Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

New rumor is that the Pixel 5a will have the exact same processor as the Pixel 5 and Pixel 4a 5G.

Basically, it'll just be a plastic Pixel 5.

This is both stupid and very Google at the same time, if true.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012
Why stupid? I hope it has 90hz display and costs $350, so if anything happens to my 5 I have a nice replacement

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

The other alternative would have been the SD780 and that would have TROUNCED the Pixel 5 in benchmarks so, I don't know.

They're kind of stuck between a rock and a hard place. The SD765G's successor is about the same performance as a SD855 and gets decently close to a 865 sometimes. I don't think there a 2021 chip in the same performance class as the SD765G.

So, make a P5a that's:

Slower than a 4a5g
The same as 4a5g and P5
Faster than the P5

I think the main update will be a 90hz screen to differentiate it from the 4a5g.

BrianRx
Jul 21, 2007

EdEddnEddy posted:

Is there no way to replace cable for the screen? In most cases the screen and cable are one piece and just clips to the board. Is that not the case for the 4XL?

This is 100% correct. The picture on ifixit is upside down and I didn't look closely enough at the replacement part (it's all wrapped and taped up in packaging and I didn't want to break it). The cable is on the display and the port is on the motherboard. I was interpreting the display and phone backwards. So I should be fine if I didn't damage the port when the cable came out. I am a very lucky moron. Thank you.

repiv posted:

Pixels don't support wired video output

probably because they want you to buy a chromecast instead

This is good to know because it was my next great idea.

BabyFur Denny posted:

Why don't you just get a new phone and restore the backup that you took before disassembling your current phone

Ah ha ha. Ha.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

BrianRx posted:

Ah ha ha. Ha.

If it's a Pixel then it should've been backed up automatically unless you went out of your way to disable it.

PitViper
May 25, 2003

Welcome and thank you for shopping at Wal-Mart!
I love you!
I'm sure the answer is "lol google'd" but how do I get gmail to notify me about new emails in my "updates" category? I very nearly missed scheduling a Covid vaccine appointment because apparently it's decided I should only be notified about email in my main inbox, which is very nearly nonexistent since it filters most of the things I need to respond to into "Updates".

Or do I need to disable the Updates category and hope it filters everything back to the main inbox? My concern is it'll start throwing actual important things into Promotions, which is a wasteland that I might glance at once a week.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib

PitViper posted:

I'm sure the answer is "lol google'd" but how do I get gmail to notify me about new emails in my "updates" category? I very nearly missed scheduling a Covid vaccine appointment because apparently it's decided I should only be notified about email in my main inbox, which is very nearly nonexistent since it filters most of the things I need to respond to into "Updates".

Or do I need to disable the Updates category and hope it filters everything back to the main inbox? My concern is it'll start throwing actual important things into Promotions, which is a wasteland that I might glance at once a week.

Turn that poo poo off. That's how I deal with it.

PitViper
May 25, 2003

I love you!

sharkytm posted:

Turn that poo poo off. That's how I deal with it.

I thought about it. But then I discovered under gmail settings/manage labels, it had decided to turn off notifications on the updates label. Thanks google! Re-enabled it and now it works as it used to. Good on them for putting notifications settings in at least two different places.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib

PitViper posted:

I thought about it. But then I discovered under gmail settings/manage labels, it had decided to turn off notifications on the updates label. Thanks google! Re-enabled it and now it works as it used to. Good on them for putting notifications settings in at least two different places.

I'm shocked it's only 2.

swampface
Apr 30, 2005

Soiled Meat

PitViper posted:

Thank you for this I just turned on the Updates tab yesterday and couldn't figure out how to get notifications working.

BurritoJustice
Oct 9, 2012

bull3964 posted:

I really don't think that's the motivation. What weirdo plugs their phone into a TV to stream video?

Displayport cost money to license and why spend the money for such a niche use?

I had to do some emails in my dad's office and it was really useful to just plug my S21U into his Thunderbolt laptop dock and immediately have two displays, keyboard and mouse to use with a pseudo desktop Android interface.

It was also really useful when I was at a holiday house and didn't have any other way to use the TV for Disney+

It's one of those things where after you learn about it you find it more useful than you'd think

PitViper
May 25, 2003

I love you!

swampface posted:

Thank you for this I just turned on the Updates tab yesterday and couldn't figure out how to get notifications working.

Literally years that I've had gmail sorting mail like this, and just a couple weeks ago it just decided "you know, he probably doesn't need to know when he gets that 20% of mail he really pays attention to"

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

BurritoJustice posted:

I had to do some emails in my dad's office and it was really useful to just plug my S21U into his Thunderbolt laptop dock and immediately have two displays, keyboard and mouse to use with a pseudo desktop Android interface.

It was also really useful when I was at a holiday house and didn't have any other way to use the TV for Disney+

It's one of those things where after you learn about it you find it more useful than you'd think

I kept saying that Microsoft could easily have had a solid niche here if they would have developed Windows Phone to run x86 apps to a usable extent, and really kept the hardware going instead of doing a one and done with the 950's. Hell now you are about to run Linux GUI apps on Win10, that is only a step from being able to just run any android apps you want as well natively if they put in the effort.

Being able to just use your phone as a phone, then just dock it to any USB-C dock and work as a workstation while still being able to call/text/etc I feel is something that may not be super useful until more people try it. At least with Windows it should be a pretty native swap vs Dex which is I would assume a good chunk of work to get working with Android as well as it does.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

I have multiple devices that support DEX and I think it's a pretty poor desktop experience TBH. If I want a windowed Android experience, ChromeOS is the way to go.

The only real advantage your phone has over something dedicated is the cellular modern rather than wifi. If you are going to carry around a USB-C to HDMI or Displayport cable with you, you might as well carry something more suitable for the experience you want instead.

BurritoJustice
Oct 9, 2012

bull3964 posted:

I have multiple devices that support DEX and I think it's a pretty poor desktop experience TBH. If I want a windowed Android experience, ChromeOS is the way to go.

The only real advantage your phone has over something dedicated is the cellular modern rather than wifi. If you are going to carry around a USB-C to HDMI or Displayport cable with you, you might as well carry something more suitable for the experience you want instead.

I mean, a small dongle to carry with your phone is both way more convenient and way cheaper than a standalone device. And with the prevalence of shared USB-C data/charging/video inputs on monitors and docks you don't even need anything extra

I side loaded some dex tweaks to change how window resizing/multitasking works and I don't know what I'd change for a Linuxy/ARM experience. What do you feel chromeOS does better, and what device are you using? Genuinely interested.

Another useless thing I used it for was running full screen Hearthstone with mouse which is way better than the cramped touch screen interface, so it's good for any games than run natively

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

I wrote something up at one point but I can't find it. I have a Tab S7+ and both a S21 Ultra and Note 20 Ultra.

For you last example, you can use a mouse with any device, you don't need to be able to connect to a dock for it.

homeless
Jan 2, 2005
not so much
Feels like an awkward time to upgrade, but Sprint tempted me into a Pixel 4a 5G. I found a decent deal on a Pixel 3 18 months ago and that lease is nearly up, only was paying $10/month for it. Now I'm returning the 3 in exchange for the 4a 5G and paying $12 over 24 months + keeping the device.

Google gonna google, but feels like a good deal if anyone is in a similar situation. Liked my 3 well enough but the buyout cost exceeded the value.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

I mean, we're still 4 months away from the 5a so it's not like it's that horrible timing. The 5a should be pretty comparable to the 4a 5g, so I doubt you will be missing out on much.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

EdEddnEddy posted:

I kept saying that Microsoft could easily have had a solid niche here if they would have developed Windows Phone to run x86 apps to a usable extent, and really kept the hardware going instead of doing a one and done with the 950's. Hell now you are about to run Linux GUI apps on Win10, that is only a step from being able to just run any android apps you want as well natively if they put in the effort.

Being able to just use your phone as a phone, then just dock it to any USB-C dock and work as a workstation while still being able to call/text/etc I feel is something that may not be super useful until more people try it. At least with Windows it should be a pretty native swap vs Dex which is I would assume a good chunk of work to get working with Android as well as it does.

All they really had to do was port MSN Messenger to mobile, keep the look and feel and sounds and voila. So many people kept using BB just for BBM

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

ThermoPhysical posted:

New rumor is that the Pixel 5a will have the exact same processor as the Pixel 5 and Pixel 4a 5G.

Basically, it'll just be a plastic Pixel 5.

This is both stupid and very Google at the same time, if true.

Is the regular Pixel 5 not plastic? It's not glass and it doesn't feel like metal.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

It's aluminum frame/body coated in resin.

BurritoJustice
Oct 9, 2012

bull3964 posted:

I wrote something up at one point but I can't find it. I have a Tab S7+ and both a S21 Ultra and Note 20 Ultra.

For you last example, you can use a mouse with any device, you don't need to be able to connect to a dock for it.

Oh I know, it was just way nicer playing on a 27" screen using the mouse. Mouse directly on the phone doesn't work well.

School of How
Jul 6, 2013

quite frankly I don't believe this talk about the market

School of How fucked around with this message at 08:02 on Apr 24, 2021

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Looks like OnePlus patched in PPS charging in one of the recent updates to the OP9P as the PPS chargers I have appear to be charging at twice the rate of my 18w Pixel charger.

Curious to see how long it will take to get a full charge from it, still a lot slower than the 65w charging, but 25w-30w will be nice while not needing a high amp USB-C cable and for car charging.

Really hope we get 25w wired charging on the next Pixel. The tech is here without having to use proprietary chargers now so there's not much reason not to take this little extra step.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

I have a motorola g6 (play) which is on Android 9. There's no official upgrade path available and security patches seemingly stopped a year ago.

The phone still works perfectly fine and there's not really anything else I need it to do, but I can't in good conscience keep using a phone that's a security risk, no matter how much I hate this planned obsolescence poo poo.

Some questions:
1. Is there an official or mainstream open-source option I'm missing?
2. How serious are missing security updates likely to be at this point? (in my heart I know the answer but I'll ask anyway)
3. I should probably avoid flashing some homebrew poo poo, right?

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Jaded Burnout posted:

I have a motorola g6 (play) which is on Android 9. There's no official upgrade path available and security patches seemingly stopped a year ago.

The phone still works perfectly fine and there's not really anything else I need it to do, but I can't in good conscience keep using a phone that's a security risk, no matter how much I hate this planned obsolescence poo poo.

Some questions:
1. Is there an official or mainstream open-source option I'm missing?
2. How serious are missing security updates likely to be at this point? (in my heart I know the answer but I'll ask anyway)
3. I should probably avoid flashing some homebrew poo poo, right?

How much are you using your phone for things? Personally I wouldn't worry that much but I also rarely browse the internet on my phone. You know what you're risking which is that there would be some kind of drive-by exploit that you come across which backdoors the device. Maybe my imagination is poor but really I think every one of us knows someone with a budget phone that's never had a security update that's five Android versions out of date and they're mostly fine.

I think you probably know what risks you're taking and whether it's worth it to you to buy a new phone to alleviate them. I have to imagine since you bought a cheap phone to begin with that it's not worth getting rid of something that otherwise works fine to you but since you're aware of how it might not be the best idea you'll probably want to stick with a vendor guaranteeing such updates in the future.

As for your options, Here's where to begin your search. I honestly don't know what it's like out there these days and in fact you might be in a situation where there's nothing you can do.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

LastInLine posted:

How much are you using your phone for things? Personally I wouldn't worry that much but I also rarely browse the internet on my phone. You know what you're risking which is that there would be some kind of drive-by exploit that you come across which backdoors the device. Maybe my imagination is poor but really I think every one of us knows someone with a budget phone that's never had a security update that's five Android versions out of date and they're mostly fine.

I think you probably know what risks you're taking and whether it's worth it to you to buy a new phone to alleviate them. I have to imagine since you bought a cheap phone to begin with that it's not worth getting rid of something that otherwise works fine to you but since you're aware of how it might not be the best idea you'll probably want to stick with a vendor guaranteeing such updates in the future.

I originally bought as a company phone, because I was on an iphone for personal use and needed something literally for phone calls and emails. I then broke my iphone and switched to the android sort-of temporarily, but found it was just fine for what I needed.

While I don't do much web browsing on it, I have personal and company banking on there now, so, yeah, I should probably get a new one. I had no idea that long term updates was a feature I should be looking for.

LastInLine posted:

As for your options, Here's where to begin your search. I honestly don't know what it's like out there these days and in fact you might be in a situation where there's nothing you can do.

Yeah I've had a look through there, that's where the homebrew-lookin' stuff is. I'll get something new and relegate this to a backup. Thanks for the advice, I'll go post in the phone rec thread.

sarcastx
Feb 26, 2005

Odd question:

I have a Samsung S20+ and I loving hate it (mostly due to the goddamned Samsung-y software). Back in the day when I had a phone with a horseshit UI I'd just put another ROM on there - but as I've had a few Pixels it's been a long time since I've gone looking - it seems like that scene doesn't seem to be as big any longer.

Or am I just looking in the wrong spots (XDA-Developers etc)?

edit: clarity - I have found some ROMs on XDA-DEV, just kinda surprising to see Cyanogenmod (now Lineage?) not supporting newer Samsungs and the like, and all sorts of features failing to work properly

sarcastx fucked around with this message at 20:34 on Apr 28, 2021

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
What are you looking to un-Samsung-ify? I've "fixed" some cheap tablets by running Nova and getting the UI like 80% of the way there.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

The launcher is honestly the least worst thing about a modern Samsung phone. That is, aside from the horrible abomination that is a side scrolling app drawer. Seriously, cut this poo poo out.

HomeUp at least lets you get to pop up folders instead of the dumb mid top layout of fullscreen folders the launch has by default. I will never understand that, Samsung tries to make one handed concessions throughout their UI, but when it comes to folders on the home screen, let's space them all out and start the grid halfway up the phone in the upper left justified! Although OnePlus also does full screen, the list is much more compact and bottom justified.

My biggest gripes are the QoL things. No quick access to home and payment from long press of power button. This is especially egregious now if you have more than one device and want to use google pay. Since google pay only lets you run it on one phone at a time, you have to go to Setting->Google->Account Services-> Google Pay to access anything but your default card on a samsung device. Smart home devices are being the devices button in the notification shade, so that's two actions to access things like your locks or thermostats where it's a single long press of the power button to access both Google Pay and home devices on Pixel and other devices.

Other stuff that's annoying is having to apply a whole theme if all you want to do is change the accent color. Both Pixel and Oneplus lets you access that directly through system menus.

That also applies to icon shapes. Oneplus isn't a ton better here, but at least you have the choice of two without going to apply custom packages.

Can't create Do Not Disturb Schedule based on calendar events. At least they finally let you have more than one schedule though!

I'm really hoping after tomorrow I stop getting prompted to move my non-existent Samsung cloud data to OneDrive. I'm using native Google services to backup my device, I don't want Samsung Cloud or it's successors at all. I actually had a chuckle that this was still an issue on the S21 ultra since they announced long before that DEVICE was ever announced that Samsung Cloud was going away, so why does it have the functionality out of the box only to immediatly start prompting not to use it?

I still don't like the whole device care section, but that's ignorable most of the time. If they would just cut ties with McAfee so they would stop having links shilling for 3rd party subscription services directly within core system settings.

Kill Bixby, remove 3rd party promotional entanglements, more closely integrate core google services, and do some minor UI cleanup and things would be so much better. They are ALMOST there.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
Well, you won't want to be rooting and installing custom ROMs if you care about Google Pay.

https://lineageos.org/Safetynet/

It could also prevent things like Netflix from working.

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

One thing that surprised me coming from Pixel to LG is how close I was able to setup the launcher to mimic the way I had it oh the Pixel. And most of the QoL things LG did add actually either helps or can just be turned off or ignored. Probably the only thing I find still annoying even back to the G3 days is the app drawer being installed order sorted than ABC which you have to do manually when you install an app. Not a major issue though.

And there are ways to get Android Pay working on custom roms and root. Its a bit of a pain, but still possible.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

bull3964 posted:

They are ALMOST there.

I clipped out the 472 words about how not there they actually are.

sarcastx
Feb 26, 2005

Uthor posted:

What are you looking to un-Samsung-ify? I've "fixed" some cheap tablets by running Nova and getting the UI like 80% of the way there.

It's hard to really quantify - it's like a feel to the device. There's just so much "stuff" crammed in everywhere, and constantly trying to help or "value-add". It's an awful, cluttered, busy interface just about everywhere from the notification drawer to the launcher (obviously not using the default launcher any longer though) to the built-in apps (weather, Samsung Pay) which are ad supported. And I bought this phone outright and unlocked and not from a carrier, so the ad supported apps especially disgusted me.

I think the most annoying example of this is this popup (which can't be disabled):

See - I intentionally turned the HDR off because with it on, my pictures look like I ate a pound of gummibears and shotgunned a gallon of Sprite with an Ipecac chaser. But I do love being told I'm wrong every time I try to take a photo!

sarcastx fucked around with this message at 14:06 on Apr 29, 2021

CerealKilla420
Jan 3, 2014

"I need a handle man..."
Has anyone ITT that owns a Poco M3 been able to find a decent case for it?

I ordered one on Amazon and sent it back because it was the worst Dollar store crap I've ever seen.

I'm really just looking for a case with a kickstand because I mostly use it to watch youtube videos/10bit Animes while I use iPhone for regular phone things.

BurritoJustice
Oct 9, 2012

sarcastx posted:

It's hard to really quantify - it's like a feel to the device. There's just so much "stuff" crammed in everywhere, and constantly trying to help or "value-add". It's an awful, cluttered, busy interface just about everywhere from the notification drawer to the launcher (obviously not using the default launcher any longer though) to the built-in apps (weather, Samsung Pay) which are ad supported. And I bought this phone outright and unlocked and not from a carrier, so the ad supported apps especially disgusted me.

I think the most annoying example of this is this popup (which can't be disabled):

See - I intentionally turned the HDR off because with it on, my pictures look like I ate a pound of gummibears and shotgunned a gallon of Sprite with an Ipecac chaser. But I do love being told I'm wrong every time I try to take a photo!

Turn off screen optimiser in the camera settings, it's the suggestions. And I've had no issue using non default apps. You can even disable the stock ones if anything is hard launching them.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

BurritoJustice posted:

Turn off screen optimiser in the camera settings, it's the suggestions. And I've had no issue using non default apps. You can even disable the stock ones if anything is hard launching them.

While the tip is useful, sarcastx is correct about the software design philosophy that Samsung employs. Cramming in useless features of dubious quality leads to a cluttered interface and endless options that fatigue the user. You know what's a lot better than pages of options and toggles to tweak the behavior and appearance of every little thing? A well-designed interface with sensible defaults that works well in most situations for most people.

The perfect example of that is exactly this exchange, where sarcastx says a default annoyance can't be disabled and you point out that it can be disabled. The reason for not knowing it could be disabled is that the interface is too cluttered with ambiguous options of dubious utility and the reason it's annoying is that the default setting is such that it bothers the user without a clear indication of how to make it stop. That design philosophy pervades every part of Samsung's software.

ClassActionFursuit fucked around with this message at 05:28 on Apr 30, 2021

CoolRanch
Apr 5, 2019

LastInLine posted:

While the tip is useful, sarcastx is correct about the software design philosophy that Samsung employs. Cramming in useless features of dubious quality leads to a cluttered interface and endless options that fatigue the user. You know what's a lot better than pages of options and toggles to tweak the behavior and appearance of every little thing? A well-designed interface with sensible defaults that works well in most situations for most people.

The perfect example of that is exactly this exchange, where sarcastx says a default annoyance can't be disabled and you point out that it can be disabled. The reason for not knowing it could be disabled is that the interface is too cluttered with ambiguous options of dubious utility and the reason it's annoying is that the default setting is such that it bothers the user without a clear indication of how to make it stop. That design philosophy pervades every part of Samsung's software.

It's the 1st and 2nd option when you click the menu button.

BurritoJustice
Oct 9, 2012

LastInLine posted:

I do agree with you. I'm a turbonerd so I actually like the Samsung philosophy of absurd amounts of settings and features, but I get how confusing and cluttered it is. I still find random options deep in menus that massively change aspects of the phone. I just spent an hour or two after I bought it thoroughly checking every menu and it allowed me to set the phone up exactly as I like it. I've arrived on an experience that I think is all around better than stock android, but I know how honkey it was to begin with.

(this one is pretty obvious though)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chikimiki
May 14, 2009
Can you still set Cool Jazz as the default font? :v: