Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

floating 26" off da ground. BURR!
Maybe Criterion just does movies w/ dead directors from now on??

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VoodooXT
Feb 24, 2006
I want Tong Po! Give me Tong Po!
Checked the screencaps on DVDBeaver and the film's color palette just looks more natural now. As for the cropping, the frames are tighter and maybe they could have a bit more breathing room and head room so there aren't haircuts but I have no idea if that was the original framing from the original theatrical presentation.

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

You're quite good at turning me on.

When will Criterion stand up to these tyrannical film directors?!

Liar Lyre
Jun 3, 2011

Here to deliver
~Bad Opinions~

It’s not that big of a difference, I can live with it. Like it’s a noticeable change, but it’s not something that dramatically changes the movie. Wong Kar Wai this ain’t.

Brexit the Frog
Aug 22, 2013

what i’m wondering is why they didn’t try and bring the source book back into print

cvnvcnv
Mar 17, 2013

"People who alter or destroy works of art and our cultural heritage for profit or as an exercise of power are barbarians,” he said. “[And] if the laws of the United States continue to condone this behavior, history will surely classify us as a barbaric society."

Cacator posted:

When will Criterion stand up to these tyrannical film directors?!

More like, when will Congress?

Calamity Brain
Jan 27, 2011

California Dreamin'

Yeah I'm not sure if the new one looks better but surely we're not taking the original Universal transfer as gospel, right?

VoodooXT
Feb 24, 2006

DetoxP posted:

Yeah I'm not sure if the new one looks better but surely we're not taking the original Universal transfer as gospel, right?

People still talk about Bluray color timings not being right based off VHS tapes so

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

The Criterion disc picture looks like they took a 1.66:1 film and stretched it to 1.85:1

Something is definitely off there.

Reminds me of this BD that took a 1.66 ratio film and stretched it to fit 16:9
http://www.dvdbeaver.com/film/DVDCompare/daughters.htm

Wizchine
Sep 17, 2007

Television is the retina
of the mind's eye.
Yeah, Fast Times looks fine to me - the original picture makes everyone look sunburned or something. The cropping is minor - not like it went from 1.85:1 to 16:9 or something.

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!
I think people are on edge after the Wong fiasco. Criterion transfers have always varied, sometimes wildly, when left to the whims of the original dp/director. I remember being miffed about how desaturated Days of Heaven looked compared to older transfers. It's way less warm for a movie renowned for its golden hues, so much so that Criterion put an article out at release that was basically like "Yeah, we know. Blame Terry."

LionYeti
Oct 12, 2008

Does anyone know who owns the rights to Hard Boiled and/or why there isn't a bluray criterion of that. I need Chow Yun-Fat shooting dudes in slow motion in the best possible quality.

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?
The cropping isn't that bad, and I think people forget that cropping is pretty common in films. It's not like there's any significant things being cut off. Oh no, I can't see as much of the pizza boxes as I could before! Also, the criterion looks better composed at the top compare to the universal, where it's not as tight.

In terms of colors, the criterion looks a little too desaturated and cold, but the universal looks a little too hot. Neither is perfect.

Plus, I think these things stand out when you look at them back to back. If you didn't do the comparison, would it have bother you?

People gotta complain I guess.

Liar Lyre
Jun 3, 2011

Here to deliver
~Bad Opinions~

LionYeti posted:

Does anyone know who owns the rights to Hard Boiled and/or why there isn't a bluray criterion of that. I need Chow Yun-Fat shooting dudes in slow motion in the best possible quality.

The last release was from Dragon Dynasty. With everything that happened with Weinstein I don’t know if Dragon Dynasty got scooped with Miramax for Paramount or not.

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

Is it safe to say that we can at least trust that Criterion won't ever go rogue and do something crazy with a transfer of their own volition? Or has that happened before?

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Cemetry Gator posted:

If you didn't do the comparison, would it have bother you?

Slight cropping could go unnoticed but I hate when they stretch the picture so that it makes things look wider. Everyone and everything looks slightly too wide.

Now I'm guessing the vast majority don't even notice it unless it's the extreme 1.33 to 1.78 but I am cursed to.

Kull the Conqueror
Apr 8, 2006

Take me to the green valley,
lay the sod o'er me,
I'm a young cowboy,
I know I've done wrong
The backseat colorists are on the prowl

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

Origami Dali posted:

I think people are on edge after the Wong fiasco. Criterion transfers have always varied, sometimes wildly, when left to the whims of the original dp/director. I remember being miffed about how desaturated Days of Heaven looked compared to older transfers. It's way less warm for a movie renowned for its golden hues, so much so that Criterion put an article out at release that was basically like "Yeah, we know. Blame Terry."

Oversaturation in that film would ruin the complexity and variance of color they originally worked so hard to capture with natural light. The reason it's considered so beautiful is because you can see so many different yellows and pinks and blues in a single frame of sunset, not that the shots in the film pop off the screen with intense saturation.

LionYeti posted:

I've been waiting for this myself, and I'm sincerely hoping that the Bruce Lee and Jackie Chan releases portend an eventual rerelease of HB.

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth

Spatulater bro! posted:

Is it safe to say that we can at least trust that Criterion won't ever go rogue and do something crazy with a transfer of their own volition? Or has that happened before?

I mean, maybe the few non anamorphic discs left in the collection without upgrades? Those should really be replaced where possible.

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

Cloks posted:

I mean, maybe the few non anamorphic discs left in the collection without upgrades? Those should really be replaced where possible.

And I wouldn't really call a 1998-era non-anamorphic transfer all that crazy, as it was standard practice at the time.

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?

Zogo posted:

Slight cropping could go unnoticed but I hate when they stretch the picture so that it makes things look wider. Everyone and everything looks slightly too wide.

Now I'm guessing the vast majority don't even notice it unless it's the extreme 1.33 to 1.78 but I am cursed to.

I honestly don't see why geometric distortion. Is there something I'm missing? Because everything is a little bigger, it might be harder to tell.

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Cemetry Gator posted:

I honestly don't see why geometric distortion. Is there something I'm missing? Because everything is a little bigger, it might be harder to tell.

Yeah, everything looks slightly elongated. Certain scenes it's not very noticeable but at certain points the faces and objects look unnaturally shaped.

Normal:
http://www.dvdbeaver.com/film3/dvd_reviews53/daughters_of_darkness_/daughters_of_darkness_BU2DVD_cap04.jpg

Slightly stretched:
http://www.dvdbeaver.com/14/daughters_of_darkness_4K_UHD_/1080_04_daughters_darkness_4k_blu-ray.jpg

Lots of stuff here looks abnormal. But I'm guessing some won't notice the differences.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

I'll take the 4K remaster supervised by the director over the old overprocessed HD master from 15-20 years ago.

pospysyl
Nov 10, 2012

Criterion Channel subscribers, make sure you catch Spike Lee's Bamboozled before it leaves the service this month. Starts out as a satire of black representation in media, but it evolves into something much, much darker, almost a horror film.

pospysyl fucked around with this message at 19:10 on Apr 27, 2021

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth

pospysyl posted:

Criterion Channel subscribers, make sure you catch Spike Lee's Bamboozled before it leaves the service this month. Starts out as a satire of black representation in media, but it evolves into something much, much darker, almost a horror film.

also, if you're an insane collector in the precise way i am, spike lee sells signed copies of it from his website

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

LionYeti posted:

Well if you want it on Blu Ray, you can always pick up a PS3 copy of John Woo's Stranglehold

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
Ooh sweet: A Touch of Zen and The Fate of Lee Khan on the channel in May

Kart Barfunkel
Nov 10, 2009

So I’m happy the Satyajit Ray collection is up on the site. I’ve already seen the Apu trilogy, The Big City, Charulata, and The Music Room. Loved them all. Where do I go from here?

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

they're doing 30% off all May for some reason.

VoodooXT
Feb 24, 2006

Gripweed posted:

Probably trying to stay afloat

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

VoodooXT posted:

Why would they be in trouble? They do streaming and home video releases, they very rarely do new releases so the slow down in movie production wouldn't effect them. Criterion was very well positioned to weather Covid.

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth

Gripweed posted:

they did it last year and I'm guessing 30% off for a month is probably a good way to get people to talk themselves into buying a few things

i know it's going to work on me

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

After seeing Chungking Express last week and it was the new cut, I think I might grab Memories of Murder. I know it’s similarly controversial with its color retouching, but I’ve never seen it and I’ve heard it’s a hell of a movie.

Thoughts?

John Romero
Jul 6, 2003

John Romero got made a bitch

VoodooXT posted:

goddamn the only thing consistent in my nearly 20 years on this dead gay forum is goons not understanding if companies or people are doing well financially

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer

Boywhiz88 posted:

After seeing Chungking Express last week and it was the new cut, I think I might grab Memories of Murder. I know it’s similarly controversial with its color retouching, but I’ve never seen it and I’ve heard it’s a hell of a movie.

Thoughts?

Do it.

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

I did it.

RE: Chungking, I think the use of Dreams is supposed to be one of the controversial changes. Like in a previously silent scene. But I kinda liked it. I thought it was a juxtaposition of California Dreamin’. A romantic dream, vs a dream of somewhere else.

I had no idea what the movie was going in to the theater, so the shift from part 1 to part 2 threw me off a bit. But overall, great!

Boywhiz88 fucked around with this message at 22:30 on May 3, 2021

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Kart Barfunkel posted:

So I’m happy the Satyajit Ray collection is up on the site. I’ve already seen the Apu trilogy, The Big City, Charulata, and The Music Room. Loved them all. Where do I go from here?

I haven't seen them yet but I know these two are well-regarded:

The Hero (1966)
The Stranger (1991)

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

John Romero posted:

goddamn the only thing consistent in my nearly 20 years on this dead gay forum is goons not understanding if companies or people are doing well financially

Yep Criterion's doing just fine.

Nerdietalk
Dec 23, 2014

I bought Yi Yi just a few weeks too soon, drat, I coulda justified getting the blu-ray.

I say that before I no doubt end up getting an Eclipse set I've been eyeing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

Kart Barfunkel posted:

Devi
The Calcutta trilogy (Jana Aranya, Pratidwandi, Company Limited)
Days and Nights in the Forest
Ghare-Baire
Sonar Kella
Sadgati
The Hero
The Stranger