Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Maxwell Lord posted:

And we’re back to “the Ink Witch and Arduak yell at each other and Snout tells them to shut up”.

The comic is lapping itself.

I'm amazed that it can lap itself without having gone anywhere in the first place.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bismuth
Jun 11, 2010

by Azathoth
Hell Gem

Midnight Voyager posted:

I'm amazed that it can lap itself without having gone anywhere in the first place.

Its the comic equivalent of an ant mill

skeleton warrior
Nov 12, 2016

This comic is a flat circle.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

There's a lot of offensive trash through this whole thing but assuming mute and deaf are the same thing is pretty high up there with the tag alerting the world that the author is a piece of poo poo

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Bismuth posted:

Its the comic equivalent of an ant mill

In nearly two years all we learned was that Dominic did something to make magic "weaker" in the dream realm of faceinabath. We do not know why he did this, we do not know why the characters of Legacy care about this or what they will do about it.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Maxwell Lord posted:

And we’re back to “the Ink Witch and Arduak yell at each other and Snout tells them to shut up”.

The comic is lapping itself.

You can't see it but the cover of the book had the dream symbol for "endings".

Beelzebufo
Mar 5, 2015

Frog puns are toadally awesome

Two Thief or not Two Thief: Part 1

I think the overriding theme for this arc is going to be Mookie's inability to write characters who are nuanced or gray in any way. Because bumper is the honorary Deegan in this case, even what he is doing notionally "bad" things, will be because of coercion and will never really be any moral conflict in him. Also, you can tell he's the honorary Deegan because he gets a back story with famous people in his family.

This is fairly okay as a set up, but doesn't really gel with anything we've seen from Stunt and Bumper to this point. I don't mind the idea of street magic being sort of extension of thievery, but it just speaks to the lack of forethought for a lot of character story arcs.

Here's where we start getting sort of stupid though. Stunt is a thief though I guess he likes chaos? It's to such a stupid thing to have him complain about, not the jackboot of the law, but how lame and orderly things are. It's a sort of binary thinking that Mookie has where people hate cops not because the constant force a legal order that they are opposed to (rightly or wrongly), but because they oppose the concept of law and order in general. Also I just don't get how this dynamic is set up, that these people can repeatedly fall afoul of the sheriff who apparently doesn't have any personal connection to them, and not be kicked out or sent to prison or whatever in this medieval kingdom for the murder knights. It's just so low stakes all of a sudden.

Then there's this which I just can't even with. I get that stunt is the thief character, so he's a ne'er-do-well. So yes, this particular character is professionally a thief because that is a thing that exists in fantasy worlds. It's an archetype. But obviously stunt and bumper were in Barthis when it was destroyed and I guess whatever money went into rebuilding the town was only for people with papers or something? Like why are they homeless? Isn't that a choice on the people in Barthis? I don't even know what it is specifically about this diatribe that bothers me, but there's just something that's is wrong about having an elected official telling a petty thief with no money that she's protecting what these people "earn" from scum like him. And that it's law and order that allows these people to be materially wealthy in the first place. Especially in a kingdom that we know has an insane feudal aristocracy and is incredibly unequal.

Greg is a huge douchebag. And so obviously Mookie's favourite it's painful, right down to the Spider-Man kiss foreshadowing his superhero turns later on. Mookie sure does love having his waifus was go along mooney-eyed over his self inserts too. Always have to be complementing.

But here again you see it, now that Bumper is a protagonist, bumper is the good one, even though he was more the competent, less volatile one up to this point. But he is going to be painted as having ultimately a heart of gold which I don't think you could say was set up previously. Also love these convenient news articles.

See, bumper has enormous remorse all of a sudden, even though he presumably spent years with stunt watching the dude slit throats all the time. There aren't any stakes in the story because it doesn't even make sense why Stunt and Bumper would be friends, if Bumper has such a huge problem with everything that Stunt is. And while start to feel super bad about killing Amelia apparently, he has really tried to make amends in any way, and in fact won't accept tangentially through Luna. Because Mookie thinks that Amelia deserved to die, but wants his goody two shoes characters to feel bad about it to prove that they're better than she is

Also a pun about a dead woman, yay!

I hate how Mookie's characters are just talented everything. Like, why is Greg building this library alone. It is more easy selfless deeds for people to slobber all over the Deegans for

There's nothing wrong with the idea of them buying a house, but both in the timeline that this story is apparently occurring on, where the entirety of the comic is passed in a few months, and the fact that the Deegans have saved the world repeatedly, the idea that Luna and Dominic are "saving up" for a house feels really stupid. Like, Dominic your parents are rich and you literally say this entire town, why wouldn't they just give you a piece of land. How do have sales even work in this medieval fantasy/suburban America mishmash.

Also, I feel like this is the first point where you start seeing the issue with Quiral and Barthis being the same place. There is no isolation for why Dominic should be here, and Luna and Dominic will be here and at the school interchangeably from now on. I guess you could argue that that's teleporting but like it feel stupid. It's a tiny quibble so I'm not gonna bring it up too much, but I noticed that the first time I was reading this comic.

Butt jokes. Also of course it's Dominic offering the olive branch, even though he's been nothing but contemptuous of these two up to this point

Stunt bad, Bumper good. Have you gotten that yet. I don't even know that last part is supposed to be other than once again Mookie thinking it's flattering that gay dudes have crushes on him

Oh and I guess offscreen Pam gave them a piece of land. What is circuitous way of presenting this plot point.

Again why is Gregory doing this if he sucks so much at it.

This would actually be a fun set up for a story, with these trying to outsmart a seer who has insight, but isn't omniscient.

This is not going to be that story

Dominic instantly sceptical of what is obviously a planned performance on the part of Stunt and Bumper. It's important for Dominic to look sceptical so that you know that he was never tricked, even for a second.

Kind of weird that these characters haven't talked at all since Erossus, if there's suddenly going to approach each other with familiarity now.

This is obviously a set up for Bumper to start worming his way in, but again it's funny that this town that was apparently rebuilt in the course of a few months with fully functional restaurants and stores and the newspaper goes right through to having homeless people within moments of being complete. If Luna cares so much about bumper why hasn't she offered him a place to stay or food until this point? This is a character that they have been interacting with for the entire run of the comic and they don't division about him until this point where their charity can make them look like better people. It didn't hit me quite so hard when I read the comic the first time, because it was easy to forget how little time has passed in narrative between the total destruction of Barthis, and this point.

Next Time: the main villain arrives and proceeds to do a bunch of small, disconnected petty crimes that make no sense and in no way prepare him to take over the town the way he and Stunt keep saying he will

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011
We can afford to go to a restaurant now that we're not saving up for a house :)

Invisible Clergy
Sep 25, 2015

"Behold, I will corrupt your seed, and spread dung upon your faces"

Malachi 2:3
Callan is like the John Wick hotel where there is only one price for anything. A meal for 4 at a restaurant and a house both cost one gold pirate doubloon.

Beelzebufo
Mar 5, 2015

Also, new page is up

I really can't take how much of the story now revolves around Snout's disability in the most agency denying, sad kid on his own in the corner, sort of way. This has to be projection from Mookie again. Feeling alone and useless as everyone else goes about trying to fix things, and yet somehow he is still the main character.

oriongates
Mar 14, 2013

Validate Me!

We continue to move further and further from the pretense that these are diary entries and not just thought bubbles. Except, they've got to keep pretending so they're square, make excessive use of first person and are written in a weirdly disconnected tone that is neither appropriate for an in-the-moment inner monologue nor for a post-hoc record of the events, even switching to present tense at the end there.

Also, giving in and including thought bubbles at this point makes the previous insistence on not using them even stupider.

Beelzebufo
Mar 5, 2015

oriongates posted:

We continue to move further and further from the pretense that these are diary entries and not just thought bubbles. Except, they've got to keep pretending so they're square, make excessive use of first person and are written in a weirdly disconnected tone that is neither appropriate for an in-the-moment inner monologue nor for a post-hoc record of the events, even switching to present tense at the end there.

Also, giving in and including thought bubbles at this point makes the previous insistence on not using them even stupider.

Oh my God, you just made me realize what is bothering me about this update so much. It has the tone of a children's book narration! That's what Snout's first-person internal monologue in simple sentences feels the most like. It's like were reading a children's book about a deaf dog person building a harem of creepy surrogate mothers.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat
[With an act of casual violence] I calmed down the fighting [that I instigated] and everyone focused on helping my friend!

But they don't seem to [have ever] need[ed] my help. [Why aren't they paying attention to me? Can't they comprehend how great I, Mookie, am? ME ME ME ME ME]

Edit: loving seriously, look at that face. What's wrong, Snout? Are you upset that the (presumably) trained and competent wizards aren't coming to you, a brainless moron, for advice?

I can't wait to see how Snout bumblefucks his way into "the right solution" by rubbing two books together or something.

PoptartsNinja fucked around with this message at 15:42 on Apr 26, 2021

Lemony
Jul 27, 2010

Now With Fresh Citrus Scent!
I note that when offered a free house, they don't even make the polite pretense of offering to pay anyhow. Like drat, at least pretend to offer, even if you all know they'll refuse to take payment.

Instead it's all, well I guess we've got money to blow now!

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

And they still haven't gotten her some loving clothes

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My god, it's full of cat!

Lemony posted:

I note that when offered a free house, they don't even make the polite pretense of offering to pay anyhow. Like drat, at least pretend to offer, even if you all know they'll refuse to take payment.

Instead it's all, well I guess we've got money to blow now!

Yeah they finally have enough money to afford to go to a restaurant.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Beelzebufo posted:

a children's book about a deaf dog person building a harem of creepy surrogate mothers.

Mods, please?

maltesh
May 20, 2004

Uncle Ben: Still Dead.
Perhaps if Snout asked any questions about how they are helping her, the question of whether or not he could help would be answered.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
But that would require him to take action, and that's just too much of a hassle. They should understand his feeling left out is way more important than whatever real actual problem the adult child he randomly picked up is having and they should be bending over backwards to include him. :v:

Beelzebufo
Mar 5, 2015

I know the real answer is that it's Mookie and none of this means anything, but if you think about what kind of story arc this could lead to, it's either a) not realizing that the world doesn't revolve around him and that he needs to wait his turn for attention, which is literally a lesson and that there would learn, or b) all of his friends are going to learn that start ending should be the centre of attention all the time and that ignoring him in for even a moment is some sort of cruel torture.

It's ridiculous how Mookie stumbles into making his character so unlikable when you know that he wants us to be feeling pity for him. Does anyone remember YiiK? That horrible game about the millennium that was some white dudes open as to how sad it was to be a mediocre white dude? That's what this makes me feel like. Like it's Mookie asking us to feel sorry for all the times Mookie is felt useless and inadequate when the competent people were getting poo poo done

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

It’s hard to say who I find more contemptible: Snout, or :yiikes: Alex.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story
Reverse goatee orc's mouth is open in the bottom left which makes it seem like he's having a conversation with Arduak, is he not actually mute? If he's not why did he act like it this whole time?

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Regalingualius posted:

Alex. The cringe from YIIK is so goddamn strong not even the original Oney Plays crew can make me watch that game.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
He's a cardboard cutout of an elitist snob.

He's the "scientist archetype" that Mookie has a grudge against because he actually knows what he's doing and isn't impressed by Mookie's dumb bullshit.

Edit: He'll also turn out to be a transparently racist puppy kicker or something because Mookie wants you to hate him.

Invisible Clergy
Sep 25, 2015

Thanks for the update on oldgan and newgan, Beelzebufo.

Snout's 3 new acquaintances are immediately sucked into his Sue gravity aura and begin serving corpsewife.

Inkwich puts some Rorschach blots on the floor, Sunflower givs her an inappropriate shoulder rub, Thelonious reads a book, beardy takes a piss in the corner, and Arudak stars at the back of his head. Everyone's contributing except Snout.

FlocksOfMice
Feb 3, 2009
How do you want to help, Snout. What can you do? What is your expertise here? How can you assist? Instead of moping around wishing people wanted you, how can you make yourself available to them?

Or can you maybe just not always have something to do? Is that that bad? Are we supposed to actually feel for Snout here or are like, are we supposed to see this as him being immature?

It's so incredibly Mookie? Main character is upset no one came to him and asked him to fix the problem. Can he fix the problem? No, but he's the main character, and he wants to. Surely all he needs to do is reveal his hidden potential and he'll outperform all the people who spent their lives studying. He likes BOOKS. His power is limitless! These other people only read books for the knowledge inside, not to show everyone else they have books! Books will save the day!

waiting for snout to accidentally stumble on something in a random book explaining everything and everyone praising him for being so smart and clever

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

Regalingualius posted:

The level of skin-crawling 'blech-ness' I felt when trying to see playthroughs of YIIK is comparable to DD, I admit.

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

i drove my friend to the hospital, how come the diagnostician isn't asking me for help

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Rotten Red Rod posted:

And they still haven't gotten her some loving clothes

Mookie gave her all the clothes she needs

*releases the bleach*

Howard Beale
Feb 22, 2001

It's like this, Peanut
Oh no, nobody's paying attention to Snout because they're busy taking care of his friend just like he wanted them to.

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌
Sympathetic = "put upon" with regards to character development, right?

If you can stand going there, look up the definition of "woobie" on tvtropes. It's something that applies directly to mookie's writing and explains much.

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

Beelzebufo posted:

Stunt bad, Bumper good. Have you gotten that yet. I don't even know that last part is supposed to be other than once again Mookie thinking it's flattering that gay dudes have crushes on him

You gotta love how Mookie equates 'misogynistic rear end in a top hat' with 'murderous pervert' AKA his only bisexual character.

Beelzebufo
Mar 5, 2015

amigolupus posted:

You gotta love how Mookie equates 'misogynistic rear end in a top hat' with 'murderous pervert' AKA his only bisexual character.

Mookie does seem to be dancing around the idea that gay = literally hates women. I know he'll move away from that, but still. This is sort of like a Sinfest problem, and that I wouldn't care so much about Mookie's political Mrs. if it wasn't for the fact that he insisted upon the framing of Dominic and Luna as representing a kind of moral, liberal superiority.

Beelzebufo
Mar 5, 2015

Two Thief or not Two Thief: Part 2

Part Two starts out by the gang heading to their dinner party with Bumper. There's nothing that's really wrong with this set up, but I hate how one note Mookie's characterizations are. Now that it's been established that Bumper is tricksy rogue, it has to be mentioned that he is good at sleight-of-hand at every opportunity. Greg also seems way off model it's almost impossible to tell that that is supposed to be him.

I would also just like to say that Mookie's naming conventions for restaurants are so boring. Always in alliterative name, with a possessive. Just speaks to laziness.

So here's where we get into some classic Mookie writing. First some truly terrible jokes, one of which is about two bros being gay, the other one about a woman's breasts being too large. Then we get into pseudo-intellectual dialogue that makes reference to real world things that Mookie thinks are classy and erudite. I'm not saying it's impossible to get emotional over classical music, but Mookie doesn't actually care about classical music. Dominic cares about classical music because Dominic is a smarty-pants and should care about classical music.

Here of course we find out, that despite being a street thief, Bumper is descended from extremely famous ancestors.

I don't even know what sold the rights to his music means in this case. Fun fact the first copyright of sheet music occurs in the late 1700s in Great Britain. There was a whole legal evolution to that point to make that possible. Mozart, who let's be honest is generically one of the many people that Mookie is obviously modelling is composer off of, did not have copyright powers or owned the right to his music. This is a thing that exists very specifically in the modern world as an evolution of copyright law, and even then you still get into that weird things like masters, where Taylor Swift is re-recording all of her music so that she can regain ownership of it. I don't even know what sell the rights to his music would mean in this case.

Again, I feel like in another comic I would be willing to overlook this and just run with it, but the legal framework of Callan is so central to a bunch of different stories having a rough idea of at least what time period it was modelled off of would be sort of helpful in establishing a suspension of disbelief. Also that line about how Bumper's family are a bunch of jerks is all the deflation we will get. Even though that would probably have made a more interesting character exploration that a lot of what happens in this arc.

Stupid nickname. Stupid pun. Just an entire strip wasted on something that really isn't even a pun when you know the origin of the word clerical. Yes Mookie it turns out that they have the same root word because clerics used to be the ones who did writing.

This is funny because I guess somebody has to of pointed out on the forums that despite bumper being apparently dirt poor he still had a formal change of clothes. But really it comes off as incredibly weird and pretentious. I guess maybe the restaurant had a dress code?

So yes bumper is obviously still in cahoots with Stunt. But even here you can see that it's really just because he cares about Stunt, not because he's all in on the criminal thing

I mean here's where we learned that there really is no plan other than "Bumper befriends Luna" and "Stunt calls in thugs". But here again you can see that Mookie can't wait to establish that Bumper is the good sort of thief, he just wants to have some capers, he does not want to be the bad sort of thief. I don't know, it's not like webcomics are known for incredibly nuanced character plotting, but I just really hate how all of a sudden Bumper has a problem with all the tactics that Stunt has been using since they were first introduced.

Useless lawyer character is here again. I really don't understand why Mookie keeps bringing Szark's dad back. Especially here in a dream sequence. I that's five panels for a sub-Garfield joke.

So, Luna and Donna going to have to build their house because all they have is an empty plot of land. But....

Wouldn't you know it, somehow Dominic is friends with an earth elemental who will build a house for them. I love how completely out of nowhere this is. This is why people complained about Dominic being a Mary Sue. Why set up problems only for that be solved by yet another incredibly powerful magical ally that Dominic has heretofore not mentioned. Why not just have them buy a house? Well it turns out in this case it's because earth elementals are full of jewels and the first thing urban Eddy is going to try to do is blow this guy up with cartoon dynamite. I'm just mentioning it here because you can see that, in spite of being the apparent purpose of urban Eddy coming to town at least for the first little bit, there was no way that stunt could known that this "opportunity" would be here. It makes me wonder if Mookie included the Rocky dynamite subplot because people complained about how pointless this character was otherwise.

Of course, it's Donovan who knew Rocky. Literally nothing Dominic has doesn't come directly from his parents. I loved Dominic's logic here. First, that apparently it's an all or nothing proposition, and that this incredibly powerful ally could not have supplemented the efforts in any way. Second though, I like that this elemental is apparently way more inefficient than normal humans building things, because somehow they have rebuilt the town and way less time than it would take Rocky to make a single house. I guess it's because Dominic only gets the best artisanal handcrafted wood, metal and soil.

Also Rocky is able to communicate without words and also without writing in a loving notepad. He has one up on Snout.

Look how incredibly conceited Dominic is. gently caress you Dominic.

Also, and this is a tiny thing but I do think it's funny, Mookie seems to think that the gun barrel sequence at the beginning of James Bond is about someone looking through a telescope and then getting shot. Which, no, is not the case, it's supposed to be James Bond shooting someone before he is shot by them.

How dare Bumper ask a perfectly reasonable question, given all the hardship the town apparently went through. I mean just think about it. They had to raise a benefit concert to afford to rebuild the town, but Dominic and Luna get all their building materials and labour free.

Love these offscreen arrivals. Also what exactly was the plan? Why did Stunt invite Urban Eddy at all if Dominic's incidental presence with one of his cable of magical allies is enough to force them to lay low. There's really no forethought into why stunt is doing what he's doing.

Anyway that's part two, things keep getting stupider from here on out.

Beelzebufo fucked around with this message at 05:23 on Apr 28, 2021

Invisible Clergy
Sep 25, 2015

Who eats wearing gloves?

Thanks for the update.

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

Beelzebufo posted:

Two Thief or not Two Thief: Part 2

Part Two starts out by the gang heading to their dinner party with Bumper. There's nothing that's really wrong with this set up, but I hate how one note Mookie's characterizations are. Now that it's been established that Bumper is tricksy rogue, it has to be mentioned that he is good at sleight-of-hand at every opportunity. Greg also seems way off model it's almost impossible to tell that that is supposed to be him.

I was wondering what Bumper's outfit vaguely reminded me of, and then it hit me:

Mookie really wants you to like Bumper, huh.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Oh phew, something almost happened.

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

Oh, Daxethar's a polymath and is super-intelligent, you say? Now we know for sure he's totally a good guy.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

I'm glad the only way that could possibly communicate all of this was a giant wall of text in this, a comic wholly without dialogue.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.
Dear diary, today I met a couple of people I already described to you literally a page ago which I will describe to you again as if this is new information. I also opened my diary and wrote "Dear diary, today I met a couple of people I already described to you literally a page ago which I will describe to you again as if this is new information. I also opened my diary and wrote 'Dear diary, today I met a couple of people I already described to you....