Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Wheezle posted:

So from my own experience as well as trawling Reddit, it seems like the Quest 2 v28 update has started rolling out properly... without Air Link. :downsgun:

Yep. It started Monday. I tried to warn that it won't necessarily come with v28. It's a separate experimental feature.

For example, I got one of the experimental features (oculus move superposition in games) three weeks later than other people. So the same could happen here.

Turin Turambar fucked around with this message at 08:55 on Apr 22, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Yeah they're not going to turn on the feature until the firmware rollout is complete, that's how new features always work.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Nice, I think I'm going to snag one for my parents.

smenj
Oct 10, 2012

EbolaIvory posted:

You basically have to nuke the entire game folder, redownload it, run the game first, THEN close it, THEN mod it again, THEN run it again THEN close it again THEN move your songs back.

Its REALLY important to nuke the whole folder. Beat Saber rebuilds some files on first boot after you reinstall it etc etc.

It sounds like a missing mod. if it dont work out tomorrow take a screenshot of the main game screen where you pick the song and practice mode and poo poo. Theres a little icon that SHOULD be there telling you "hey you need X" or whatever to play whatever song.

LMK and good luck! :D

Thanks again for all the help! Just tried again after work - removing the songs I'd added yesterday from the custom songs folder, then launching the game, closing it and re-adding them worked. Absolutely no idea why that fixed it or why it even broke in the first place but :shrug: I guess?

Cabbages and Kings
Aug 25, 2004

Shall we be trotting home again?
Holy poo poo

After some combination of the AMD USB updates, WMR and SteamVR updates, and a recentish update to Competizone itself, I can now play ACC at 75% steamVR scaling on a G2 (3800x / 3080) and it doesn't do any crazy bullshit when I launch, races start up, I don't seem to be hitting reprojection, etc!

The list of problems I still have with this headset is basically nonexistant. Yeah, the controller tracking isn't wonderful, but having gotten used to it I don't actually find it any harder to use than the Rift S was. The display is fuckin amazing.

Enos Cabell posted:

Nice, I think I'm going to snag one for my parents.

Noice, I just sent this to my mom with a note that if she buys it I will partially cover it as a birthday present, and also buy her a drawing app and Eleven VR.

With Tilt Brush going away is there a better app like that or should I just get her Tilt Brush because it's great?

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

Get OpenBrush. TiltBrush was abandoned by Google, but to their credit they open sourced it. There's also a multiplayer variant.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

What's Verizon's return policy on those? If I can get ALVR to work acceptably with a fake account and no purchases ( i.e no money or info to Facebook beyond the initial $270 that they're likely losing money on) I'd probably keep it.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

I mean if you’re feeling really froggy: https://github.com/basti564/Oculess

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Warbird posted:

I mean if you’re feeling really froggy: https://github.com/basti564/Oculess

It seems It doesn't work with the new firmware.

Dietrich
Sep 11, 2001

SCheeseman posted:

Get OpenBrush. TiltBrush was abandoned by Google, but to their credit they open sourced it. There's also a multiplayer variant.

Is there a version of this on steam? I'm not seeing anything.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Dietrich posted:

Is there a version of this on steam? I'm not seeing anything.

There is a Windows version
https://openbrush.itch.io/openbrush

Leathal
Oct 29, 2004

wanna be like gucci?
lil buddy eat your vegetables
Looks like AirLink is definitely present but not enabled in v28. You can enable it yourself if you want to jump through some hoops.

1) Be on v28 on both the desktop app and Quest firmware
2) Extract this zip to Program Files\Oculus\Support\oculus-client\resources
2.5) If you don't want to copy over sketchy stuff from GDrive, the guy who posted it explains how to edit it yourself
3) Confirm AirLink shows up in Oculus desktop and enable it
4) Connect your Quest via USB and approve the connection (can skip this if you've done this before), disconnect USB
5) Get your Quest and PC IP addresses, pop open PowerShell in a folder that has a copy of adb and run the following:

./adb connect QUEST_IP_ADDRESS
(Get-NetTCPConnection -OwningProcess (Get-Process -Name OVRServer_x64).Id -State Listen).LocalPort (use the number this spits out for the port in the next command)
./adb shell am start -a android.intent.action.VIEW -d "xrstreamingclient://PC_IP_ADDRESS:PORT_FROM_PREV_STEP" com.oculus.xrstreamingclient

Edit: Stuttering seems to be related to having custom bitrates/resolutions set in ODT - setting it to 0/auto fixed it for me

One particularly interesting thing is that somebody got this working on a Quest 1 and it didn’t seem to perform any worse than what others are reporting on the Q2.

Leathal fucked around with this message at 22:39 on Apr 22, 2021

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

smenj posted:

Thanks again for all the help! Just tried again after work - removing the songs I'd added yesterday from the custom songs folder, then launching the game, closing it and re-adding them worked. Absolutely no idea why that fixed it or why it even broke in the first place but :shrug: I guess?

Thats beat saber for you.

The engine definitely isn't a fan of some of the things mods do it thats for sure.

overeager overeater
Oct 16, 2011

"The cosmonauts were transfixed with wonderment as the sun set - over the Earth - there lucklessly, untethered Comrade Todd on fire."

Just got my Quest 2 - is it possible to circumvent the FB account requirement by creating an Oculus dev account, or is the FB account 100% required now?

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

overeager overeater posted:

Just got my Quest 2 - is it possible to circumvent the FB account requirement by creating an Oculus dev account, or is the FB account 100% required now?

100% required. If you already had an Oculus account it's grandfathered into previous headsets but on the Quest 2 and for new accounts it's Facebook only.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

Saints and Sinners is so good that I just want to echo the recommendations from earlier. My only issue is that the watch is hard to read because of the sheer amount of information it tries to display, but if you hear beeps and bells, just get the gently caress out.

NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009

overeager overeater posted:

Technically it's still possible, sort of. You can create an "unmerged Oculus developer account", then use the developer website to create "test user accounts" which can log into the Quest 2. Those test user accounts will have backing FB accounts automatically created for them. I don't think they can buy things? You might also need to have a bank account associated with the developer account?

I'm not convinced it's worth the effort, since they can probably still do most of the tracking they would do with a regular FB account, but if you really want to try it go ahead. They say this path will remain open until Jan 2023.

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf

NRVNQSR posted:

Technically it's still possible, sort of. You can create an "unmerged Oculus developer account", then use the developer website to create "test user accounts" which can log into the Quest 2. Those test user accounts will have backing FB accounts automatically created for them. I don't think they can buy things? You might also need to have a bank account associated with the developer account?

I'm not convinced it's worth the effort, since they can probably still do most of the tracking they would do with a regular FB account, but if you really want to try it go ahead. They say this path will remain open until Jan 2023.

Test dev accounts cannot buy things, yes. They also cannot add friends to their friends list via normal methods and the friends they can add are, I believe, limited to other test dev accounts.

Other than that, they can do everything else.

Senator Drinksalot
Apr 30, 2013

Kiss me up, touch me, fuckin' rock my world holmes, I don't care

EbolaIvory posted:

Thats beat saber for you.

The engine definitely isn't a fan of some of the things mods do it thats for sure.

Booted it up for the first time in years, that FB money sure changed it dramatically, looked like a completely different game but most importantly I lost all my custom songs.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

HerpicleOmnicron5 posted:

Saints and Sinners is so good that I just want to echo the recommendations from earlier. My only issue is that the watch is hard to read because of the sheer amount of information it tries to display, but if you hear beeps and bells, just get the gently caress out.

The best moments in that game are when you're trying to just get back to the drat boat with a ton of salvage and there's like three or four dozen zombies just ambling around, around every single corner. And then you're down to like 4 bullets and a screwdriver, trying your best not to be seen.

Leathal
Oct 29, 2004

wanna be like gucci?
lil buddy eat your vegetables
Official AirLink next week per Oculus support.

Also if you did the thing above to add the AirLink option for the desktop app: give static IPs to your Quest and your PC and then sideload this apk (https://docs.google.com/uc?export=download&id=1oKBpycy59pnPO-dxfJKXPwFZFyJo10XJ) for ez one click launching.

sea of losers
Jun 6, 2007

miy mwoiultlh tbreaptpreude ifno srteavtiecr more
oh man i hope that vive air actually comes to existence. frick the monopoly on standalone sets

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

sea of losers posted:

oh man i hope that vive air actually comes to existence. frick the monopoly on standalone sets

To be fair, HTC's issue with standalone tracking was just keeping a lock on the controllers wasn't it? The spatial referencing for the headset worked fine?

Senator Drinksalot
Apr 30, 2013

sea of losers posted:

Me too, a good competitor might force Oculus to drop the FB thing too.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Senator Drinksalot posted:

Me too, a good competitor might force Oculus to drop the FB thing too.

Oculus is just a friendly brand label for "Facebook VR" at this point, they've spent the past few years quietly replacing Oculus' leadership with their own people.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Yeah the division is literally Facebook Reality Labs, that account requirement isn’t going anywhere.

Senator Drinksalot
Apr 30, 2013

Ah, I guess I'll never consider an Oculus product then

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

Neddy Seagoon posted:

To be fair, HTC's issue with standalone tracking was just keeping a lock on the controllers wasn't it? The spatial referencing for the headset worked fine?

Yeah I mean even going back to the vive focus, the headtracking was fine by all accounts, and even the cosmos while I remember reading about issues with the controller tracking is was more "you won't be playing beat saber on expert and bows might get finicky up close", where it would still be fine for the most part if they had that on a stand alone set. I think the worse point with the controllers was they took like 4AA batteries and only lasted like.. what 6 hours or something? That was nuts.

HTC is still my bet though for the first person to come out with a quest competitor thats actually available and not "oh hey we showed this off at CES and you can buy one for $1,000 and order it from China, but its really meant for B2B" type thing.

Senator Drinksalot
Apr 30, 2013

Isn't Valve working on an inside out wireless Index? Thought i read somewhere that they filed a patent for one recently.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Isn't Valve working on an inside out wireless Index? Thought i read somewhere that they filed a patent for one recently.

I don’t think Valve is doing anything with their own hardware now.

sea of losers
Jun 6, 2007

i figure oculus -> fb is permanent, which i can deal with to a degree, but i dont want the machine to only work online, deny mods or 3rd party stuff, and be saturated with telemetry. it seems like thats where the oculus is headed in longterm so id love to see some maker just have a functional yet fairly open android headset. i also just love standalone poo poo like the teenage engineering op1 or the novation circuit so its up my alley

TIP
Mar 21, 2006

Your move, creep.

I've heard the rumors that they'll be putting out a wireless module for it, but not that it would be turned into a standalone.

Senator Drinksalot
Apr 30, 2013

njsykora posted:

I don’t think Valve is doing anything with their own hardware now.

https://www.pcgamer.com/valve-index-wireless-eye-tracking-patent/

Not much but it does look like they're still playing around with ideas.

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

I know they've talked for a long time about wireless modules and stuff, and I could see a new headset with built in wireless streaming, but I don't know if we'll see valve do anything that isn't tied to a PC like a purely stand alone product. Considering their structure I don't know if they'd have enough people dedicated to maintaining a stand alone android OS or something.

sea of losers
Jun 6, 2007

otoh they did spend time during the past 10 years branching their own games into linux/mac ports and making "steam boxes" a thing... id rather input my steam info for a game than my fb

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Tom Guycot posted:

Yeah I mean even going back to the vive focus, the headtracking was fine by all accounts, and even the cosmos while I remember reading about issues with the controller tracking is was more "you won't be playing beat saber on expert and bows might get finicky up close", where it would still be fine for the most part if they had that on a stand alone set. I think the worse point with the controllers was they took like 4AA batteries and only lasted like.. what 6 hours or something? That was nuts.

HTC is still my bet though for the first person to come out with a quest competitor thats actually available and not "oh hey we showed this off at CES and you can buy one for $1,000 and order it from China, but its really meant for B2B" type thing.

I think we'll see devices from Samsung, Sony, and maybe Nintendo as an outlier (they've dipped their toes in VR a little, and love doing weird experimental stuff with games after all) eventually but that'll probably be like 2-3 years out just due to R&D and the like.

HTC's a good frontrunner for getting their foot in the door next in the standalone market and they can produce solid hardware for the most part, their problem is they seem intent on finding a way to just jam their foot on a rake right at the end since they struck off on their own away from Valve;

The 3.0 Tracker that's newer, smaller, but arbitrarily more expensive? *BAM* Tundra Tracker that's got the same hardware, is cheaper than it (and priced equally with the 2.0's), has built-in mounts for conventional straps, and only needs a single shared dongle. Now granted it's not out yet and the 3.0's are, but on a straight comparison it still doesn't look great.

The Face Tracker? *BAM* Built for the one headset they've been trying to push customers away from by retiring it (and the eyetracking version can't be bought as a standalone HMD, so no upgrading from your Cosmos :nono:)

The Vive Cosmos... well, where would you like to start? :v:

Senator Drinksalot
Apr 30, 2013

Is HTC still pushing their awful controllers? I hate these wands and can't wait to upgrade to the index.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Is HTC still pushing their awful controllers? I hate these wands and can't wait to upgrade to the index.

Yuuuup. They're not even standardizing to the blue 2.0 Wands, they've been bundling the original Wands and 1.0 Base Stations with the Cosmos Elite :lol:.

They don't have anything else in-house aside from their crappy Cosmos controllers, so until they make their own Lighthouse-tracked controllers they're stuck with them.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
so I've been thinking of buying those $10 zenni lenses for my Rift S. I 3d printed a *thing* for the lenses themselves. would that go over the Rift S' current lenses? I can't Imagine I need to pop them out, right????

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cool Dad
Jun 15, 2007

It is always Friday night, motherfuckers

Yeah, it goes over. You'll probably have to try changing the size a little before you get a good fit. Also, this is crucial, mark on the lenses where the bridge of the glasses is before you take them out of the frame. I hosed that up and had to order another pair. Also the anti glare coating is worth it.