Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
That's a great piece, really.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
It really is. Optimize that last 0.2 if you really want to see those gold bars, then slap a better damage talent on it and go to town.

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

Reactor: Online
Sensors: Online
Weapons: Online

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL

Shumagorath posted:

It really is. Optimize that last 0.2 if you really want to see those gold bars, then slap a better damage talent on it and go to town.

Oh poo poo I forgot about optimization. I'm guessing the better damage talent would be CHC? Or do I want damage to armour/damage out of cover to use it as an 'all rounder' damage piece and not exclusively for the Baker's?

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Morter posted:

I actually do that in tandem with Perfect Bloodsucker--which is a Belstone piece--on my Lady Death Hunter's Fury build, and it is really nice. I'm still generally squishy at first but after a couple kills i'm just running fearlessly from one mook to another while eating bullets. My second piece is a Belstone glove with increased CHD and Max weapon damage. it's so fun :getin:

Here's my "tanky" build, if I'm playing solo I use that Ceska/intimidate chest, swapping it for a Ceska/vanguard for group play. Tier 6 bulwark with the pistol out, tier5 crusader if I use the others, that self repairs with tech's hive. This build is hunter proof as you can drop the tech hive, stay close to it and be inmune to the EMP to keep the bulwark up as mobile cover for your party. The biggest downside is that, if you dislike pistols and spam click, may be a bit hard on your wrists/fingers.

Mask is Punch Drunk (20HSD) and Burn Out named FAMAS for some magdumps. TDI "Kard" Custom Pistol that I can swap the talent for whatever else.

It's a Todd Howard build :haw:

Guillermus fucked around with this message at 15:38 on Apr 12, 2021

UnknownMercenary
Nov 1, 2011

I LIKE IT
WAY WAY TOO LOUD

Edmond Dantes posted:

Oh poo poo I forgot about optimization. I'm guessing the better damage talent would be CHC? Or do I want damage to armour/damage out of cover to use it as an 'all rounder' damage piece and not exclusively for the Baker's?

You can't put armour damage or out of cover damage onto other gear pieces. It can spawn on other weapons, but for gear it is exclusive to brand bonuses (3 piece Arialdi or 2 piece Walker and Harris for DTA, nothing for DTOOC) and Contractor's Gloves/Fox's Prayer kneepads.

I would suggest changing the talent. That's an extremely good backpack; the only one that could arguably replace it would be one that rolled with crit chance attribute instead of headshot damage, but you'd have to be extremely lucky to get that as a perfect roll.

Unstoppable Force requires a lot of ramp up to get going and it won't be as effective in group play since it relies on landing killing blows. My suggested talent would be Vigilance as the PVE all rounder. If you're dead set on using Baker's Dozen exclusively, Composure synergizes well but I don't like stuff that requires you to exclusively sit in cover for the bonuses. Adrenaline Rush or Bloodsucker is good for Intimidate builds; Versatile/Clutch/Concussion for PVP, etc.

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL
Ah, thanks for the stats explanation.

I'll probably go for Vigilance, I'm not married to Baker's to the extent I'll minmax a build around it; I really like how it feels, but if I can just make an all-rounder PvE out of those pieces I have, I'm 100% going for that.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Lucky Shot is good in that as long as you’re in cover you do 100% max damage, eventually.

A Buffer Gay Dude
Oct 25, 2020
If you’re on console id highly recommend a braced chest, composure backpack and a lucky shot M1a cqb. If you use the perfect braced chest you can craft it also nets you an additional 10% WH. Then Run grupo, ceska and wAlker Harris/coyote on top of fox, and contractors

Illuminated Rodent
Oct 28, 2010
Grabbed the game during the sale, is the PS4/5 clan dead?

Also should I fret over gear/build while leveling or just embrace being a rainbow agent till endgame?

UnknownMercenary
Nov 1, 2011

I LIKE IT
WAY WAY TOO LOUD

Gear doesn't matter much til endgame. While you are still levelling yellow and blue pieces will be strongest.

HiriseSoftware
Dec 3, 2004

Two tips for the wise:
1. Buy an AK-97 assault rifle.
2. If there's someone hanging around your neighborhood you don't know, shoot him.

Illuminated Rodent posted:

Grabbed the game during the sale, is the PS4/5 clan dead?

Also should I fret over gear/build while leveling or just embrace being a rainbow agent till endgame?

The [COP] guild only has 5-6 people in it now. Jose Oquendo started the guild at game launch and purged a bunch of inactives before leaving and left me as leader. The past several days I've been playing, I've been the only one with any points at the clan area. I did accept an join request yesterday from Discord, but you'd probably best be served joining another clan. Sorry :(

Edit: I think you're the one on the Discord

Illuminated Rodent
Oct 28, 2010

HiriseSoftware posted:

The [COP] guild only has 5-6 people in it now. Jose Oquendo started the guild at game launch and purged a bunch of inactives before leaving and left me as leader. The past several days I've been playing, I've been the only one with any points at the clan area. I did accept an join request yesterday from Discord, but you'd probably best be served joining another clan. Sorry :(

Yup that's me, cheers for the invite. Sorry to hear it's not that active but for now that doesn't bother me much, just being in a clan seems to have unlocked quite a bit of stuff.

Now to focus on yellow and blue gear and work my through the game.

Referee
Aug 25, 2004

"Winning is great, sure, but if you are really going to do something in life, the secret is learning how to lose. Nobody goes undefeated all the time. If you can pick up after a crushing defeat, and go on to win again, you are going to be a champion someday."
(Wilma Rudolph)

HiriseSoftware posted:

I keep meaning to jump back into this, if I haven’t already been purged from the clan I’ll probably be in and playing sometime this week. I suck though and am still at World Tier 3 so :shrug:

Tabletops
Jan 27, 2014

anime
Expacs on sale on pc for like $8 or whatever.

Worth it? Too late? Game dead?

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
$8 sounds good just for the music

Kajikaaaa

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL

Tabletops posted:

I'd say it's worth it even if you're not gonna keep playing after you finish it. Expac has some great setpieces and NY is a welcome scenery change.

I haven't tried matchmaking so I can't comment on game being dead, been playing mostly with a friend and the odd solo jaunt, but I'm having fun. If you liked the base game you can do way worse for 8 bucks.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Tabletops posted:

The game is still well alive, you have plenty of content at max level. It also got a bunch of QoL improvements during the last year.

HiriseSoftware
Dec 3, 2004

Two tips for the wise:
1. Buy an AK-97 assault rifle.
2. If there's someone hanging around your neighborhood you don't know, shoot him.
The best thing you can do is to use the Call for Backup option, and more often than not, some max-level guy will join you and roll through your mission or whatever you're doing. And once you reach max level, matchmaking on most difficulties (especially heroic and challenging) is near instantaneous. Matchmaking for the easy version of the raids is hit-or-miss (especially for Iron Horse), but the majority of the time you'll join a raid in progress where you can't participate and are stuck in the staging area because the rest of the group is in combat.

Disclaimer: This is on PS4/5, your experience on PC may differ.

Cascadia Pirate
Jan 18, 2011
I just bought WONY for like $9 and it was very worth it.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Do you want more Division 2 and new end game numbers to chase? Then WONY is worth $8 yes. Even if the playerbase is small everything up to the raids and legendary missions can be done solo and you can usually find matchmaking for legendary, though mostly District Union Arena since it’s the shortest/easiest (for levels of difficulty in legendary).

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
My only complaint about WoNY is not having a big Dark Zone. It's absolutely worth $10.

Tabletops
Jan 27, 2014

anime
Ty!

I’m one of those weirdos that enjoys solo dark zone stuff even if there’s no pvp so hopefully that’s still cool and good!

A Buffer Gay Dude
Oct 25, 2020

Tabletops posted:

Ty!

I’m one of those weirdos that enjoys solo dark zone stuff even if there’s no pvp so hopefully that’s still cool and good!

I have some bad news in that regard

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Tabletops posted:

Ty!

Oh, there will be pvp for sure and if you are on PC you may face... Weird stuff.

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan
btw going into the DZ while levelling is funny, it just another free roam PvE with bad loot that forces you out after 8 item drops

Tabletops
Jan 27, 2014

anime
That sounds bad!

Roman
Aug 8, 2002

HiriseSoftware posted:

And once you reach max level, matchmaking on most difficulties (especially heroic and challenging) is near instantaneous.
Disclaimer: This is on PS4/5, your experience on PC may differ.
On PC most people are in Heroic.

bou
Aug 3, 2006

Two facts i found out about the current Polarity-Event:

1. A Melee attack with Sweet Dreams is still a one hit kill on not-gold Enemies regardless of polarity.
2. Ninjabike-reloads (Parcours!) does not change the polarity of your weapon.

I know none of this plays into a perfect build, but maybe you could score some points at trivia night with this information.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

A sweet dreams is a problem solver for a lot of global events in fact. It ignores all of their effects in terms of damage reduction if I remember right.

Ghost of Starman
Mar 9, 2008
So I'm one of the weirdos still playing The Division 1, because I got it for super-cheap in a bundle somewhere. Super-dead, of course, but that doesn't bother me so much; I'm mostly enjoying taking back NY as a solo operative so far. But, uh... it's starting to feel a little same-y, I guess? And I'm only Level ~15 out of 30 - does it get more interesting with endgame builds and such? And/or will I not really have the opportunity to participate in endgame stuff if the playerbase is completely dead, and I should just move on to Division: The Seconding if I want more?

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Ghost of Starman posted:

So I'm one of the weirdos still playing The Division 1, because I got it for super-cheap in a bundle somewhere. Super-dead, of course, but that doesn't bother me so much; I'm mostly enjoying taking back NY as a solo operative so far. But, uh... it's starting to feel a little same-y, I guess? And I'm only Level ~15 out of 30 - does it get more interesting with endgame builds and such? And/or will I not really have the opportunity to participate in endgame stuff if the playerbase is completely dead, and I should just move on to Division: The Seconding if I want more?

What's your platform? I can't speak for a lot of people but I think there's at least a few people out there that still have it installed on PC at least. Including me if that wasn't obvious. I just do the occasional Survival game but I think I remember how to play other things!

Anyways things do eventually get more interesting as levels go up and gear gets more specialized but because everything still moves pretty fast there isn't really any opportunity to make an end-game build until after level 30... and unfortunately also after a 5 level world tier climb. There is a skip for the world tier climb though. If you join the game of someone already at world tier 5 and let them do all the killing all the loot that will drop will be from world tier 5 and you can grab yours and they'll share you theirs and then all you need to do is put that on and bam, you're in world tier 5 now. Once you're there is when you can focus on stats and talents.

The hardest end game content would unfortunately be mostly be cut off from you without a group though as its basically built for 4 people. There are some extremely powerful (and time consuming to make) builds that can get through the hardest difficulty missions where the goal is to just kill everything without dying but most of the incursions (raid equivalents) have mechanics that require more than 1 person to progress. But like I said there might be some people around who can be persuaded to maybe do a few runs.

All that said this is still a looter shooter so doing stuff to get better things so you can do the stuff again (but harder) is the name of the game.

Ghost of Starman
Mar 9, 2008
Oh, cool, I'm on PC too.

I guess some of the same-y-ness comes from feeling like I already have the best skills for solo-use; the turret does a great job of drawing enemy fire off of me, and the self-heal lets me conserve medkits for emergencies. Oh, and the scan for hunting down treasure. Am I overlooking anything really good, or are most of the other skills intended more for people working in teams?

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Ghost of Starman posted:

Oh, cool, I'm on PC too.

I guess some of the same-y-ness comes from feeling like I already have the best skills for solo-use; the turret does a great job of drawing enemy fire off of me, and the self-heal lets me conserve medkits for emergencies. Oh, and the scan for hunting down treasure. Am I overlooking anything really good, or are most of the other skills intended more for people working in teams?

Unless you’re into skillpower a lot of the skills can feel like that. They get better even with no skillpower the further into the game though some of the time that’s just because they noticeably make number to go higher. As for other skills to use...

It’s easy to overlook (and I forget what it’s called exactly) but the sticky bomb that’s a flashbang grenade is also really good because if I remember right the stun effect duration is not affected by skillpower, only the radius and the recharge time, so anything you hit is always blinded for 10 seconds or something like that. It’s a good way to open a fight against enemies crowding around each other or to lock down a big enemy for a bit of time.

If you’re ever in a fight that is throwing status effects around the support box that makes you immune to them while you’re in the radius is good too. It won’t heal you for much at all though.

This is for later on but when you unlock all the medical wing upgrades you’ll get a permanent perk for all the support box variants that heals any friendlies in the radius for 33% health when you manually cancel it. So this leads to two things which make it better for solo healing than than the First Aid skill once you get all the upgrades:
1) The healing is percentage based (as opposed to First Aid’s number amount) so it will heal more than a First Aid at low skillpower
2) The cooldown for the support box is shorter than the First Aid.

The only downside is that it takes slightly longer since you need to put it down and then cancel it to get healed but as long as you’re in cover this won’t ever matter.

The pulse for finding boxes in the open world, Dark Zone, and missions is briefly useful but since the loot boxes for weapons and armor don’t ever respawn and the ones in the DZ are always in the same spots once you find something it kind of stops being useful in short order. The pulse mod that gives you 5% more damage against scanned targets is eventually much more useful in PVE once you know where the loot is or already found it.

I think the Discord is in the first post and if there’s anybody else with Division 1 still installed that’s where you’ll find them quicker (including me again).

UnknownMercenary
Nov 1, 2011

I LIKE IT
WAY WAY TOO LOUD

The support station cancel heal got nerfed a while ago; you have to wait out at least half its duration IIRC before cancelling to get any heal off of it. That said, I would also still suggest using support station over first aid unless you're grouped with a dedicated electronics player.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Oh right the healing you get scales with how long it’s been active (active longer = more health). I don’t remember or if there was even any mention of how the scaling works. But yeah if you put it somewhere you expect to be (or are just going to stay in one spot) I’d say it’s still better than First Aid at higher levels with only basic skillpower.

Oh also don’t ignore the player talents, the kind you can equip 4 of and unlock by building wing upgrades. Some of them aren’t very good but others are actually quite useful.

Jolo
Jun 4, 2007

ive been playing with magnuts tying to change the wold as we know it

I just finished up the normal game and unlocked World Tiers and specializations. I'm reading mixed answers to the question of whether to jump right into Warlords of NY or to advance through World Tiers. It sounds like the World Tiers let you advance through better gear but then that stuff ends up replaced right away in NY as you go from 30-40.

Any specific stuff to do in DC before NY? Is the world tier stuff unique and non-repeatable or worth skipping?

A Buffer Gay Dude
Oct 25, 2020
Don’t do world tiers

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Jolo posted:

I just finished up the normal game and unlocked World Tiers and specializations. I'm reading mixed answers to the question of whether to jump right into Warlords of NY or to advance through World Tiers. It sounds like the World Tiers let you advance through better gear but then that stuff ends up replaced right away in NY as you go from 30-40.

Any specific stuff to do in DC before NY? Is the world tier stuff unique and non-repeatable or worth skipping?

The world tiers is basically the way to introduce you to actual end game gear, fighting the Black Tusk, and what the world map is going be for the rest of the game. There’s basically no story in the invaded missions (besides “Black Tusk being evil, stop them”) until you clear all the invaded missions and faction strongholds to unlock Tidal Basin, Black Tusk’s stronghold. Tidal Basin is decent although the final boss can be a son of a bitch.

There’s also the 3 sets of off map story missions - White Oak/Manning Zoo, Pentagon/DARPA, Coney Ballpark/Amusement Park. The Coney Island missions do lead directly into WONY but the others are more standalone and kind of wrap-up some of the loose ends left over from the main missions, though hardly all of them.

My advice is usually start the world tiers climb and if you start getting bored just use the boost and head to New York. Optionally you can use the boost, do Tidal Basin (this will require doing 1 stronghold and it’s connected invaded missions) and the off map missions, and then go for New York. The missions don’t change and you can do them later though.

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

:ninja:
Gift for the grind, criminal mind shifty

Swift with the 9 through a 59FIFTY
I can't overstate how much I love Div 2's rapid sidearm deployment

https://i.imgur.com/YpMnmOn.mp4

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

F O L K S