Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Stellan is a avatar of the Norse fertility god Freyr.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

McCloud posted:

Gripweed, please keep your daddy issues contained to the appropriate threads tia

I understand why'd you look at that poster and think "daddy" but "daddy issues" is a bit of a stretch

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Monster Hunter is kinda weird. It feels like they wrote the script assuming they were gonna get a much smaller budget than they did. Half the runtime is two characters in a cave dodging giant spiders. You could film that script on a syfy budget.

And when they got more money than expected they decided to spend a lot of the extra money on shots where the camera zooms out to reveal a big CGI landscape. All together that's another ten percent of the runtime right there.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Gripweed posted:

Monster Hunter is kinda weird. It feels like they wrote the script assuming they were gonna get a much smaller budget than they did. Half the runtime is two characters in a cave dodging giant spiders. You could film that script on a syfy budget.

And when they got more money than expected they decided to spend a lot of the extra money on shots where the camera zooms out to reveal a big CGI landscape. All together that's another ten percent of the runtime right there.

That's what I would do if I suddenly got more money than I expected for a movie but had to start shooting the poo poo that involved actors before I had time for a rewrite.

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

Gripweed posted:

Giant Spiders you say?
Was Jon Peters involved?

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

McCloud posted:

Giant Spiders you say?
Was Jon Peters involved?

They aren't that big, it's just Nerscylla. And mostly small Nerscylla at that

AccountSupervisor
Aug 3, 2004

I am greatful for my loop pedal
Whatever happened to Wolfgang Peterson? I was talking about Troy with some friends and realized besides a small German comedy in 2016, Poseidon(2006) was his last big movie.

Pretty wild to me he doesnt even have anything in the works.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Is there a thread for the Oscars?

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Roth posted:

Is there a thread for the Oscars?

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3960597

Here ya go!

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

where the hell is mortal kombat

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"

banned from Starbucks posted:

Outworld.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

The real Mortal Kombat is the friends we made along the way.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Adelaide, apparently. Almost tempted to watch it just to look for familiar scenery.

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

AccountSupervisor posted:

Whatever happened to Wolfgang Peterson? I was talking about Troy with some friends and realized besides a small German comedy in 2016, Poseidon(2006) was his last big movie.

Pretty wild to me he doesnt even have anything in the works.
He's 80, sometimes people just decide 65 is a good time to retire and live life instead of working until they die.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Petersen had a pretty interesting career, even if he never even came anywhere close to topping Das Boot.

I recently watched In The Line of Fire and that movie should be essential viewing to understand boomer dad mindset, also John Malkovich is great.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
It's so funny when you find out that Das Boot was a TV movie.

Carly Gay Dead Son
Aug 27, 2007

Bonus.
So was World on a Wire. German TV was a hell of a thing.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

It's so funny when you find out that Das Boot was a TV movie.

I've actually only ever seen the TV miniseries version. I've been told the 209 minute cut is a good condensed version though.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Carly Gay Dead Son posted:

So was World on a Wire. German TV was a hell of a thing.

World on a Wire and Das Millionenspiel!

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

I've actually only ever seen the TV miniseries version. I've been told the 209 minute cut is a good condensed version though.

It is, but I haven't seen either in many years so take my vague recollection with a grain of salt.

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~
I haven't seen Das Boot in close to 2 decades (and I've only ever seen the condensed 3.5 hour version), but the ending is crystal clear in my mind.

Ramrod Hotshot
May 30, 2003

I want to see Inherent Vice but I'm not a pro Movie Understander. I've heard this one is notoriously complex and hard to follow. Is it the sort of thing you can kick back and enjoy the ride like Lebowski?

Carly Gay Dead Son
Aug 27, 2007

Bonus.

Ramrod Hotshot posted:

I want to see Inherent Vice but I'm not a pro Movie Understander. I've heard this one is notoriously complex and hard to follow. Is it the sort of thing you can kick back and enjoy the ride like Lebowski?

I wouldn’t worry about it. You won’t get the plot but neither does anyone else.

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~

Ramrod Hotshot posted:

It’s a bit more like a normal noir than The Big Lebowski. The story’s more complex and there’s more focus on the story (as opposed to The Big Lebowski’s hangout vibes), but it’s still got that stoned-out vibe. My view on noir is that fully understanding the story is one of the least important parts of enjoying the genre, it’s more about the atmosphere, and character dynamics, and immediate twists.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

X-Ray Pecs posted:

My view on noir is that fully understanding the story is one of the least important parts of enjoying the genre, it’s more about the atmosphere, and character dynamics, and immediate twists.

Half the time people who wrote noir didn't understand the story.

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

Ramrod Hotshot posted:

That's a movie/book you throw on and vibe out to. Trying to actually follow what's going on is for suckers.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Cool, HBO is making a show set in, uh, ... the fictional land of South Korea?

https://twitter.com/DiscussingFilm/status/1385294008914698241?s=19

Carly Gay Dead Son
Aug 27, 2007

Bonus.
This is great news. My favorite part of Bong Joon Ho’s Parasite was the rich world-building and expansive lore.

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~
I hope the Native American foreshadowing has a good payoff! Can’t wait for the monologue on why Ram-Don is so important to the family!

pospysyl
Nov 10, 2012

I wonder if they'll finally confirm who the parasites were.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

I don't know where else to post about this since I couldn't find a BSS genchat thread, but holy poo poo is Chuck Rozanski, the owner of Mile High Comics, a mother loving legend. Everything he talks about while giving a tour of the Mile High Comics floorspace is just absolutely lovely, and the story of how he purchased one of the biggest and most expensive comic collections ever is unbelievable and will probably never be recreated in the current comics market. I'm glad these videos exist.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nRbHGKT9m1g

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8N3nvTyU_Io

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Whoever coined the phrase “fictional universe” deserves an absolutely gnarly death

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

pospysyl posted:

I wonder if they'll finally confirm who the parasites were.

Turns out they're in bad pork

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

ruddiger posted:

I don't know where else to post about this since I couldn't find a BSS genchat thread, but holy poo poo is Chuck Rozanski, the owner of Mile High Comics, a mother loving legend. Everything he talks about while giving a tour of the Mile High Comics floorspace is just absolutely lovely, and the story of how he purchased one of the biggest and most expensive comic collections ever is unbelievable and will probably never be recreated in the current comics market. I'm glad these videos exist.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nRbHGKT9m1g

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8N3nvTyU_Io

Some of those are probably doubles.

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!

caligulamprey posted:

I'll just kick back with a big ole grin knowing that the culture has genuinely shifted enough that the #1 song in the world is from a fully out gay rapper being as gay and Satantic as possible. :allears:

His songs suck rear end and lol at having your gimmick be "selling shoes with human blood in them". It just isn't as good a gimmick as "make good songs".

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

JollyBoyJohn posted:

His songs suck rear end and lol at having your gimmick be "selling shoes with human blood in them". It just isn't as good a gimmick as "make good songs".

Quiet, you.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Mierenneuker posted:

I once had an idea for a podcast called Nothing But Good, where you talk about all the terrible things famous people have said or done when they were still alive.

It was never going to happen in the first place, but I'm pretty sure actually doing it would lead to a steady flow of death threats. No matter how long ago the subjects died. Well actually, if you go back far enough it is very viable, because then you can call it history.

Any of the episodes about celebrities on Behind the Bastards is basically this. I knew Reagan and Segal were pieces of poo poo, I didn't know they were literal rapists (Segal might just be a sexual assaulter, not a full blown rapist).

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

JollyBoyJohn posted:

This isn't the Unpopular Opinions Thread

Carly Gay Dead Son
Aug 27, 2007

Bonus.

JollyBoyJohn posted:

Yeah he's not a talented artist but why go to the movie thread just to stir poo poo up about it? What is your deal, man!

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Why am I supposed to think Lil Nas X isn't a talented artist, again?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

1.young
2.black
3.gay