Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

Elephanthead posted:

Ok but windows update restarted with a splash screen that wanted clicked before any other processes were allowed to start

That’s purely a setting thing. See above.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

frh
Dec 6, 2014

Hire Kenny G to play for me in the elevator.

Elephanthead posted:

Ok but windows update restarted with a splash screen that wanted clicked before any other processes were allowed to start

We're going to need a five hundred word dissertation on why you need to do this before we're willing to provide any help

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

No need. They asked for a solution to the login screen, and they received it since there's a proper way to accomplish this without breaking the OS. Ticket closed.

I'll add an addendum that the auto-login account should be a local account that isn't bound to a Microsoft account, and I'm assuming that server is headless and doesn't hold anything sensitive should someone break in and steal it, but that's a detail.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Think Facebook might have pulled the plug on the Plexaholics group, it’s not coming up for me at the moment.

e: ah yes, new group has been made as it sounds like either Sky or Virgin Media had them busted.

EL BROMANCE fucked around with this message at 21:08 on Mar 24, 2021

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

Anyone have any opinions on PseudoTV vs DizqueTV? Looking to create some fake TV channels with random themed programming to get over the whole "So much content, can't decide what to watch" thing.

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

dizqueTV is just the fork for plex/emby of PseudoTV, as far as I'm aware. Given the thread it's the only good option.
I can't remember why I decided I wouldn't bother installing it, but I did like the idea of it

e: it's because of the home users restriction; it creates it as a liveTV feed in plex and it's limited as such. Broke how I wanted to use it, anyway.

Khablam fucked around with this message at 02:34 on Mar 25, 2021

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

EL BROMANCE posted:

Think Facebook might have pulled the plug on the Plexaholics group, it’s not coming up for me at the moment.

e: ah yes, new group has been made as it sounds like either Sky or Virgin Media had them busted.

What was going on in there?

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Sounds like it was talk of indexers and Facebook probably didn’t want to get involved so just pulled it. It’s more of a dick waving competition over who has more storage and people getting into fights about dumb stuff. Had the occasional enjoyable thread. Of course like every group, it was 90% talk about justice league for the last week.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
This new home screen they are forcing down my throat is pretty lovely imho. No longer do I see "resume watching Salute Your Shorts", I have to go to TV and then "suggested" for that now. But instead I can see the Ben Shapiro radio show and "Transmorphers 2 with commercials" with convenience like never before!

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

Oh, so that's what that is! My friend asked me this morning if I was having the same problem and I said I wasn't, but usually if everything is humming along smoothly I don't go looking for updates.

Burden
Jul 25, 2006

I think you need to make sure all the Plex stuff (Movies and Shows, Wen Shows, and Podcasts) is not pinned and it shouldn't show up in your feed.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Chumbawumba4ever97 posted:

This new home screen they are forcing down my throat is pretty lovely imho. No longer do I see "resume watching Salute Your Shorts", I have to go to TV and then "suggested" for that now. But instead I can see the Ben Shapiro radio show and "Transmorphers 2 with commercials" with convenience like never before!

I have all of Plex's stupid rear end "Online Media Sources" disabled lol. Everyone ITT should do the same.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

teagone posted:

I have all of Plex's stupid rear end "Online Media Sources" disabled lol. Everyone ITT should do the same.

I did that but now it just shows me recently added TV and movies, with no way to resume shows or movies any more.

Violator
May 15, 2003

teagone posted:

Yeah, I have all of their stuff disabled and I actually don't notice a difference between this and what I had before.

I did browse their TV selection, because I haven't done that in a while, and it's all terrible schlock. But maybe I should try their kung-fu and b-movie channel every once in a while.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
They have the jackie chan classic “wheels on meals” on there and I watch bits of it here and there, it rules.

nexus6
Sep 2, 2011

If only you could see what I've seen with your eyes
For some reason I can't download/sync anything from my Plex server to my android tablet; I keep getting the error "there is an error with this item". I have no problems streaming and there is plenty of space on both my tablet and the server. Any ideas?

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

Update/reinstall the app?

nexus6
Sep 2, 2011

If only you could see what I've seen with your eyes
Nah, just reinstalled it there - exactly the same issue. 0% "there is an issue with this item"

Cornjob
Jun 12, 2007

NOT AN ACTOR

I did that but now it just shows me recently added TV and movies, with no way to resume shows or movies any more.

Which libraries you see can be adjusted in your client. What gets dispplayed in your home screen can all be customized in your account settings. The new new home screen is glorious. Full customization.

Cornjob fucked around with this message at 08:36 on Apr 9, 2021

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

Cornjob posted:

Which libraries you see can be adjusted in your client. What gets dispplayed in your home screen can all be customized in your account settings. The new new home screen is glorious. Full customization.

I just logged into my server, went into the main admin account, reset all customizations, removed anything related to the free Plex garbage, and all I see are recently added movies and TV shows. No way to see "resume watching" or "on deck" or anything like that. What am I not seeing?

Cornjob
Jun 12, 2007

NOT AN ACTOR

I just logged into my server, went into the main admin account, reset all customizations, removed anything related to the free Plex garbage, and all I see are recently added movies and TV shows. No way to see "resume watching" or "on deck" or anything like that. What am I not seeing?

Go to your server, then go to settings, and under “manage”, select libraries.
For each library, put a next to things you want displayed on your plex, Home Screen, that librarie’s Home Screen, and your shared users screens.

Making changes to the web client are independent of your streaming clients. You can have libraries pinned in the web client that aren’t pinned in your firetv, for example. Where are you not seeing resume etc? In the web client or your streaming device? If it’s your client, you have to pin the libraries you want to see, and you have to go to “edit Home Screen” in the client to change what’s visible.

Cornjob fucked around with this message at 07:50 on Apr 18, 2021

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
I'm having trouble adding media to my Plex server. When I go to 'scan library files' after adding new movies, the popup says "queuing a scan of the 'Movies' section," which is not the phrasing I recall it using previously - and seems to imply that it's trying to do something else in the process, hence the word 'queuing'. Any ideas? Should I just delete the registry files on the hard drive itself and let the libraries re-compile entirely? What files should I trash and how long will this take? Thanks!

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

Standard first step is the plex library shuffle
- remove all the media from the folder
- adjust scheduling hours so you're outside of the window
- adjust scheduling hours so you're inside of the window (wait for all processes to finish)
- add media back in
- scan folder

(skip step 2 if you already are)

It should remove the media from the library and butler everything, then take a completely fresh run at adding it.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

Cornjob posted:

Go to your server, then go to settings, and under “manage”, select libraries.
For each library, put a next to things you want displayed on your plex, Home Screen, that librarie’s Home Screen, and your shared users screens.

Making changes to the web client are independent of your streaming clients. You can have libraries pinned in the web client that aren’t pinned in your firetv, for example. Where are you not seeing resume etc? In the web client or your streaming device? If it’s your client, you have to pin the libraries you want to see, and you have to go to “edit Home Screen” in the client to change what’s visible.

I would have never figured this out in a million years. Thank you so much.

I used to always see "on deck" on the main home screen on my TV, but it went away with the latest update to Plex. Going into the settings you mentioned brought it back. Thank you so much!! :worship:

edit: I spoke a little too soon. I don't see the option for "on deck" or "resume" anywhere. I used to be able to see these on the home screen just fine.

Chumbawumba4ever97 fucked around with this message at 15:47 on Apr 19, 2021

Fart of Presto
Feb 9, 2001
Clapping Larry

I would have never figured this out in a million years. Thank you so much.

I used to always see "on deck" on the main home screen on my TV, but it went away with the latest update to Plex. Going into the settings you mentioned brought it back. Thank you so much!! :worship:

edit: I spoke a little too soon. I don't see the option for "on deck" or "resume" anywhere. I used to be able to see these on the home screen just fine.

On Deck settings are in Settings/Library, not in settings for the individual libraries.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

Fart of Presto posted:

On Deck settings are in Settings/Library, not in settings for the individual libraries.

I went to settings, library, and the only thing I see in there that could be related is this:

" Include season premieres in On Deck"

Nothing else. Am I in the wrong place?

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

Scroll down, it's under manage

Greekonomics
Jun 22, 2009

I’ve been running a Plex server off of my old laptop for a couple of years now, but it seems to be on its last legs. I saw someone in the Giant Bomb thread mention running Plex off of a NAS server so I’ve been looking into getting one. I’m thinking about getting a Synology DS920+ to run Plex off of and store files on. Does anyone have any experience with the DS920+? I know that earlier on in the thread someone had trouble with buffering.

I should also mention I’m not super tech-savvy, so sorry if this is a dumb question.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!

Greekonomics posted:

I’ve been running a Plex server off of my old laptop for a couple of years now, but it seems to be on its last legs. I saw someone in the Giant Bomb thread mention running Plex off of a NAS server so I’ve been looking into getting one. I’m thinking about getting a Synology DS920+ to run Plex off of and store files on. Does anyone have any experience with the DS920+? I know that earlier on in the thread someone had trouble with buffering.

I should also mention I’m not super tech-savvy, so sorry if this is a dumb question.

There is also a NAS thread that may be helpful

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=2801557

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)

Greekonomics posted:

As long as you're not doing multiple transcoding streams the synology is a great way to run plex and consolidate your storage. I'm more into UnRAID but I'm also very comfortable in Linux land.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

Greekonomics posted:

That's my model and it works like a champ. I did try and migrate my docker instance over to it, but never could get hardware transcoding going that way so I just installed it like a regular person. It's a good little box.

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

I've been looking at that exact model recently too. My current Synology is a DS411 and while I still really like it, it's quite old at this point and I'd be sad if it died.

Was planning on maybe relocating it to the shed in order to serve as a backup for whatever I get next.

And yeah, getting a NAS that also runs plex would be great.

Tricky Ed
Aug 18, 2010

It is important to avoid confusion. This is the one that's okay to lick.

I have no idea what I'm doing at all and I am very happy with my 920+. I picked up some cheap nvme drives and some extra RAM with it. I set the nvme drives to be used as a cache (I'm told read-only is what to do here and not read-write?) and I guess that is good. went small on the drive size and I'm going to have to upgrade those soon, but that's not a problem with the device per se. If I ever dip my toe back into the Usenet world I'll be running that stuff on the box too, which I'm told is pretty easy to keep running.

We'll see what happens once the OLED gets here and 4k is a thing but for now it's doing everything I need it to do while sitting quietly in the pantry.

BaronVanAwesome
Sep 11, 2001

I will never learn the secrets of "Increased fake female boar sp..."

Never say never, buddy.
Now you know.
Now we all know.
I JUST built a home NAS using unRAID, I am very much a hobbyist when it comes to computer stuff, but re-purposing a 2500k and some shucked drives was way, way cheaper than a synology, while adding more functionality. You really don't need to have any Linux knowledge or anything (although some advanced stuff I'm sure it'd help)

But setting up a pool with SSD cache and Plex with shares and stuff was fast and painless. I'm now diving into automating plex requests and stuff which is slightly scarier.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)

BaronVanAwesome posted:

I JUST built a home NAS using unRAID, I am very much a hobbyist when it comes to computer stuff, but re-purposing a 2500k and some shucked drives was way, way cheaper than a synology, while adding more functionality. You really don't need to have any Linux knowledge or anything (although some advanced stuff I'm sure it'd help)

But setting up a pool with SSD cache and Plex with shares and stuff was fast and painless. I'm now diving into automating plex requests and stuff which is slightly scarier.

Normally I’d be right next to you singing the praises of unraid as i love it too but for a nontechnical people who just want push button, have storage/plex theres value isn’t he added cost there.

I find unRAID to be a really nice median between prebuilt and rolling your own. And ill agree that its docker as a plugin system is really nice but there’s definitely some setting up involved there (like getting the “App Store” set up and having a some rudimentary understanding of the mount system docker uses).

I also think you can do all that automation stuff on Synology as well.

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

How is power usage on something like that vs. a Synology?

I guess I could look it up. Power is expensive here.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

Khablam posted:

Scroll down, it's under manage

Right, but that's where I was and all I get is this:

No options for on deck or resume watching.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Right, but that's where I was and all I get is this:

No options for on deck or resume watching.

On deck/resume watching should show up automatically on a per library basis anytime you don't finish watching something or are in the middle of watching a show season.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

teagone posted:

On deck/resume watching should show up automatically on a per library basis anytime you don't finish watching something or are in the middle of watching a show season.

Yeah my problem is it used to show on the home screen and it doesn't any more, ever since this "new homescreen" thing got rolled out. I am trying to get it back on the home screen if that's possible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fart of Presto
Feb 9, 2001
Clapping Larry
I have disabled all the crap Plex tries to throw at me. I only have a movies, tv and music library. Everything else has been disabled and unpinned.
Then, on the home screen in the upper right corner, click the Edit (pen) icon.
On my dialog box I have "Continue with Automatic" and "Disable (Manually manage)", so it seems like letting Plex automatically mange the home screen, while only having your own local libraries works.

Is it because you only have one library defined, eg. Movies, so Plex won't default to the "big" Home screen, but only show you the Recommended tab of the library?
Looking at my Recommended tab in the Movies library, there aren't any On Deck entries, because movies aren't TV series.