Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Detective No. 27 posted:

It's been years but I'm pretty sure it was Snyder or Terrio who confirmed they specifically named it to sound like a court case.

Yeah, the big point is that they are in a conflict of legitimacy. Batman thinks Superman is inherently a threat as a result of Superman having totally destroyed his worldview and the status quo he was used to, Superman thinks Batman's vigilantism is a threat to people that causes more harm than good.

I think a lot of people really don't get that the outcome of the conflict is Batman surrendering and converting to Superman's worldview, and actively doing the job that Superman can't, which turns out to be exactly what he'd rather do. He swoops in at the nick of time, shrugs off bullets and terrorises armed thugs, and protects the innocent with his speed and his cape.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JonathonSpectre
Jul 23, 2003

I replaced the Shermatar and text with this because I don't wanna see racial slurs every time you post what the fuck

Soiled Meat
Man, thank gently caress we got BvS instead of whatever else poetic weirdness it could have been.

Last Son of Krypton vs. The Orphan of Gotham!

Rewatched part of Man of Steel last night and... are they really gonna not make any more Henry Cavill Superman? The motherfucker is straight out of central casting, he might be the most Superman-looking dude who's ever lived. They're really gonna just not do anything else with that?

I would pay good money to see a ZS/HC Superman movie now that he's, you know, Superman at the end of Justice League. Just a whole movie of him Supermanning it up as hard as possible, saving kittens from trees, making speeches to school assemblies, smiling 100% of the time, and at the end after 120 minutes of nothing but the Supermanest poo poo possible the entire cast turns to the camera and says, "That's my Superman!" and Supes does a little self-deprecating laugh/head shake and the music from the end of a Plinkett review starts playing.

I will forever mourn the Ben Affleck Batman solo movie that, in a sane universe, would have come before BvS.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

JonathonSpectre posted:

I will forever mourn the Ben Affleck Batman solo movie that, in a sane universe, would have come before BvS.

I'm undecided on whether the other solo movies (Flash and Aquaman) should have come before Justice League, but I think it would be an absolute mistake to have a solo Batman film before BvS. The Batman in BvS is pretty well defined by being retired then being traumatized seeing Superman fight Zod, if there is a solo Batman film between MoS and BvS what would it even be? Since BvS picks up from where MoS left off it'd have to be a flashback to years before when he decides to retire, which means it basically ends in defeat. I think it was much better to introduce Batman as they did and give us just enough detail that we could fill in the blanks on what had happened before Superman's arrival.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice

Guy A. Person posted:

I'm undecided on whether the other solo movies (Flash and Aquaman) should have come before Justice League, but I think it would be an absolute mistake to have a solo Batman film before BvS. The Batman in BvS is pretty well defined by being retired then being traumatized seeing Superman fight Zod, if there is a solo Batman film between MoS and BvS what would it even be? Since BvS picks up from where MoS left off it'd have to be a flashback to years before when he decides to retire, which means it basically ends in defeat. I think it was much better to introduce Batman as they did and give us just enough detail that we could fill in the blanks on what had happened before Superman's arrival.

Plus it's a very easy throughline for cinematic Batmans, just think of every Batman movie of the modern era (since '89) and this Batman does or has done it. Batwing with a minigun? '89. Batmobile that plows through and over all other vehicles? Batman Begins and The Dark Knight. Robin? Batman Forever/and Robin. ACAB coziness? TDK.

The unique parts of this Batman, the physicality, the slasher horror framing, really don't need a separate introduction.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

Guy A. Person posted:

Snyder does a good job of also playing off of earlier Batman works. One line that I really love in BvS is when Bruce tells Alfred that the original Waynes were hunters because it almost feels like it's in conversation with Alfred's Batman Begins line about the Waynes being part of the Underground Railroad. "Yeah, that's true, but BEFORE that, they were this..."

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Yeah, a bit part of BvS is that it contrasts a more or less fresh Superman (opening montage aside) with a veteran Batman who's been through way too much. Most to all of the Batman movies could have taken place before it, and the contrast just strengthens the point that a DBZ battle levelling half the city across the bay just came out of nowhere to Bruce Wayne and shattered his entire worldview.

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Its not an S, on my planet it means QUIPS

JonathonSpectre posted:

I would pay good money to see a ZS/HC Superman movie now that he's, you know, Superman at the end of Justice League. Just a whole movie of him Supermanning it up as hard as possible, saving kittens from trees, making speeches to school assemblies, smiling 100% of the time, and at the end after 120 minutes of nothing but the Supermanest poo poo possible the entire cast turns to the camera and says, "That's my Superman!" and Supes does a little self-deprecating laugh/head shake and the music from the end of a Plinkett review starts playing.

Buy a bunch of copies of Josstice league? Cuz that's straight up the opening scene with Superman and those kids

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN
Superman saves kittens for two straight hours and, at the end, it's revealed that he got lobotomized by Anti-Life.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

Superman saves kittens for two straight hours and, at the end, it's revealed that he also saved a puppy

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

I SAID WE'RE NOT GONNA BE FUCKING SUCK THIS YEAR!!!

they can do a bunch of DCCU shorts where superman does nice things and talks about being a good guy then smiles and flies away 4-5 mins tops really

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Too bad the '78 Superman didn't save that little girl from mommy's fists and abominations. She grew up to be a tech dudette silicon valley type who worshiped Reagan until Rand entered her life in college then successfully funded anti-union campaigns that crushed organization.

JonathonSpectre
Jul 23, 2003

I replaced the Shermatar and text with this because I don't wanna see racial slurs every time you post what the fuck

Soiled Meat

Blood Boils posted:

Buy a bunch of copies of Josstice league? Cuz that's straight up the opening scene with Superman and those kids

Yeah but I want it to have something to do with the rest of the movie.

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

Superman 78 is right there dude

PeterCat
Apr 8, 2020

Believe women.

IDK, I wish we had another Cavill Superman movie as he hasn't been given a lot to do over the 3 movies he was in. In MOS we see him become Superman and then immediately deal with Zod and the movie ends. In BvS we have a montage of him doing Superman things that shows he's been busy in the interim, and I think one scene of him at home with Lois Lane, then he fights Batman, Doomsday, and dies. The in Justice League he comes back, fights the League, has like one short scene with Lois and Martha, and fails to stop the Unity from forming, then he has a quick scene with Bruce at the farm and it's over.

We never get much in the day to day of being Superman and Clark Kent. Now, these are movies so there's only so much time to devote to all this, and Snyder's movies seem very into hitting the big strokes of the story and not much into showing the day to day activities of their characters. A sequel to MoS that was closer to the pre-zombie scenes in Dawn of the Dead would have been nice. Have Superman fight someone who isn't associated with Zod or Darkside.

We have a lot of episodic Superman content out there and that colors what we expect of the character.

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

It would be kinda funny if Snyder's vision for the Dark Timeline stuff included a ton of Superman doing nice friendly jobs and smiling a lot while he maintains an utter dystopian hellscape

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

Martman posted:

It would be kinda funny if Snyder's vision for the Dark Timeline stuff included a ton of Superman doing nice friendly jobs and smiling a lot while he maintains an utter dystopian hellscape

"A Better World" live action Justice League would be pretty rad

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

Martman posted:

Has anyone done a cut over the Snyder Cut where Cyborg's vision is just scenes from the Whedon cut?

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Timeless Appeal posted:

Has anyone done a cut over the Snyder Cut where Cyborg's vision is just scenes from the Whedon cut?

When his dad says "the greater challenge will be not changing things" a bunch of terrible whedon edits pop up.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

The movie cuts away a few times with cards reading "Meanwhile, in Ethiopia..."

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Superman Saves Kitten, Thousands Perish

JonathonSpectre
Jul 23, 2003

Soiled Meat

Mantis42 posted:

>tugs collar nervously<

Ha ha just kidding folks! This just in, the kitten was located on Abandonment Island, the island just off the coast of the world's biggest city where there are no lifeforms of any kind!

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

Mantis42 posted:

My superman didn't really need to snap that tree's neck

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Mantis42 posted:

Volcano Erupts, Kitten Sole Survivor

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Its not an S, on my planet it means QUIPS

PeterCat posted:

IDK, I wish we had another Cavill Superman movie as he hasn't been given a lot to do over the 3 movies he was in. In MOS we see him become Superman and then immediately deal with Zod and the movie ends. In BvS we have a montage of him doing Superman things that shows he's been busy in the interim, and I think one scene of him at home with Lois Lane, then he fights Batman, Doomsday, and dies. The in Justice League he comes back, fights the League, has like one short scene with Lois and Martha, and fails to stop the Unity from forming, then he has a quick scene with Bruce at the farm and it's over.

We never get much in the day to day of being Superman and Clark Kent. Now, these are movies so there's only so much time to devote to all this, and Snyder's movies seem very into hitting the big strokes of the story and not much into showing the day to day activities of their characters. A sequel to MoS that was closer to the pre-zombie scenes in Dawn of the Dead would have been nice. Have Superman fight someone who isn't associated with Zod or Darkside.

We have a lot of episodic Superman content out there and that colors what we expect of the character.

We get quite a bit of his "normal" day spread throughout Mos and ultimate Beavis imo

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

Yeah, if you count saving Lois from the ship robot, he spends the first 40 minutes of Man of Steel saving people in various vignettes - he just isn't wearing a cape.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

AND he wasn't smiling. What a fucker.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

tbf MoS was all about him finding his place in the world, so I get not thinking of rambling hobo Clark as being his "normal, day to day" life.

Ultimate BvS has reporter Clark all over the first half, that's really on the studio for forcing them to gut it from the theatrical at the last minute.

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world
The very idea that a moral, conscientious Superman could have such a thing as a "normal" day in the modern world - that he could contribute to and maintain stability rather than necessarily heightening contradictions and hastening crisis - is highly ideological.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
I really want them to make that movie but there's just closeups of him sweating nervously the whole time.

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

I really want them to make that movie but there's just closeups of him sweating nervously the whole time.

Superman doesn't sweat

:goonsay:

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

McCloud posted:

Superman doesn't sweat

:goonsay:

Ah, like Prince Andrew!

PeterCat
Apr 8, 2020

Believe women.

Rewatching JL again. I still think it's dumb that Wonder Woman wears wedge heels instead of flat sandals.

Superman looks to have some nice anatomical boots though.

Kurzon
May 10, 2013

by Hand Knit
I do not like the monochrome color palette of this movie. I like my superhero movies to be colorful.

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

Kurzon posted:

I do not like the monochrome color palette of this movie. I like my superhero movies to be colorful.

Well good thing there's a version of this movie right up your alley!

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Kurzon posted:

Hmm you must’ve loaded up the Justice is Gray edition, there is actually a color version of the movie you should try.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
JiG is pretty dope though, some aspects are definitely enhanced by being in black and white. One big loss is Superman's outfit; you can't tell it's any different from what he'd normally wear in the JiG version, which means whatever thought process led him to wear it is also essentially not present in the movie. You also miss the Knightmare scenes putting him back in blue and red

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

K Waste-style cut where only the classic Superman suit is in colour.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

josh04 posted:

K Waste-style cut where only the classic Superman suit is in colour.

Go into the opposite direction, re-color every character with MSPaint.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Grendels Dad posted:

Lol it just reminds me of the RLM guys saying “at least I can see things!” about Josstice Leagues technicolor throw up. People’s standards are so hilarious.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Grendels Dad posted:

Tom Snyder's Justice League