Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

Hand Knit posted:

I really like the original Law and Order format, but I don't know if the show could be brought back, just on a cultural level. By that I mean partially that in terms of political culture you can't just bring back a 'good cops' show so easily.

Blue Bloods is successful and that show is so much worse about that than L&O ever was./

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret

MJeff posted:

I'm invested enough in OC's story so far, but, yes, I want the original Law and Order back too. I honestly wouldn't even just mind if they brought back the entire cast of season 20 and just picked up from there. Lupo-Bernard-Rubirosa-Cutter was one of my favorite combos in the entire show and Van Buren and McCoy as the respective authority figures worked super well.

Agreed, although S. Epatha Merkerson was planning to leave the show after season 20 anyway, so Van Buren wasn’t gonna be back.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
That makes sense since the finale and really the entire season was definitely built to say goodbye to her. That it wound up hastily becoming the emotional climax of the entire show and still worked as well as it did says a lot about how much Van Buren ruled.

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Beer Loses more than a game Sunday ...
We lost our Captain, our Teammate, our Friend Kelly Calabro...
Rest in Peace my friend you will be greatly missed..

MJeff posted:

Blue Bloods is successful and that show is so much worse about that than L&O ever was./

I only know that from the advertisements but from a distance it seems like a drama about a cop family more than a detective show.

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

MJeff posted:

See also Chicago PD.

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

I SAID WE'RE NOT GONNA BE FUCKING SUCK THIS YEAR!!!

If Brooklyn 99 can exist, OG Law and Order can exist in some fashion to tell the stories of good detective and prosecutorial efforts. They've had the disclaimer in one of the sets of credits since forever that it's not real.

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

This episode seems very topical so far.

MorrisBae
Jan 18, 2020

by Athanatos

Hand Knit posted:

This episode seems very topical so far.

I was just going to say, lol

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

MorrisBae posted:

I was just going to say, lol

Benson is gonna use the power of empathy to defeat all the bad vibes of the coronavirus.

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret
I know SVU has been on for 22 years, but isn't this like the 35th time Benson has walked into a hostage situation?

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

fartknocker posted:

I know SVU has been on for 22 years, but isn't this like the 35th time Benson has walked into a hostage situation?

I think they have an annual quota to meet.

The one that always sticks in my mind is when she's held hostage by some home invaders who want revenge on a grocery store owner for firing one of them. Bizarre poo poo.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
lol this guy's kinda a dick.

MorrisBae
Jan 18, 2020

by Athanatos
If she gets shot, we need to make a “what would have happened IRL” 10-second director’s cut that shows the opening credits, her getting shot by cops, and the end credits

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Wedge Regret
Much like crazy restaurant lady, I'm also wondering why nobody seems to be wearing their mask in the SVUniverse.

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

'maybe the afterlife is like facetime' is this week's SVU moment of insight

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
lol dude why is everybody connected to Rollins such a loving caricature.

MorrisBae
Jan 18, 2020

by Athanatos

fartknocker posted:

Much like crazy restaurant lady, I'm also wondering why nobody seems to be wearing their mask in the SVUniverse.

All I can think of is this was filmed 6 months ago and they assumed things would be better by now

lol

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
....wait, Benson's brother ODed?

I knew Tucker was dead. :rip: So weird how he went from the biggest rear end in a top hat in the show to Benson's bae.

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

There's like 5 minutes of this left.

MorrisBae
Jan 18, 2020

by Athanatos

Hand Knit posted:

There's like 5 minutes of this left.

I’ll call Son walks in, mom drops gun, cops with gun cannon outside snipe her in the head

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

MorrisBae posted:

I’ll call Son walks in, mom drops gun, cops with gun cannon outside snipe her in the head

You're two for two so far!

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Wedge Regret
Rofl the literal “and everybody cheered” ending

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

fartknocker posted:

God I love them shoving that "btw there's a gofundme, you'll be fine" in there, like, you can't even cut to two days later for that?

YOOOOO WE GOT A STUPID CROSSOVER

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

fartknocker posted:

There's so much empathy. Empathy is so powerful.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
drat Kathleen got owned.

Didn't she have like, one single little scar on her eyebrow?

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Is there a significance to the shoes?

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Wedge Regret

Hand Knit posted:

Is there a significance to the shoes?

His son has the same pair, they showed them in the recap at the beginning of the episode.

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

fartknocker posted:

His son has the same pair, they showed them in the recap at the beginning of the episode.

I thought so but couldn't remember.

Also, I figure there's no way Gina survives this episode.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

Hand Knit posted:

I thought so but couldn't remember.

Also, I figure there's no way Gina survives this episode.

Noooo, she's toast.

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

MJeff posted:

Noooo, she's toast.

This guy's hosed too.

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Wedge Regret
Yeah, Gina’s gone the way this is looking.

Also lol Stabler punching a hole in the wall.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

fartknocker posted:

It was seriously like the final shot of The Fugitive. Holy ell oh ell.

And here's your reminder that SVU has been renewed for seasons 22 and 23, so the show isn't going anywhere until 2023 at the soonest (same with all three Chicago shows). Oof.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
Hey, Carisi!

Hand Knit posted:

This guy's hosed too.

Super dead.

Haven't they already done this exact plot in L&O multiple times before? I know Jack did a phony arraignment once and another time, somebody had a mob lawyer and they did this fake trial thing.

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Wedge Regret
The actress who played that judge I’m pretty sure has been on every single L&O show since season 1 of the original series.

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

More Benson empathy.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
You know you wanna jump through the window, Stabler. Do it.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

MJeff posted:

Hey, Carisi!

Super dead.

Haven't they already done this exact plot in L&O multiple times before? I know Jack did a phony arraignment once and another time, somebody had a mob lawyer and they did this fake trial thing.

Shadow, in Vanilla season 8, has McCoy setting up a sham prosecution in order to trap an ADA who was on the take. I don't know if SVU has done that specific plot, per se, but I do recall they have done storylines about the prosecution colluding with defense attorneys for a particular outcome, I'm just having trouble remembering specific episodes.

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

He finally said it. But then unsaid it, sort of.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

Timby posted:

Shadow, in Vanilla season 8, has McCoy setting up a sham prosecution in order to trap an ADA who was on the take. I don't know if SVU has done that specific plot, per se, but I do recall they have done storylines about the prosecution colluding with defense attorneys for a particular outcome, I'm just having trouble remembering specific episodes.

Jack also did a sham arraignment to try and get a plea bargain out of a guy connected to Borgia's death much later on.

I don't remember if it was SVU or vanilla the other time they did it as part of a mob storyline, but I remember because the mob defense attorney cause he was that big, fat John Goodman lookin' dude that they only trot out when they need a really, REALLY contemptible defense attorney.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
Ha, Gina planted the bug. She's so dead.