Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

BiggerBoat posted:

I thought I read that he was considered for Tony?

God I can't even picture that. He's great as Silvio, but he is no James Gandolfini

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Of actors that appeared on the show, I know David Proval auditioned for Tony which would have been a very different energy. I'm sure he would have been fine with his switch flipped to affable but he might outdo Gandolfini in the 'furious stare' department. (Or 'Manson lamps.')

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer
David Proval is scary as hell in Mean Streets; highly recommended.

phasmid
Jan 16, 2015

Booty Shaker
SILENT MAJORITY

We got the good donuts today.

Vichan
Oct 1, 2014

I'LL PUNISH YOU ACCORDING TO YOUR CRIME

Dawgstar posted:

Of actors that appeared on the show, I know David Proval auditioned for Tony which would have been a very different energy. I'm sure he would have been fine with his switch flipped to affable but he might outdo Gandolfini in the 'furious stare' department. (Or 'Manson lamps.')

I read somewhere that he didn't get it because he was just too intimidating.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)
I can totally believe that. Part of what makes Tony such an interesting character is his 'Gandolfini' side - he can be really charming and warm and good-humoured, that juxtaposition is what really makes the character pop.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)

Laterite posted:

David Proval is scary as hell in Mean Streets; highly recommended.

Honestly I always thought he was kinda nice in Mean Streets. It's Melfi's ex who's the real problem.

God I love that movie.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Barry Foster posted:

I can totally believe that. Part of what makes Tony such an interesting character is his 'Gandolfini' side - he can be really charming and warm and good-humoured, that juxtaposition is what really makes the character pop.

Yeah, Proval doesn't seem to have an off switch for the creepy menacing poo poo but that could be just due to the roles I've seen him in. Tony can be cuddly, funny, laughable and occasionally even sympathetic, especially with animals, and then turn on a dime and be this intimidating hulk. I can't picture Manson Lamps pulling off the non psychopathic side of the character. For all I know Proval is a fine actor and could easily adapt to the role. I just can't picture it.

I don't think Van Zandt could carry a lead role either and feel he works best as a supporting character. Sil is great but Lillyhammer not so much.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

You oughta watch Proval on the TS podcast, its unreal and you'll have a different appreciation for him after seeing his true self

ProperCauldron
Oct 11, 2004

nah chill
I watched UHF for the first time since I was 5, and to my surprise David Proval stars in it as the main villain's enforcer/henchman type. Watching Richie Aprile rough up Weird Al and Kramer is a treat.

Funny enough, I had a similar experience a few years ago rewatching Monster Squad. David is the pilot of the plane that Dracula escapes from.

He was a great guest on Talking Sopranos. He reveals that he used his years of silent frustration and anger of being overlooked and underused as an actor to fuel Richie's rage. Michael really liked that and he brings up that point in future episodes.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

tremendous moxie for a man of his size

Mokelumne Trekka
Nov 22, 2015

Soon.

Jerusalem posted:

What, and I cannnot stress this seriously enough, the gently caress?

I gotta say "Cold Cuts" (S5,ep10) is the first episode that I did not enjoy all that much. It was a 'character study' episode but it explored things that I felt were done better already in other episodes. The dialogue about the shipping containers and terrorism was... weird.

I skimmed some "Worst Sopranos Episodes" lists and never saw this mentioned, which surprised me. Maybe I need to give it another look.

Contrivances are also something I'm maybe seeing spring up a little bit more (not bad given how it's so late in the series). Such as when Tony/Adriana crash because of a raccoon. That made me go 'Hmm'.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
this fuckin show, Madone!

https://twitter.com/IASIP__/status/1385097878473949184?s=20

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

OK, so now that I was getting into the No Fuckin Ziti podcast, why is Stitcher telling me I can't stream it anymore?

I read some articles that Google is locking out certain podcast streams for security reasons (?) but can I just whitelist it?

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo
https://twitter.com/MoltisantiThots/status/1385626589082292227

Vichan
Oct 1, 2014

I'LL PUNISH YOU ACCORDING TO YOUR CRIME

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Hzdk918Cdg

He reminds me of Jackie Jr. here.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

lol holy poo poo this is my coworker to a T.

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

https://twitter.com/moltisantithots/status/1382437253025124353

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Blowback season 2 is starting to go live (and it's one of the best podcasts I've ever listened to). This season is all about the Cuban revolution. They used Chris' quote about the middle crisis being real in the first episode :lol:

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
Motherfuckin' god-drat orange peel beef!

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Rewatching The Knight in White Satin Armor when Tony tells Carmella about Richie being "gone" and she realizes what this means is she understanding that Janice killed him or just a general "hes dead, someone killed him"?
The line about it not being a marriage made in heaven seems to suggest shes puts it together but its odd that she never really acts any differently towards her throughout the show.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
I never got why so many mob guys were into Janice. She seemed like a complete mess of a tire fire at all times even compared to their own disaster lives.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

I always took it as Carmela realizing Richie is dead and assuming he was killed for something related to the mob, and her line about Janice being more about why it was probably for the "best" that the relationship had come to a permanent end. Remember him sitting and chatting amicably with her in the kitchen in the JACCCKKKETTTT episode? And within a few seconds of learning he's dead she's already re-framing her memory and reaction to justify and safely bury away any positive feelings or association she might have ever had for him.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

If you got your own judgemental white bread wife at home, maybe you wanna gently caress around with someone who's a little crazy and not afraid to color outside the lines

PerilPastry
Oct 10, 2012

codo27 posted:

If you got your own judgemental white bread wife at home, maybe you wanna gently caress around with someone who's a little crazy and not afraid to color outside the lines

"We're so wacky!"

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

pentyne posted:

I never got why so many mob guys were into Janice. She seemed like a complete mess of a tire fire at all times even compared to their own disaster lives.

Get in with Janice and you maybe get in with Tony. Plus, Janice was into some FREAKY poo poo and that probably turned the mob guys' cranks, if Ralph was any indication.

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

codo27 posted:

:goonsay:

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Fritz Coldcockin posted:

Get in with Janice and you maybe get in with Tony. Plus, Janice was into some FREAKY poo poo and that probably turned the mob guys' cranks, if Ralph was any indication.

It's a two way street as well. She aggressively hit on mob guys in order to get more power and influence over Tony.

She essentially got Bobby killed in the end because she was the one who pushed aggressively for him to take on more responsibility. Bobby probably never would have made that transition without her pushing him to do so.

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.
So Edie Falco revealed this week that she and James Gandolfini reprised their roles as Tony and Carmela in 2010...as part of a 10-minute video put together by the New York Knicks to try and lure LeBron James during his first round of free agency. Falco had no idea who LeBron was, but figured that if Gandolfini was willing to do it, it must have really been important to him. (It sounds like they had both received a lot of commercial offers after the series ended to play "Tony" and "Carmela" again, if not explicitly by name then at least by reputation, that had simply gone ignored.)

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

https://twitter.com/timeimmemorial_/status/1387777320665161733?s=20

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Fritz Coldcockin posted:

This.

And in my experience if you can't figure it out, the answer is almost always "awesome blowjobs" or "she doesn't mind x, y, z kinky poo poo and/or strange habits". This holds true for real life as well.

As far as getting closer to Tony though, that seems like a bad play since he loving hates her anyway. But to compound that, he's also going to be up in your poo poo if you smack her around, disrespect her too much or whatever and pull your standard mob husband bullshit on her. She also can dime you out to Tony and dish dirt if she thinks she can gain an advantage somewhere.

Janice is the worst. The kiss of death in the whole series. Only guy that made it out alive was the narcoleptic born again dude.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

BiggerBoat posted:

This.

And in my experience if you can't figure it out, the answer is almost always "awesome blowjobs" or "she doesn't mind x, y, z kinky poo poo and/or strange habits". This holds true for real life as well.

As far as getting closer to Tony though, that seems like a bad play since he loving hates her anyway. But to compound that, he's also going to be up in your poo poo if you smack her around, disrespect her too much or whatever and pull your standard mob husband bullshit on her. She also can dime you out to Tony and dish dirt if she thinks she can gain an advantage somewhere.

Janice is the worst. The kiss of death in the whole series. Only guy that made it out alive was the narcoleptic born again dude.

Worked for Bobby!

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
for some reason i had a vision of Paulie appearing in True Detective.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Now I picture Paulie in Twin Peaks.

"Them owls? Not what they seem, T."

PerilPastry
Oct 10, 2012

Fritz Coldcockin posted:

Plus, Janice was into some FREAKY poo poo and that probably turned the mob guys' cranks

the mellifluous box wasn't a dream after all

phasmid
Jan 16, 2015

Booty Shaker
SILENT MAJORITY

uber_stoat posted:

for some reason i had a vision of Paulie appearing in True Detective.

Too much power.

phasmid
Jan 16, 2015

Booty Shaker
SILENT MAJORITY

PerilPastry posted:

the mellifluous box wasn't a dream after all

Ohhh! Ths guy!

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule

Dawgstar posted:

Now I picture Paulie in Twin Peaks.

"Them owls? Not what they seem, T."

“I dunno T. The possibility that love is not enough? Gives me agita”

Flesnolk
Apr 11, 2012
The moral of The Sopranos is that all Italians are bad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

Flesnolk posted:

The moral of The Sopranos is that all Italians are bad.