Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

floating 26" off da ground. BURR!
My Tremors UHD and LOTR UHDs came yesterday.

Tremors looks SO good. Same with LOTR but that was always likely to be a stand-out. Tremors is just gorgeous.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Gripweed posted:

Is Unearthed Films legit? They have A Record of Sweet Murder on bluray, and after watchin Occult, Noroi, and Cult I am more than willing to blind buy any Koji Shiraishi movie but looking at the Unearthed Films website makes me worry that they're shady or if I buy something from them I'll end up on a list.

listofcoolpeople.txt

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."

John Romero posted:

the man is dead. Decapitated by a rogue laserdisc

I think there's a Dolph Lundgren movie about this.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
...is this legit?

https://www.amazon.ca/Pedicab-Driver-Sammo-Hung/dp/B014Q67LQ4/ref=mp_s_a_1_30?dchild=1&keywords=sammo+hung&qid=1619102262&sr=8-30

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Kingtheninja posted:

I think there's a Dolph Lundgren movie about this.

I Come in Peace aka Dark Angel! Although it’s more of a MiniDisc.

It was filmed here in Houston and I actually got to see it on a big screen last year pre-covid and it owns. Between that and Red Scorpion, Lundgren may be my favorite 80s/90s action hero not named Jackie Chan.

Lumbermouth
Mar 6, 2008

GREG IS BIG NOW

Big Mean Jerk posted:

I Come in Peace aka Dark Angel! Although it’s more of a MiniDisc.

It was filmed here in Houston and I actually got to see it on a big screen last year pre-covid and it owns. Between that and Red Scorpion, Lundgren may be my favorite 80s/90s action hero not named Jackie Chan.

This was my white whale Saturday afternoon TV movie. Dolph Lundgren fighting an alien drug dealer who looked like Christopher Lambert in Mortal Kombat.

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

When I was a kid it was on encore or showtime a lot (94 maybe?) and it was awesome

Edit: forgot I had questions! Goons, I need a monoprice link to some good hdmi cables for a new oled TV along with stuff like a 4k player and game console.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer

Kingtheninja posted:

When I was a kid it was on encore or showtime a lot (94 maybe?) and it was awesome

Edit: forgot I had questions! Goons, I need a monoprice link to some good hdmi cables for a new oled TV along with stuff like a 4k player and game console.

HDMI cables depend on what you're using it for. PS5's and most recent 4k players need an HDMI 2.1, but not all of them. An HDMI 1.4 on the wrong device could limit your frame rate, but HDMI 2+ is fine with everything.

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

you can find HDMI 2.1 cables just fine on amazon as well. I recently bought a whole bundle for $22

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B081NXV3ZR/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

use them on my OLED with my 4K player, no issues.

Liar Lyre
Jun 3, 2011

Here to deliver
~Bad Opinions~

This is more for gaming in 4k (and a little bit outdated with newer consoles) but it’s a pretty good breakdown on HDMI specs and requirements.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dym6XD3-8qw

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

dorium posted:

you can find HDMI 2.1 cables just fine on amazon as well. I recently bought a whole bundle for $22

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B081NXV3ZR/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

use them on my OLED with my 4K player, no issues.

This is a great deal, thanks! And is the Sony ubpx 700 still a decent player or is it worth going extra for the 800?

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Just wanted to say Kino's UHD for The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly looks and sounds amazing.

I'm not an expert on the film, but I have seen pretty much every iteration on digital ('98 DVD, '03 DVD, MGM's 4K remaster, Kino's first fix, this).

- Color timing looks beautiful, none of the weirdness on the previous Blus. Shadow detail could be a little deeper, but I'd guess prints would have this level of contrast anyways.
- The mono track has a ton of depth, reminds me of laserdisc-era stuff.
- Original United Artists logo is back (was also on the 2017 Blu)
- The extended cut's deleted and alternate footage is provided as a 4K bonus on the 4K disc. Only other extra is Tim Lucas' commentary.
- No HDR, but I actually had to check because the color looks that great.

The Blu-ray included has the same newly corrected master. Also looks like all the extras were re-encoded at the proper framerate except for the American trailer.

Hopefully they also do A Fistful of Dollars and For a Few Dollars More because 4K absolutely works for this film. Beautiful!

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

That's great to hear. My copy needs to get here dammit :(

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Egbert Souse posted:

I'm not an expert on the film

Frankly I find this really hard to believe for any film. :colbert:

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

floating 26" off da ground. BURR!
They stuck w theatrical cut, right?

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

Boywhiz88 posted:

They stuck w theatrical cut, right?

Yea theatrical but in SDR

Brexit the Frog
Aug 22, 2013

https://twitter.com/secondsightfilm/status/1385595417547743233?s=21

let’s fuckin goooooooo

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

Do you know anything about...
witches?

Buglord

Hell yeah, Martin is fantastic. Romero's best film after Night of the Living Dead, and it's actually kind of close for me.

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

Hell yes, Martin on 4k! Second Sight impressed the hell out of me with DotD. This'll be a no brainer purchase for me.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Martin is easily the best Romero

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

ruddiger posted:

Martin is easily the best Romero

Martin Romero? Never heard of him. My vote goes to John.

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

I will absolutely get the Martin 4K edition. Just give me all the Romero films in 4K. I'll double, triple, quadruple dip.

My copy of The Good, The Bad and The Ugly is coming in today. Very excited to watch it tonight.

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

You're quite good at turning me on.

dorium posted:

Yea theatrical but in SDR

I'm glad, the extended scenes are incredibly jarring when you hear the aged and decrepit voices of Eastwood and Wallach speaking out from beyond the grave with a guy who sounds nothing like Lee Van Cleef.

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

Second Sight is also doing a Babadook 4k release. Hot drat.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

I think my mass effect is broken
I feel like I’m the only person in the world that hated that movie.

That loving kid.

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

the kid loving sucked, but the mom was great.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
The kid is supposed to suck, HTH

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

Yeah I've never understood the complaints about the kid. The whole point is how difficult the kid is on the mom. We're supposed to feel her frustration and fear.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
The most important thing is that What We Do In the Shadows has canonized Babadooks as a category of creature alongside vampires and werewolves.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
I think the kid was maybe a little bit too real. Sometimes a movie succeeds at doing something but in succeeding it actually makes the movie less enjoyable to watch as a result.

VoodooXT
Feb 24, 2006
I want Tong Po! Give me Tong Po!

Vagabundo posted:

That loving kid.

No, I loving hated it too, kid and mom be damned.

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

You're quite good at turning me on.

Vagabundo posted:

That loving kid.

I could tolerate the kid but what ruined it for me was the stock monster sound effect at the end.

The book was real creepy though.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

The kid and the end are the 2 reasons I disliked it too, just felt like an absolute slog to get through. Maybe a second watch would raise my opinion, but eeeeeh I just don't know if I want to.

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

The Babadook loving owns and I hate all of you :colbert:

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

Do you know anything about...
witches?

Buglord

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

Do all the Sony uhd players require manually turning on dolby vision for content? I'm going between the 700/800 and just splurging for the Panasonic ub820.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

Boooooooo. I don't have and can't afford all the fancy pants bullshit to watch this.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

I think my mass effect is broken

Iron Crowned posted:

The kid is supposed to suck, HTH

Spatulater bro! posted:

Yeah I've never understood the complaints about the kid. The whole point is how difficult the kid is on the mom. We're supposed to feel her frustration and fear.

Hmm yes, how could anyone find a deliberately annoying and lovely thing constantly screaming "MUMMY MUMMY EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!" to be annoying and lovely enough to put them off of a film? :thunk:

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

CPL593H posted:

Boooooooo. I don't have and can't afford all the fancy pants bullshit to watch this.

Then just go into debt :confused:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

CPL593H posted:

I don't know anything about your budget, but TCL makes some decent super cheap 4k TVs. Specifically the 4- and 5-series. And a solid player like the Sony x700 should only set you back about $200.