Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Plant MONSTER.
Mar 16, 2018

I was watching simpsons at 0.75 without knowing until a scene where homer and bart were getting back massages at a hotel and the noises they were making were super drawn out like a youtube poop
Makes sense, bedtime is when Mayo also allows scritches.

https://i.imgur.com/R1M6GL1.mp4

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RoboRodent
Sep 19, 2012

Sera likes scritches in the morning and in the evening.

I hold out hope of some day giving Ozzy scritches. I think sometimes he wants to but he still isn't quite comfortable with touching. His idea of "cuddly" is "I'm going to sit on the back of your chair while you're in it."

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

update re: my earlier post: Amadeus is currently making a bonanza of annoyed sounds, and trying to shove the egg out of the place where she laid it. So she can sit there.

:geno:

Eejit
Mar 6, 2007

Swiss Army Cockatoo
Cacatua multitoolii

She just recently transitioned, please acknowledge and respect her newfound trans struggles

Chaosfeather
Nov 4, 2008

LITERALLY A BIRD posted:

update re: my earlier post: Amadeus is currently making a bonanza of annoyed sounds, and trying to shove the egg out of the place where she laid it. So she can sit there.

:geno:

Glad my posts bring joy!

Ama sweetie you could sit on the egg? No? Okay well continue being annoyed at your round child then.

RoboRodent
Sep 19, 2012

Look, just because you have a functioning reproductive system does not mean you want children.

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

:hmmyes:

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

"I AINT DYING! Choo choo motherfucker!"
:toot::birddrugs::toot:

I backed a long shot Kickstarter years ago.

It came through.

I made a good choice -

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/playingcarddecks/parrot-bicycle-playing-cards-standard-and-extinct-edition?ref=user_menu

I got a numbered deck out of an initial run of 5000. But I think they kicked enough rear end to be available for general purchase soon! :derptiel:

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom Vroom, BEEP BEEP!
Nap Ghost

Captain Log posted:

I backed a long shot Kickstarter years ago.

It came through.

I made a good choice -

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/playingcarddecks/parrot-bicycle-playing-cards-standard-and-extinct-edition?ref=user_menu

I got a numbered deck out of an initial run of 5000. But I think they kicked enough rear end to be available for general purchase soon! :derptiel:

Let me know if they do, my sister would love these (her jenday conure would also likely love destroying them too)

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Should have made Parrot Tarot tbh.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

DarkHorse posted:

Let me know if they do, my sister would love these (her jenday conure would also likely love destroying them too)

I'm pretty sure clicking the "Coming Soon" link on the Kickstarter will take you to a place selling them.

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ

nielsm posted:

Or a series of bird-themed covers for Agatha Christie novels - Hercule Parrot

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

nielsm posted:

Parot Cards is right there :colbert:.

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom Vroom, BEEP BEEP!
Nap Ghost

Captain Log posted:

I'm pretty sure clicking the "Coming Soon" link on the Kickstarter will take you to a place selling them.

Don't see the parrots on there yet and i have the memory of a goldfish :negative:

NumptyScrub
Aug 22, 2004

damn it I think the mirrors broken >˙.(

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Parot Cards is right there :colbert:.

Tarrot cards

Plant MONSTER.
Mar 16, 2018

I was watching simpsons at 0.75 without knowing until a scene where homer and bart were getting back massages at a hotel and the noises they were making were super drawn out like a youtube poop
My budgies like to hang out on the shower pipe/shower head during my morning delousing but poor Mayo got a spook today and ended up flying right under the shower head and got SOAKED.

Like just completely waterlogged.

She normally hates the blow dryer but once she understood I was trying to help her she started taking it and she even put her wings and fanned her tail out so I could dry them. Terrifying and cute.

And also Pesto flew onto my shoulder from across the room

RoboRodent
Sep 19, 2012

I love a wet bird, but that's probably too wet.

I was trying to take a picture to show someone that my freckles are coming in nicely this year, and Sera photobombed me.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

Do larger birds have neophobia? My budgies will collectively poo poo themselves over most things, even if it's harmless. I bought them a bunch of new toys and they immediately took off and freaked out when I was taking them out of the bag, I had to put them in the cage for them to calm down. I was just wondering if larger birds are more chill. Is it possible to not have them be so neophobic, or is it like an ingrained budgie instinct. I don't know if it's bad habits I've formed for keeping them so sheltered, and if getting them used to new experiences would slowly iron out the irrational fear of new stuff. The only thing that rarely scares them is me, I can sneeze, cough, blow my nose, clear my throat, move my chair and they're just peachy on my knee or shoulder. But if a piece of plastic crinkles, they're gone.

I bought a mister to give them a light misting when the window is open and the sun shines through, but the pet shop sent me out a previously used one, fuckin gross. Had some weird algae on the bottom of the pump, and the hose still had some nasty water in it. Not about to spray them down with whatever the previous owner put in there. So I gotta wait a couple extra days to get a replacement, I was really excited to mist them down as Chick is fully in the swing of moulting.

Cutest new behaviour that Chick passed onto Wasabi: chilling on my finger and rubbing their cheeks on my nose, instead of me initiating. Chick absolutely loves it and'll fluff up and make the nicest happy chirrups, and Wasabi always copycats her, so he does it now too. I was alternating between the two of them for a solid 30 mins, it's like dopamine heaven over here. Chick fell asleep whilst I was doing it, and she smells like sunshine on clean clothes :allears:

Plant MONSTER.
Mar 16, 2018

Neophobia is present in most parrots but I guess Keas and Kakapos don't experience it all that much judging by youtube videos.

Budgies are supremely neophobic though. Although they pick up and learn what's safe quickly if braver flockmates interact with the new object and they see it's not harmful. Then it becomes a fight because suddenly all the budgies want to play with the new thing.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through
lmao alex does not like new stuff at all, generally, unless it is some sort of recognizable shape. these seagrass balls i bought recently get the super stinkeye

but i put seeds on new items and leave them in a place where they sit visible and after a few days usually things are fine.

Youth Decay
Aug 18, 2015

Plant MONSTER. posted:

Neophobia is present in most parrots but I guess Keas and Kakapos don't experience it all that much judging by youtube videos.

Budgies are supremely neophobic though. Although they pick up and learn what's safe quickly if braver flockmates interact with the new object and they see it's not harmful. Then it becomes a fight because suddenly all the budgies want to play with the new thing.

tbf Kakapos can't fly so being completely unafraid of anything is about their only option :parrot:

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

I've always found parrots extremely suspicious to outright terrified of new things. When I get them something new for their cage, it sets on a nearby shelf for a few days, so they can get a good look at it.

Cockatiels are worse about it in my experience.

hbag
Feb 13, 2021

cockatiels are too precious i am convinced they do not exist in the wild and were created in a lab for the sole purpose of being adorable

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

what you drinkin

RoboRodent
Sep 19, 2012

Well, Ozzy spent an hour or so as a fluffy, broody pancake on the bottom of the cage, ready to bite any interlopers. I kept an eye on him just in case, he's back to normal, there are no actual eggs.

Concerned.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

Alex the Honking Bird has passed at twenty-four years old.

This has me genuinely choked up.

https://twitter.com/AlexTheHonk/status/1386802637819895809?s=20

Hug your feathered friends and pour one out for the legend.

RoboRodent
Sep 19, 2012

Oh, poo poo.

I mean, it's not unexpected. He was quite elderly. But that's still sad.

Chaosfeather
Nov 4, 2008

What a legend.

I am comforted by the thought that his humans were there for him for pretty much the last solid year of his life as much as possible due to COVID.

Goodnight sweet potat. :honk:

The Electronaut
May 10, 2009

RoboRodent posted:

Oh, poo poo.

I mean, it's not unexpected. He was quite elderly. But that's still sad.

I actually cried a little when I read the tweet earlier.

He had some serious health issues a year or so back where she didn’t think he’d make it, and she called out the kidney issues. 24 is a heck of a run. I have two tiels, both rescues, one is 12ish and the other is 15ish, and the 12 year old was in bad shape when we got him though he is much better now. The 15 year old is a champ health wise, but the 12 year old is on twice a day gabapentin and he has a monthly Lupron injection to keep his large testicle down. He spent a week at the bird hospital back in July as well. He also has deformed feet and plucked a lot though that’s better, you wouldn’t know unless he lifts his wings these days; he’s a strong flyer. All that said, I accept he will probably not make it to 20 and I will be a wreck when he passes.

I hope Dominic, her other tiel, doesn’t take the loss of his dad too hard.

Hug the feathered friends.

The Electronaut fucked around with this message at 12:48 on Apr 27, 2021

Youth Decay
Aug 18, 2015

24 is amazing, godspeed Alex.

these last photos though oh my heart
https://twitter.com/AlexTheHonk/status/1385719547924148229

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

Captain Log posted:

Alex the Honking Bird has passed at twenty-four years old.

This has me genuinely choked up.

https://twitter.com/AlexTheHonk/status/1386802637819895809?s=20

Hug your feathered friends and pour one out for the legend.

HE SHALL HONK ETERNAL SHINY AND CHROME. :black101:

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

He was one of the most famous, beloved living parrots and twenty-four is a majestic age to leave. But I worry about his son, Dominic. I'm sure he'll be fine and I'm just projecting human bullshit onto his sweet little parrot self.

Truth be told, I've had a more visceral, teary reaction to Alex dying than my uncle a month ago. The world has been so hellish the past five years, death and destruction is expected. But when a beloved Youtube cockatiel goes, it brings back all the feelings of every parrot you've ever lost.

Man, I miss Wandy. She was a loving old lady.

(This was something like the first few days after I adopted her.)

But, I do love my newer doofus. :derptiel:

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

yeah i was a little upset about that, too, and i wasn't even a big follower.

anyway, here's some hungry hungry dinos

Qubee
May 31, 2013

Operation bird cage redesign accomplished. Putting all the toys back in has left my fingers rubbed raw from all the awkward maneuvering. The entire process was made more difficult by having these two rascals bugging me constantly to see what I was up to. Have some crisp video footage, with a corner drenched in shadow cause I forgot to remove the shirt that gives them a little cozy spot to daytime nap.

https://i.imgur.com/kXdBGRL.mp4

So compared to the previous layout, I feel like this is much less cluttered, and any clutter there is is good clutter and mainly in the corners or up against the walls. There's also a big chunk of cage in the centre that is completely open so the two can fly from either side without any problem. I've also done away with the top lengthwise perch that spanned the entire cage, and I've stuck to mainly using perches that go across the width of the cage. Gives more side to side flight opportunities. I wanted to have the perches make an ascending / descending step kinda thing so it's not such a steep flight to get from bottom to top level, but the perches just slide down until they hit the horizontal bar so they're all the same height :shrug: I repurposed their favourite seagrass net because it was ratty and hanging by literal threads, so that's now wall netting for them to get about with as I've noticed Chick prefers climbing instead of flying. PS: I know dowel perches are bad, but they're affordable. I'm slowly buying better perches and replacing them bit by bit.

Three new additions are a water bottle (which I'm not even sure if they have figured out how to use, and the wire that holds it to the cage is such a poo poo attachment option), a massive foraging pouch with shreddable paper and tonnes of hidey holes to shove treats and food in and the piece de resistance is the really nice branch thingy I got, it's got two levels and I can tell already that the top branch that's close to the roof will be their favored sleeping spot, and the lower branch is a nice daytime chilling spot that lets them get to the food bowl and toys easily. Despite spending three days letting the birds get used to the new stuff by putting it in plain view, coercing them near it with treats and leaving it on top of the cage whilst they were out, they still had neophobia when I eventually got round to putting them in the cage. Chick did her stressed pacing trying to break out, but after 30 mins she relaxed and they're having a blast with all the new stuff. Have some pics of them all tuckered out after a frenetic play session:

The one take away from today is realizing how poorly designed cages can be, cause there's barely any attachment points for toys so you're stuck with putting them either on the sides or top of the cage, and I can't put them wherever I want in those locations either because it has to be where bars cross so they get held in place, otherwise the birds will just make them slip about. I'm also dropping the branch by a few cms tomorrow cause

There are toys on both sides of the cage and lots of comfy perch spots for when Chick is a territorial monster and bullies Wasabi away, so he's got plenty of spots to fly off to and chill by his self until Chick decides to allow him to grace her with his presence. Gonna end it with Chick being cute as a button, no matter what she is doing, if I call out to her or she knows she's about to be let out to sit with me, she stops everything

https://i.imgur.com/Ecc4YSk.mp4

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
Watch the yawns start to slowly intensify until it's all out monster yawn.

https://i.imgur.com/Az6RMiz.mp4

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE
I find it very endearing that birds seem to be as susceptible to infectious yawning as humans.

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

Hannah :allears:

mikerock
Oct 29, 2005

Birds are real

mikerock
Oct 29, 2005

Also the dozen linnies I ordered haven't shown up yet, I would like to speak with a manager

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Plant MONSTER.
Mar 16, 2018

https://i.imgur.com/uNAtCEu.mp4

turn sound on and make sure to crank it up as high as it can because I was watching television in the background and the sound effects line up almost perfectly when Mayo chucks a piece of cardboard at Pesto.