Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

ull is louisiana until they lose to ulm

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

Alaois posted:

they've been trying so hard to get recognized as just being Louisiana for a few years now and I hope it never fully sticks

Seems like a bit of an insult to Lafayette that they keep trying so hard to get it out of their name

lamentable dustman
Apr 13, 2007

🏆🏆🏆

Declan MacManus posted:

is there optimism for terry bowden in the year of our lord 2021

Depends how much he learned as a grad assistant under Dabo

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Alaois posted:

they've been trying so hard to get recognized as just being Louisiana for a few years now and I hope it never fully sticks

college sports fans hate the underdog smh

Pobrecito
Jun 16, 2020

hasta que la muerte nos separe

curried lamb of God posted:

It really is funny that athletics causes so many political turf battles in Texas - off the top of my head, the state has five separate university systems (UT, A&M, Houston, Tech, TX State) and their respective power brokers would rather die than consider merging them, almost entirely due to football rivalries. I'm living in Virginia now and they have better public universities with a third of the population and only one higher education board.

Then you have the case of Alabama, where the regents stepped in to prevent UAB from hiring Jimbo because they couldn't let them have a better coach than the flagship

How dare you forget about the vaunted UNT system.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/TexasTribune/status/1385051365903327232

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

trying to thread the needle but accidentally poking yourself in the eye with both the thread and the needle

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

the separate but equal longhorn band

LLCoolJD
Dec 8, 2007

Musk threatens the inorganic promotion of left-wing ideology that had been taking place on the platform

Block me for being an unironic DeSantis fan, too!
As I've said before, it's a shame that Boomer Sooner didn't debut at a minstrel show.

I don't have any attachment to The Eyes of Texas but can a song be rehabilitated through decades of innocuous performances? It seems to me that it's not 100% ridiculous for alums to have some attachment to a school song that they never heard in the context of one of those minstrel shows.

Neil Armbong
Jan 16, 2004

If anybody wants to see, there's a Donkey Kong kill screen coming up.
Pillbug

LLCoolJD posted:

As I've said before, it's a shame that Boomer Sooner didn't debut at a minstrel show.

I don't have any attachment to The Eyes of Texas but can a song be rehabilitated through decades of innocuous performances? It seems to me that it's not 100% ridiculous for alums to have some attachment to a school song that they never heard in the context of one of those minstrel shows.

It was performed in blackface until the 60s, if I remember the report correctly. They need to just make a choice and stick with it instead of these half measures.

LLCoolJD
Dec 8, 2007

Musk threatens the inorganic promotion of left-wing ideology that had been taking place on the platform

Block me for being an unironic DeSantis fan, too!

Neil Armbong posted:

It was performed in blackface until the 60s, if I remember the report correctly. They need to just make a choice and stick with it instead of these half measures.

Through the 60s? I was thinking 40s at the latest, wow.

Neil Armbong
Jan 16, 2004

Pillbug

LLCoolJD posted:

I may be conflating it being played with the Cowboys, a fraternal org, having minstrel shows on campus until the 60s

D.N. Nation
Feb 1, 2012

HEY GUYS REMEMBER THIS DUMB RACIST THING EVERYONE'S UP IN ARMS ABOUT WELL WE'RE GOING TO DO A SOLUTION THAT EVERYONE HATES LOOK AT US LOOK AT US KEEP REMEMBERING THIS DUMB RACIST THING EVERYONE'S UP IN ARMS ABOUT LOOK AT US LOOK AT US

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

D.N. Nation posted:

HEY GUYS REMEMBER THIS DUMB RACIST THING EVERYONE'S UP IN ARMS ABOUT WELL WE'RE GOING TO DO A SOLUTION THAT EVERYONE HATES LOOK AT US LOOK AT US KEEP REMEMBERING THIS DUMB RACIST THING EVERYONE'S UP IN ARMS ABOUT LOOK AT US LOOK AT US

It is a supremely strange way to handle this. An entire second band? Is it some kind of transitory state or something?

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

LLCoolJD posted:

its more like, this song has a racist history and the lyrics are racist, could we sing another less racist song or modify the original so we could sing a less racist version of the choo choo train song and the alumni keep refusing

they hunger for the racist choo choo train somg

also lets be clear standing up at the end of the game and having a sing-a-long to workin on the railroad is wack as gently caress, its the corniest hill to die on

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

PostNouveau posted:

It is a supremely strange way to handle this. An entire second band? Is it some kind of transitory state or something?

the 30 year plan to phase out racism in texas

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

I SAID WE'RE NOT GONNA BE FUCKING SUCK THIS YEAR!!!

Texas continues to think that it is too big/important for this poo poo to tarnish them which is why they keep trying to placate everyone vs making a real decision. They assume that they can have their cake and eat it too. Too bad its a racist cake no one should want to eat anymore, but those boosters/donors insist they shovel the racist poo poo cake into their faces.

I just hope that every band member joins the alt band and there is only like one lonely tuba man playing Eyes in the stands.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
Ah yes, a new band for the non-racists, that will fix it

Need the resident Longhorn Band Groupie El Penis to chime in here

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Right or wrong, if Texas had just said "no, we're not changing it; we're not even going to pretend to think about changing it", this whole thing would be over by now.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

General Dog posted:

Right or wrong, if Texas had just said "no, we're not changing it; we're not even going to think about changing it", this whole thing would be over by now.

This is basically what they have done until very recently and it was still a thing because the team doesn't want to do it. "This is our song and we're going to play it like we always have" has been the school's position the entire time.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

MourningView posted:

This is basically what they have done until very recently and it was still a thing because the team doesn't want to do it. "This is our song and we're going to play it like we always have" has been the school's position the entire time.

They pretty much had a band strike, although I think because of covid they didn't actually have to reckon with it.

This idea of having another band that doesn't have to do the racism but also does not do any official events does not address that though. They surveyed the band last year and found they didn't have enough people willing to do the racist train song, and how does this solve that?

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight
Some poor incoming freshman is going to accidentally register for the racist band since it's sure to be the only one with spots open for the fall...

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

I'm not sure who's going to be lining up to join the non-objectionable band that seemingly doesn't get to do anything.

Presumably the real Longhorn Band will self-select and kind of develop its own culture, start flying Thin Burnt Orange Line flags, etc.

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight
MUS 255R - Principles of Racist Performances

Neil Armbong
Jan 16, 2004

Pillbug

General Dog posted:

I'm not sure who's going to be lining up to join the non-objectionable band that seemingly doesn't get to do anything.

Presumably the real Longhorn Band will self-select and kind of develop its own culture, start flying Thin Burnt Orange Line flags, etc.

start performing in black face on alumni band days

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

Would be OK with them starting Eyes of Texas, then after about 10 seconds, going right into WAP.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Neil Armbong posted:

start performing in black face on alumni band days

future campaign events for Senator Sam Ehlinger

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
e: double post

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Next season would anyone be interested in some sort of coaching carousel prediction game?

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

i would mr. dog fire it up

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
My god I hope this information never fully enters my brain because I laugh every single time I remember Bert is at Illinois now.

https://twitter.com/Matt_Fortuna/status/1385288969336799239

I haven't read the article, no idea if it's good, I'm just posting Bret in Illinois gear.

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

I SAID WE'RE NOT GONNA BE FUCKING SUCK THIS YEAR!!!

Until he shows up shirtless with the I on his big gut it ain't enough Bert.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
the Iowa 247 guys seem to think he's doing a good job making in roads in state, at least with the Iowa/Illinois/Wisconsin level guys, presumably Notre Dame will still waltz in and grab whoever they want.

Judgy Fucker
Mar 24, 2006

LLCoolJD posted:

Texas didn't integrate their football team until 1970.

But hey, they sport the last all-white national championship team! There's some tradition for ya.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

i dunno how a power run game is gonna hold up in the b10

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

2PT try will become mandatory at 2OT; at 3OT it's all just alternating 2PT tries
https://twitter.com/RossDellenger/status/1385317092132597761

korrandark
Jan 5, 2009

Declan MacManus posted:

i dunno how a power run game is gonna hold up in the b10

It'll get you a championship loss to Ohio State.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

KICK BAMA KICK posted:

2PT try will become mandatory at 2OT; at 3OT it's all just alternating 2PT tries

why do they keep loving with multiple ot games when they happen like twice a year and people almost universally love them

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

KICK BAMA KICK posted:

Seems like if they just made the 2 pt try mandatory from the beginning, the odds of a game going more than 3 OTs would be astronomically low. They're extremely low even under the current rules.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

D.N. Nation
Feb 1, 2012

Imagine watching 2018 LSU/A&M and not thinking it ruled.

yeah I know, player health. But dammit play football! Play football harder! Play football again, and harder!