Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Can anyone please explain to me what free form scenario system actually means. Does it just mean you can to to different places

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kongming
Aug 30, 2005

Basically you have free reign over where you go and when in a scenario and every region is explorable by anyone (with a few exceptions) but their relevance to a character's main quest will vary. There are points of no return on every characters scenario and the game will warn you if you're about to agree to something that will lock you in to the ending.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

SaGa Frontier is from the era when Square had fancy system names for everything up to and including "you can go wherever you want and there are different character you can play as :shobon:"

herculon
Sep 7, 2018

I refused to go right and up the stairs. I defeated the Griffin and saved Gina.

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011
Somewhere ages and ages hence:
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I—
I took the one without the stairs
And that has killed all the griffins.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Arrhythmia posted:

Sub-Actuality
Apr 17, 2007

Arrhythmia posted:

lol

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

The upcoming physical release for Switch has some of the best box art I've ever seen

herculon
Sep 7, 2018

Harrow posted:

The upcoming physical release for Switch has some of the best box art I've ever seen

drat the patient gamer always wins

AverySpecialfriend
Jul 8, 2017

by Hand Knit

herculon posted:

drat the patient gamer always wins

☝🏻

mycophobia
May 7, 2008

Harrow posted:

that looks really cool

Vadun
Mar 9, 2011

I'm hungrier than a green snake in a sugar cane field.

Any idea how much HP a Big Digger has? Not sure how close I am to being able to take one if these things down.

I really want the weapons and mech skills they have

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

i was doing some reading about monster systems to do riki's scenario and i found this collection of interviews with the team:

https://essenceofsaga.wordpress.com/complete-interviews/

my favorite bit's this

Main Staff Interview posted:

―Regarding the “sparking” system, what kind of rules are there for sparking abilities?
Koizumi

Each character has an established “time” where it’s easiest to learn a specific Art. There are also spark tree hierarchies where using Art A makes it easier to spark Art B. These are the key factors in determining spark rates…but to tell the truth, even I don’t know which Arts will spark and when.

―Whaaat?!
Koizumi

It’d be boring if you knew everything about the game when playing, wouldn’t it? That’s why, when I was making final adjustments to the system, I changed the parameters so that even I wouldn’t understand them. Then I could enjoy playing the game, too (laugh).

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Fungah! posted:

i was doing some reading about monster systems to do riki's scenario and i found this collection of interviews with the team:

my favorite bit's this

lmao awesome

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up
good

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

Kongming posted:

So I never understood the whole "Shuzer has Red's father's brain" bit at the end of your fight with him. Does that mean Shuzer had Dr. Okonogi's brain implanted in his own skull? Why would you do something like that? How does Shuzer know that Alkaiser is Red in the first place? Wouldn't that mean that Red's identity has been revealed and his memory should get erased? Before the fight Shuzer acts like he doesn't even know who Alkaiser is! These are the questions that have been plaguing me for 20+ years.

ahhhh! i actually read an interview about this! shuzer implants red's dad's brain somewhere in his body so he can feel it suffer as shuzer does evil stuff, he can't read its memories but can feel okonogi's feelings and emotions until alkaiser kicks his rear end

https://essenceofsaga.wordpress.com/home/book-index/100mysteries/

Kawazu posted:

33 Why does Shuzer have Dr. Okonogi’s brain implanted in his body?
He wanted Dr. Okonogi to suffer. The Doctor’s brain is still alive, by the way, so that’s why messages like “STOP!” appear whenever Shuzer hurts Red. But Shuzer can’t help but enjoy hearing that voice (laugh). He takes pleasure in the suffering of others.

Shuzer can be taken down with one more hit after he says “I’ve got Okonogi’s brain!”, so go ahead and use your special move while shedding bitter tears.

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Fungah! posted:

my favorite bit's this

lmfao awesome

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them
beat emilia - did they make diva not habe 100k hp anymore it didn’t seme as hard a fight

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Fungah! posted:

my favorite bit's this

god I love SaGa games

bump_fn posted:

beat emilia - did they make diva not habe 100k hp anymore it didn’t seme as hard a fight

boss HP scales with your battle rank so you might have had a lower BR going in

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

TIL that the game timer doesnt pause if you put the game to sleep unless you actually pause the game first, so all my clears have 100+ hours on them. i thought it was some weird thing with battle rank lmao

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

turns out the new superboss modes of the final bosses are pretty hard and it is indeed possible for three characters spamming DSC to run out of WP and the boss is still standing so

yeah that's pretty cool

Tokyo Sexwale
Jul 30, 2003

Fungah! posted:

my favorite bit's this

lmao kawazu ftmfw

herculon
Sep 7, 2018

Halfway through the scenarios and this game owns. Emelia's and T260G's are probably my favorites so far.

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them
i forgot how much the magma slimes fight sucks poo poo even when i have an aoe attack that can kill them all i’m not fast enough and they get enough hits on riki that he wipes before i get through them all

i suck

herculon
Sep 7, 2018

I’ve been stuck on Riki’s end boss since yesterday. It’s a cool fight, but it just slowly whittles me down.

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

bump_fn posted:

i forgot how much the magma slimes fight sucks poo poo even when i have an aoe attack that can kill them all i’m not fast enough and they get enough hits on riki that he wipes before i get through them all

i suck

big trick is to use the thief's ring to give everyone a free round and to keep riki hidden. also if you have a couple mechs just hide riki and let them do most of the work

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

also if yiur battle rank is high enough that you can farm crystal trees in the bio research lab to get stone gas and you have tail swipe (riki starts with it) and one of the bite moves (fang, feral pounce, and uhhhhh one more) you can turn into a black dragon which has 8 LP. not much but its a bit of a cushion, also the form is super strong

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

herculon posted:

I’ve been stuck on Riki’s end boss since yesterday. It’s a cool fight, but it just slowly whittles me down.

if you're still on the fight, harmonium earrings are a huge help, probably the boss they help the most with since they block Oscillation

herculon
Sep 7, 2018

Harrow posted:

if you're still on the fight, harmonium earrings are a huge help, probably the boss they help the most with since they block Oscillation

Thanks, pal. That was exactly what I needed to beat that fight.

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them
beat rikis scenario time to take a crack at the new fuse stuff

rodbeard
Jul 21, 2005

I did something stupid and bought the android version of the game to have something to play on my subway ride to work. It took a lot of fights to get across the spike room with Riki. I also beat my head on the magma slime fight to until I realized I could just put all my AOE attack characters into the second party slot and not even send Riki into the fight. I've got Riki and T260 done so far.

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

I forgot how much I don't like Lute's story until I had to go do the gold trick and, because of who he meets, you have to hit another screen before you can go to Nelson

that and completely loving up the Arcane quest until I hit the Bio Lab for a while. the game basically starting and middling out in Shrike is still weird

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them
beat lute, as soon as i clear his fuse quest i’ll be halfway through

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheMightyBoops
Nov 1, 2016

Harrow posted:

Oh poo poo. I ordered the import physical version from Play Asia and it has way worse art. I finished one protag so far and will pick it up periodically through the next year probably.