Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BooDooBoo
Jul 14, 2005

That makes no sense to me at all.

https://fi.somethingawful.com/images/gangtags/severancemdr.gif

packetmantis posted:

...is this why Lorne in Buffy was green?

Sort of, he was "The Host" first, then they had to give him a name so...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Whoa whoa whoa back that up a second

:yikes:

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Data Graham posted:

Isn't this the plot of anime TV series?

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Data Graham posted:

We already said it was about space Mormons.

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

The dialectical struggle of history has always, essentially, been a question of how to apply justice to matter. Take away matter and what remains is justice.
Which of the characters smoke weed and how do they smoke

CainsDescendant
Dec 6, 2007

Human nature

Avasarala gets loving blasted every weekend with Arjun (rip) out of a hookah or fancy bong. Something elaborate, pretty, and wasteful.

Alex got banned from trying to make edibles because the process was messy and always managed to stink up the whole dang ship.

You just know Miller had a vape pen, to go with the hat

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

tokin opposition posted:

Which of the characters smoke weed and how do they smoke

Starbuck's dad smokes gigantic loving green cigars all the time
Oh, also Starbuck

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR

CainsDescendant posted:

lmao

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

CainsDescendant posted:

Kraftwerk
Aug 13, 2011
i do not have 10,000 bircoins, please stop asking

I just finished season 5 and I don't know what I can watch now that has me as engaged as this show.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

old-BSG "Fire In Space": just a wild guess here, The Towering Inferno made a lot of money didn't it

Erulisse
Feb 12, 2019

A bad poster trying to get better.
"I will make my own expanse thread, with black jack and starbuck!"

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

All right, I'll shut up

BrotherJayne
Nov 28, 2019

Data Graham posted:

All right, I'll shut up

Huh. I've always kinda wanted to watch the newer one and maybe play that tactical game. Which way to the main thread?

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Data Graham posted:

old-BSG "Fire In Space": just a wild guess here, The Towering Inferno made a lot of money didn't it

It was the top grossing movie of 1974.

Let that rattle around your brain for a minute.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I started reading the first book, and its easy to visualize the tv cast as I read the book. Though it means i'm picturing show Naomi was being 7ft tall and rail thin. It does not describe Miller that way though, so i figure because he has lived all his life on Ceres he doesn't have the normal appearance of a more hardcore Belter.

And Holden is XO of the Canterbury at the start of the book, which makes me wonder what they hell the point is having Jonathan Banks be the bonkers XO at the start of the show. Was there going to be a point to it and they decided not to keep that storyline, or did they think he would bring people into the show?

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

The dialectical struggle of history has always, essentially, been a question of how to apply justice to matter. Take away matter and what remains is justice.

twistedmentat posted:

I started reading the first book, and its easy to visualize the tv cast as I read the book. Though it means i'm picturing show Naomi was being 7ft tall and rail thin. It does not describe Miller that way though, so i figure because he has lived all his life on Ceres he doesn't have the normal appearance of a more hardcore Belter.

And Holden is XO of the Canterbury at the start of the book, which makes me wonder what they hell the point is having Jonathan Banks be the bonkers XO at the start of the show. Was there going to be a point to it and they decided not to keep that storyline, or did they think he would bring people into the show?

My guess? It was an improvement on the book, as an early example of Things The Canterbury Meant To Holden & Friends to make its inevitable explosion mean something more. Makes you more sad to imagine people other than Holden's Whitewashed Ex dying, gives a little world building that Earthers can go weird in Space, and gives Holden his first character arc of taking responsibility sempai.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

tokin opposition posted:

My guess? It was an improvement on the book, as an early example of Things The Canterbury Meant To Holden & Friends to make its inevitable explosion mean something more. Makes you more sad to imagine people other than Holden's Whitewashed Ex dying, gives a little world building that Earthers can go weird in Space, and gives Holden his first character arc of taking responsibility sempai.

Oh yea that makes total sense.

And yea I was kinda taken aback, because the Expanse is so fantastic with diversity in its cast, that his fuckbuddy she explicitly said to be Nigerian and in the show she's just some white lady.

And yea, you have the Captain, XO, her and the guy who got his arm torn off to established the Cant and and her crew.

CainsDescendant
Dec 6, 2007

Human nature

Also, in the show Holden starts off as much more of a reluctant leader; him trying to turn down the XO badge because of the responsibility it represents is a big part of his early characterization. Book Holden is a lot more gung ho about the whole affair from the start. It almost feels like he's been waiting to get his hands on a gunship so that he can start righting all of the system's wrongs, from what I recall.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

twistedmentat posted:

Oh yea that makes total sense.

And yea I was kinda taken aback, because the Expanse is so fantastic with diversity in its cast, that his fuckbuddy she explicitly said to be Nigerian and in the show she's just some white lady.

And yea, you have the Captain, XO, her and the guy who got his arm torn off to established the Cant and and her crew.

They deliberately changed her ethnicity for the show because they didn't think the optics of killing off a black woman as the first major character death sat well anymore.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know

PriorMarcus posted:

They deliberately changed her ethnicity for the show because they didn't think the optics of killing off a black woman as the first major character death sat well anymore.

I thought it was also in part to make it so that Holden didn't have a "type" in that he only went after black women.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Both those make sense. And Holden really is like a lovesick puppy with her. He's all "you are my sun and my stars" and she's all "yea dude, i just wanna gently caress, so stop getting weird".

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro

Data Graham posted:

All right, I'll shut up

I've actually enjoyed your takes as you move your way through. Couch Chat Thread is a great place for stuff like that if making a rewatch thread just for you is :effort:.

It's been fun reading along as you go through the episodes and seeing all of these bits of cultural floatsam going by!

PriorMarcus posted:

swickles posted:

I thought it was also in part to make it so that Holden didn't have a "type" in that he only went after black women.

Por que no los dos?

I would imagine the official reason is the former, but that the latter was discussed as also potentially having bad optics. I am guessing that they gambled (correctly) that the diversity of the show's main cast would stave off any criticism from whitewashing the dead girlfriend.

twistedmentat posted:

Both those make sense. And Holden really is like a lovesick puppy with her. He's all "you are my sun and my stars" and she's all "yea dude, i just wanna gently caress, so stop getting weird".

Holden's always been a bit clingly...it's why Naomi has to sneak off every time she wants to do some Belter-poo poo. :ironicat:

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro
well :rip:

https://twitter.com/jamessacorey/status/1385684874422407168?s=21

Kraftwerk
Aug 13, 2011
i do not have 10,000 bircoins, please stop asking

Man the expanse is like a really bad tobacco addiction. No amount seems to satisfy me but I always want more. It’s gonna suck when season 6 ends in a single binge watch weekend.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I really hope the rumors of doing some movies is true.

Though 6 seasons IS pretty good. Its only one season less than TNG or Ds9.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know

twistedmentat posted:

Six seasons and a movie! Also, those DS9 and TNG seasons had 26 episodes each.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

TNG has 178 episodes and 4 movies so not that comparable. I wonder how terrible The Expanse would be with 178 episodes. Naomi would be stuck on that ship for 50 episodes in a row.

Dalael
Oct 14, 2014
Hello. Yep, I still think Atlantis is Bolivia, yep, I'm still a giant idiot, yep, I'm still a huge racist. Some things never change!

Mu Zeta posted:

TNG has 178 episodes and 4 movies so not that comparable. I wonder how terrible The Expanse would be with 178 episodes. Naomi would be stuck on that ship for 50 episodes in a row.

Please don't turn The Expanse into Naruto

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

Dalael posted:

Please don't turn The Expanse into Naruto

You're thinking of DBZ. The Expanse as Naruto would be Holden and Marco teaming up at the end with their unique abilities to harness the protomolecule to fight Christian God residing in red space.

wilderthanmild
Jun 21, 2010

Posting shit

Grimey Drawer

Eej posted:

You're thinking of DBZ. The Expanse as Naruto would be Holden and Marco teaming up at the end with their unique abilities to harness the protomolecule to fight Christian God residing in red space.

The Expanse being like a JRPG would be pretty fun.

First Quest: Mine Some Ice(In Space!)
Final Quest: Kill God(In Space!)

twistedmentat posted:

I'd much rather it end at 6 than burn out with too many seasons. When a series falls apart, it kills even the parts I liked before that for me.

6 and a movie would be pretty great.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

swickles posted:

Six seasons and a movie! Also, those DS9 and TNG seasons had 26 episodes each.

I think that only about 10 episodes a season of any of those were on the quality level of Expanse.

More book vs show differences I find interesting, Holden actually contacts Pur and Kleen offices on what to do after the Cant is blown up and they tell him to meet up withe Donnager. The show has the Donnager just showing up, which i think is better to create a sense of mystery and tension in the show, because maybe Mars is behind things, but it also makes sense in the book where they actually contact their employers.

twistedmentat fucked around with this message at 23:05 on Apr 24, 2021

TommyGun85
Jun 5, 2013

wilderthanmild posted:

The Expanse being like a JRPG would be pretty fun.

First Quest: Mine Some Ice(In Space!)
Final Quest: Kill God(In Space!)

Everyone knows the first quest of a JRPG is to kill rats in a sewer.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I certainly perefer the end of the Donnager in the show over the book, one of those improvements they went with is as I mentioned, keeping the tension going by not having Mars's goals clear, and also putting Holden on the bridge so you know what's going on. In the book they're all just stuck in the room and then boom, dead Shed and holes in the wall. Though the book gives more meaning to the marines sacrifice to get Holden and the rest to the Tachi.

Do I have the books right, book 1 ends with Eros crashing on Venus, book 2 ends with the thing coming out, book 3 is just the stuff on Illus? book 4 is all Marco all the time?

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY
The one part of the Donnager fight in the show that really bugs me is how slowly Our Heroes move as they run across that exposed gantry bridge to the soon-to-be-Rocinante and how exposed they are to fire from above, below, basically every direction. It seemed insurmountingly, yet somehow also inconvincingly, lethal, and overall just felt clunky and not-cool.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Kesper North posted:

The one part of the Donnager fight in the show that really bugs me is how slowly Our Heroes move as they run across that exposed gantry bridge to the soon-to-be-Rocinante and how exposed they are to fire from above, below, basically every direction. It seemed insurmountingly, yet somehow also inconvincingly, lethal, and overall just felt clunky and not-cool.

Yea In the book there is a bunch of Power Armor marines with them and one of them goes to distract the Protogen troopers by firing in such a way that it looks like there are more than one. This distracts them enough that the main characters get across the bridge, but the LT gets hit with a RPG.

I do like Holden having an internal monolog about how in space, boarding actions were risky, because you had to gamble on if the ship you're boarding is going to just blow themselves up rather than be captured, and the first, and only time, he met Yao, he knew she would not be the one to blink.

Though i am still a bit confused how the Protogen ships were able to take on the Donnager. Were they just that advanced, that their stealth capabilities were that good that the Donnager crew weren't able to use its firepower to its maximum effectiveness?

CommanderApaul
Aug 30, 2003

It's amazing their hands can support such awesome.

twistedmentat posted:

I certainly perefer the end of the Donnager in the show over the book, one of those improvements they went with is as I mentioned, keeping the tension going by not having Mars's goals clear, and also putting Holden on the bridge so you know what's going on. In the book they're all just stuck in the room and then boom, dead Shed and holes in the wall. Though the book gives more meaning to the marines sacrifice to get Holden and the rest to the Tachi.

Do I have the books right, book 1 ends with Eros crashing on Venus, book 2 ends with the thing coming out, book 3 is just the stuff on Illus? book 4 is all Marco all the time?

Book 3 is the slow zone, book 4 is Ilus, then we get Marco.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

twistedmentat posted:

Though i am still a bit confused how the Protogen ships were able to take on the Donnager. Were they just that advanced, that their stealth capabilities were that good that the Donnager crew weren't able to use its firepower to its maximum effectiveness?

Yeah, the Donnager was not able to detect the Protogen ships at long range and was stripped of most of its PDCs and its ability to respond by the initial attack. The stealth gunships were a still-classified project designed to be invisible even to modern ships of the line such as Donnager, that's why their very existence was destabilizing, let alone the protomolecule. (I still wonder if the magic stealth tech was protomolecule-derived, since the stuff is so energy-hungry.)

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

CommanderApaul posted:

Book 3 is the slow zone, book 4 is Ilus, then we get Marco.

How'd I forget the slow zone stuff?

Kesper North posted:

Yeah, the Donnager was not able to detect the Protogen ships at long range and was stripped of most of its PDCs and its ability to respond by the initial attack. The stealth gunships were a still-classified project designed to be invisible even to modern ships of the line such as Donnager, that's why their very existence was destabilizing, let alone the protomolecule. (I still wonder if the magic stealth tech was protomolecule-derived, since the stuff is so energy-hungry.)

That makes sense. The one Anubis class that does get hit is obliterated by the Donny's railgun. I don't think they were using protomolocule in any way before Eros, and even then it only seemed to be used to make the hybrids.

twistedmentat fucked around with this message at 02:12 on Apr 28, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommanderApaul
Aug 30, 2003

It's amazing their hands can support such awesome.

Kesper North posted:

As Yao said, "I didn't think we could lose." Hubris that they were the biggest, baddest navy in the system. Reminds me a bit of the Millennium Challenge combat exercise.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Millennium_Challenge_2002