Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EvenWorseOpinions
Jun 10, 2017
Was on a cherry picker inside a food processing plant, directly over the heater bin which does exactly what it sounds like it does, when the lift decided to start stuttering and eventually stop responding to controls from in the bucket. Guys on the ground showed up and were kind of able to swing the bucket away from the heater bin, but couldn't lower us to the ground and we didn't have access to transfer to a different lift or set up a ladder, so the trainee and I got to spend an hour cooking in a 112 degree bucket waiting for the repair guy before we got approval to deviate from regular fall protection rules and just climb down across the various bins and structures.

I don't remember why it tripped, but it turns out there was a circuit breaker just inside one of the panels we could have kept hitting to slowly drop down

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
I guess a lot of sites treat it as a double failure and don't especially plan for it but what happens if your cherry picker stops responding and someone is hanging outside the basket in fall pro? I've always seen work at height permits require a rescue method for this which is generally a second cherry picker or a scissor lift or sometime as the least an elaborate ladder plan.

I guess that's when you finally call the fire department.

My Spirit Otter
Jun 15, 2006

CANADA DOESN'T GET PENS LIKE THIS

SKILCRAFT KREW Reppin' Quality Blind Made American Products. Bitch.
they all have manual release valves to prevent exactly this. this is just an untrained crew using poo poo they probably shouldn't be using, but thanks to capitalism their boss needed them there now, so training be damned.

EvenWorseOpinions
Jun 10, 2017

My Spirit Otter posted:

they all have manual release valves to prevent exactly this. this is just an untrained crew using poo poo they probably shouldn't be using, but thanks to capitalism their boss needed them there now, so training be damned.

Our safety guy's training on scissor lifts was 'it drives like a car'
That sounds like hyperbole, but it's not
He was forced to take some actual training himself and to develop a training curriculum to be approved by corporate safety dudes after someone accidentally dropped the rails down on one of our scissor lifts and had a subsequent panic attack while elevated because she no longer had any railings to hold onto

So, yes, exactly

aejix
Sep 18, 2007

It's about finding that next group of core players we can win with in the next 6, 8, 10 years. Let's face it, it's hard for 20-, 21-, 22-year-olds to lead an NHL team. Look at the playoffs.

That quote is from fucking 2018. Fuck you Jim
Pillbug

Shishkahuben posted:

Does anyone have that picture laying around of some warning signs on a (Australian?) construction site to the effect of,

"In case of emergency, call 911 and company support at XXX-XXXX. If things are ABSOLUTELY, COMPLETELY hosed, call Todd at XXX-XXXX"

tia

Phone posting and Imgur app is loving me around but do a search for "if there's a huge fuckup call Todd" and you should find it pretty easy. One of my all time fav signs

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

https://i.imgur.com/1PMnKQn.mp4

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Shishkahuben posted:

Does anyone have that picture laying around of some warning signs on a (Australian?) construction site to the effect of,

"In case of emergency, call 911 and company support at XXX-XXXX. If things are ABSOLUTELY, COMPLETELY hosed, call Todd at XXX-XXXX"

tia

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Uh-oh.

I just finished reading A Time to Die about Kursk: https://www.amazon.com/Time-Die-Untold-Story-Tragedy-ebook/dp/B000XUBE34/ref=sr_1_7?dchild=1&keywords=Time+to+die&qid=1619130522&sr=8-7

It's very good. I remember seeing news about it back then and having hope since apparently they were communicating by knocking on the hull. Unfortunately it was all BS. Kursk was at like 100m and they couldn't get anyone out, these guys are way more hosed unfortunately .

Shishkahuben
Mar 5, 2009

aejix posted:

Phone posting and Imgur app is loving me around but do a search for "if there's a huge fuckup call Todd" and you should find it pretty easy. One of my all time fav signs

cheers!

e:f;b

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

By popular demand posted:

How do you even dispose of large sheets of this stuff? Do you get a backhoe and dig a big hole?

You give it to a mate to roof his shed with.

ekuNNN
Nov 27, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
https://twitter.com/anews/status/1384503367305629696
(the mother is blind, which is why she doesnt just pull him up)

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

ekuNNN posted:

https://twitter.com/anews/status/1384503367305629696
(the mother is blind, which is why she doesnt just pull him up)

Yeah, that dude's a hero in more ways than one.

SpaceCadetBob
Dec 27, 2012

I'm not crying, you're crying.

Talkc
Aug 2, 2010

Mizuki! Mizuki! Mizuki!
***DEVASTATINGLY HANDSOME***
I'm not a mythbuster or a ATF Agent, but how much tannerite is too much for a gender reveal?

80lbs sounds like a bit much to announce that your fetus has a biological resemblance of a gender.

Apparently the story is in New Hampshire a bunch of Cis weirdos decided to recreate tunguska in order to announce their baby having gentials and the explosion was strong enough to crack foundations near the quarry they decided to do it in and could be heard in a neighboring new england state.

JFC, we are one step away from someone dropping "its a boy" on a foreign nation as a declaration of mutually assured destruction.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

EvenWorseOpinions posted:

Our safety guy's training on scissor lifts was 'it drives like a car'
That sounds like hyperbole, but it's not
He was forced to take some actual training himself and to develop a training curriculum to be approved by corporate safety dudes after someone accidentally dropped the rails down on one of our scissor lifts and had a subsequent panic attack while elevated because she no longer had any railings to hold onto

So, yes, exactly

This is exactly why our facility requires everyone in a scissor lift to tie off even though OSHA doesn't

Flaw: The tie off point is the guardrail

Atticus_1354
Dec 10, 2006

barkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbark

Talkc posted:

and the explosion was strong enough to crack foundations near the quarry they decided to do it in and could be heard in a neighboring new england state.

I have my doubts about the foundation cracking. I've popped off a big pile of tannerite and it demolished a chevy suburban but wasn't even close to demolishing a suburban home.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Elviscat posted:

Flooded batteries loving suck, the seawater starts electrolyzing into H2 and O2

and chlorine from the salt. don't forget about the chlorine :science:

Talkc
Aug 2, 2010

Mizuki! Mizuki! Mizuki!

Atticus_1354 posted:

I have my doubts about the foundation cracking. I've popped off a big pile of tannerite and it demolished a chevy suburban but wasn't even close to demolishing a suburban home.

*did you use 80lbs of it?*

Atticus_1354
Dec 10, 2006

barkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbark

Talkc posted:

*did you use 80lbs of it?*

45-50 lbs

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Sagebrush posted:

Submarines, like helicopters and lathes, constantly hunger for human blood.

Talkc
Aug 2, 2010

Mizuki! Mizuki! Mizuki!

If you don't mind me asking, what was the Suburban's Gender?

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

Talkc posted:

JFC, we are one step away from someone dropping "its a boy" on a foreign nation as a declaration of mutually assured destruction.

why do you think little boy was named like that

C.M. Kruger
Oct 28, 2013

Atticus_1354 posted:

Yeah the "foundation cracking" is bullshit unless the stuff is being set off directly next to the foundation. Just people trying to do insurance fraud for cracking caused by ice or natural settling.

It's like how whenever the Air Force does flybys for events/airshows/whatever (or if a airliner calls a hijack alert because a passenger got drunk and is trying to get into the cockpit) they get a bunch of people claiming the noise "broke their windows", even though they don't do supersonic flights for those, and supersonic flights won't break windows unless the aircraft is extremely low.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GvtAElaDVz8

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

Darkrai used Dream Eater!
It's super effective!

Talkc posted:

I'm not a mythbuster or a ATF Agent, but how much tannerite is too much for a gender reveal?

Any. Any tannerite is too much.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

https://i.imgur.com/QCWZSjS.gifv

TasogareNoKagi
Jul 11, 2013

Fred Dibnah has been replaced with a machine.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

https://twitter.com/Magsalicious/status/1385248613283110912

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

I could have done that job with 80 lbs of tannerite.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Cthulu Carl posted:

This is so when it fails they can say "Well it isn't called ASRV Remori, so what did you expect?"

I noted earlier that this would be the first time the Australian navy had tried to stop Indonesians from drowning.

Megillah Gorilla fucked around with this message at 04:42 on Apr 23, 2021

mom and dad fight a lot
Sep 21, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 17 days!

Space Kablooey posted:

lol

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

Sagebrush posted:

The chlorine gas is a little academic since a major fire takes about 2 minutes to fill a submarine with enough smoke to make breathing impossible without an air supplied respirator, which is why submarines drill to have everyone onboard in breathing protection in under a minute.

The Bonefish's captain saved a sailor by putting his emergency breathing device on the unconscious sailor then fighting his way through smoke to the escape hatch, by feel, since it was impossible to see anything.

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

Elviscat posted:

The chlorine gas is a little academic since a major fire takes about 2 minutes to fill a submarine with enough smoke to make breathing impossible without an air supplied respirator
oh, well that's a relief

Whooping Crabs
Apr 13, 2010

Sorry for the derail but I fuckin love me some racoons
https://youtu.be/AfJ7LQn8kp8

Murray Mantoinette
Jun 11, 2005

THE  POSTS  MUST  FLOW
Clapping Larry

Talkc posted:

It's a Little Bo--

Space Kablooey posted:

... dammit

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

So what was Czar Bomba about?

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

I'm very annoyed that he appears to be feeding the lumber in from the wrong direction most of the time.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

That was actually Les Stroud entering the world

Frank Caskelot
Jan 31, 2009

Gender reveal: :itwaspoo:

Vindolanda
Feb 13, 2012

It's just like him too, y'know?

It’s a Little Father

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

uvar
Jul 25, 2011

Avoid breathing
radioactive dust.
College Slice
This is beside the point, but how much would 80lb of tannerite cost?