Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pyrus Malus
Nov 22, 2007
APPLES
we just moved into a place with zero drawers in the kitchen. are there any good cutlery organization options that can be used over the counter, or is the pro play basically just "get one of the normal drawer cutlery organizers and put it on yr counter"??

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

Do you have space to add a portable countertop with drawers or something?

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

Do you have access to a library or college 3d printer? They're usually free or very cheap to use, materials included.

If so, I'd look for cutlery or desk organizers https://www.thingiverse.com/search?q=cutlery&type=things&sort=relevant https://www.thingiverse.com/search?q=desk+organizer&type=things&sort=relevant note the skull option!

If not, I'd just hit a local kitchen supply store or IKEA and get something intended to set on tables or at coffee stations. Amazon has options, but local will be cheaper.

Canuck-Errant
Oct 28, 2003

MOOD: BURNING - MUSIC: DISCO INFERNO BY THE TRAMMPS
Grimey Drawer
I'm a fan of Yamazaki's line of dish/mug/kitchen stuff organizers; a couple of the stackable kitchen racks (or possibly the bread box?) might work

E: https://theyamazakihome.com/collections/kitchen

Canuck-Errant fucked around with this message at 02:07 on Apr 23, 2021

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through
in addition to the above suggestions, if you are allowed / able to put anything on the walls, you can get a system where you hang open containers (can-shaped) off of a rod or something, and store flatware in there

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

Quick update in case you consider this. Definitely not a kitchen thing but since I posted it once here, I figure it's worth correcting the record. The charging hub closes the gap a bit more, and it would be very nice since charging the batteries one at a time, in the drone, is annoying, takes a long time, and I think my cats might want to eat propellers if I am not careful.

This is a fantastic toy, by the way. Intrigued a hummingbird though, so careful where you fly!

BrianBoitano posted:

DJI Mini 2 Drone, which I'm seriously considering as a birthday gift to myself: Costco CP.MA.00000367.01 vs. DJI store bare or kit I think CP.MA.00000306.01
code:
Costco				DJI store bare			DJI Kit				a la carte
$440				$450				$600
2 batteries			1 battery			3 batteries			$55 each (official)
1x spare props			1x spare props			3x spare propellers 		$12 each pair (official. Cheaper for knockoffs)
ok quality case			no case				nice leather case		$39 nice leather case
32 gb micro sd			no card				no card				$cheap
charge only in drone		charge only in drone		standalone 3x charger hub	$40 official, $27 knockoff 2x charger

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

I'm accidentally a suicide bomber!

Pyrus Malus posted:

we just moved into a place with zero drawers in the kitchen. are there any good cutlery organization options that can be used over the counter, or is the pro play basically just "get one of the normal drawer cutlery organizers and put it on yr counter"??

You could get one of those standing steel dish racks that go over your kitchen sink, but just turn it into like a cutlery rack, etc.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Ugh my roommate dropped the paring knife

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs
I somehow lost the blade for my KitchenAid grinder attachment. the most exciting replacement option had a bunch of plates along with the replacement blades.

anybody know what these are for? just a really coarse grind?

and while I'm at it, what are the smaller blades at bottom right for?

edit: lol they are the wrong loving size

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer

Empty Sandwich posted:

I somehow lost the blade for my KitchenAid grinder attachment. the most exciting replacement option had a bunch of plates along with the replacement blades.

anybody know what these are for? just a really coarse grind?

and while I'm at it, what are the smaller blades at bottom right for?

edit: lol they are the wrong loving size

The die on the right is for sausage stuffing. I’m guessing the same for the other weirdly shaped one.

Lawnie fucked around with this message at 01:00 on Apr 27, 2021

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000
Probation
Can't post for 44 hours!
Ultra Carp
yeah those are meat grinder blades

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

i wonder how many ridiculous shipped-in-from-across-the-planet sorts of ingredients they'll continue to feature though

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

Oh God Biden got to them :freep:

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

mediaphage posted:

i wonder how many ridiculous shipped-in-from-across-the-planet sorts of ingredients they'll continue to feature though

LoL that a site named for a devotion to Epicurianism would put ANYTHING above personal luxury.

Like, they should be publishing articles about how if you really want to enjoy snow leopard stuffed with fresh clubbed baby seal you really need to cure it for 24 hours in advance in a spicy elephant brain jam.

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs

Lawnie posted:

The die on the right is for sausage stuffing. I’m guessing the same for the other weirdly shaped one.

gracias

Vim Fuego posted:

yeah those are meat grinder blades

any special use for the two blades rather than four?

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug

Empty Sandwich posted:

gracias

any special use for the two blades rather than four?

The two blade ones are for sausage stuffing. Just needs to agitate and push, not cut against the die so much.

captkirk
Feb 5, 2010

mediaphage posted:

To my understanding the per lb environmental cost of transporting food is pretty low compared to production. It does depending refrigeration requirements of course. Like the carbon cost of coffee is pretty low compared to beef and for most of the world there is no local option for coffee, it's all international shipping.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

captkirk posted:

To my understanding the per lb environmental cost of transporting food is pretty low compared to production. It does depending refrigeration requirements of course. Like the carbon cost of coffee is pretty low compared to beef and for most of the world there is no local option for coffee, it's all international shipping.

for sure, though i think some things are pretty iffy. there's a growing push for air freight for some tropical fruits, for instance. anyways the shipping was just an example, i don't think we should have to, or even should, stop moving things around like coffee

anyway i think this is a dumb move that makes them feel good about themselves without effecting any sort of meaningful change while they continue to ignore other stuff like rapacious fishing.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

mediaphage posted:

anyway i think this is a dumb move that makes them feel good about themselves without effecting any sort of meaningful change while they continue to ignore other stuff like rapacious fishing.

:stare:

all this time i thought they just used nets...

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000
Probation
Can't post for 44 hours!
Ultra Carp

Stringent posted:

:stare:

all this time i thought they just used nets...

:ohdear:

Skyarb
Sep 20, 2018

MMMPH MMMPPHH MPPPH GLUCK GLUCK OH SORRY I DIDNT SEE YOU THERE I WAS JUST CHOKING DOWN THIS BATTLEFIELD COCK DID YOU KNOW BATTLEFIELD IS THE BEST VIDEO GAME EVER NOW IF YOULL EXCUSE ME ILL GO BACK TO THIS BATTLECOCK
I'm trying to find a small, but tall pot for boiling ramen, specifically one that would fit this strainer: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01DF4L2DG/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&th=1.

I want a small one that just tall and narrow so it boils quickly but still will cook all the noodles.

I am having a hard time finding one that isn't a piece of poo poo. Any suggestions?

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Skyarb posted:

I'm trying to find a small, but tall pot for boiling ramen, specifically one that would fit this strainer: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01DF4L2DG/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&th=1.

I want a small one that just tall and narrow so it boils quickly but still will cook all the noodles.

I am having a hard time finding one that isn't a piece of poo poo. Any suggestions?

try looking at asparagus steamers. for instance:

https://amzn.to/3vsxKcq

this is 4 quarts and just shy of 7 inches wide so your strainer should fit.

StarkingBarfish
Jun 25, 2006

Novus Ordo Seclorum
I just had fun replacing the grease in an old kitchenaid artisan Mrs. Barfish got 2ndhand. I now know why they're so drat heavy. Most of the weight appears to be grease:

That stuff was *nasty*. I was transporting the mixer on its side and it leaked this horrible oily mess everywhere which I initially was worried was rusty water. A quick google led me to this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8eKHVvNX5eY

The instructions there were straightforward, only difference between mine and the model shown was that the gearbox bolts on mine were square heads.

The amount of grease that guy removed is consistent with what was in mine. It's back up and running, sounds a bit quieter and seems smoother than it did before the change.

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000
Probation
Can't post for 44 hours!
Ultra Carp
:staredog:

StarkingBarfish
Jun 25, 2006

Novus Ordo Seclorum

Yeah, I'm glad I looked at that video before opening it, otherwise I'd have thought that grease was some eldritch horror inflicted on me by the last owner. Turns out food-grade grease looks really nasty when it goes bad. The good news at least is it's easy enough, if messy, to replace.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

i thought that was some kind of terrible mistake then, from that video, i just learned that it's intentional and there's really just supposed to be like 2 cups of grease in there holy crap

StarkingBarfish
Jun 25, 2006

Novus Ordo Seclorum
The amount of nasty oil pouring out of it made me think there'd be quite a lot of grease in there, but yeah I wasn't expecting.... that. The gearbox area in the upper housing had about 3 golfball sized clumps in it I had to scoop out on top of what you see in that pic.

Fair play to Kitchenaid, the gears all looked good as new in there after I scraped that poo poo off them. Anyway, if anyone else is seeing nasty brown liquid coming out of their mixer housing, now you know what needs done. Food-grade machine grease is cheap on amazon. The only tricky bits are making sure you have a square-head driver and a punch to remove one pin.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Some spilled out of mine like 15 years ago. The one I mentioned earlier that I’ve never done maintenance on. Good to know there’s extra.

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

The grease can separate if it isn't used in quite some time.

The fix is to just run it a bunch and it eventually re-emulsifies.

I had to change out the one gear in my made by Hobart kitchen aid a few months ago after it broke and scraped all that nasty poo poo out and put all new grease back in.

The one kitchen I used to work in the 50+ year old big floor standing Hobart up and died one night when I was mixing bread dough.

Something went bad in the gear box and it bled all the oil/grease out of the part the hook attached to into a bowl of dough.

The repair guy came and looked at it in the morning and said "I can't even get parts for this anymore"

The next two weeks we had to go back and forth between kneading the dough by hand and using the smaller mixers to make multiple batches while a new mixer got shipped out.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Thumposaurus posted:

The grease can separate if it isn't used in quite some time.

The fix is to just run it a bunch and it eventually re-emulsifies.

I had to change out the one gear in my made by Hobart kitchen aid a few months ago after it broke and scraped all that nasty poo poo out and put all new grease back in.

The one kitchen I used to work in the 50+ year old big floor standing Hobart up and died one night when I was mixing bread dough.

Something went bad in the gear box and it bled all the oil/grease out of the part the hook attached to into a bowl of dough.

The repair guy came and looked at it in the morning and said "I can't even get parts for this anymore"

The next two weeks we had to go back and forth between kneading the dough by hand and using the smaller mixers to make multiple batches while a new mixer got shipped out.

So basically kitchenaid mixer grease is the opposite of an aioli, if it breaks you can fix it and there's always too much of it.

StarkingBarfish
Jun 25, 2006

Novus Ordo Seclorum

VelociBacon posted:

So basically kitchenaid mixer grease is the opposite of an aioli, if it breaks you can fix it and there's always too much of it.

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer

StarkingBarfish posted:

I just had fun replacing the grease in an old kitchenaid artisan Mrs. Barfish got 2ndhand. I now know why they're so drat heavy. Most of the weight appears to be grease:

That stuff was *nasty*. I was transporting the mixer on its side and it leaked this horrible oily mess everywhere which I initially was worried was rusty water. A quick google led me to this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8eKHVvNX5eY

The instructions there were straightforward, only difference between mine and the model shown was that the gearbox bolts on mine were square heads.

The amount of grease that guy removed is consistent with what was in mine. It's back up and running, sounds a bit quieter and seems smoother than it did before the change.

Looks degraded, but this doesn’t look like an excessive amount of grease for a gearbox? It has to be enough to cover all of the exposed surfaces of the gears or else they’ll corrode.

StarkingBarfish
Jun 25, 2006

Novus Ordo Seclorum
In case you think that's all there was, watch the video- that was what was left on the gears, inside the cover was about a pound more of the same. I don't think it's particularly excessive for the reasons you state, but it came as a surprise to me since I'm used to trying (and typically failing) to fix modern appliances that tend to use brushless motors with sealed planetary gear reductions and much less grease. Last time I encountered something like this it was on a circa 1970's electric drill gearbox.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

I would be surprised if, with the exception of the plastic intentional weak-link gear, the drivetrain was much changed since 1970 or so whenever the KitchenAid mixers came out.

StarkingBarfish
Jun 25, 2006

Novus Ordo Seclorum

VelociBacon posted:

I would be surprised if, with the exception of the plastic intentional weak-link gear, the drivetrain was much changed since 1970 or so whenever the KitchenAid mixers came out.

From what I've seen it doesn't look like it, for this particular incarnation. From what I understand the older artisans are more like the even older classics but I've not been inside any other models. There's some more die-cast stuff in this one like the structure that holds the plastic gear but the drivetrain is all cast rather than sintered as far as I can see.

AvE did a breakdown of one of the newer 6000s a while back and unless he removed grease off-screen, which I don't think he did, there is waaay less grease in it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0qKp-0h9P18

See 23:00 onwards. The other difference is what I'd expect from my previous post: planetary gears and a more modern (but still brushed) OEM motor.

Based on this, I'd rate the old artisan better than the new pros just because changing the brushes on the older ones can be done without opening the unit.

StarkingBarfish fucked around with this message at 15:13 on May 3, 2021

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

hell yeah AvE. I was just about to post that, but by the time it took me to scrub through and listen to his prose, you beat me.

pretty skookum yeah?

StarkingBarfish
Jun 25, 2006

Novus Ordo Seclorum
He's a treasure. The Juicero teardown was another thread relevant revelation.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

StarkingBarfish posted:

Yeah, I'm glad I looked at that video before opening it, otherwise I'd have thought that grease was some eldritch horror inflicted on me by the last owner. Turns out food-grade grease looks really nasty when it goes bad. The good news at least is it's easy enough, if messy, to replace.

btw what did you end up using as a replacement grease?

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Paul MaudDib posted:

btw what did you end up using as a replacement grease?

Buttercream.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StarkingBarfish
Jun 25, 2006

Novus Ordo Seclorum
Amazon has a bunch but this has been recommended by several places specifically for kitchenaid mixers:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Kitchenaid...ps%2C160&sr=8-1