Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik

Pile Of Garbage posted:

That's why you, or rather your employer/customer, pays for enterprise kit with support so that the liability is shifted up to the vendor.

This right here. Like hell if I’m gonna deal with incredibly proprietary technology that is the core of our infrastructure without someone to point the finger or have a ticket in with if something is wrong.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

devmd01 posted:

This right here. Like hell if I’m gonna deal with incredibly proprietary technology that is the core of our infrastructure without someone to point the finger or have a ticket in with if something is wrong.

Seconding this. Certain things I'll always make sure we have a good/active support contract with. And I stay chummy with our account managers so they can escalate if/when poo poo hits the fan.

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

Vulture Culture posted:

Maybe slightly worse off? We were the drivers of all those resolutions. My team and I spotted the SONAS regression by ingesting 1 TB of time series metrics on NFS mounts from a compute cluster until we found a correlation between a running job and nfslock latency and chased it with the upstream developers directly. We found the 2 TB LUN regression doing a DR test. I once reported a different storage bug to VMware in which I had the specific patch release where the bug was introduced, a description of the precise area of the code where the bug lived, and an explanation of what the logic error was, and there was no fix made available for eight months.

Vendor support is amazing for dealing with hardware logistics (I'm grey enough to remember trying to source hard drives after the tsunami wrecked all the HDD manufacturing in Thailand), and there's a lot of value in smaller sets of certified releases. But it's the farthest thing from a panacea. The vendor will still introduce software bugs they can't help you with. There will still be times where you have to do the legwork and find the fix yourself. With a vendor there might be relationships and money on the table, but here's the catch: you're always losing more money from the thing being down than what you paid for it, or you wouldn't have spent the money. The pressure will always be higher on you than the company you bought the kit from.

Quoting as it got lost at the end of the last page and Vulture Culture raises a really good point. Vendors only ever test hardware and software against a certain % of possible config/interop scenarios with the list of scenarios being sorted by how common they are. This means that for the most part the vendor's product will work as expected in a standard reference config. However the moment you start to do anything even slightly unusual you can begin to encounter issues. Also that % of scenarios the vendor tests against varies from vendor to vendor and from product to product. Cisco is a good example as they go to complete poo poo the moment you go near any of their virtual software offerings (UC and Firepower, also that one component they had which was Python and ran on Windows Server, took me a three-month TAC call to work out why it wouldn't work with our wildcard certificate).

So yeah, like Vulture Culture said support isn't a panacea because the moment you start moving into somewhat-uncommon use cases, which you inevitably will when using a product at scale, you will inevitably start encountering issues.

GrandMaster
Aug 15, 2004
laidback
You're not getting it, regardless of whether they can fix the problem, you always need someone else to point the finger at. This is blameshifting 101 and keeps you employed haha

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

GrandMaster posted:

You're not getting it, regardless of whether they can fix the problem, you always need someone else to point the finger at. This is blameshifting 101 and keeps you employed haha

Pile Of Garbage posted:

That's why you, or rather your employer/customer, pays for enterprise kit with support so that the liability is shifted up to the vendor. Imagine where you'd be if you had no vendor support in the incidents you described?

:thunk:

Edit: I was quoting Vulture Culture's post because it raised a good point in that while yeah you can defer liability and responsibility to the vendor depending on the problem you can still end up investing an extreme amount of time in helping them to reach a resolution.

Pile Of Garbage fucked around with this message at 16:14 on Apr 23, 2021

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002

Pile Of Garbage posted:

:thunk:

Edit: I was quoting Vulture Culture's post because it raised a good point in that while yeah you can defer liability and responsibility to the vendor depending on the problem you can still end up investing an extreme amount of time in helping them to reach a resolution.

This is definitely true with regards to investing time reaching a resolution but at the end of the day, in the corporate world, placing the responsibility on the vendor to provide a positive outcome is key to long-term job stability. I've identified several issues over the years, the biggest one off the top of my head was a serious SVC metromirror issue that led to data corruption. IBM released a version revision and I had a feather in my cap in the eyes of management.

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost
I wonder how many people got fired for buying IBM lmao

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002

Methanar posted:

I wonder how many people got fired for buying IBM lmao

I mean, it's a meme in IT and also absolutely true. The same could really be said for other vendors, like EMC etc.

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

Kaddish posted:

This is definitely true with regards to investing time reaching a resolution but at the end of the day, in the corporate world, placing the responsibility on the vendor to provide a positive outcome is key to long-term job stability. I've identified several issues over the years, the biggest one off the top of my head was a serious SVC metromirror issue that led to data corruption. IBM released a version revision and I had a feather in my cap in the eyes of management.

Is that not just what I said? I feel like I'm going insane here. If you just wanna post about war stories then poo poo do it no need to talk it into the convo we all love to read that poo poo :justpost:

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002

Pile Of Garbage posted:

Is that not just what I said? I feel like I'm going insane here. If you just wanna post about war stories then poo poo do it no need to talk it into the convo we all love to read that poo poo :justpost:

Yes, I was affirming what you posted.

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

What's the go with QNAP these days? Are they still a good option or have they gone to the trash? Thinking of getting one of their higher-end tower NAS devices.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

Pile Of Garbage posted:

What's the go with QNAP these days? Are they still a good option or have they gone to the trash? Thinking of getting one of their higher-end tower NAS devices.

They are decent on the low end home to mid smb market, high end units are sorta overpriced.

kzersatz
Oct 13, 2012

How's it the kiss of death, if I have no lips?
College Slice

Kaddish posted:

I mean, it's a meme in IT and also absolutely true. The same could really be said for other vendors, like EMC etc.

I dunno, my management at the end of our isilon days, I'm pretty sure would have been liquidated if they bought into the OneFS 8 bullshit emc was shilling

I'll never use another one unless it's dedicated S tier for a niche borderline turnkey use.
Anything else was begging for disaster.

CerealKilla420
Jan 3, 2014

"I need a handle man..."
I am a total data hoarder and have run out of space across the 5 3.5in drive bays and my 2 SSDs.

In order to hold myself over for the next year or so until I am able to build out a proper NAS, I pulled the trigger on a 14TB Toshiba "Enterprise" Hard Drive because I saw that there was a coupon on Slick Deals.

This is the drive.

Is there any reason this would not work in a regular PC? Just want to make sure that it does not need extra power or something.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006
Looks good to me.

CerealKilla420
Jan 3, 2014

"I need a handle man..."

H110Hawk posted:

Looks good to me.

Just got the drive - it works and it also owns

Does the amount of cache really make a difference in a non-raid consumer environment?

wargames
Mar 16, 2008

official yospos cat censor

64bit_Dophins posted:

This is the drive.

Is there any reason this would not work in a regular PC? Just want to make sure that it does not need extra power or something.

This will 100% work in a normal pc, and your pc will just see it as one big rear end drive.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

I asked this in the IT thread, but I'm going to abuse my power and cross-post because I'm interested to hear what this thread has to say as well.

What do people like for backups these days? Currently using Cohesity and I'm not thrilled with it. Have used Veeam in the past.

I think two of the requirements that seem to be difficult to get are 1) SAN integrated backups (Pure), with the ability to take a snapshot at the storage level and back up off of that, and possibly back up directly from the SAN itself and bypass vSphere 2) the ability to do a simulated restore and make sure the backup is good, checking to see if the VMware tools start up or something along those lines, and do so in an automated fashion.

Anyone used Zerto for backups and not just replication? How about Rubrik? Any others I'm missing?

[edit: Oh, and the ability to do very low RPO restores, point-in-time for databases including AAGs, for when the DBAs do something stupid.]
[edit: Buying new target storage is definitely within the budget. What we have now is currently Cohesity's hardware.]

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Really liked Veeam in the past. We are using Druva at the new place. It's pretty dumbed-down but it works.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

I've had no issues with Veeam, but I've not used it at scale, and the cost was never an issue. My backup needs are currently handled with Azure Backup which is dog slow but it's cheap and the VMs are already right there. I didn't want to have to get into a sales discussion with a vendor just to back up ~20 VMs.

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik

Bob Morales posted:

Really liked Veeam in the past. We are using Druva at the new place. It's pretty dumbed-down but it works.

Same. Thankfully I’m not the backup admin bitch so I literally have no idea how it works except for how to do a VM restore if needed.

Works great for O365 mailboxes though! I don’t think we have really advertised the capability to people even though the tile is available in Okta for people to use.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Thanks Ants posted:

I've had no issues with Veeam, but I've not used it at scale, and the cost was never an issue. My backup needs are currently handled with Azure Backup which is dog slow but it's cheap and the VMs are already right there. I didn't want to have to get into a sales discussion with a vendor just to back up ~20 VMs.

I was using MABS at my last place, replaced a stupidly outdated Carbonite EVault. MABS was.... not great. Seemed to fail so often that it couldn't even be monitored. It was fine for "free" and it integrated nicely in Azure Site Recovery, but oof.

I will say that is is very amusing to me that everyone is basically like "gently caress that, someone else handles" and some version if "it's in the cloud!" Really making me regret my life choices over here.

qutius
Apr 2, 2003
NO PARTIES
Rubrik is great, especially so if your account team is solid. They have had some shuffling on their executive level, which may or may not mean much. I have had quite a few career backup/recovery engineers land there and vow to never work anywhere else if they have a say in it.

Zerto just got bought by HPE, and is so very expensive. For certain workflows, it is an excellent product.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

Zerto is not a backup product, don’t use Zerto as your only backup product. Also, as mentioned, HPE bought them so caveat emptor.

Rubrik is good but very similar to Cohesity, but a little more polished, so depending on why you don’t like Cohesity you may also have similar problems with Rubrik.

Mierdaan
Sep 14, 2004

Pillbug
For a shop coming off a string of meh Compellent devices, who's worth comparing against these days? Nothing huge, current device is 100TB raw, file only, almost entirely VMware storage and some SQL we'll be getting rid of soon.

Obviously the vendor's pitching us on a PowerStore 1000T and some new S5224F-ON switches, but it's a Dell shop so of course they are. Raw space on their proposal is about half our current SAN, but all NVMe SSD as opposed to the SAS SSD / 7200 RPM mix we have, and relies on the PowerStore getting the stated 4:1 compression ratio they advertise as opposed the roughly 2:1 we get from the Compellent.

Any horror stories? Who else fits well in this space?

Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

Get that compression ratio guaranteed in writing if you buy from them. They assured us our Dell-EMC array would deliver 4:1 and it got the same 2:1-ish that every other array gets.

I am a happy Pure customer.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Pure or Nimble. I'm not sure I'd waste time even looking at anything else these days.

Mierdaan
Sep 14, 2004

Pillbug
Thanks guys, I'll take a fresh look at Pure and Nimble.

Our EMC vendor did say there's an agreement available to guarantee the 4:1, with some caveats that if you're storing a fuckload of video they won't honor it. If you don't get the stated ratio, they throw some free drives at you.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Internet Explorer posted:

Pure or Nimble. I'm not sure I'd waste time even looking at anything else these days.

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
Pure is the best, we haven’t had a single drat issue with them. The middle of the day controller upgrades with zero downtime is pretty cool too.

mayodreams
Jul 4, 2003

Hello darkness,
my old friend
We have Nimbles and they are great to work with.

qutius
Apr 2, 2003
NO PARTIES
Nothing much wrong with the PowerStore, either.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Dell's storage "strategy" is such a disaster that I wouldn't want to put my eggs in any of their baskets.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Dell's storage "strategy" is such a disaster that I wouldn't want to put my eggs in any of their baskets.

Which is sad because EMC used to be fantastic. Its even more confusing since Dell's server offerings and their Hyperconverged stuff is actually really decent. Dunno how they dropped the ball on their SAN stuff.

Mierdaan
Sep 14, 2004

Pillbug

I haven't been following the storage industry for years - what's so terrible about the Dell/EMC strategy?

Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

They have a strategy? I thought they just had a lot of well-intentioned reps calling people at random. Seriously, I have a Dell-EMC sales team that I have a functioning relationship with, and yet I keep getting called by Dell-EMC randos wanting to sell me storage, and I cannot understand it.

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

They seem to be working to squeeze down their storage options from like 20 to 10 (with a big focus on Powerstore), so that's progress I guess?

Langolas
Feb 12, 2011

My mustache makes me sexy, not the hat

Maneki Neko posted:

They seem to be working to squeeze down their storage options from like 20 to 10 (with a big focus on Powerstore), so that's progress I guess?

Yeah, the portfolio is way too convoluted with the merger. The strategy definitely needs to be to nuke old products and get that product list whittled down.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Yeah, that's basically what I mean by their lovely strategy. They bought a bunch of stuff and then took forever combining it all and are doing so in a super incompetent manner.

Why deal with all that when you can just get the good stuff from Pure or Nimble without the decade+ of baggage?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

There is one thing I'd like that Pure and Nimble don't sell, and that's a good vendor for low-IOPS high-capacity storage, preferably one that offers block and file in the same chassis. Other than Isilon, which doesn't do block, I haven't been really happy with any spinning storage I've bought in years. It's not like I hate it, it just feels antiquated compared to the ease of managing Pure.