Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Isentropy posted:

Sam Vecenie of the Athletic is pretty high on him.

He has him at #11 but #6 doesn't sound too bad for a guy who can maybe play NBA defense on day one and who'll take full advantage of a real NBA team's training program

He's like 6'2"; he's very good on defense but there's really only so much impact he can have on that end. He went from consensus second rounder to lottery in like two games as a 22 year old (23 before next season starts) who had never averaged double digits or shot well from three until this season, and even this year he was still shooting in the 60s from the foul line which makes it hard to trust the outside shot. It's very stupid. He was not even the best guard on Baylor for most of the last two years

e: the people I know who are lowest on him have all talked him up as an interesting late first/early second rounder for two years now, the people who are highest on him didn't talk about him at all until the final four. Simmons and Russillo probably didn't know who he was until a month ago.

MourningView fucked around with this message at 14:13 on Apr 19, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

Katana_Warrior posted:

bill simmons is adamant that Davion Mitchell should go 6th on his pod today, and while i can't tell if ryan russillo is posturing or being a yesman, but ryan russillo agrees and says that his sources back it up

“bill, do you actually think davion mitchell should go top 6 or did you just see two ncaa tournament games and think he’s kemba walker”

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
the fact that he's built like donovan mitchell physically and has a similar name is definitely giving him a boost

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

i think davion mitchell is fine (mid first, maybe creeping into the late lotto) with the caveats that pg defense is not super important so his best skill isn’t that impressive and if his shooting falls off then he’s basically a shorter frank ntilikina

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

you literally think a person saying their NBA team of choice being better than the fucking 76ers is a 'schtick'

a literal thing you think.

https://twitter.com/JalenSuggs2020/status/1384220344962097165?s=19

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

Paying tons of money for .gifs will never stop being extremely dumb to me.

(I don't blame the players at all, I'd cash out too)

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
Luka Garza was the first college player to do one I think and he got a little over $41,000 out of someone for it, though his included meeting the weirdo who bought it for like dinner and a game of one on one

Hoop Dreams
Oct 21, 2010
Can college athletes sell NFTs and keep their NCAA eligibility now?

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Hoop Dreams posted:

Considering everyone we're seeing do it is also declaring for the draft in the same tweet I'm going to assume not

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Hoop Dreams posted:

No

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

Katana_Warrior posted:

bill simmons is adamant that Davion Mitchell should go 6th on his pod today, and while i can't tell if ryan russillo is posturing or being a yesman, but ryan russillo agrees and says that his sources back it up

Bill simmons doesnt even watch NBA basketball, you think he's out there scouting college dudes?

Katana_Warrior
Dec 25, 2009

Paul Zuvella posted:

Bill simmons doesnt even watch NBA basketball, you think he's out there scouting college dudes?

i absolutely don't, but i love how earnestly he believes his takes.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
Lots of people were dumb about LaMelo last year but Russillo was comfortably the dumbest that I saw.

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

After all, I was nice in ball,
Came to practice weed scented
Report card like the speed limit

:homebrew::homebrew::homebrew:

I might be a Jalen Green should go #1 guy

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

straight up brolic posted:

I might be a Jalen Green should go #1 guy

lmao dude this is extremely outsmarting yourself

MourningView fucked around with this message at 02:18 on Apr 22, 2021

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

MourningView posted:

lmao dude this is extremely outsmarting yourself
He already shot 37% from 3 from the NBA line!

He had a 61% TS against G League players!

I’m a big Cade guy, but he had a decent amount of trouble this season and couldn’t create good shots for himself in college, while Green was great against higher level competition. There’s little risk of him being bad for a rookie in year 1. I feel like Cade has a way higher ceiling, but Green is more sure to be a good player at this point.

If anything it’s a testament to going to G League vs. college.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
Cade was getting defended like 1987 michael jordan and still had an insanely good shooting season, he is never going to be regularly triple teamed like that again in his entire life. He's also worlds better on defense and looked like one of the best passers his size on earth before this year when he was stuck on a bad team where guys were biffing potential assists left and right and he eventually had to just put his head down and try to score for them to be any good, which is super antithetical to how he had always played before. Green really doesn't do anything aside from score

And just in general it's notable that they weren't really in the same universe as prospects (no matter what the bad high school rankings said) before this season so it's putting a lot of weight on like 6 admittedly very good g-league games.

MourningView fucked around with this message at 04:48 on Apr 22, 2021

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop
I can't make any sort of good or bad argument, but I'd say in general what I like about Jalen Green is that he sees where he needs to go and somehow his body just appears there, if you watch in slow motion he takes a very funny scarecrow with arms flapping in the wind route, but he's there first and easy

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
This is a big test for me, do I waver on my belief that passing is actually bad if you are above a role player in skill, but not as big as Magic or LeBron or do I accept that things are changing and that every team is going to have small to medium sized assist hunter in 5 years?

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Rick posted:

This is a big test for me, do I waver on my belief that passing is actually bad if you are above a role player in skill, but not as big as Magic or LeBron or do I accept that things are changing and that every team is going to have small to medium sized assist hunter in 5 years?

cade is 6'7" but also this is a completely deranged nonsense take

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

Rick posted:

What?

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

MourningView posted:

cade is 6'7" but also this is a completely deranged nonsense take

Sorry but you have to be at least 6'8" for passing not to be stupid. I don't make the rules. Or apparently very well-formed jokes today.

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

Knights of Cade assemble

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

Cade is 6’7 but plays 6’2 lol

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
he defends multiple positions well, was top 10 in his conference for rebounds, and drew a ton of fouls by muscling through guys, seems like big strong guy stuff to me

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

In all seriousness RE: Cade, he came into the year with a generational tag and did basically nothing in college to live up to it. The player that he reminds me most trajectory-wise is Ben Simmons, where he still has scarce NBA skills that will probably make him a top 20 player regardless, but there are clear cracks in his game that weren’t obvious in prohibitive 1.1 guys like Luka, Zion, Durant etc... both from the eye test and a statistical profile perspective.

Him not being able to score efficiently in college vs. other lottery picks is pretty concerning, and when I watched him live he was addicted to mid range and step back 3s. There doesn’t seem to be a ton of untapped athleticism there. Maybe he expands out into a taller Harden-type, but he really struggled to get to the rim and score in half court.

I still think he should be in the mix for 1.1 and he’s probably going to be the pick, but I view the top 4 guys as pretty interchangeable in terms of skill for their position (Suggs, Green, and Mobley) and Cade’s ability and positional scarcity is probably what’s going to drag him to 1.1

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
He...did score efficiently though? Especially for his usage.

I agree he's not the most explosive athlete but it's like Luka or Harden where he gets where he wants to most of the time anyway, when he needed to he could generally just put his head down and get to the line because he's super strong, you don't finish top 20 in the country in free throws if you can't get to the basket. Especially with the kind of shot making he showed this year, which is a skill that has been on a huge upward trajectory for him the last two years. And like I said, he's never going to be defended the way he was this year ever again because you can't get away with Jordan rules poo poo in the modern NBA where even bad teams have too much shooting. Defenses were not scared of anyone else on that team there were like four guys collapsing on him every time he drove.

I genuinely have no idea what you are watching if you think he plays small, I get the quickness complaint but he's clearly extremely loving strong for his age

MourningView fucked around with this message at 18:05 on Apr 22, 2021

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

MourningView posted:

He...did score efficiently though? Especially for his usage.

I genuinely have no idea what you are watching if you think he plays small, I get the quickness complaint but he's clearly extremely loving strong for his age
Just quoting the stuff I’m following up on because I basically agree with the rest of it, he’s not bad! 57% TS is mediocre for a lottery pick in college, it’s good in the broader context of college basketball, but not a +.

And re: playing tall, he wasn’t athletically or vertically dominant at the rim, nor was he a particularly crafty finisher, and because of this he could be effectively dissuaded by bigger defenders in ways that most guys with his frame aren’t. You can coax him into taking bad shots.

I agree that he’s strong.

Most of my quibbles with him are vs. the other guys. I don’t think he’ll be bad, he’ll be quite good, but there’s issues here.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

#1 Pelican Fan
:'(

https://twitter.com/LegionHoops/status/1385401077646860292?s=20

Katana_Warrior
Dec 25, 2009

gently caress, I saw people tweeting about it but hadn't seen an actual news report yet. lovely tragic situation.

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

Man that's really awful to hear...horrible for this family. He was going to be drafted too - late first probably.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
https://twitter.com/DraftExpress/status/1385753581983305730?s=19

this is probably the right move because he didn't seem to have any traction this year in the mainstream but I would have taken him lottery. Really good shooter and a n explosive athlete, just a ready made 3 and D guy who can play either forward spot with upside to develop into something more with his shotmaking ability.

MourningView fucked around with this message at 01:43 on Apr 24, 2021

Rick
Feb 23, 2004

MourningView posted:

https://twitter.com/DraftExpress/status/1385753581983305730?s=19

this is probably the right move because he didn't seem to have any traction this year in the mainstream but I would have taken him lottery. Really good shooter and a n explosive athlete, just a ready made 3 and D guy who can play either forward spot with upside to develop into something more with his shotmaking ability.

Yeah I really liked him too but he kind of appeared out of the ether and so few people saw Arizona play this year that I don't think people noticed him much.

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

you literally think a person saying their NBA team of choice being better than the fucking 76ers is a 'schtick'

We've got a new dunk prop.
https://twitter.com/ShamsCharania/status/1385963146293153793?s=19

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

zeng’s more of a tweener rather than a traditional stiff

he’s got a good handle and shoots well but he’s not much more than a blip on the nba radar at this point

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
He's probably further along than kai sotto who was on the team this year. They also got Michael Foster who is kinda comparable to Isaiah Todd in that he's not as good an NBA prospect as his high school ranking suggests but should still get drafted somewhere. No one on the level of Green or Kuminga yet but it seems like Jaden Hardy is going to go that route and he should go top 10ish.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

MourningView posted:

https://twitter.com/DraftDummies/status/1380624222465130496?s=19

giddey quickly becoming my dude in this draft although I think he might wind up top 10 for just about everyone fairly soon. Cazy handle and passing for his size and the shot is coming along. Also regularly getting double digit rebounds despite weighing like 180 pounds and playing in a professional league where tackling is legal

https://twitter.com/Mike_Schmitz/status/1388493031855124484?s=19

ready to get hurt by being way too high on Australian Magic

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

https://twitter.com/BleacherReport/status/1388240291367247872?s=19

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

G-league or is this some Byzantine ncaa politics and he’s going to a different school?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

DeimosRising posted:

G-league or is this some Byzantine ncaa politics and he’s going to a different school?

Almost certainly G-league or somewhere overseas. It was obvious when he committed that he had no intention to play college basketball, even his announcement was like "well we'll see what happens but I'm doing this now I guess." It kinda felt like he was only doing it because he was annoyed no one was bothering to recruit him because no one believed he was going to play college.

MourningView fucked around with this message at 16:00 on May 1, 2021