Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022
its time to ask ourselves, what is an idol anime

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
i'm surprisingly digging the wistful moody boy plays shamisen show.

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Idol anime is good hates vacate

Anyway who''s looking forward to next horribly bad Crunchyroll original?!?!?!?

https://twitter.com/SeanRossSapp/status/1385342484537085952

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

Turns out I loved shamisen music and never knew it until now.

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

its op is the best one this season

Polsy
Mar 23, 2007

Strange Quark posted:

InspectorCarbonara
Jul 2, 2010

Evening, patrolmaaan.

Strange Quark posted:

The answer is Sekko Boys

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!

Strange Quark posted:

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...

all those awards and nominations for its manga have to mean something

Huzzah!
Sep 15, 2007

Malnutrition is scarier than any beastie.

SatoshiMiwa posted:

I might watch Attitude era wwe but an anime. Probably still a horrible idea.

If its The Marine but an anime, no deal.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

shamisen anime was better before they got to school

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Davincie posted:

shamisen anime was better before they got to school

I like his dynamic with the ponytail girl way better than with the presumptive love interest.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
most of what actually happens is either a cliche or intensely dumb. but it is all put together very well and set to rad shamisen music, so who cares?

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022
The rival shamisen guy is hot

sinky
Feb 22, 2011

Slippery Tilde
Time for more food anime

https://twitter.com/Anime/status/1385435271118954496?s=20

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

quote:

Restaurant to Another World anime season 2 confirmed with the returning cast

Oh sweet! :peanut:

quote:

and a new studio!

Oh noooo. :smith:.

Because that never ends well.

Space Flower
Sep 10, 2014

by Games Forum
don't worry buddy, Strike Witches has switched studios every season with pros and cons between them but never a true drop in quality

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

Got caught up with Vivy and man this is a good series so far. Kind of a cross between iRobot and Terminator I guess? Extremely glad this got recommended to me.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
i'm seeing stuff list the director of s2 of that isekai restaurant show as the same as s1 but i dunno how legit that is, but a new studio doesn't really necessarily mean a full replacement of staff

The Colonel fucked around with this message at 14:25 on Apr 23, 2021

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

"According to Wikipedia" there is a black hole that emits zionist hawking radiation where my brain should have been

I really should just shut the fuck up and stop posting forever
College Slice

Nitrousoxide posted:

Got caught up with Vivy and man this is a good series so far. Kind of a cross between iRobot and Terminator I guess? Extremely glad this got recommended to me.

I've been enjoying it immensely, I like how its fairly well focused.

What I suspect might happen though: The plot revolves around time travel to prevent the AI rebellion; the flaw with this though is the time travel happens at a particular point (when the AI rebellion happens); which of course reminds me; didn't Terminator avert Judgment Day repeatedly only to ultimately kick that can down the road? It still happens, just a few decades later, and later, but it always is doomed to happen. It seems to me that this plan is kinda an act of desperately and probably doomed to failure, because nothing guarantees a lasting accord between humans and AIs, so all they are managing to do is delay it and presumably make it some body else's problem but further in the future. Unless like Humans do the stellaris thing and merge with the AIs.

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

Raenir Salazar posted:

I've been enjoying it immensely, I like how its fairly well focused.

What I suspect might happen though: The plot revolves around time travel to prevent the AI rebellion; the flaw with this though is the time travel happens at a particular point (when the AI rebellion happens); which of course reminds me; didn't Terminator avert Judgment Day repeatedly only to ultimately kick that can down the road? It still happens, just a few decades later, and later, but it always is doomed to happen. It seems to me that this plan is kinda an act of desperately and probably doomed to failure, because nothing guarantees a lasting accord between humans and AIs, so all they are managing to do is delay it and presumably make it some body else's problem but further in the future. Unless like Humans do the stellaris thing and merge with the AIs.

The most recent episode made it an important point that Matsumoto, for all his bravado, actually does not have perfect knowledge of the future. He was just flat wrong about what happened on the space station. Moreover, the show made sure to specifically highlight the one terrorist dude that Vivy saved having almost a change of heart, and how the final impact was going to be radically different from Matsumoto's history. For all of his swagger it doesn't seem like Matsumoto has realized that changing history is actually changing history.

Put another way, the last couple of episodes call into question whether Matsumoto ACTUALLY knows why the AI rebellion started.

wielder
Feb 16, 2008

"You had best not do that, Avatar!"
Back Arrow 16: Believe it or not, actual main plot progression!

In other words: new wall-related stuff and more. Almost no action, sure, but I think it was necessary to step away from the battles for a moment. They actually did a good job bringing together a lot of disparate threads even from way back at the start of the series. I also dig seeing minor characters re-introduced after quite a while and having them interact. The overarching status quo is rapidly changing too, so things are looking up in more than one sense.

wielder fucked around with this message at 18:16 on Apr 23, 2021

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

"According to Wikipedia" there is a black hole that emits zionist hawking radiation where my brain should have been

I really should just shut the fuck up and stop posting forever
College Slice

Omnicrom posted:

The most recent episode made it an important point that Matsumoto, for all his bravado, actually does not have perfect knowledge of the future. He was just flat wrong about what happened on the space station. Moreover, the show made sure to specifically highlight the one terrorist dude that Vivy saved having almost a change of heart, and how the final impact was going to be radically different from Matsumoto's history. For all of his swagger it doesn't seem like Matsumoto has realized that changing history is actually changing history.

Put another way, the last couple of episodes call into question whether Matsumoto ACTUALLY knows why the AI rebellion started.

Yeah! It was pretty clear to me why events were unfolding differently was because of Vivy altering the timeline (saving brown haired dude) and that these stones in the pond will definitely result in something, resulting in Matsumoto's information being increasingly out of date as time goes on, resulting in Vivy needing to make more and more judgment calls to try to keep the mission on track. I don't think Matsumoto is wrong about the initial timeline being what caused things, but Matsumoto probably also doesn't really understand human motivations or why things unfold the way they do, and thus why he doesn't/won't know what to do when things go completely off the rails; he's just running a script while its Vivy who needs to understand the heart.

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Oh sweet! :peanut:

Oh noooo. :smith:.

Because that never ends well.

Everyone liked snafu better when it switched to feel. for s2 didn't they?

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Uma Musume swapped studios and I've seen universal praise for s2 over 1.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Strange Quark posted:

Everyone liked snafu better when it switched to feel. for s2 didn't they?

There's also Full Metal Panic going over to KyoAni for the second season and Fumoffu.

Studio change is something to keep an eye on, but it's not always a bad thing.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

So I'm dropping that Full Dive show. It's too dark for what is supposed to be a comedy and I don't like the girls, they're all just various flavors of yan-with-no-dere.

That said, I loved Uma Musume season 2 but I also loved season 1 so I'm hardly unbiased.

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost

Kwyndig posted:

So I'm dropping that Full Dive show. It's too dark for what is supposed to be a comedy and I don't like the girls, they're all just various flavors of yan-with-no-dere.

That said, I loved Uma Musume season 2 but I also loved season 1 so I'm hardly unbiased.

I'm giving it one more episode, now that we seem to be moving past the initial setup of the world. I'm just morbidly curious about what's going to drag the MC back into this actively-hateful game.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

Raenir Salazar posted:

Yeah! It was pretty clear to me why events were unfolding differently was because of Vivy altering the timeline (saving brown haired dude) and that these stones in the pond will definitely result in something, resulting in Matsumoto's information being increasingly out of date as time goes on, resulting in Vivy needing to make more and more judgment calls to try to keep the mission on track. I don't think Matsumoto is wrong about the initial timeline being what caused things, but Matsumoto probably also doesn't really understand human motivations or why things unfold the way they do, and thus why he doesn't/won't know what to do when things go completely off the rails; he's just running a script while its Vivy who needs to understand the heart.

Almost like her personal growth toward her ultimate goal is mirroring the overall worldwide plot!

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Nemo2342 posted:

I'm giving it one more episode, now that we seem to be moving past the initial setup of the world. I'm just morbidly curious about what's going to drag the MC back into this actively-hateful game.

See, I can't imagine anything that would be a satisfying answer to that issue for me so I'm done with the show.

Space Flower
Sep 10, 2014

by Games Forum
He’s 17 years old and it’s ep 1 where a shopkeeper with huge tits says she’ll hold his hand through the game, I can tell you why he logs in

Kaiser Mazoku
Mar 24, 2011

Didn't you see it!? Couldn't you see my "spirit"!?

Space Flower posted:

He’s 17 years old and it’s ep 1 where a shopkeeper with huge tits says she’ll hold his hand through the game, I can tell you why he logs in

so he can have a chance at getting his log in

Detheros
Apr 11, 2010

I want to die.

SatoshiMiwa posted:

Does Vince even know what Anime is, or that it exists?

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

Detheros posted:

What has that ever stopped Vince McMahon? "Something something money for you" "sold American".

Detheros
Apr 11, 2010

I want to die.

Omnicrom posted:

What has that ever stopped Vince McMahon? "Something something money for you" "sold American".

"Do whatever just don't make HHH look weak, pal!"

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Detheros posted:

Considering how many events they do there and how big WWEs fan base in Japan is, I would be surprised if he doesn’t even if it is just at the level of “those wacky Japanese cartoons.”

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
I was wondering why everyone Mashiro no Oto considers "finding their own sound" so important, but apparently Tsugaru shamisen competitions are primarily graded on the players' ability to create their own version of just one or two specific song (with different songs being separate events that different people compete in) since the official repertoire is very small.

(Also, those shamisen they're all using cost anywhere between 100k and 350k JPY. :stare:)

Lemon-Lime fucked around with this message at 15:35 on Apr 24, 2021

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Lemon-Lime posted:

I was wondering why everyone Mashiro no Oto considers "finding their own sound" so important, but apparently Tsugaru shamisen competitions are primarily graded on the players' ability to create their own version of just one or two specific song (with different songs being separate events that different people compete in) since the official repertoire is very small.

I would think the mentality is similar to that of Rakugo: traditionally there is only a set number of stories that is professionally recognized and performed: and it's about you finding your own voice as a performer, putting your own individual performance into the same stories that others have been telling for generations, giving it "your own voice". The constraints are intentional from a traditional perspective, as is sharing and refining the same material that has been practiced by your predecessors and colleagues for generations.

Maera Sior
Jan 5, 2012

Lemon-Lime posted:

(Also, those shamisen they're all using cost anywhere between 100k and 350k JPY. :stare:)
That seems entirely reasonable to me. Downright cheap, in fact.

Yes, I am a former string instrument player, why do you ask.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
That's honestly a universal thing for musicians. And that's how you can tell a great musician from a merely competent one: If they have found their own sound.