it up it seems that era came later

letthereberock
Sep 4, 2004

lifg posted:

Jazz was once considered vulgar music for people with unrefined taste. This makes me wonder if one day poo poo like Black Metal will be listened to by old men sitting in big chairs with tumblers of brandy.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

letthereberock posted:

Jazz was once considered vulgar music for people with unrefined taste. This makes me wonder if one day poo poo like Black Metal will be listened to by old men sitting in big chairs with tumblers of brandy.

Why wait?

Deep Glove Bruno
Sep 4, 2015

yung swamp thang

letthereberock posted:

It's a 30+ year old genre isn't it? I would be surprised if a significant portion of its listeners weren't old men sitting in big chairs with tumblers of brandy (wearing black t-shirts)

lifg
Dec 4, 2000
<this tag left blank>
Muldoon

letthereberock posted:

You joke, but I’m pretty sure whoever wrote this retrospective of Bathory’s third album is exactly the type to sit in a big chair with a tumbler of brandy. https://thequietus.com/articles/22420-bathory-under-the-sign-of-the-black-mark-review-anniversary

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

I would love to sit in a comfy chair with some brandy while listening to Bathory

letthereberock
Sep 4, 2004

Admittedly I botched the joke and should have picked a more contemporary music style but I’m so old and out of touch I couldn’t think of a good one, so just insert whatever in place of black metal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Porfiriato
Jan 4, 2016

Only 44 people are said to have reached the summit of all 14 of the world's tallest mountains. Now, researchers are questioning whether any of them have really done it.