Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
I suppose this is blasphemous but I've always been a Harryhausen guy so personally I prefer Mighty Joe Young to even the OG King Kong. Harryhausen's animation makes Joe into much more of an actual character, and the big finale at the orphanage is an amazing scene.

I guess it's not totally fair to compare the two though because Harryhausen had the benefit of about 15 years of special effects advancements. 15 years is a long time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Speaking of which - this little promotional picture came up on Facebook the other day. Love seeing crisp photos like this!

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

I SAID WE'RE NOT GONNA BE FUCKING SUCK THIS YEAR!!!

Big Man Japan is truly a special film.

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late

Burkion posted:

The Blob looks fantastic as a Blob in the 50s film- I also found the way it worked more disturbing than the 80s version. The 80s version dissolved you with acid, but the original CONVERTED you. You didn't dissolve, you simply became more mass for it.

I haven't seen either but given the 50s, is the Blob supposed to be a communism metaphor? Feels very 'oh no the evil mass taking away your individuality!' anxiety.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Shiroc posted:

I haven't seen either but given the 50s, is the Blob supposed to be a communism metaphor? Feels very 'oh no the evil mass taking away your individuality!' anxiety.

I mean, you could read it as that, but that was definitely not the intention. The film was made by a commune of Christian filmmakers (and one producer who just wanted to make a cool monster movie) who wanted to create a film brimming with compassion for the youth of the day. The director's previous film was a scare-tactic juvenile delinquent film (that was taken away from him and had a bunch of exploitative sleaze put into it), and he wanted to create a film that sympathized with "good kids" of the day and modeled positive behavior while also recognizing that teens will be teens and we should cut them a break.

Violator
May 15, 2003

One thing I like about the 50’s Blob was that the bully teens are kind of jerks but are actually not bad and quickly jump in to help. Not every movie needs evil human characters. It’s also why I like most disaster movies, people working together against a common problem or foe.

Hexmage-SA
Jun 28, 2012
DM
Though the art book isn't coming out for a while, various bits of Godzilla vs Kong concept art are being released on the Internet:

Apparently at some point in planning the natives of Skull Island were going to be evacuated by Monarch, but that was axed. The scene with the hellhawks was going to feature a giant parent hellhawk attacking a H.E.A.V. There's also art of Zhang Ziyi's characters and two children looking on at Mothra in a cocoon.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

https://twitter.com/KaijuNewsOutlet/status/1383247827501940740?s=20

gatorzilla

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
I do not like King Ghidorah having hands.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
Skinny Ghidorah and Turn of the Century Strongman Godzilla

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Shiroc posted:

I do not like King Ghidorah having hands.

Same, Broadzilla seems pretty good though.

Mr. Funny Pants
Apr 9, 2001

It's been mentioned that with the success of GvK it wouldn't be surprising to see other studios scrambling to throw out a kaiju movie. Paramount has their own streaming service and they own Cloverfield. The two not-sequels could be easily ignored when writing a follow-up. Story-wise they've got a wide open field (ha) to play on. Matt Reeves has put together a pretty drat good resume post-Cloverfield if he was interested.

I don't recall, what's the general opinion of it here? Great? Horrible? Somewhere in between? I have it in the top half of the kaiju movies released in the last dozen or so years, but I'm also a slut for found-footage movies.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

It's pretty good even though found footage as a subgenre is beyond tired. You get a solid idea of what little sense such a thing would make to people on the ground level. The romance subplot is maudlin, but at 85 minutes it doesn't really waste time.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

You don't even need to retcon the non-sequels seeing as they're all about alternate universes.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

Mr. Funny Pants posted:

It's been mentioned that with the success of GvK it wouldn't be surprising to see other studios scrambling to throw out a kaiju movie. Paramount has their own streaming service and they own Cloverfield. The two not-sequels could be easily ignored when writing a follow-up. Story-wise they've got a wide open field (ha) to play on. Matt Reeves has put together a pretty drat good resume post-Cloverfield if he was interested.

I don't recall, what's the general opinion of it here? Great? Horrible? Somewhere in between? I have it in the top half of the kaiju movies released in the last dozen or so years, but I'm also a slut for found-footage movies.

I absolutely loved Cloverfield and still do. My favorite part is it's very romantic to rescue your girlfriend during a Kaiju attack, but it's also very stupid. All but one of them die.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Cloverfield was great and i never understood why they never made a sequel but attached the name to a couple unrelated movies like they could just conjure up a cinematic universe out of thin air or something

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

site posted:

Cloverfield was great and i never understood why they never made a sequel but attached the name to a couple unrelated movies like they could just conjure up a cinematic universe out of thin air or something

10 Cloverfield Lane I thought was good and I think the idea of tying various films to the same "universe" was cool but man that third one was just... not good at all

Also,

https://twitter.com/GodzillaMovies/status/1385362410354135043?s=20

Mr. Funny Pants
Apr 9, 2001

site posted:

If I recall, Cloverfield had a huge opening due in no small part to the clever marketing but word of mouth was not good and its box office plummeted after that great start. I do think that if they came up with a good story that got the monster involved more it could do well.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
My main memory of Cloverfield is how very Not Into the monster design people were.

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Scroll, then. There are other posts than these.

I thought everyone was just upset you don't get to see it. Folks were excited from what I remember, because they kept hammering the fact that this was a baby monster.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Neurolimal posted:

My main memory of Cloverfield is how very Not Into the monster design people were.

The fake whale concept art was so badass and cool I wanted it to be real

HannibalBarca
Sep 11, 2016

History shows, again and again, how nature points out the folly of man.

Mr. Funny Pants posted:

If I recall, Cloverfield had a huge opening due in no small part to the clever marketing but word of mouth was not good and its box office plummeted after that great start. I do think that if they came up with a good story that got the monster involved more it could do well.

The fact that this seemed to happen to a solid majority of monster movies in the past 20 or so years makes me wonder if there's a built-in weakness for the genre when it comes to modern audiences.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

HannibalBarca posted:

The fact that this seemed to happen to a solid majority of monster movies in the past 20 or so years makes me wonder if there's a built-in weakness for the genre when it comes to modern audiences.

I feel like there's this modern assumption that all the best kaiju movies are back-to-back monster fights/wrecking cities, so when audiences watch these films they get confused by all the human scenes & sense-of-scale shots.

Then again, Godzilla 2014 grossed 500 million, King of the Monsters almost grossed 400 million, Skull Island hit 500 million, and GvK is doing great as far as COVID BO's go, last I checked.

Mr. Funny Pants
Apr 9, 2001

Neurolimal posted:

It's physiology made not a bit of sense but it sure as hell was distinctive.

bushisms.txt posted:

I thought everyone was just upset you don't get to see it.

Neurolimal posted:

I feel like there's this modern assumption that all the best kaiju movies are back-to-back monster fights/wrecking cities, so when audiences watch these films they get confused by all the human scenes & sense-of-scale shots.

I agree that audiences were unreasonable about Godzilla 2014's screen time but I have to admit, we literally get only one or two quick glances at Clover in total, which makes sense given the format but is going to piss people off. If you did a sequel, there's lots of different ways you could stick with the mocumentary or found footage formats and ensure lots more monster action without it being gratuitous.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

I'm ok with just catching a few glimpses of Cloverfield, what pissed me off at the time is that the entire marketing campaign was about the mystery of Cloverfield and what it is and what it has to do with a mysterious japanese soft drink brand and the movie doesn't offer a single iota of explanation for any of the events happening... which I would've been fine with if I knew that's what it was going to be going in, just a movie about people reacting to unexplained kaiju events on the ground, without cutting away to the scientists who explain everything. But because of that marketing campaign and because the movie ends on a completely pointless sequel tease I felt like I'd been hoodwinked. "Watch Cloverfields 2 through 17 to eventually get answers!"

Like we never even find out why the movie's called Cloverfield.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
I like Cloverfield for what it is, but I’m also a dumb found footage fan so ymmv. I do remember the found footage aspect of the movie being a big negative for a lot of people when it released, down to theaters warning people beforehand that it may cause motion sickness.

Which is what happened to the buddy I saw it with, funny enough. I think he spent most of the movie trying not to puke.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Lurdiak posted:

I'm ok with just catching a few glimpses of Cloverfield, what pissed me off at the time is that the entire marketing campaign was about the mystery of Cloverfield and what it is and what it has to do with a mysterious japanese soft drink brand and the movie doesn't offer a single iota of explanation for any of the events happening... which I would've been fine with if I knew that's what it was going to be going in, just a movie about people reacting to unexplained kaiju events on the ground, without cutting away to the scientists who explain everything. But because of that marketing campaign and because the movie ends on a completely pointless sequel tease I felt like I'd been hoodwinked. "Watch Cloverfields 2 through 17 to eventually get answers!"

Like we never even find out why the movie's called Cloverfield.

"Cloverfield" is the DoD codename for the monster, just as the military operation later in the film is referred to as Hammer Down. The monster fell from space and crash-landed in the Atlantic ocean, off the coast of the US. The Cloverfield 'EU' ignores this latter point and provides multiple conflicting backstories that are all stupid.

SuperMechagodzilla fucked around with this message at 03:47 on Apr 23, 2021

Mr. Funny Pants
Apr 9, 2001

Big Mean Jerk posted:

I do remember the found footage aspect of the movie being a big negative for a lot of people when it released, down to theaters warning people beforehand that it may cause motion sickness.

Funny thing about that, the actors did the actual camera work and got so good at it the shakiness you see in the movie was added in post production. They were afraid the audience wouldn't believe that amateurs could shoot footage that smooth.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
I actually thought the final scene was just supposed to be a little aha moment and not so much a sequel hook. Like, the reason it opens with the super top secret classified warning wasn't any of the footage of the actual event they filmed, they probably have that from thousands of people, it was what ended up being caught by accident on the very last second still saved on the memory card

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
I liked Cloverfield a lot the one time I watched it. At some point on here, a person described it as being like the first few minutes after 9/11 in Manhattan but with a monster. Nobody really understands what's happening other than something terrible is going on, you don't know if it will get worse, the government can't handle anything, you're worried about your loved ones. Not really ever showing the monster clearly and mostly at the very end plays into that.

Its a unique artifact.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Big Mean Jerk posted:

I like Cloverfield for what it is, but I’m also a dumb found footage fan so ymmv. I do remember the found footage aspect of the movie being a big negative for a lot of people when it released, down to theaters warning people beforehand that it may cause motion sickness.

Which is what happened to the buddy I saw it with, funny enough. I think he spent most of the movie trying not to puke.

Yeah I think I saw it at IMAX and started getting headspins a few times

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

is the third cloverfield film any good?

Sio
Jan 20, 2007

better red than dead

well why not posted:

Unfortunately, no, not at all. There are some cool concepts in play but the film never hits with anything it tries.

Karloff
Mar 21, 2013

I really like Cloverfield. It has a strong sense of menace and though it strains against the conceit a couple of times it all said hangs together really well.

I think Matt Reeves is one of the most underrated directors working today. Not that anyone seems to dislike him, but he don't get talked up as much as he should. His Apes films are maybe the best blockbusters of the last decade.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

well why not posted:

I remember it being a cheap event horizon knockoff

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Honestly I forgot that there was a third Cloverfield movie and had to look it up to remember that I even watched it.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Oh yeah! That movie. :lol:

Just another random script with Cloverfield added and some nod at the end to kaiju.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Both of the Cloverfield "sequels" became Cloverfield movies midway through production and you can really, really tell. Outside of Paramount finding a way to market low-budget movies, they literally have nothing to do with each other.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
10 Cloverfield would've been a better movie with a straighter ending, but not by much.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bootleg Trunks
Jun 12, 2020

I didn't even see the splash at the end of the first movie until I found out about it later and had to see it in a slowed down YouTube video.

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

The fake whale concept art was so badass and cool I wanted it to be real

I remember this more than most of the movie.