Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

I am the sexiest poster in the world!

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

I haven't seen MK2021 but i'm gonna stop you right there: no

MK95 Kano is one of the better parts of that movie. MK2021 Kano is so good he completely steals the movie and all I ever wanted was to see more of this character who was giving the most interesting performance in the movie by a metric ton (with only Scorpion in the intro coming remotely close).

I seriously can't think of a better example of one character completely outshining the rest of the cast and the movie in general that they're in than Kano does here. Ironically enough since it's also based on a fighting game, one lesser example that immediately comes to mind of that happening is Raul Julia in Street Fighter, but goddamn I felt like Josh Lawson did it so much more than Raul Julia did.

For the sequel give way more characters that fun Kano-style energy, bring Kano back with the same actor, and bring in Johnny Cage as douchey hollywood Kano and I don't see how you can go wrong. I give a lot of the "Kano Rocks" credit to the actor, but some of that is definitely the writing/directing as well, so I hope they take that into account more in what I, as an MK fan, hope are many sequels.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

NowonSA posted:

MK95 Kano is one of the better parts of that movie. MK2021 Kano is so good he completely steals the movie and all I ever wanted was to see more of this character who was giving the most interesting performance in the movie by a metric ton (with only Scorpion in the intro coming remotely close).

I seriously can't think of a better example of one character completely outshining the rest of the cast and the movie in general that they're in than Kano does here. Ironically enough since it's also based on a fighting game, one lesser example that immediately comes to mind of that happening is Raul Julia in Street Fighter, but goddamn I felt like Josh Lawson did it so much more than Raul Julia did.

For the sequel give way more characters that fun Kano-style energy, bring Kano back with the same actor, and bring in Johnny Cage as douchey hollywood Kano and I don't see how you can go wrong. I give a lot of the "Kano Rocks" credit to the actor, but some of that is definitely the writing/directing as well, so I hope they take that into account more in what I, as an MK fan, hope are many sequels.

Sold.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

NowonSA posted:

Ironically enough since it's also based on a fighting game, one lesser example that immediately comes to mind of that happening is Raul Julia in Street Fighter, but goddamn I felt like Josh Lawson did it so much more than Raul Julia did.
I mean Raul Julia was literally dying and could barely stand up, so he was really giving it his all

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
I definitely got the sense at the end, most of the dead characters would return for future sequels.

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

I will also accept a MK movie that is somehow all Kanos. Or give him a cloning gimmick in the sequel just to get the maximum amount of Kanos on the screen.

Give me the "Sub-Zero's brother" story angle but with Kano's brother who is played by Josh Lawson and is still basically the same character but more of a good guy somehow.

Also I read this:

https://www.cinemablend.com/news/2566226/mortal-kombats-kano-one-liner-hbo-max-josh-lawson-sonya-blade

and I rescind the credit I gave the writing/directing team. Put Josh Lawson on the writing staff and let Mortal Kombat be his version of Ryan Reynolds' Deadpool, please and thank you.

The United States posted:

I mean Raul Julia was literally dying and could barely stand up, so he was really giving it his all

True, and that absolutely showed! It's kind of a distinction of Julia doing a great job of stealing a movie and Lawson doing a super great job, in my mind.

NowonSA fucked around with this message at 21:26 on Apr 23, 2021

uXs
May 3, 2005

Mark it zero!

Gavok posted:

It also leads to one of the stupidest moments I've seen in a movie in recent memory. All the chosen warriors have what amounts to mutant powers that need to be unlocked through whatever dramatic moment. Liu Kang has fire, Kano has a laser eye, Kung Lao has... his razor hat. Anyway, after Jax gets his arms shattered, some Shaolin monks replace them with skinny prosthetics. He has metal arms, but they're like bones and look pathetic. When he has a dramatic moment where he needs to save Sonya, his powers kick in via his skinny metal arms suddenly transforming into bulky cybernetic arms. That's his innate ability. What the gently caress?

Really? Made perfect sense to me.

I mean, you have Kano suddenly shooting a laser out of his eye, Sonya eventually gets her magic ring shooters, why not have Jax magically upgrade his weak-rear end arms? I thought it was actually really clever.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

NowonSA posted:

I will also accept a MK movie that is somehow all Kanos. Or give him a cloning gimmick in the sequel just to get the maximum amount of Kanos on the screen.

Mortal Kombat: Kano Origins

e: Mortal Kombat 2: More Kano

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK fucked around with this message at 21:33 on Apr 23, 2021

uXs
May 3, 2005

Mark it zero!

MacheteZombie posted:

I definitely got the sense at the end, most of the dead characters would return for future sequels.

Yeah, the 'death is just another portal' line made that really obvious. Still, some characters might have more of a chance than others. Like Kano just needs some kind of metal plate in his face (what a coincidence!), while Reiko needs a completely new head.

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

I agree with uXs, though I've admired many a Gavok post since we share similar interests in wrestling and comics. The rules for the powers are basically "I dunno get motivated enough and you'll unlock whatever your weird powers are in the games" which is some weak writing in general, but which was plenty of justification for me and at least gave some explanation for the various powers/abilities we saw in the movie.

As to what Gavok brought up, I think Jax getting weak arms and Arcana-ing into strong arms is actually some of the best writing in the movie, and a good subversion of expectations. If you know the games or watched a trailer, as soon as Jax gets those arms popped you're expecting him to just get robot arms attached and be handed (pardon the pun) a new source of strength. Instead, he gets arms and hands that are barely functional and he has to draw on his own innate gifts to power them up into gently caress-off robot muscles. MK fighters as basically x-men isn't ideal, but once you establish that reality I think they did an okay job with bestowing the powers and a great job with Jax considering how him gaining his arms has been portrayed in other MK media.

uXs posted:

Yeah, the 'death is just another portal' line made that really obvious. Still, some characters might have more of a chance than others. Like Kano just needs some kind of metal plate in his face (what a coincidence!), while Reiko needs a completely new head.

Yep, We got some swirly effects around at least sub-zero and Goro, so I'm expecting them to pop up again. I sure wouldn't turn down a Noob Saibot vs. Scorpion fight, with scorpion losing and setting up a tiebreak for movie 3. And now that you brought it up, of course Kano's getting the faceplate over his injury and probably using a full cybernetic laser-eye now that he's died and been brought back by one of the 10 different bullshit resurrection methods MK has.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

This movie is very dumb but I had a lot of fun. So really, a perfect mortal Kombat movie.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
Marked out when liu kang showed up

Archer666
Dec 27, 2008

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

Mortal Kombat: Kano Origins

e: Mortal Kombat 2: More Kano

MK3: The Quest For Even More Kano

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
Kano was always underappreciated
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B8bVVYuy4HU

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

NowonSA posted:

I seriously can't think of a better example of one character completely outshining the rest of the cast and the movie in general that they're in than Kano does here.

Have you seen Venom?

As for Sub-Zero 2.0, I expect Kuai Liang to be the Sub-Zero counterpart of Cole, only he'd rather protect the world than side with the invaders/ancestor for personal gain. If they go with that, the whole Cole concept pays off.

Arthur Bowlsworth
Dec 5, 2003

Wot wot, old boy. Might one have a toke?
At least they redid the piss-poor "Get over here!"

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

The REAL Goobusters posted:

Marked out when liu kang showed up

He's cast so perfectly. It's like they grew him in a lab from one of the video game files.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

I didn't even hate Cole. He's inoffensive for most of the movie and he's got a cool enough gimmick that I wouldn't mind seeing him as dlc for MK11.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
This movie is so stupid. But it’s fun. I wish we didn’t have Cole cuz he’s just boring but whatever I guess

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

I'd put Lawson's outshining here above Hardy's outshining in Venom, though that's another good example. Some of that may be recency bias, and I do give some extra credit since I hadn't seen him in anything before and he put the movie on his back when he didn't have to, whereas Hardy was #1 on the call sheet and it was absolutely his job to carry Venom.

Also, I've been heaping on the Lawson/Kano praise but it's not like the rest of the cast was terrible or anything. They just didn't really get the time to develop their characters, and Cole who got the most time was stuck with generic protagonist stuff. Everybody was getting screwed by the writing and editing, but Lawson just seemed to have that attitude to me of a guy who saw a chance to act his rear end off and improv up good lines in a project that I think a lot of people involved had to realize had some weaknesses and wasn't going to blow too many people's minds.

NowonSA fucked around with this message at 22:24 on Apr 23, 2021

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
Just finished the movie and it ends with the theme remake in the credits. Hell yeah lmao bring on the sequel

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

The REAL Goobusters posted:

This movie is so stupid. But it’s fun. I wish we didn’t have Cole cuz he’s just boring but whatever I guess

Should've just replaced Cole with Liu Kang and his badass backstory about killing child traffickers.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

Should've just replaced Cole with Liu Kang and his badass backstory about killing child slavers.

Literally everyone else in this movie could have easily replaced Cole as main character

discoukulele
Jan 16, 2010

Yes Sir, I Can Boogie
I enjoyed this a lot more than I thought I would. I'm definitely looking forward to seeing where they go with this, especially since there was no Kitana :smith: and surely she's gonna be making an appearance next time.

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

I can confirm that the theme remix during the credits is a banger. I hope they try to create the next big MK jam in the sequel.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Vince MechMahon posted:

I didn't even hate Cole. He's inoffensive for most of the movie and he's got a cool enough gimmick that I wouldn't mind seeing him as dlc for MK11.

I quite liked the idea of his ability, just wish the visuals were handled better. drat thing looks like just some painted bodysuit rather than an actual piece of armour.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Arthur Bowlsworth posted:

At least they redid the piss-poor "Get over here!"

They should have straight up used the game audio for that which is Ed Boon’s voice.

Fartington Butts
Jan 21, 2007

Xenomrph posted:

They should have straight up used the game audio for that which is Ed Boon’s voice.

Thank god you put that in a spoiler tag.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

This was an absolutely terrible movie with some neat fighting and cool guy Kano.

Maybe if there's a sequel they could actually do a tournament called Mortal Kombat. Would be absolutely wild.

Harlock fucked around with this message at 23:53 on Apr 23, 2021

ShowTime
Mar 28, 2005

Harlock posted:

This was an absolutely terrible movie with some neat fighting and cool guy Kano.

Maybe if there's a sequel they could actually do a tournament called Mortal Kombat. Would be absolutely wild.

If there is a MK2 it will most assuredly be about the tournament. The plot of this movie was kind of smart in the sense that it lets them do a bigger movie about the actual tournament. The tournament for this movie never took place but will have to be very soon. MK2 would basically start right after the events of this movie as they get ready for the tournament and gather other allies. Which is weird, because Liu Kang said he'd already gathered all the champions. Makes you wonder how they know about Johnny Cage.

The other big thing that didn't make sense takes place at the very beginning: why didn't Scorpions arcana manifest if he was chosen?

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I lik d it, didn't love it. I wouldn't say this kano is better, just does as good as a job. He had the mannerisms down perfect too in that everyone else was kung fu flipping and crap but he was just kinda walking.

This sonya was better than the last one l, my only complaint with the movie really is:

the costumes were too big. raidains hat didn't sit right and sub zeros face mask was too big. just looked goofy.

But yes I wish there was cameos for m what's left of the original movies cast.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Oh I was going to make a post about a half hour into the movie saying that they need to stop trying to take mortal kombat seriously and to make the movies more like Deadpool, not in the comedy sense but in the "oh wow they actually did that" sense of outlandish. But luckily the movie does this when it introduces Kano and it immediately gets better.

As Nero Danced
Sep 3, 2009

Alright, let's do this

Empress Brosephine posted:

Oh I was going to make a post about a half hour into the movie saying that they need to stop trying to take mortal kombat seriously and to make the movies more like Deadpool, not in the comedy sense but in the "oh wow they actually did that" sense of outlandish. But luckily the movie does this when it introduces Kano and it immediately gets better.

Agreed, watching it now and Kano was an instant improvement.

unnecesarry edit: I cannot overstate how much of a delight Kano is.

As Nero Danced fucked around with this message at 01:03 on Apr 24, 2021

Ghislaine of YOSPOS
Apr 19, 2020

Every new loving movie that comes out on hbo max gives me error 420 when I try to stream it in 4k.i wasn't that mad about justice league or king Kong but this is the last God drat straw. I'm going to throw a bitch fit!!!

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

God this was loving stupid and some godawful fights that are on par or worse than MK1. What a complete waste. A movie based on a game all about fighting and its cut to poo poo. loving hollywood.

Give me this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dlaUtMVbmI0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E5icIRfBUik

Not the crap in this movie.

Also... I thought it would be way more violent? We get snippets of the ultra violence but then it's back to just PG-13 fights.

3/10 - 3 points for Kano who, as everyone has said, makes this movie watchable.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
It was certainly an interesting decision to accrue an entire cast of people who know how to make fake fighting look good, then cut and sweep a lot of the fights like you're dealing with.....not that cast.

As Nero Danced
Sep 3, 2009

Alright, let's do this
On the whole it had a lot of potential, and had moments of brilliance where it recognized that potential, but a lot more where it didn't. Hope they channel the same kind of fun that Kano had into Cage in the next movie

They should get Stephen DeKnight from Spartacus and Daredevil to do the sequel. He knows how to do fight scenes.

e: Also I am not seeing where they almost got NC-17 in this. Hell I don't even see where they got an R, other than some of Kano's dialog. Ok the Kung Lao surfing Nitara into the buzz saw hat was pretty great, but on the whole it felt like a very safe movie.

As Nero Danced fucked around with this message at 01:48 on Apr 24, 2021

Rainbow Knight
Apr 19, 2006

We die.
We pray.
To live.
We serve

i expected them to just rehash the last few games instead of start fresh, but oh well i guess. anyone who gives a poo poo about a mortal kombat movie doesn't need any kind of weird midichlorians bullshit to understand why kung lao can throw a hat. like, god drat.

also, i don't mind cgi blood, but you could tell the quality of the movie right at the beginning when scorpion wasn't covered in blood after killing half a dozen ninjas.

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

Yeah I dunno, aside from the opening scene I didn't feel like there were any genuine moments of interesting fight choreography. IMO Paul Anderson's MK has a ton of moments that work on that level and I think it's drastically better.

I was pretty disappointed. I have no real interest in overarching MK lore or canon or whatever, so to me I'm not impressed by any reason you come up with to have a Mortal Kombat movie where the Mortal Kombat tournament doesn't even freakin' happen. Cole Young ended up extremely lame to me, and it felt like the movie was contorting itself to justify his presence way more than I expected. His suit was not interesting, and he did not do any cool poo poo at all (as far as I recall) with his tonfa + blade combo.

I feel teased by the marketing about how it almost became NC17 or something. This feels far more like an obviously PG-13 movie that was "gored up" to make sure it got the R.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
I dont want to be too harsh because it's McQuoid's first big film (as far as I can tell), a lot of the problems feel inherent to the script, and there's a lot to like....but he definitely needs to improve on how to shoot and edit fight scenes. There's the confusing and choppy modern way for when you're dealing with 40-50 year old superstars who could never pull out an impressive fight scene, but thats not what you should imitate when you have 20-30 year old athletic fake-fightsmen.

It was smart of them to release that opening scene and tease the Subs vs Scorps fight, because that is definitely the best part of the film and exuded a lot of confidence that the film doesn't really live up to.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Just a reminder if you want to watch MORTAL KOMBAT with goons, I will be streaming this to the CineD Discord tonight at 9PM central. Movie chat will be in the #snack-snyders-slyders channel (please remember to mute your mic if you plan to join the stream, thanks!)

I'll also be hosting a scener room for those who have access to HBO Max and want to watch/chat along.