Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
How many quarters after Q1 2016 till Marissa Mayer is unemployed?
1 or fewer
Her job is guaranteed; what are you even talking about?
View Results

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

Mister Facetious posted:

Remember when the Danganronpa thread was put behind the paywall and the internet lost its poo poo.

It should never be forgotten, especially since it led to cosplay of the forums themselves.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

duz posted:

Indeed, that's the one that just happened in Houston the past week. No one in the driver's seat, drove into a tree and exploded.

I don't understand how this works, physically. Either these bozos are starting the car and then skooching over into the passenger or god fuckin forbid back seat, or some psychopath is starting the car, setting it in motion and then jumping?? What the gently caress

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
does Jeff still use pure rng to put the paywall up and down?

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

duz posted:

It should never be forgotten, especially since it led to cosplay of the forums themselves.

What on Earth is happening here.

America Inc.
Nov 22, 2013

I plan to live forever, of course, but barring that I'd settle for a couple thousand years. Even 500 would be pretty nice.
Are there any projects out there trying to archive YouTube videos? There's so much genuinely useful information on YouTube, seriously, but YouTube itself isn't a good archiving tool. Users can delete videos, they can close their accounts, videos might get copyright striked etc.

It's weird to imagine in maybe 20 years a lot of the videos we see on YouTube might be gone, if the platform still exists.

I guess this is a general problem with digital media and the websites that host them.

America Inc. fucked around with this message at 23:42 on Apr 21, 2021

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

adoration for none posted:

Are there any projects out there trying to archive YouTube videos? There's so much genuinely useful information on YouTube, seriously, but YouTube itself isn't a good archiving tool. Users can delete videos, they can close their accounts, videos might get copyright striked etc.

It's weird to imagine in maybe 20 years a lot of the videos we see on YouTube might be gone, if the platform still exists.

I don't think there is. And tons of videos are already gone.

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.

Senor Tron posted:

They're wearing a shirt of the "You aren't logged in and can't read this" screen, while waving ten dollars around.

Because they couldn't read a let's play without an account, and that was worth getting that mad about.

e: lol, they even put the Danganronpa mascot bear on the fake money.

Foxfire_
Nov 8, 2010

Senor Tron posted:

Back in the day, there was a high-effort LP of the first Dangan Ronpa game long before any of them were localized. The person doing it was translating as they went and it was the only english-language source for the plot

The game is a murder mystery thing and reading the LP was popular with non-goons. When paywall went up while it was running, there was freakouts in various internet corners and a bunch of stuff like tumblr people sharing accounts that got banned, etc... The picture is a group costume of various characters from the game + one person dressed as the paywall

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion. It is by the juice of Java that pedaling acquires speed, the teeth acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion.

I guess this is a general problem with digital media and the websites that host them.

Any iOS app that hasn't been updated in 3 or so years is dead. Won't run on the recent operating systems.

I keep an old iPad retro so I can run the 32bit apps.

It easier for people to run games I wrote for the TRS-80 and the Apple II (via the Internet Archive) than stuff I designed 6 years ago.

America Inc.
Nov 22, 2013

I plan to live forever, of course, but barring that I'd settle for a couple thousand years. Even 500 would be pretty nice.

VideoGameVet posted:

Any iOS app that hasn't been updated in 3 or so years is dead. Won't run on the recent operating systems.

I keep an old iPad retro so I can run the 32bit apps.

It easier for people to run games I wrote for the TRS-80 and the Apple II (via the Internet Archive) than stuff I designed 6 years ago.

On the upside we don't have to worry about apps polluting the ocean, maybe just our attention

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

On the upside we don't have to worry about apps polluting the ocean, maybe just our attention

So glad I've never signed up for Twitter.

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

Senor Tron posted:

https://youtube.com/watch?v=rUpcl_P9ZTw

https://youtube.com/watch?v=v9cqtaKQLwA

Doggles
Apr 22, 2007

evilweasel posted:

the other obvious argument for a third-party is "you claim to have made an AI that can safely* drive by itself* ... but can't make an AI to tell if there's actually a human in the driver's seat?"

It's even easier to trick a Tesla into thinking there's someone in the driver's seat than I thought!

https://twitter.com/ConsumerReports/status/1385260821324914690

It doesn't even check if there's any weight in the seat. Only that the driver's seatbelt is buckled, and that there's a little bit of resistance to the steering wheel's movements.

We're absolutely going to see "hands-free self-driving" kits sold by third parties along the same lines as those "seat belt alarm stoppers."

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
the bottle opener is a little bit tooo on the nose

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Yeah, how are you supposed to crack open a cold one while fooling the computer at the same time?

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Detective No. 27 posted:

Yeah, how are you supposed to crack open a cold one while fooling the computer at the same time?

The bottle opener part isn't what you insert, so just put the bottle down low and twist!

Ethics_Gradient
May 5, 2015

Common misconception that; that fun is relaxing. If it is, you're not doing it right.

Detective No. 27 posted:

You don't even need one, those D-shaped latches for the car door are perfect bottle openers already. Just open the door, crack your stubby, and enjoy.

I discovered this when we were at a campground, my mates added the "do it while the car is being driven" aspect to it. No open container laws in the state we were doing the roadtrip in :australia:

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE

archive.org does some, but not automatically as far as I know (that is they only archive clips if you request archival, AFAIK).

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

duz posted:

the sort of person who can spend $25 on a t shirt and $250 on costumes but can't put down $10 on an account

Booourns
Jan 20, 2004
Please send a report when you see me complain about other posters and threads outside of QCS

~thanks!

i am harry posted:

the sort of person who can spend $25 on a t shirt and $250 on costumes but can't put down $10 on an account

It was a joke

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

Booourns posted:

It was a joke

Poe's Law gonna Poe.

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

It's definitely a mindset, same with people who spend thousands on a gaming PC and refuse to play games that aren't cracked

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
That one specifically was becasuse there was a goon doing a live-translation LP of some animu game, at a time when no other translations of the game existed.
Lots of kids on tumblr who were into the dangan ronpa fandom wanted to lurk the forums to read it, and probably didn't have their parents' credit card.

packetmantis
Feb 26, 2013
loving lol at calling it "some animu game" and then naming it in the same post.

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

Booourns posted:

It was a joke

oh i see it is a good joke and it makes much more sense with Foxfire_'s explanation which i definitely didnt read right underneath your post which I read

Doggles
Apr 22, 2007

https://twitter.com/verge/status/1385716656379420674

poemdexter
Feb 18, 2005

Hooray Indie Games!

College Slice

This is my nightmare. Imagine thinking literally any software on earth is infallible. Jesus Christ.

enki42
Jun 11, 2001
#ATMLIVESMATTER

Put this Nazi-lover on ignore immediately!
Basecamp, the perennial "we aren't like those lame VC companies, we're the cool progressive tech company" decided to pull a Coinbase and say, yes, we are actually like those lame VC companies.

https://world.hey.com/jason/changes-at-basecamp-7f32afc5

My favourite bit is how they're doing everyone a favour by getting rid of those 'paternalistic' benefits and helping everyone out by eliminating all that pesky fairness and accountability in reviews, or employees getting together to discuss things or have opinions on politics.

Less Fat Luke
May 23, 2003

Exciting Lemon
So their CTO can constantly tweet and go on podcasts about politics during work including amplifying Glen loving Greenwald but now the actual workers can't discuss politics. Nice.

enki42
Jun 11, 2001
#ATMLIVESMATTER

Yeah, that's the most ironic part, DHH is the definition of "talk politics at work", to the point that I question whether he does anything else.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!
The rules don't apply to the boss, and presumably it's not politics if you're agreeing with the boss.

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

suck my woke dick posted:

The rules don't apply to the boss, and presumably it's not politics if you're agreeing with the boss.

Obviously, that's just common sense discussion.

Less Fat Luke
May 23, 2003

Exciting Lemon
Also:
https://twitter.com/katienotopoulos/status/1386756281109819400

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

"That's right. We've evolved."

"I can see that. Cool mutations."

Doggles posted:

It's even easier to trick a Tesla into thinking there's someone in the driver's seat than I thought!

https://twitter.com/ConsumerReports/status/1385260821324914690

It doesn't even check if there's any weight in the seat. Only that the driver's seatbelt is buckled, and that there's a little bit of resistance to the steering wheel's movements.

We're absolutely going to see "hands-free self-driving" kits sold by third parties along the same lines as those "seat belt alarm stoppers."

You speak about those "hands-free self-driving" kits sold by third parties as though they aren't already a thing.

https://www.amazon.com/accessories-Counterweight-Autopilot-Automatic-Assisted/dp/B08MWFV44S
https://www.amazon.com/Yahom-Counterweight-Autopilot-Accessories-Automatic/dp/B091GBP13K/

Edit: actually this is a fantastic tech nightmare confluence of Tesla and Amazon working together to kill people.

quote:

Question: Umm... This is highly illegal to use this on your car... The seller knows this right?
Answer: Do not buy this item if you think it's illegal where you live. Also don't set autopilot to 5 mph above speed limit.
By Dr. Nerd on March 31, 2021

quote:

Very easy to install, just has magnets and holds on that way. Blends in well to the design. Quiets the constant reminders to hold the wheel. Makes full self-driving actually self-driving!!!!

quote:

This thing just works, period!!!
All Tesla Model 3/Y owners with FSD must buy this to enjoy FSD w/o the stupid intervention required by the Tesla sw every 10 seconds.
But, this is not for idiots who will go to sleep or not be prepared to take over as required.
Totally recommend for sensible and safe drivers.

quote:

if you own a. tesla this is a MUST HAVE. that annoying white line is gone now. we really got autonomous driving with this.

Lead out in cuffs fucked around with this message at 21:31 on Apr 26, 2021

America Inc.
Nov 22, 2013

enki42 posted:

Basecamp, the perennial "we aren't like those lame VC companies, we're the cool progressive tech company" decided to pull a Coinbase and say, yes, we are actually like those lame VC companies.

https://world.hey.com/jason/changes-at-basecamp-7f32afc5

My favourite bit is how they're doing everyone a favour by getting rid of those 'paternalistic' benefits and helping everyone out by eliminating all that pesky fairness and accountability in reviews, or employees getting together to discuss things or have opinions on politics.

I actually agree with the removal of 360 reviews, they often are just a performative exercise where you don't get much meaningful feedback about what you're doing because you're asking people to remember that time you worked with them 3 months ago on some project. Then you meet with your boss and make up some BS goals for the year that you aren't actually tasked to accomplish.

The banning of political discussion is bad, and I bet the company doesn't have any ERGs. What if you're in a minority group and you find you're getting underpaid, where's your support network? Is it "political" to suggest hiring practices might be racist/affected by bias?

E: basically, it's a willful denial of reality to believe that you can simply isolate politics out of the workplace when issues like systemic racism and sexism are omnipresent and unconscious.

America Inc. fucked around with this message at 00:10 on Apr 27, 2021

enki42
Jun 11, 2001
#ATMLIVESMATTER

The banning of political discussion is bad, and I bet the company doesn't have any ERGs. What if you're in a minority group and you find you're getting underpaid, where's your support network? Is it "political" to suggest hiring practices might be racist/affected by bias?

The answer is in the blog post, and it's apparently "talk to the white lady in HR":

quote:

The responsibility for DEI work returns to Andrea, our head of People Ops

(I know that ERGs aren't exactly the same thing as all DEI, but in a company as small as basecamp I'd be shocked if there was any additional resources available for employees).

The 360 thing on it's own isn't a big deal, but it definitely feeds into the whole picture of "we're just going to call the shots and you can all get back to work and stop having opinions".

enki42 fucked around with this message at 00:17 on Apr 27, 2021

Foxfire_
Nov 8, 2010

poemdexter posted:

This is my nightmare. Imagine thinking literally any software on earth is infallible. Jesus Christ.
It's not even them thinking it's infallible, another arm of the UK Post Office knew that it was broken and was manually remotely fudging accounts to try to work around bugs.

This has an anecdote from one of the hearings where the software doesn't enter a transaction in an account, they use an admin account to enter an unmatched entry, gently caress it up and create a $1000 discrepancy, then never tell the postmaster responsible for the account that anything was changed at all

Doggles
Apr 22, 2007

https://twitter.com/TeslaTunnel/status/1386749512702734341

That whole video is worth a watch:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Ozx5R-P9zM

:piss:

Beelzebufo
Mar 5, 2015

Frog puns are toadally awesome

Watching Tesla driving videos gives me anxiety every time. Just watching the car decide to turn into traffic or run red lights would be enough for me to never, ever trust it again.

What is wrong with these people.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Beelzebufo posted:

Watching Tesla driving videos gives me anxiety every time. Just watching the car decide to turn into traffic or run red lights would be enough for me to never, ever trust it again.

What is wrong with these people.

It's fine, the car is AGILE!