Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

I'm dying here. Was this a kid's show?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Fruits of the sea posted:

I've never seen anything else from it but it was a 18-30s nerd channel in general iirc

We're all children for giggling though

Rhjamiz
Oct 28, 2007

The Teladi Wharf in Profit Center Alpha has... stopped working. Its stores are full. It seems to be fully functional, but it's not building anything or processing orders of any kind.

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013
WHERE THE FUCK IS MY MONEY

Fruits of the sea posted:

G4 was an American tv channel/website in the mid 00's that focused on video games. It's been gone for a long time now. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/G4_(American_TV_network)

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Rhjamiz posted:

The Teladi Wharf in Profit Center Alpha has... stopped working. Its stores are full. It seems to be fully functional, but it's not building anything or processing orders of any kind.

Does it say anything in the logical overview about what the production modules are working on? They will stop producing if they are at their fleet quota but if it won't build your orders either that's odd.

Rhjamiz
Oct 28, 2007

OwlFancier posted:

Does it say anything in the logical overview about what the production modules are working on? They will stop producing if they are at their fleet quota but if it won't build your orders either that's odd.

It doesn't. No ships currently being built. I found a year old post about a similar issue that arose if the Admin center and Production were damaged at the same time, which can apparently be fixed by destroying the production module only and letting it repair. I'm testing that now. Only took one point of true rep loss.

Edit: Didn't work. Wharf still refuses to actually build or complete orders.

Rhjamiz fucked around with this message at 23:43 on Apr 19, 2021

Xan
Feb 7, 2005
Shop smart, shop S-Mart.
Is silicon mining a lot slower now? I have 24 L miners on just silicon and that's barely enough to keep up with the demand of my factories. (48k needed per hour).

Ass_Burgerer
Dec 3, 2010

What's the deal with my trade ships refusing to trade with my own stations? My stations are set to trade only with My ships, and vice versa. Yet they just bumble around forever!

Stations are also set to sell off excess materials (big green bar) but it's never taken. Stations also have money. What gives?

I just want to streamline my station building operations. I don't want to have to manually order transport for every build storage. This is rediculous.

Xan
Feb 7, 2005
Shop smart, shop S-Mart.

Ass_Burgerer posted:

What's the deal with my trade ships refusing to trade with my own stations? My stations are set to trade only with My ships, and vice versa. Yet they just bumble around forever!

Stations are also set to sell off excess materials (big green bar) but it's never taken. Stations also have money. What gives?

I just want to streamline my station building operations. I don't want to have to manually order transport for every build storage. This is rediculous.

Are they in range of each other? I had this problem then realized it was because my 2 skill manager couldn't trade with a system that was 3 jumps away.

Shrimp or Shrimps
Feb 14, 2012

Completed the main portion of the Paranid questline for the first time. Blew up the double-ended space dildo and plunged the Paranid into a religious forever war and Dal Busta is all like, "Good job, this will present us with many opportunities going forward."

I guess now I get to help Duke's Buccaneer's take over Nopiles Fortune.

Once I get all the plot lines squared away and galaxy states changed, I'm going to install the dynamic factions mod and see what happens.

Shrimp or Shrimps fucked around with this message at 04:31 on Apr 20, 2021

ughhhh
Oct 17, 2012

Shrimp or Shrimps posted:

I guess now I get to help Duke's Buccaneer's take over Nopiles Fortune.

Never! Nopiles fortune is the perfect place for the player and that 2 eyed freak can go build his own drat stations.

Rhjamiz
Oct 28, 2007

Ass_Burgerer posted:

I've noticed this too, and it feels like they mostly just hang around until everything is empty, and then trickle-feed their factory.

I've also noticed that for the most part, traders won't sell their own product to friendly factories, they only buy to supply their home factory. So you need to have traders specifically on stations that are to receive goods for processing.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Jesus christ I just about shat myself at the music sting for completing a terraforming step.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
Bought the base game with the Terran expansion pack. Several Q’s:

1)I bought a mining ship with an NPC I promoted to pilot and sent them to mine ore in a sector. Shortly after they undocked and went on their way. How do I know if they’re making progress? They seemed to be working, then occasionally looked for a trade station, then went back to mining. Are they able to offload goods on their own and repeat the cycle? How do I get paid?

2) I forgot which start I did, I think it was lone spacer or something. Is there a main story? If so, how do I start it? Can I side with the Terrans and see earth? My start put me at a -15 point relationship with them.

3) How do I improve game performance? I get around 90-100 FPS in empty areas, around 60-70 on ship/stations, 30-40 in asteroid fields. 1440p, RTX 3070, 32GB DDR4 2666 MHz memory, i7 8700 stock, SATA SSD.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

buglord posted:

Bought the base game with the Terran expansion pack. Several Q’s:

1)I bought a mining ship with an NPC I promoted to pilot and sent them to mine ore in a sector. Shortly after they undocked and went on their way. How do I know if they’re making progress? They seemed to be working, then occasionally looked for a trade station, then went back to mining. Are they able to offload goods on their own and repeat the cycle? How do I get paid?

2) I forgot which start I did, I think it was lone spacer or something. Is there a main story? If so, how do I start it? Can I side with the Terrans and see earth? My start put me at a -15 point relationship with them.

3) How do I improve game performance? I get around 90-100 FPS in empty areas, around 60-70 on ship/stations, 30-40 in asteroid fields. 1440p, RTX 3070, 32GB DDR4 2666 MHz memory, i7 8700 stock, SATA SSD.

1, for ships not assigned to a station they will operate out your bank account, so miners set to automine will go mine stuff and then sell the stuff they mine and the cash goes direct to your account. Free traders will try to find profitable trades and then use your cash to buy up something to sell for profit, I believe the whole buy/sell thing is sort of "booked in" as it were so they will sort of phone ahead to the station to say "hey I'm coming to sell you this poo poo so don't fill that part of your order until I get there" and if the ship gets interrupted in the meantime the order is canceled, but payments happen on transfer of goods, so you pay for your pickup and you get paid when you drop off. Mining works the same way in that NPCs and ships you own will reserve a portion of a station's standing order for goods when they look to sell their cargo, and you get paid once it's transferred to the station. Difference is there's no "buy" step as it's replaced with mining it. If you select the ship there should be a "logbook" tab somewhere on the ship info window that gives you its sales history. Also you have a general player logbook in the player tab off the main top menu. For ships that are assigned to a station they use the station's account which is accessible through the logical overview or through the accounts window which again is located on the player tab, i think.

2, there are a bunch of plots littered about and you can pick them up as you fly around and gain rep with various factions. You can side with the terrans but you will need to make friends with them by doing missions for them and helping them out. Missions are avaialble from stations as you fly around and are mostly randomly generated, but there are also written missions you will be offered too.

3, the game just does struggle, but I think there is specifcally an issue with the 3000 series cards that you need to make sure you have the latest drivers for. Otherwise I would play with the settings because there are some very hungry effects like reflections. I don't know if they are specially optimised for the magic RTX technology. Stations and geometrically dense areas are always going to be more laggy though because the nature of space sort of means you can't really occlude anything other than just basic "don't render stuff you aren't looking at"

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 19:22 on Apr 20, 2021

timn
Mar 16, 2010
Your FPS looks normal for your hardware. The game is completely bottlenecked by CPU and RAM speed if you have a remotely modern graphics card. Make sure you have XMP enabled to run your RAM as fast as it will go. You can also try updating BIOS and chipset drivers, but it's unlikely to accomplish much.

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

^^ Please send feedback to beefstache911@hotmail.com, this is not a joke that 'stache is the real deal. Serious assessments only. ^^

Have I reached peak X if all I care about now is building stations? Almost all of my cash goes towards either building/expanding stations or otherwise buying miners to support those stations.

My HQ is on its way to approaching its final form, I plopped down a 40x microchip production factory complete with habs in Teladi space on a whim, I just doubled the size of my computronic substrate fab and ultimately tripled the size of my silicon carbide fab. I'm at a massive mining deficit and look forward to the point where I can build L miners myself.

Frankly, my biggest gripe right now is just how long it takes to build stations and that I can't assign multiple builders to speed it up. But at least waiting has let me run around and work on the plots.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I just tried to board a FAF Rattlesnake in Two Grand. No big deal, I think, until I pass another Rattlesnake. "Come back to that one," I think. Then a TEL destroyer starts shooting around, hitting my ships on accident. Then another Rattlesnake appears. Then the Xenon destroyers appear. In the end I killed the K, the K killed the Teladi, the K's supports killed the Rattlesnake with my marines on it, and the other Rattlesnake blew up in the crossfire

What the gently caress, Two Grand

e: So Rattlesnakes are just busted right now? Another one is at Profit Center Alpha attacking an equipment dock, so seems easy enough to board, except for how it instant kills me without hitting me, shoots through itself to shoot me, and also occasionally just instantly loses its shields to one defense drone. It also has random shields and shield strengths on reload. :shrug:

When the marines even get on this one the boarding defense doubles from 600 to 1200 too, I had to leave the sector to get it to work right and even then 2:1 marines lost lol

e: Lmao gently caress you it scuttled apparently, went from 50% hull to dead with nothing shooting it. I give up, I've got the one so Good Enough

RBA Starblade fucked around with this message at 01:26 on Apr 22, 2021

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Is there anyway to speed up module construction? I'm adding like thirty to the HQ to make a full supply chain for Turret and Shield Components because there is exactly one station for each in existence, apparently. I'm adding Weapon Components later because I remembered they exist too lmao.

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

At least we're not the Thalmor (yet)
Mods.

Maybe putting more builder drones on the builder ship? Not sure.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
Drones can affect it. AI builder ships can end up with comically low drones. Rare but it can happen.

Otherwise mostly mods. If your infrastructure supports it stations are also faster to build wide than tall i.e. many stations next to each other instead of a mega station.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Yeah I kinda wish it were possible to 1. have a station build itself using its own drones and 2. use more than 30 drones to increase speed, even if it's exponentially smaller gains.

I guess that is sort of intended to get you to spread your stations out which is good for performance though.

I actually ended up making a mining depot in big nop and it actually sorta works quite well, it doesn't use ships efficiently but just assigning shitloads of miners to it, some on mining, some on trading, is letting it distribute minerals to other stations in the sector quite comfortably. I think I can probably make another station that literally just exists so I can set a different default restriction and then use it to sort of sell excess minerals to nearby sectors. The game is interesting when it transitions into the "gently caress you throw more materials at it" stage where you're printing ships to mine more poo poo to make more parts to print more ships and stations. Feels like the point in a factorio game where you get logistics and throw efficiency out the window.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 23:09 on Apr 22, 2021

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

^^ Please send feedback to beefstache911@hotmail.com, this is not a joke that 'stache is the real deal. Serious assessments only. ^^

Building a station in such a way that it can begin working as it builds is also important. It's maybe my biggest lesson. I created a massive microchip factory and it's taking FOREVER to build and get running. I'm just leaving it because whatever. None of my other stations had this problem because I wasn't rich enough to build it all at once, so I started small and expanded later, but this monstrosity for instance, doesn't add the storages until like the 2nd to last step, so it will never start mining and producing until it's basically complete.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Ice Fist posted:

Building a station in such a way that it can begin working as it builds is also important. It's maybe my biggest lesson. I created a massive microchip factory and it's taking FOREVER to build and get running. I'm just leaving it because whatever. None of my other stations had this problem because I wasn't rich enough to build it all at once, so I started small and expanded later, but this monstrosity for instance, doesn't add the storages until like the 2nd to last step, so it will never start mining and producing until it's basically complete.

Oh yeah tempting as it might be you don't wanna lay down all your intermediate parts in batches, make like a basic set and then add a few of each on at a time so it ramps up production of all the intermediates in parallel. And definitely add your storages first, fortunately I find they're the core strucutral elements so that's fairly easy.

Shrimp or Shrimps
Feb 14, 2012

OwlFancier posted:

I actually ended up making a mining depot in big nop and it actually sorta works quite well, it doesn't use ships efficiently but just assigning shitloads of miners to it, some on mining, some on trading, is letting it distribute minerals to other stations in the sector quite comfortably. I think I can probably make another station that literally just exists so I can set a different default restriction and then use it to sort of sell excess minerals to nearby sectors. The game is interesting when it transitions into the "gently caress you throw more materials at it" stage where you're printing ships to mine more poo poo to make more parts to print more ships and stations. Feels like the point in a factorio game where you get logistics and throw efficiency out the window.

What's your miner:trader ratio, out of curiosity? I'm using 10 each of gas/mineral L Hokkaidos to fill my mining outpost (5 star pilots, decent full crews, 2 cargo drones rest mining drones), and 10 each of gas and mineral M Alligators "trade" it, and I'm finding I can't sell it fast enough and that my traders spend a fair amount of time searching for their next trade even though right next door I've got a hungry compustrate factor. This is in asteroid belt with probes dropped every which where.

Going to start adding more traders I guess to brute force it some.

E: Mind you, it's still doing a better job than my dang station miners who keep mining ore when I have enough for a production cycle but not enough silicon. And on top of that it does pull in a couple mil an hour, which also seems to mean my traders are ignoring that my factory is set to buy at the highest price, or Terran space is just that mineral hungry and always buying at top dollar.

Shrimp or Shrimps fucked around with this message at 23:56 on Apr 22, 2021

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Well it probably depends on how efficient your miners are and how far you're shipping. The issue with big nop (i'm going to keep calling it that) is that it's very big so the miners take forever to fly to a mineral patch somewhere a thousand kilometers away or some poo poo. So I need a shitload of them to get a decent income, but on the plus side it's got a lot of minerals in it.

So I think miners-traders is probably like 10:1 because the traders just pick up a load and move it like 10km to the next factory, you don't need many. Really the station just serves as a central buffer for minerals and also a thing to automatically set activity blacklists so that the miners only mine in that sector. So every now and then I just run another pile of miners off the shipyard and slap them on the station.

I have also noticed they seem to mine minerals quite evenly too but that might be because I have like 40 of them assigned to it.

Oh also for traders I have been using a bunch of S kopis, because they're cheap and use small docks and I think just having a whole pile of the little bastards looking for trades helps to keep them working. You can also assign some miners to trade for your actual factories too, and because there isn't anywhere in the universe that actually sells minerals as far as I know, they will go and buy from your mineral depot. So that can help if you want to push some of them to specifically your own factories. Traders for the depot will sell to any station looking to buy minerals, but miners set-as-traders for your factories will only be able to buy from any mineral depots you set up.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 00:30 on Apr 23, 2021

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

There has to be a mod to get traders to not "flee" directly into the main guns of the pirates shaking them down, right

Because it happens every time

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

As far as I can observe it is less "fleeing" and more "the ship is piloted by a fainting goat and will drift in a straight line when under attack"

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

OwlFancier posted:

As far as I can observe it is less "fleeing" and more "the ship is piloted by a fainting goat and will drift in a straight line when under attack"

I'm not even mad at the pirates at this point, I'm mad at my idiot employees

Also dang this Split sector has an asteroid belt of dead Xenon :stare:. Still not as unsettling as the empty sector of a million mines though

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

Just witnessed the most bizarre thing in a game where the AI does the most bizarre poo poo already. So trading between your own stations automatically is a crap shoot as I'm sure most of you already know and probably modded away but because of my crippling masochism I'm sticking with vanilla for my first playthrough. Anyways, I have it setup where a power plant I have in Mercury "sells" its energy cells to a storage post a few jumps away in Mars - at the time of the building of these stations my managers were extremely limited and changing this now is :effort: My production stations in Jupiter have their traders set to go and buy from this trading post. This has worked very well even if setting it up to work this way is hilariously complex for how simple the operation is. "Go to station A, get thing, bring it back, repeat as necessary". It's a mind boggling decision to treat operations between player owned stations as normal trades. But I digress.

I decided I wanted to have some more cargo drones at one of my production stations, so I upped the amount the station wanted. Normally NPCs do a fine job of dropping off the poo poo for this and eventually drones magically appear so I thought nothing of it. What I didn't realize immediately is that the station had swapped its traders - whose only purpose is to go to this storage station and bring back energy cells - to also fulfill the orders for what was needed to build the drones, and for some ungodly reason, because all of the energy cells had already been supplied, taken right out of the station's own supply for production, the station thought it no longer needed to "buy" energy cells from the storage post and the traders sat at the undock looking for trades for the other inputs, futilely, letting their station's energy supply dwindle to almost nothing until I realized what was happening.

Yeah I don't need drones that badly and in the future I think I'll be just buying them and dropping them off with a Honshu or something.

ZombyDog
Jul 11, 2001

Ere to fix yer gubbinz
Over 50 hours into my current game and I've set up my industrial base in Family Zhin. I'm running mostly single output stations, A large Ore refinery, smaller Graphene refinery, Antimatter Cell factory, multiple Hull parts factories and now an Engine parts factory about to come online. Everything has a couple of Boas assigned as station traders, Energy cell production only on the primary refineries and everything is ticking along nicely. Zyarth Patriarchy were being absolutely bodied by Xenon pushing from Tharka's Cascade below and Rhy's Defiance above and Family Zhin seems to have everything in reasonable abundance ( including K's ). The Patriarchy lost everything in the sector except for their last Defense Platform that eats K's, V's and R's for breakfast but they can't seem to catch a break otherwise, they have no Equipment Docks period ( every time they try to rebuild one, it get's blown up ), Argon are starting to settle in Zyarth's Dominion X and I haven't seen any military ships for a while. Initially I saw some very nasty Xenon Fleets coming through ( only to splash against the Defense Platform ) but now I'm just getting the periodic K and frequent waves of M,N & Ps - also the Xenon keep on starting to build stations in system, to only have them blown up by my Destroyers and they'll plop another one or two somewhere else in system. I could be a little more proactive in defending baby Zyarth Stations but at the moment I'm pretty much focused on trying to not lose anything to Xenon Incursions. The plan is to have weapon & shield parts manufacturing happening before moving into something like Claytronics. Zyarth have a lot of Claytronics factories online so I'm thinking I should stick with spaceship wares instead.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I have bought like ten drones, turrets, and shields combined this entire game for stations; none of the parts exist at all in any amount lmao. It's why I'm building up the HQ as a super complex for it all. Whether or not the AI fill orders for them, my stations could definitely use them, since I"m hitting the frontiers where Xenon and Khaak are, and ZYA are pretty mad at me (-16 but as I finish the plot for FRF I'm guessing that's changing)

Unfortunately I didn't know build order was the order you slap things down in so it's just a completely random set of whatever but also, no rush on them, I've made do with salvaged destroyers as guards so far lol

RBA Starblade fucked around with this message at 05:23 on Apr 23, 2021

madfury
Dec 21, 2005
rõve loom
I feel I have been here before. First after vanilla release, second after Split release and now with Terran release.
  1. Oh cool game, new space ships, new sectors, improved mechancis
  2. I have played for 40 hours which in X4 context constitues as early midgame at best and I am discovering that half the poo poo doesnt work
  3. I have played for 60 hours and most of mechanics I want to use are broken (looking at you complex supply, mining, large scale combat and trade with NPCs)
  4. I get frustrated, look at mods to fix problems
  5. Realize that modders should not be fixing base game functionality
  6. Give up and return when the next DLC drops
  7. Weep and repeat

The concept has so much potential. There is nothing quite like that on the market. This is the only reason this game is on anyones radar - there is no direct competition. Why the gently caress did they dedicate resources to space legs is something I'll never understand. X3 communication and interactions worked just fine. Your game has a couple of very basic loops - mining, trading and combat. Ego should have made sure these things work flawlessly before introducing terraforming or loving highways in space and whatnot. Endless problems with combat craft not responding to threats, capital ships spinning on the spot, combat scenario results vary wildly depending on IS or OOS, mining gets broken and fixed on regular basis, managed to gently caress up mining AND xenon threat in one fell swoop, and so forth. This poo poo needs to be fixed as a priority. Stop adding pointless loving crap into the game. Game was released in 2018, there are no excuses to not making core loops enjoyable and reliable. If Ego lacks the brainpower, then talk to litcube or mayhem mod authors, they get what your game should be.

I'll show myself out now and be back when the next DLC hits

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

Computronic subtrate plant up to 70 million an hour. One of my stations plopping 70 million into my account always ~feels good~.

Added: My fighters deciding to slow boat and not use their travel drives to engage an enemy who is 80km away does not feel good.

Added 2: After getting frustrated watching my fighters not use their travel drives, I recalled them and was like "oh, it might be cool to sit in the docking bay of my carrier and see them all land". Ummmm... don't do this. It's pathetic/sad to watch. They couldn't just cheat and make docking mostly magic. Nope. They have to have the fighter find its way on its own to right over the docking pad. This leads to hilarious rubber banding which will send fighters spinning into the ether for 10-15km until they recover and try again. They all eventually make it. But it is less than cinematic.

Ice Fist fucked around with this message at 20:17 on Apr 23, 2021

Travic
May 27, 2007

Getting nowhere fast

Ice Fist posted:

Computronic subtrate plant up to 70 million an hour. One of my stations plopping 70 million into my account always ~feels good~.

Added: My fighters deciding to slow boat and not use their travel drives to engage an enemy who is 80km away does not feel good.

Added 2: After getting frustrated watching my fighters not use their travel drives, I recalled them and was like "oh, it might be cool to sit in the docking bay of my carrier and see them all land". Ummmm... don't do this. It's pathetic/sad to watch. They couldn't just cheat and make docking mostly magic. Nope. They have to have the fighter find its way on its own to right over the docking pad. This leads to hilarious rubber banding which will send fighters spinning into the ether for 10-15km until they recover and try again. They all eventually make it. But it is less than cinematic.

:stare: Good gravy what does that station look like?!

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

Travic posted:

:stare: Good gravy what does that station look like?!

Unable to take a picture at the moment. But basically a space city. Only there is another city on top of the city. It’s rad.

Edit: the real :stare: is what the asteroid belt looks like.

Shrimp or Shrimps
Feb 14, 2012

Helping the Terrans clean up Savage Spur II. Savage Spur II is a really nice looking sector. If the Terrans don't expand into it after I've dutifully eradicated the Xenon and stuck up a defense station at the gate, then I'm going to claim it for myself.

Xan
Feb 7, 2005
Shop smart, shop S-Mart.
What fleet would you recommend for taking down a Xenon Shipyard? At the moment I have 1 Tokyo, 1 Syn, 4 Osaka, 1 Honshu, 80 Kukri fighters. (Terran-only, filthy xenos)

ZombyDog
Jul 11, 2001

Ere to fix yer gubbinz
I believe the Terran response is Install Asguard Problem Solved. If you're playing modified there's a Workshop mod that makes it buyable, otherwise you gotta steal an Intervention one or buy a blueprint and roll your own.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

If you are on a budget, you can also buy something like a rattlesnake and mod the turrets to make them longer ranged, projectile lifetime will do that, then you can sit outside its range and slowly chip away at it. Very boring but it can be done without facing any return fire assuming you have cleared out the rest of the sector.