Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

Since I happened to write the OP for the Games thread, I am going to shamelessly rip myself off.

Mega64 posted:

Gnosia initially released in Japan in mid-2019 for the Playstation Vita, but as of March 4, 2021 an English release exists for the Nintendo Switch. The MSRP is $25 US.

Gnosia is basically a single-player version of the social deduction game known as "Werewolf" or "Mafia". There's at least one "Gnosia" on board your ship, and their goal is to eliminate the humans until their numbers equal or outnumber them, while the humans' goal is to try to eliminate the Gnosia. The trick is finding out who the Gnosia are, or in the Gnosia's case avoid casting suspicion on oneself.

The core gameplay consists of the "Debate" phase, where you and the other crew members debate on who to send to cold sleep. This is the best way to take on the Gnosia, but you're also working with limited information, so it's basically you and everyone else accusing each other of being Gnosia until everyone votes on who to put in cold sleep. If you send all the Gnosia to cold sleep, humans win! Else, the night phase happens and the Gnosia choose to eliminate a character.

There's more but I think it's best if I leave it at that for now. Trust me, we'll learn more as we get into the game proper.

-----

NO SPOILERS

-----

Mega64 fucked around with this message at 16:26 on Jul 4, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mega64
May 23, 2008

Fan Stuff

Omobono takes a look at some of the crew's law careers outside the ship, with helpful text edits added later by BisbyWorl and Senerio:

Omobono posted:

Meh, gently caress it, Yuriko works for this dumb :effort: thing

Speaking of: I did a dumb :effort: thing

(Couldn't really fix the dialogue gushing at Edge though)

Araxxor noticed the similarities between Gnosia and some other popular social deduction game you may have heard of, and naturally combined the two.

Araxxor posted:

Tried a little something.

Mega64 fucked around with this message at 18:04 on May 31, 2021

Mega64
May 23, 2008

"To the stars through trust". I admit I'm relying on Google here because it's been fifteen years or so since I took Latin.

Music: Call of Ender

Gnosia has a pretty simple title screen, but it certainly has one hell of a soundtrack. There's only 26 or so songs, but they're all attention-catching, if nothing else. Certainly adds to the unique feel of this game!

The music was done by Q flavor for those interested.

So before we can begin proper, we need to create our character. First, of course, is our name.

Gender mostly only affects minor endings here and there, i.e. which characters may be attracted to you. Some are exclusive to Male or Female, while Non-binary can get a bit more of a mix. We won't miss anything major by going a certain gender, so pick whichever one you want.

Two of the more significant NPCs in the story are non-binary, so we wouldn't be the only non-binary character should we choose that option.

Pick your color/symbol of preference. It basically represents our character during dialogue, and thus it'll be the icon I'll use for transcribing our character's actions and dialogue.

Finally, stats. We can reset these later, and really I wouldn't say it's a major deal which ones we choose. I'd rather choose these myself based on what kind of character you all want to play as.

So yeah, you know the deal. We need a character, so let's make one! We need a name, sex, color, and desired playstyle. I'll gather up the ones that stick out to me and put it up to a vote, since this is cross-forum and all.

So next time, we'll know who we are and our adventure in sci-fi social games can begin!

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Name: Kosuke, Gender: Male, Colour: Green, Playstyle to do with logic and stealth

Let's solve this game with mission impossible poo poo hell yeah

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

No preference on name or gender, but if FFT has taught me anything Capricorn is the best zodiac sign.

And not even joking some of those colors have vaguely zodiacish signs in them, and I think White has that sort of capricornish shape?

President Ark
May 16, 2010

:iiam:
the colors are definitely doing a zodiac thing, i can tell because i'm a filthy homestuck i just do okay

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.
put all points in logic so you can defeat opponents with facts and reason

megane
Jun 20, 2008

It's "to the stars through hardship/adversity," I believe.

Let's go for light green.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

If real world mafia has taught me anything it's that you should put all your points into lying and lie at literally every opportunity. Never stop lying. Nothing beats a jelly donut!

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Let's be a woman called Cassidy, using orange which I think is the Gemini sign? Build for Intuition and Stealth.

serefin99
Apr 15, 2016

Mikoooon~
Your lovely shrine maiden fox wife, Tamamo no Mae, is here to help!

I'm gonna vote for a girl, using pink, and focusing on charm and stealth.

GodofDiscord
Sep 5, 2013

Not the strongest, but the cutest.
Changed my mind I’ll remove this

GodofDiscord fucked around with this message at 15:57 on Apr 19, 2021

habituallyred
Feb 6, 2015
Red
Intuition

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
Let's primarily crank Intuition as a stat, use Logic as a fallback and figuring stuff out, and only top off the other stuff when they become a liability.

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

Hello yes I heard there was a lovely trainwreck here and...

L. Green
Charisma and Logic

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

Almost missed this thread, glad to see you're doing the LP for this, it definitively was a great game for how long it lasted.

No preference on name, non-binary, L. Green and no preference in points because I'm a filthy powergamer and don't want to sway on that matter.

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

Female, Yellow, Light Green, or Pink, and high Charm / Intuition / Performance.

BraveLittleToaster
May 5, 2019
Al
Male
Light Blue
Raise performance as high as possible, put on a show.

Those're my votes. I like the sound of a game of anime Werewolf.

Jadecore
Mar 10, 2018

They say money can't buy happiness, but it sure does help.
Oh hell yeah, someone's doing this. I enjoyed Gnosia a whole lot so this should be delicious.

Looking at everyone else's posts, gonna say Cassidy, nonbinary, pink, playstyle of getting information sorted ASAP and then quietly hashing it out.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather
Go all out on stealth and charm also in case that's in any way a mechanic you need to be a kleptomanic. Performance needs to be a flat 0. Be the worst liar possible.

WhalerWren
Oct 9, 2012
Male
Pink
Focus Stealth and Charm.

GodofDiscord
Sep 5, 2013

Not the strongest, but the cutest.

Jadecore posted:

Cassidy, nonbinary, pink, playstyle of getting information sorted ASAP and then quietly hashing it out.

I like this. Let’s go with this!

Sylphosaurus
Sep 6, 2007
Male
Red
Focus Intuition and Charm.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

So this game isn't about literal anime werewolves?

:smith:

Jadecore
Mar 10, 2018

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

So this game isn't about literal anime werewolves?

:smith:

Sadly, no. We need more games about literal anime werewolves. Especially because Raging Loop sucks.

It's still a really good game, though!

wologar
Feb 11, 2014

නෝනාවරුනි

Jadecore posted:

Sadly, no. We need more games about literal anime werewolves. Especially because Raging Loop sucks.

Does it? I followed its ill-fated LP and thought it was promising.

Gnosia: All-in on stealth and no other skills. We can't be put into cold sleep if nobody knows we're there!

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

Hello yes I heard there was a lovely trainwreck here and...

wologar posted:

Does it? I followed its ill-fated LP and thought it was promising.

It's got real bad anime bits to it near the end. Plus it only scratches the surface of what can be done with this concept compared to what I've heard about this game. If only I could get it on Steam...

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.
Oh boy Gnosia. Non-binary, light green, dump it all in Charisma

Mega64
May 23, 2008

Took me a bit to figure out how to do this (I was gonna do a second batch of polls but decided these results are good enough), so here's what I'm gonna opt for.

Results include one vote from the LP Beach thread.

pre:
M IIIII
F III
N IIII
Despite not winning the majority, I'm going to use LPer overruling powers and go with non-binary for gender. Consensus seems evenly split between the three choices, so I'm gonna roll for the choice that could use some more representation in general.

As for name, Cassidy got three votes so that seems the simplest solution!

pre:
LGR IIIII
GRN I
WHT I
ORA I
PNK IIIIII
RED II
YLW I
LBL I
Pink barely wins. On the very distant chance I do a second run to show stuff off (unlikely as I'll be able to show 90% of the game off in one run and probably won't be compelled to do a second run) I'll go with Light Green.

pre:
CHA II
INT IIIII
LOG IIII
CHM IIII
PER IIII
STE IIIIIII

Get info ASAP: II
There's a couple skills that work well with "Get info early on and work from there" so I'll work on that in the background. Otherwise, the focus will be on Stealth and Intuition, with the non-Charisma stats being average. This may limit some skills we can use to start, but once we're in the area where we'll want to use skills regularly we'll likely be at the point in the game where we can respec our stats, which isn't too big a deal to do.

With all that done, I'll get to working on the update and hopefully have it out in a couple of days.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.
I'll been playing this for a bit, and despite being horrible at Mafia style games, the briskness of the game with each "run" taking only 5 minutes is keeping me hooked.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

Last time, we voted on the character we would create. Based on your feedback and my own tweaks, this is the character we will start with. The idea is to lay low and see if we can detect the Gnosia through their lies. We're average on everything else besides Charisma, so the actually convincing others part might be difficult, but hey, that's all part of the fun!

With that, let's begin with a brief description of what exactly is going on.

https://img.mega64.net/gnosia/u02/002.mp4

Simple, right?

Music: World of Probability

Needless to say, you're not expected to actually follow any of that quite yet.

For now, let's address the person talking to us and pretend we're following along.

Most of the protagonist's dialogue is in this style, though occasionally they will say actual things.

Let's talk while we walk. Are you able to get up?

There's probably a lot you still don't understand... But take it easy, you'll pick things up as we go along.

This is Setsu, the first character we'll meet, and one we'll see a lot of during the course of the game. They will be our guide and will be helping us out during this first little bit.

As a note, we technically won't learn this until the end of the update but Setsu identifies as non-binary. Definitely call me out if I accidentally use the wrong pronouns for them.

Music: In the Unknown Ship

Uhhhh... I guess no...?

You replied that you don't believe so.

Oh. Well, I guess that's good to know. That non-human probably isn't so fond of mankind if we're getting asked a question like that...

Anyway, let's move on and meet the rest of the crew.

Music: Voting

No... It doesn't look like these medical pods will be enough.

Well, it's just like I've been saying. "I don't remember anything" is a bit too suspiciously convenient, right?

Well, this is great. Within a minute of first meeting this group we're already being accused of being Gnosia...whatever that is.

Judging by context, this is likely not a good accusation. Just a hunch.

And as far as I know, no Gnosia infectees have tried faking amnesia before. If Cassidy was an enemy, it would be much harder to tell, I believe.
I agree. I don't think we have any reason to suspect Cassidy.

Well, right away, we're thrown in to vote off who we think is Gnosia.

Not that our vote really matters here since this is the first loop, but it seems like Raqio's going to be the target here. They're certainly our target, at any rate!

As a note, Raqio is the second non-binary NPC in this game. Gina and SQ are both female.

Raqio, a vote is a vote.
Hmph, whatever. It's not like I have any say in this now anyway, right? Just hurry up and take me to the cold sleep room then.

-----

Once the warp has finished, the Gnosia will have killed someone, and you'll realize I was innocent. You're basically giving the Gnosia carte blanche.

And with that, Raqio is taken to cold sleep, basically taking them out of the proceedings for the rest of this "game".

I'll handle the cold sleep process, so you all go back to your rooms.
Does Cassidy know where their room is?
Oh, that's right...

LeVi?

Music: The Silver Key

This appears to be the right room.

This ship will commence warp in ten minutes. You will be rendered unconscious during warp, so to avoid injury, please lie down on your bed.

LeVi is the ship's AI. Since LeVi doesn't have any physical manifestation that we know of, I'll be using the Light Green icon to represent LeVi, as the second-place vote choice and all.

Hm, might be Setsu checking up on us again...?

...No, Setsu certainly doesn't speak like that. This could only be...

Music: Enjoying My Routine

Oh, yeah, you. You're on the game's title screen.

So, I don't know why this is the time the game teaches you about the backlog, but here we go.

The higher our Logic, the more lines we'll remember. I rarely used this, as there's other tools available later to make things easier, but it can certainly be handy if you accidentally skip over something!

As for SQ's actual question, considering we're an amnesiac, it's best to be honest and show ignorance. After all, we really don't remember!

You replied that you don't remember.

Oh well, whatever. So Cassidy, you were dumped into this super serious situation all of a sudden, huh?

I mean, we're still alive and haven't been put in cold sleep yet, so I'd say we're doing fine.

You replied that you're keeping up.

Oh yeah, so about that. Setsu is suuuper nice to you, right, Cassidy? Seems to know about you and stuff.

You know the Gnosia? They totally lie and mess with you and stuff. That's why it's sooo hard to get rid of them!

I mean, SQ makes an interesting point. What if Setsu was allying with us so they'd have an ally to protect them from the votes of the other crewmates?

Of course, this is also a ploy a Gnosia would make...

Anti-Gnosia procedures do not allow that. SQ, please return to your room.
Awwww, Levi is like, sooo strict. OK, fine, I'll go baaack.

Well, we certainly have something to think about. But first...

3, 2...

-----

Music: Red Alert

Repeat. Gnosia presence was detected upon completion of warp. Please find and remove...

Are you OK?! Cassidy!

Things are already going off the rails...

Oh no, sorry for overreacting like that... I'm glad you're OK.

Setsu seemed to be very concerned for us, but is it all an act...?

That's right, apparently Raqio wasn't infected after all. As LeVi says, our enemy is still among us.

It's rare you'll nail the Gnosia on the first vote anyway. There's just not enough information!

Music: Suspicion

SQ...
Oh wait... So, like... If you two are OK, that means...?

Now we get the commands to check the crew and the game conditions.

The blue shading for Raqio means they were selected for cold sleep. The red shading for Gina, well...you can probably guess what happened there.

Right now, things are simple. Five crew members (including us!) and only one Gnosia. This command will be handy later once there's a lot more options and you forget what exactly is going on.

So like... the Gnosia got her?

Sounds...unpleasant.

Anyway, Raqio's in cold sleep and thus couldn't have been the Gnosia, and as far as we know Gina's probably not the type of Gnosia to voluntarily do herself in, so...

So, I guess that's like, the only possibility, huh...

Well, we're probably not Gnosia. I mean, we may be and could have just forgotten, but we don't have an inherent desire to end humanity, so we're probably fine. Plus the status screen says we're human, so we're probably human.

At any rate, Setsu seems to be loyal to us, and SQ seems intent on having us target Setsu, so even if we are Gnosia, we're safe. It's best to just assume we're human here and try to figure out which of Setsu and SQ is Gnosia.

Anyway, this is our first proper "Debate" phase. Right now, it's going to be pretty simple since it'll be nothing but Setsu and SQ accusing each other, but later on you can learn a lot of information from these debates.

For now, let's step back and listen.

When someone argues that a character is suspicious, you can either agree that said character is suspicious, or defend and say they're fine. Of course, your words may fall on deaf ears, which is why your stats are so important in influencing the outcome.

I was agreeing with Setsu's general point, but it turned out I was agreeing that SQ was Gnosia. Not that it actually matters here, since SQ and Setsu are clearly going to vote for each other and we'll be the final vote. Really, this debate phase is meaningless, but it's a good way to learn about what we'll be having to do later on.

As the game says, there's five rounds of this. The first round was Setsu accusing SQ, so the second round...

That's round 2...

Everyone has a few generic lines here. I'll show them off for now, but eventually I'll be skipping over them because they're pretty repetitive, and also because the actual lines aren't really as important as the information we get from them.

Not that we're getting much information from them, so...

Instead, let's take the lead on the last couple rounds since we know it'd be SQ and Setsu arguing some more. Our two options to start are to Doubt and Cover someone. Don't worry, this will expand a lot more later.

For now, I say we doubt SQ. She has a good point about Setsu being suspiciously buddy-buddy, but Setsu also seemed genuinely concerned about our safety, plus SQ's suggestion was just a bit too convenient in timing. That said, if Setsu is lying, they deserve a trophy for doing such a good job.

So you want to get rid of SQ ASAP, huh? I think I agree.
Oh, so like, it's all on me now...?

Other than Setsu and SQ's opening Doubt moves, the rest of this dialogue is all generic stuff from usual debates. You could probably tell since SQ made the same rebuttal three times now, but still I figured it was worth pointing out...

You announced that you trust Setsu.

It's rare you'll use Cover, mostly if you're really convinced someone needs protecting and you don't have a better candidate as Gnosia (or don't think people will vote for your Gnosia suspects).

We've done five rounds. We can say we initiate the vote, but if we don't, someone else will, so this part doesn't actually matter.

Thus I don't bother and SQ ends up leading things.

Music: Voting

Following my logic from earlier, I go with SQ here. There's no concrete information to work with here, so all we have is our gut.

...That, and my knowledge from playing this game before.

OK, can I just like, try and escape then...?

Yeah, I guess so, huh... OK, well, I guess I'm just gonna go freeze, then!

Well, it sounds like we made the right choice.

Music: World of Probability

Oh yeah, Cassidy... I have something to give you.

I hope it's not some secret "I WAS ACTUALLY GNOSIA ALL ALONG" surprise, I would feel so stupid...

Oh, no, this is actually cool.

The Data Reference is an incredibly valuable tool for us. The Engineer and Doctor Reports are irrelevant since those roles aren't around yet. Likewise, the Crew Data doesn't really have anything yet besides the characters' ages, genders, and home planets (if you're curious, so far Gina is 21/F, SQ is 24/F, Raqio is 18/N, and Setsu is 18/N), so we'll skip that until we get some proper information from it.

The Discussion Log is a recap of everything that happens during the game. It doesn't cover everything since it'd get bogged down otherwise, but it hits the highlights. There's also certain things you won't know until the current game is complete, such as if some characters catch other characters lying.

You can also recap the votes cast on each day, in case they may clue you in to a possible Gnosia.

That's what the person who gave this to me said. It was...a long time ago.

Oh yeah, here's the win and loss conditions. This will become more relevant once there's more than one Gnosia.

The game's over if you're eliminated for any reason. This is a bit against the spirit of Werewolf, as here you generally want to last as long as possible, rather than be a willing sacrifice to help your team in the long run.

And at the very end of a game, you get a recap of all the roles.

https://img.mega64.net/gnosia/u02/141.mp4

Each NPC gets a special Gnosia pose, as well as a happy "victory" pose or a sad "lost" pose if they lose or get eliminated.

And that's Gnosia in a nutshell! That said, there's much, much, much more to go through...

So until then, see you in the next loop...!

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

“It’s a fair cop, guv’nor.“

That was a pretty straightforward start. It helps that Evil SQ is on the box art.

I’m looking forward to the next loops!

Epicmissingno
Jul 1, 2017

Thank gooness we all get along so well!
I see, so this is a game where multiple people are trapped aboard a spaceship with a murderous fake and they have to have discussions about who the fake is so they can remove them from the picture and survive.

Mega64 posted:

That's right, apparently Raqio wasn't infected after all. As LeVi says, our enemy is still among us.

Yep, Setsu gets it.

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.
I'm pretty sure Gnosia actually predates mungus; it first came out on the Vita.

Epicmissingno
Jul 1, 2017

Thank gooness we all get along so well!

Leraika posted:

I'm pretty sure Gnosia actually predates mungus; it first came out on the Vita.

Oh, I know. Still a fun comparison, though.

Jadecore
Mar 10, 2018

Epicmissingno posted:

I see, so this is a game where multiple people are trapped aboard a spaceship with a murderous fake and they have to have discussions about who the fake is so they can remove them from the picture and survive.

Yep, Setsu gets it.

The automatic association with a generally classic Mafia/Werewolf style game with a popular version with added minigames when we haven't seen anything resembling those minigames solely based upon a shared scifi trapping seems................................... sus.

(Seriously though it's an easy comparison but they don't have very much in common when you get to know them better.)

mateo360
Mar 20, 2012

TOO MANY PEOPLE MERLOCK!
ONLY ONE DIJON!
So is this game random or scripted? I really can't tell. Like assume at the very least this first on was scripted as a tutorial

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.
The first few loops are scripted when introducing roles. Very quickly you get to choose number of people and roles (or hit random a few times) and characters behave according to their personalities and capabilities.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.
Well this certainly seems like an interesting ride.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

That's it! No more hiding in tomato crates! It's time to show that idiota Germany how a real nation fights!

For pasta~! CHARGE!

Oh man, I really should check this out (and check out of commenting the LP), it looks really neat.

Fat Samurai posted:

The first few loops are scripted when introducing roles. Very quickly you get to choose number of people and roles (or hit random a few times) and characters behave according to their personalities and capabilities.

What's the over/under on the player being Gnosia themselves? 2.5 successful tutorial loops, including this first one?
Because no loving way the payer won't be Gnosia at some point.