Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.
It’s not clear if they vibranium can beat adamantium, I think it’s up to the comic. I don’t think there any panels of wolverine piercing the shield with his claws?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Golden Bee posted:

It’s not clear if they vibranium can beat adamantium, I think it’s up to the comic. I don’t think there any panels of wolverine piercing the shield with his claws?

In the comics, Cap's shield is its own unique alloy that uses Vibranium that is stronger than either and Adamantium is a (relatively) unsuccessful attempt to recreate it.

I think it goes Vibranium<Adamantium<Captainium.

MH Knights
Aug 4, 2007

Wait, the MCU couldn't use adamantium because it was associated with the X-Men? I thought adamantium was a generic fantasy metal that RPGs have been using for decades like mithril/mythril?

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

MH Knights posted:

Wait, the MCU couldn't use adamantium because it was associated with the X-Men? I thought adamantium was a generic fantasy metal that RPGs have been using for decades like mithril/mythril?

I think it was more of trying to avoid any conflicts. But yeah, adamantium is fairly standard in fantasy stuff.

edit: \/ Oh poo poo, you're right. adamantium != adamantine. \/

Floppychop fucked around with this message at 19:56 on Apr 22, 2021

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Adamantium

According to Wikipedia, it was created for Avengers #66, so I think it's a Marvel specific thing. Adamantine appears to have been used in other fantasy stories, but Adamantium is Marvel.

Lunatic Sledge
Jun 8, 2013

choose your own horror isekai sci-fi Souls-like urban fantasy gamer simulator adventure

or don't?
Adamantine is what they use in D&D

e since we're dropping wiki links https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Adamant

basically instead of just using mythril Marvel invented their own legally distinct* Mythrillium

*probably, I'm not gonna be the one to test it

Lunatic Sledge fucked around with this message at 19:31 on Apr 22, 2021

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
According to Comic Book Nerds I am talking to online, Cap’s shield is a Vibranium/Adamantium Alloy, meaning it IS stronger than either metal, and canonically Wolverine has not ever cut through Cap’s shield, but he did slice it up pretty bad.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
Black Panther scratched the shield too, making sparks and leaving marks

https://twitter.com/marvelshots__/status/1261144800021098499

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
unclear if that's just enamel damage tho

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

thrawn527 posted:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Adamantium

According to Wikipedia, it was created for Avengers #66, so I think it's a Marvel specific thing. Adamantine appears to have been used in other fantasy stories, but Adamantium is Marvel.

The really stupid thing is that in the comics Hercules' mace is made out of adamantine, a Godly metal of Olympus that is probably their equivalent of Uru metal. So Marvel comics have both adamantium and adamantine. Google also tells me that the Thor of the 26th Century, Dargo Ktor, has a metal alloy named after him called dargonite, that is capable of puncturing adamantium. Strangely, it doesn't seem like he uses any weapons forged of it but that the only occurrence of I can find mention of is a sniper bullet fired by the Punisher of that time that pierces the adamantium suit of a Major Vance Astro. A character who has used Captain America' shield himself; though I've no idea if he was using that at the time too. So it seems like Dargo Ktor is a metallurgist or something in his human persona, to say there's a material named after him? No idea.

The United States posted:

Black Panther scratched the shield too, making sparks and leaving marks

https://twitter.com/marvelshots__/status/1261144800021098499

Well, T'Challa's claws are made of the same material as Cap's shield so it makes sense they can damage it with enough force.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Regardless of the specifics, Cap's Shield in the comics being a special alloy of "Vibranium + etc." that no one is able to truly replicate and makes it stronger than any other fictional metal in the story is something that's been established for a very long time.

In the surprisingly canon JLA/Avengers crossover, Superman gets to wield the Shield for the big final issue-long fight scene* and asks where he can get one. Thor--someone who knows about one-of-a-kind stuff-- tells Superman nah dude there's only one of those:

Honestly the MCU version is dialed back significantly in terms of how unique the Shield has been.

* Cap does radio command via Martian Manhunter telepathy from one of Aquaman's personal ships that Iron Man and Batman souped up to run on Mjolnir + Flash Treadmill + Pym Particles + Chaos Magik in order to travel to basically the end of the universe; just go read this book it owns.

In It For The Tank
Feb 17, 2011

But I've yet to figure out a better way to spend my time.
Speaking of Black Panther's vibranium, there's something I've never been clear on in Civil War: can T'Challa control vibranium? There's a few times in that film where he seems to be able to manipulate to Bucky's arm when they grapple, accompanied by a very distinctive sound effect. It's not really explained, and I'm also not 100% sure whether Bucky's Soviet arm is supposed to be vibranium, but it's obvious T'Challa is doing something.

Is it supposed to be like magnetism? Or what?

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
Bucky's original Winter Soldier arm is apparently titanium, and that's why Tony could destroy it with a unibeam in Civil War.

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.

In It For The Tank posted:

There's a few times in that film where he seems to be able to manipulate to Bucky's arm when they grapple, accompanied by a very distinctive sound effect.

T'Challa is Very Strong

Marsupial Ape
Dec 15, 2020
the mod team violated the sancity of my avatar
T'Challa is basically loving up Bucky's transmission. Gonna be shavings in that crank case.

Thundercracker
Jun 25, 2004

Proudly serving the Ruinous Powers since as a veteran of the long war.
College Slice
Man, I'm so stoked for tonight. After episode 5 I'm actually confident they can stick the landing.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

what time to the episodes air, 3 a.m. EST right?

Marsupial Ape
Dec 15, 2020
I somewhat bummed that I have a job interview tomorrow morning and can't stay up all night to watch it when it drops.

Marsupial Ape fucked around with this message at 02:55 on Apr 23, 2021

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I've actually been on a sane sleeping schedule so probably won't be awake at 3 AM. Which makes me a little sad.

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

Cute, adorable, and creepy at the same time!

The only time I watched something at 3:00 am is when the first episode of Wandavision premiered. Only because I got anxious in the middle of the night and couldn't get back to bed. :v:

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH
Lol look at all you poor fools, not in God's Own Timezone Pacific Standard Time where Disney stuff drops at midnight :smugdog:

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler
Yeah but I live in a state that isn't constantly on fire :smug:

Sir DonkeyPunch
Mar 23, 2007

I didn't hear no bell

Its Rinaldo posted:

Lol look at all you poor fools, not in God's Own Timezone Pacific Standard Time where Disney stuff drops at midnight :smugdog:

ONE YEAR LATER posted:

Yeah but I live in a state that isn't constantly on fire :smug:

Well, we can all take comfort in not being in mountain or central

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Its Rinaldo posted:

I'm still quite happy with Disney putting it up 8am my time, since it means I can just go to bed and watch it when I get up.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Its Rinaldo posted:

Gods own time zone is Eastern. Pacific Time is Yakubs

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

tsob posted:

I'm still quite happy with Disney putting it up 8am my time, since it means I can just go to bed and watch it when I get up.

I live in Central Time zone but am fine waiting until I get up to watch it as well. The thing I mildly dread is coming to this thread and noting 1000 new posts to read through before I can comment.

StrugglingHoneybun
Jan 2, 2005

Aint no thing like me, 'cept me.

Everyone posted:

1000 new posts to read through before I can comment.

:justpost:

Marsupial Ape
Dec 15, 2020

Desperado Bones posted:

The only time I watched something at 3:00 am is when the first episode of Wandavision premiered. Only because I got anxious in the middle of the night and couldn't get back to bed. :v:

Next time that happens, try a podcast called "Sleep With Me". It will knock you the gently caress out.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

STAC Goat posted:

I've actually been on a sane sleeping schedule so probably won't be awake at 3 AM. Which makes me a little sad.

I’ve been waking up at 7am for about a month now, but I still can’t help myself from staying up on Thursday nights. First for Mando, then WandaVision, and now this.

radlum
May 13, 2013
With Mandalorian I did a watchparty with 2 other friends; we would watch the episode as we ate breakfast (and lunch, for the one of us who was in the UK) and we may do it again for Bad Batch.

For WandaVision I used to watch early as well, but by the end of the season I would automatically wake up at 5AM and watch the episode; now with FATWS I've been waking up at 4AM.

I'm kind of glad I will be able to sleep a bit more until Loki premieres.

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

Cute, adorable, and creepy at the same time!

Marsupial Ape posted:

Next time that happens, try a podcast called "Sleep With Me". It will knock you the gently caress out.

Oh, took a look, sounds good, gonna try. Thanks!

I'm not working for the time being so I'm trying to sleep better than before the pandemic. I wouldn't sleep well, stress a lot, but right now I'm more relaxed. I mean the chest pains and feeling like I couldn't breath at 4:00 am have stopped. :feelsgood:

Marsupial Ape
Dec 15, 2020

Desperado Bones posted:

Oh, took a look, sounds good, gonna try. Thanks!

I'm not working for the time being so I'm trying to sleep better than before the pandemic. I wouldn't sleep well, stress a lot, but right now I'm more relaxed. I mean the chest pains and feeling like I couldn't breath at 4:00 am have stopped. :feelsgood:

I have struggled with anxiety and insomnia all my life, but I have gotten the sleep schedule under control. Sleep hygiene is a major component: blackout curtains, no blue lights, not screens before bed. I had racing and intrusive thoughts, but medication has helped with that as well as boring as gently caress podcasts. Play them at a volume just below a murmur and listen to that instead of what’s in your head. Once you disengage from your own internal self talk, you will drift off.

Something that helped me, also, was to tell myself that I can’t do poo poo about what is giving me anxiety when it’s 4 am. Literally nothing because the world is asleep. I had to give myself permission to sleep because it was the only responsible solution.

And, not going to lie, I have a CPAP machine for apnea and it knocks me the gently caress out. My sleep is deep and restful...because I am no longer dying 3 or 4 times a night.

I apologize for the tangent, but quality sleep is something I am passionate about.

Dragonstoned
Jan 15, 2006

MR. DOG WITH BEES IN HIS MOUTH AND WHEN HE BARKS HE SHOOTS BEES AT YOU
by Roger Hargreaves

It airs at 7pm here in NZ :smug:

Lammasu
May 8, 2019

lawful Good Monster
In the comics Vibranium and Adamantium do very different things. Vibranium absorbs kinetic energy while Adamantium is just straight up unbreakable.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

Lammasu posted:

In the comics Vibranium and Adamantium do very different things. Vibranium absorbs kinetic energy while Adamantium is just straight up unbreakable.

Which more or less explains why Cap’s shield, a Vibranium/Pure Adamantium Alloy, behaves the way it does while weighing as much as a lunch tray.

Cage Kicker
Feb 20, 2009

End of the fiscal year, bitch.
MP's got time to order pens for year year, hooah?

SKILCRAFT KREW Reppin' Quality Blind Made

Lipstick Apathy
Only 51 more minutes until Birb and Cold Man, I really love this and WandaVision

Ror
Oct 21, 2010

😸Everything's 🗞️ purrfect!💯🤟

Dragonstoned posted:

It airs at 7pm here in NZ :smug:

Don’t you have to live through Friday first? That sounds like a lot of extra hassle to watch my show.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
Last minute predictions! The Power Broker is Jimmy Woo, Bucky's a Skrull, and Benedict Cumberbatch shows up but as Fin Fang Foom

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
This was all a danger room simulation at the x mansion

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH
Captain America motherfuckers