Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

ilikedirt posted:

Will i hate the bendis run even if i actually enjoy brian michael

I like his other work too, I just don't think he's a good fit for Supes. Your mileage may vary.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
It's very hit or miss. There's definitely scenes and beats and issues where it's Bendis at his best (the scene where Clark takes Lois to see the singer-songwriter who lives on their block because he can't help overhearing her practice when he goes out on patrol is super sweet, for instance) but it also lets him indulge some of his weaknesses that he seems to have a blindspot for (like having the big alien conspiracy to cover up Krypton's real reason for being blown up act like a literal PTA meeting. Not figuratively, literally having loving Guardians of Oa talk about having to go to their niece's Bat Mitzvah and poo poo)

I'd say yeah, the Tomasi stuff or maybe wait for the upcoming Tom Taylor Superman.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

Tomasi is the best modern Superman run in my opinion, but Bendis has a few great moments in a sea of mediocre ones. Honestly, just start will All Star Superman, Superman For All Seasons, or Red Son. Superman Shazam First Thunder is excellent too.

All great and really capture the character well. Superman being a Dad is great in the Tomasi stuff, and everything feels good and has a pleasant time. Bendis aging Jon up to do a bad Legion book is the worst thing he has done at DC (so far!).

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
Mark Waid and Leinil Francis Yu's Superman: Birthright is a really good retelling of his origin, it probably doesn't exactly jibe with what's supposed to be his origin now, but it's close enough.

frodnonnag
Aug 13, 2007

Parallax posted:

my first thought when seeing the Shazam cover was those Cerebus in Hell covers which do the exact same thing

Am i so broken that my first thought was that mlp in the holocaust picture?

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

frodnonnag posted:

Am i so broken that my first thought was that mlp in the holocaust picture?

lol, yeah you're broken.

Vincent
Nov 25, 2005

Space_Butler posted:

They also announced a Shazam 4-issue limited series for July and hot drat I love this variant cover, it reminds me of The Lighthouse. DC is starting to get weird again and I love it.

That's really thematically awful as a cover for a Shazam book, but it's an ok collage.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

ilikedirt posted:

Will i hate the bendis run even if i actually enjoy brian michael

I generally love Bendis, and it's awful.

CitizenKrang
Jan 2, 2005
this town needs an enema

How Wonderful! posted:

That's a cool homage to a really great Doré!

I don't have much of an idea about what recent Shazam stories have been all about but this definitely has me intrigued.

I thought those skeletons looked familiar only to realize that it's not the first time they've been referenced on a DC cover.

edit: I can't seem to get the image to work, but check out Stephen Bissette's cover for Swamp Thing Annual #2!

CitizenKrang fucked around with this message at 16:41 on Apr 23, 2021

Speak
Jul 20, 2001

"Education Professional" model Doombot
I am a big Bendis fan, but the best part of Bendis Superman was all of the ancillary titles written by anybody but Bendis were the best part of the Bendis Superman run. Jimmy Olsen, Lois Lane, Wonder Twins, and Dial H for Hero were all wonderful in their own ways.

Regardless of how you feel about Superman revealing his identity, this is a great page of comics, though.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Speak
Jul 20, 2001

"Education Professional" model Doombot
(of course the attachment showed up on the first post after I reposted it. Sorry, everybody.)

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

How’d that turn out? Seemed like a huge deal until it happened, and then nobody cared. Does everyone know Lois is Mrs Superman? Is the integrity of the Daily Planet completely shot?

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Open Marriage Night posted:

How’d that turn out? Seemed like a huge deal until it happened, and then nobody cared. Does everyone know Lois is Mrs Superman? Is the integrity of the Daily Planet completely shot?

Perry immediately fired Clark. And then rehired him as kind of a brand ambassador. Oh and Jimmy owns the Planet now cuz he's distantly related to Lex and thus has a bunch of Luthor money.

Yannick_B
Oct 11, 2007

It turned out pretty well! The way Superman's life is set up, his identity being revealed is not as earth-shattering/a big ole bunch of problems the way Daredevil's was.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I hate it. Bring on the next reboot.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

There were a few issues laying out some of the legal ramifications like conflict of interest stuff, but it was smoothed over partially due to the weight of Superman's own integrity in the public eye. As far as Lois being Mrs. Superman, it was already known by villains that targeting Lois Lane would earn the ire of Superman for some reason and the assumption was that they were a thing before she married Clark Kent. Once the reveal happened (and after a "scandal" of pics being leaked of her kissing Superman), everyone was basically "oh, that all makes sense now."

The Daily Planet was bought by a person running a criminal org in Metropolis, I forget the broader reason at this point, but eventually Jimmy Olsen bought it out after his own fortune was decimated by his brother (read the Jimmy Olsen comics, it's great) and it turning out the Olsens are distant relatives of the Luthors and therefore have access to the Luthor fortune. Under Jimmy's threat of basically draining the whole thing because he legally had as much control over it as Lex, they basically split it and agreed not to interfere with each others' money.

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

X-O posted:

Well that's an instant buy. As long as they do away with this notion of Jon Kent being a possible villain down the road.

EDIT. Wow this cover is rad. Love the suit.

Stephen Byrne did an awesome variant cover too.

https://twitter.com/StephenByrne86/status/1384921465087307779

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

Sorry for the double post, but I don't want to put two tweets in the same post.

https://twitter.com/Velosassraptor/status/1385666195077074945

I thought it was weird when Batman had to collect 400 rings before he could face Riddler, but now it all makes sense. :newlol:

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

JordanKai posted:

I thought it was weird when Batman had to collect 400 rings before he could face Riddler, but now it all makes sense. :newlol:

Sorry, give me a moment, I'm having Arkham flashbacks.

If I never pick up another loving Riddler Trophy it'll be too soon.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

catlord posted:

Sorry, give me a moment, I'm having Arkham flashbacks.

If I never pick up another loving Riddler Trophy it'll be too soon.

What about Enigma Packs...

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Thanks I hate it.

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

Do I even want to know???

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
went from meta to what the kids these days are calling cringe

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?
I've never read a Brother Power the Geek comic (probably because it lasted like, two issues), but he is apparently on the Love Syndicate of Dreamworld so I'm gonna say please don't do him dirty.

Gaz-L posted:

What about Enigma Packs...

What about gently caress you?

:v: honestly, I 100%'ed the Riddler trophies in Asylum, City, and Knight, but Origins I just couldn't.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

What is that even from?

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

I love when the best option in a poll gets the least amount of votes.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

I can't think of a bigger indictment of that era of comics than Geoff Johns' popularity.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
The fact that van Sciver wasn't dead last is also damning. But jesus yes, Rucka and Manapul on JLA?

David D. Davidson
Nov 17, 2012

Orca lady?
Also Jim Lee on two of those creative teams.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Gaz-L posted:

The fact that van Sciver wasn't dead last is also damning. But jesus yes, Rucka and Manapul on JLA?

I don't understand what people see in van Sciver's art. Even setting aside who he is, his art just looks so painfully generic.

Splint Chesthair
Dec 27, 2004

Roth posted:

I don't understand what people see in van Sciver's art. Even setting aside who he is, his art just looks so painfully generic.

For a lot of people “realism” is the most important thing about comic book art. The more characters look like computer-rendered marble statues, the better.

The only praise I’ll give that guy is that I liked the effort that went into giving each GL their own distinct look to their constructs. Although I think that was a gimmick that eventually faded away after several issues.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Roth posted:

What is that even from?

The recent Inferior Five maximiniseries by Giffen and Lemire. It was originally gonna be 12 issues as shown on the first two issues, but it got cancled at issue 4 months before the Pandemic and only recently got finished up.

here's an article from some blog about some of the issues it had
https://fantasymerchant.com/2020/01/19/comic-book-case-study-why-inferior-5-failed/

Edit: In other series, Robin feels a bit like the start to a battle shonen manga and if the influences to it weren't obviously they even have this page

Damian reading RomCom manga :3:

Xelkelvos fucked around with this message at 01:47 on Apr 28, 2021

Siegkrow
Oct 11, 2013

Arguing about Lore for 5 years and counting

Roth posted:

...would you rather have Greg Land?

Karma Tornado
Dec 21, 2007

The worst kind of tornado.

I mean, are those the only two options

did everyone except the cyber frog guy and Greg Land get in a tragic accident

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

You take Greg Land 100 out of 100 times.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

I believe in all the ways that they say you can lose your body
Fallen Rib
I wouldn't say I hated EVS before it was cool. Reading Green Lantern (mostly Corps and Sinestro Corp War) and his artwork is fine. It is mind blowing and it isn't bad. I will never buy a book by him now and I think he is a terrible human being who has pretty much destroyed his own career but I think there are also worse artists out there that are also much better people than EVS as well

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

I still like the cover to Flash: Rebirth #1 a lot, and he did the SEX issue of New X-Men. That unnamed artist did have some fun stuff in the past.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters
I haven't caught up on Inferior Five, but if anyone gets a pass for dipping too hard into the meta/fourth-wall breaking well after a book of theirs gets messed over I feel like it's Keith Giffen, he's been doing that/having that done to him for going on four decades.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas
Speaking of which, I recently bought a house and my mom is about to retire and itching to do work on her own house, so over the course of my last couple sporadic visits to see my parents I've been finally clearing out and packing up all my childhood poo poo, including whatever comics that were not already donated or given away. It's been fun to go through and sort all this stuff I hadn't physically looked at in years, but one of the real treats was revisiting all of the 80s/90s Ambush Bug stuff. I don't think Giffen's pencils were ever prettier than in the Nothing Special.