Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

spankmeister posted:

Yes. If you're gonna troll make a better effort.

This, right here. Low effort trolling will be met with low effort bird photography.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Jupiter
Apr 25, 2010

Picked up some of this year's Aberlour A'Bunadh. Batch #69, for this blessed day of Four and Twenty

DROP TABLE PHIZ
Feb 10, 2018

IF YOU AIN'T GETTIN LIT YOU BETTER STAY OUT BITCH
i laughed at the wild turkey post

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

DROP TABLE PHIZ posted:

i laughed at the wild turkey post

Look at their post history in this thread.

Top comedy there.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

A Jupiter posted:

Picked up some of this year's Aberlour A'Bunadh. Batch #69, for this blessed day of Four and Twenty

I went out of my way to pick up a bottle of this release lol.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

I've been drinking p much only high proof bourbons for the last month and I didn't think my palate adapted that much, but I just poured a dram of Glenfiddich 14 at 86 proof and this tastes/feels super watery. I'm surprised at how much difference it makes.

Edit: earlier in the thread I was complaining about not being able to nose whiskey well, but I finally got myself a couple glencairns and that really does make a difference.

Casu Marzu fucked around with this message at 02:00 on Apr 21, 2021

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

A Jupiter posted:

How much is it running these days? I loved ABunadh at ~$60 but the price keeps going up.near me

asciidic
Aug 19, 2005

lord of the valves

Vox Nihili posted:

How much is it running these days? I loved ABunadh at ~$60 but the price keeps going up.near me

I bought it for $90 in SC a couple months ago. It's $110-120 here near me in central FL right now :(

A Jupiter
Apr 25, 2010

Vox Nihili posted:

$99.95 canuck-a-roos here in Ontario.

Enigma
Jun 10, 2003
Raetus Deus Est.

$105 USD in Florida, which is why I’ve never had it

Jean-Paul Shartre
Jan 16, 2015

this sentence no verb

Yeah I've had three different bottles over the year, all as gifts. It's always a good dram, particularly if you like sweet sherry, but not quite good enough to justify a purchase at over a hundred. Which here in NYC it'll be: 115-130 is what I'd expect.

Deceptive Thinker
Oct 5, 2005

I'll rip out your optics!
90ish here in RI/MA but I also still have an unopened bottle from 2014 (b47) so I haven't exactly been hunting it.
I've held A'Bunadh Alba in my hands a couple of times before putting it back on the shelf but probably need to try it before buying it.

That reminds me that I still need to re-visit a store that was full of "dusty" scotches and had 3 bottles of 60% Glenlivet Nadurra 16 year on the shelf for $75 to see if they're still there, and grab them if they are

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008
Looks like I can still get A'Bunadh for $77 here (or the "Alba" version for $115). I guess things could be worse.

DoctaFun
Dec 12, 2005

Dammit Francis!

Deceptive Thinker posted:

90ish here in RI/MA but I also still have an unopened bottle from 2014 (b47) so I haven't exactly been hunting it.
I've held A'Bunadh Alba in my hands a couple of times before putting it back on the shelf but probably need to try it before buying it.

That reminds me that I still need to re-visit a store that was full of "dusty" scotches and had 3 bottles of 60% Glenlivet Nadurra 16 year on the shelf for $75 to see if they're still there, and grab them if they are

FWIW, batch 47 A’bunadh is one of my favorite bottles in my collection! I was lucky enough to find 3 of them around me about a year ago, at the old price of $69.99.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Abunadh batch 69 costs €69,99 in my area.

Quiet Feet
Dec 14, 2009

THE HELL IS WITH THIS ASS!?

Deceptive Thinker posted:

Hi, RI/Mass-line goon here you should tell me where those are so I can keep an eye on them for you. Can't be too safe.:ninja:

Greg12
Apr 22, 2020
if bourbon has to be aged in new oak casks

and capitalism demands hundreds of millions of gallons of the stuff

(1.7 million barrels in 2020)

what counts as a barrel?

Are there 1.7 million Colonial Williamsburg-rear end barrels hewn from the forests each year, or are they relining enormous tanks with pre-charred oak veneers, or what? Is this what we're paying for when we buy a $70 bottle instead of a $15 bottle of Beam?

Greg12 fucked around with this message at 16:16 on Apr 25, 2021

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Greg12 posted:

if bourbon has to be aged in new oak casks

and capitalism demands hundreds of millions of gallons of the stuff

(1.7 million barrels in 2020)

what counts as a barrel?

Are there 1.7 million Colonial Williamsburg barrels hewn from the forests each year, or are they relining enormous tanks with pre-charred oak veneers, or what? Is this what we're paying for when we buy a $70 bottle instead of a $15 bottle of Beam?

They have to be aged in charred new oak containers, so they do indeed cut down all those trees.

quote:

(1)(i) “Bourbon whisky”, “rye whisky”, “wheat whisky”, “malt whisky”, or “rye malt whisky” is whisky produced at not exceeding 160° proof from a fermented mash of not less than 51 percent corn, rye, wheat, malted barley, or malted rye grain, respectively, and stored at not more than 125° proof in charred new oak containers; and also includes mixtures of such whiskies of the same type.

Deceptive Thinker
Oct 5, 2005

Old barrels are almost always reused in some way for aging other types of alcohol or things like maple syrup or honey

Most barrels are sold or given to wineries, breweries, or distilleries that age scotch/tequila/rum/other non-bourbon/rye whiskys

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Other american whiskey styles like light whiskey or corn whiskey can be aged in reused oak barrels and they can be very good. But I'd bet the vast majority gets shipped over to Scotland, where they all get used to great effect for scotch whisky.

Enigma
Jun 10, 2003
Raetus Deus Est.

Barrel aged beer is all the rage too now

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

spankmeister posted:

They have to be aged in charred new oak containers, so they do indeed cut down all those trees.

To add to this I haven't found any legislation or regulations defining what a "container" is exactly so I don't know if there are limits placed on the size but they are commonly 53 gallons or 200 liters for Bourbon.

Deceptive Thinker
Oct 5, 2005

Enigma posted:

Barrel aged beer is all the rage too now

Yeah

One of the barrel pick groups here has been donating the empty barrels that they're able to keep to one of the local breweries for beer aging

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

spankmeister posted:

Other american whiskey styles like light whiskey or corn whiskey can be aged in reused oak barrels and they can be very good. But I'd bet the vast majority gets shipped over to Scotland, where they all get used to great effect for scotch whisky.

Don’t forget Japan. They may be “new(ish)” at the table, but aped the historical material and copied the recipes down to the mL for Scotch for a few decades before hitting their stride and coming up with original ideas and procedures of their own. I tagged along to a parents’ friends’ house just last night and his Japanese wife made and served warm Sake to the men’s table on the porch, and once we fellas drank it all (42°C in a copper pot!) he broke out a bottle of a good Japanese whiskey, and it was completely different-tasting than any I’d ever had. I forgot to find out the brand because I was drunk from the Sake. It was very floral and tasted a bit like all the good parts of a habano-wrapped cigar. I am calling him tomorrow to learn names and I do remember his wife telling me you can heat Sake in the microwave if you want, but that’s not as enjoyable as making a little ritual show from her traditional ancestors for a group of really good friends. She did also remind me that most of the men I physically meet with are all retired, some who fought against the Japanese army in WWII. Enough alcohol brings everyone to the table!

A Jupiter
Apr 25, 2010

DerekSmartymans posted:

Don’t forget Japan. They may be “new(ish)” at the table, but aped the historical material and copied the recipes down to the mL for Scotch for a few decades before hitting their stride and coming up with original ideas and procedures of their own.

The story of Japanese whisky is often told as the story of one man, Masataka Taketsuru. And his life story is essentially the arc you're describing. He came from a line of sake brewers, but enrolled in chemistry at the University of Glasglow after being sponsored by a Japanese company that wanted to venture into domestic whisky production.

While there he apprenticed at distilleries in Strathspey, the Highlands, and one at Campbeltown. Everything I read about him suggests that whisky wasn't just a business opportunity, but actually his true passion.

He returned to Japan and founded the Yamazaki distillery for Suntory, making mass-market stuff for them. Then after his tenure ended he moved north to Hokkaido where the climate was closer to Scotland. There he opened the Yoichi distillery and founded Nikka. I think about this guy and his amazing life every time I drink Japanese whisky.

A Jupiter fucked around with this message at 19:06 on Apr 26, 2021

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

A Jupiter posted:

The story of Japanese whisky is often told as the story of one man, Masataka Taketsuru. And his life story is essentially the arc you're describing.

Yeah I remembered the story but can’t remember if I ever knew the name associated with it, so kudos!

The lady (“Aunt Yuki”) is extremely proud of her upbringing, and her culture. She’s also a very smart lady and a “secret” anime fan. I was always into comic books growing up, though, but pretty much can tell you where all of Hollywood’s “original” action ideas were stolen from. Like “Simpsons did it” but with more tentacles 🦑.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

A Jupiter posted:

The story of Japanese whisky is often told as the story of one man, Masataka Taketsuru. And his life story is essentially the arc you're describing. He came from a line of sake brewers, but enrolled in chemistry at the University of Glasglow after being sponsored by a Japanese company that wanted to venture into domestic whisky production.

While there he apprenticed at distilleries in Strathspey, the Highlands, and one at Campbeltown. Everything I read about him suggests that whisky wasn't just a business opportunity, but actually his true passion.

He returned to Japan and founded the Yamazaki distillery for Suntory, making mass-market stuff for them. Then after his tenure ended he moved north to Hokkaido where the climate was closer to Scotland. There he opened the Yoichi distillery and founded Nikka. I think about this guy and his amazing life every time I drink Japanese whisky.

Apparently he founded the Yamazaki, Yoichi, and Miyagikyo distilleries. Three of the four malt notable distilleries in Japan. Pretty wild.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

DerekSmartymans posted:

Don’t forget Japan.

Oh, I would never. :) Scotch is just the biggest example but fact is that used bourbon barrels are exported all over the world and used for aging spirits and other things. Japan is a great example of that.

quote:

They may be “new(ish)” at the table, but aped the historical material and copied the recipes down to the mL for Scotch for a few decades before hitting their stride and coming up with original ideas and procedures of their own.

I've always found (real*) Japanese whisky to be excellent. Expertly crafted with great attention to detail. Truly peerless quality, as with many things from Japan.
But because it's so meticulously and precisely made it's lacking a little in those variances that give Scotch single malt its, well, soul.

*There is a lot of crap/fake Japanse whisky nowadays. Due tot the fact that it became suddenly very popular a little under a decade ago, production just couldn't keep up and prices skyrocketed. In trying to meet demand, not only has this resulted in young whisky being sold with no age statement (Hibiki Harmony, Nikka Coffey Malt/Grain comes to mind), but also, and even worse the liquor labeling laws in Japan are very lax, giving producers a lot of leeway. This has resulted in them doing things like import whisk(e)y from for example Scotland and Japan in big containers, blend it with some of their own whisky (maybe not even that!), and sell it as Japanse whisky.

The market for Japanese whisky is so overheated that you can expect to pay 2-300$ for a 12 year old Yamazaki. An equivalent Scotch is maybe $50. Any Japanse whisky that's sold for normal money should be suspected to have whisky from other countries blended in. It's sad. I haven't bought japanese whisky for years for this reason.

Ok rant over, sorry.

quote:

I tagged along to a parents’ friends’ house just last night and his Japanese wife made and served warm Sake to the men’s table on the porch, and once we fellas drank it all (42°C in a copper pot!) he broke out a bottle of a good Japanese whiskey, and it was completely different-tasting than any I’d ever had. I forgot to find out the brand because I was drunk from the Sake. It was very floral and tasted a bit like all the good parts of a habano-wrapped cigar. I am calling him tomorrow to learn names and I do remember his wife telling me you can heat Sake in the microwave if you want, but that’s not as enjoyable as making a little ritual show from her traditional ancestors for a group of really good friends. She did also remind me that most of the men I physically meet with are all retired, some who fought against the Japanese army in WWII. Enough alcohol brings everyone to the table!

That sounds amazing! Not just the whisky and sake but the special ritual and a good time with friends.

zmcnulty
Jul 26, 2003

Vox Nihili posted:

Apparently he founded the Yamazaki, Yoichi, and Miyagikyo distilleries. Three of the four malt notable distilleries in Japan. Pretty wild.

Also, the notebook that he used to record everything he learned in Scotland ended up in the hands of Kiichiro Iwai. In 1960, Iwai was an advisor for Hombo Shuzo (Mars Whisky), and he used his copy of the notebook to help them setup their whisky distillery in Yamanashi. Those were running until as recently as 2014. So while Taketsuru wasn't directly involved, he ended up contributing a lot to Mars Whisky's Yamanashi/Shinshu distilleries as well.

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

Klungo make bessst ever video game, 'Hero Klungo Sssavesss Teh World.'

spankmeister posted:

*There is a lot of crap/fake Japanse whisky nowadays. Due tot the fact that it became suddenly very popular a little under a decade ago, production just couldn't keep up and prices skyrocketed. In trying to meet demand, not only has this resulted in young whisky being sold with no age statement (Hibiki Harmony, Nikka Coffey Malt/Grain comes to mind), but also, and even worse the liquor labeling laws in Japan are very lax, giving producers a lot of leeway. This has resulted in them doing things like import whisk(e)y from for example Scotland and Japan in big containers, blend it with some of their own whisky (maybe not even that!), and sell it as Japanse whisky.

The market for Japanese whisky is so overheated that you can expect to pay 2-300$ for a 12 year old Yamazaki. An equivalent Scotch is maybe $50. Any Japanse whisky that's sold for normal money should be suspected to have whisky from other countries blended in. It's sad. I haven't bought japanese whisky for years for this reason.

Didn’t the laws on this just change to hopefully prevent this kind of shady practice going forward?

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Klungar posted:

Didn’t the laws on this just change to hopefully prevent this kind of shady practice going forward?

Well, it's like an official statement made by an association of distillers in Japan, which iirc does include both Nikka and Suntory, but otherwise it's not a law in any sense and completely voluntary. And it will go in effect in 2024. So a step in the right direction at least but by no means set in stone.

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

What happened to stratisla? I picked up a bottle for like £20 and it’s not out there anymore?

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

They had a rebrand and after that I haven't seen it around anymore either.

Ogmius815
Aug 25, 2005
centrism is a hell of a drug

I have been gifted a bottle of The Macallen 18 year sherry oak. I'm almost afraid to drink it because it's not something I can afford to buy myself on a regular basis and I worry that once I learn how the other half lives I'll be sad.

betterinsodapop
Apr 4, 2004

64:3

Ogmius815 posted:

I have been gifted a bottle of The Macallen 18 year sherry oak. I'm almost afraid to drink it because it's not something I can afford to buy myself on a regular basis and I worry that once I learn how the other half lives I'll be sad.
Maybe just save it for a special occasion/celebration? That way you can give it some significance, and drink it with the understanding that it's not an everyday thing? I dunno.
If it's any consolation: I used to work for a very fancy attorney who drank Macallan 18 like it was water. Dude had "gently caress off" money and ordered by the literal case. I tried it, and while it was good, it in no way justified the price. (I did end up drinking all of his The Yamazaki, however.)

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

It’s mostly hype. Drink that mf

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Drink it down to 2/3 full, then just look at it fondly

It's better to show it to guests at 2/3 than 1/3, which says "I'm scared of killing it and then not having any"

2/3 means you can give them some

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Lost his leg in Robo War I
For me, I get into a spot where I have no problem drinking a nice bottle until it’s half full, then I start getting antsy. The knowledge that oxidation will start to diminish the quality of the juice within a few months, faster the less is in the bottle, both encourages me to drink it and makes me more anxious.

Ya just gotta enjoy it. That’s what it’s for. Don’t be one of those guys that hoards Nikes “on ice” when other people could be wearin em.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Ogmius815 posted:

Drink it (and prepare to be underwhelmed) or maybe trade it for 3-6 bottles of "regular" whiskey.

But really though, just drink it, it's probably pretty good! Macallan is overhyped and overpriced but they generally make quality Scotch. It's a great excuse to try a fancy older bottle at no cost.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gravitee
Nov 20, 2003

I just put money in the Magic Fingers!

Data Graham posted:

Drink it down to 2/3 full, then just look at it fondly

It's better to show it to guests at 2/3 than 1/3, which says "I'm scared of killing it and then not having any"

2/3 means you can give them some

Hello this is me. But now I have a bunch of bottles I've just had a couple of drams from and I'm running out of room.