Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Inzombiac posted:

Bautista is such a cool dude, goddamn.

I'll never forget that the moment he had a chance to get in to real acting, he took it very seriously and committed himself.

Unlike his wrestling counterparts that coasted on a bunch of D-grade military movies, Dave seems like he genuinely appreciates the craft.

Apparently it's because of his kids. When he got cast in Guardians of the Galaxy, his kids got really into it and that lead him to take the job much more seriously. And by all accounts on set, Bautista is just plain better at comedy than he is at the badass tough guy roles he'd previously been cast in.

Like Chris Hemsworth, he's simply better at being a big, goofy guy than he is at being a meathead.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
A big goofy guy is just so much more appreciated than a meathead. Arnie knew it, he plays a parody of himself on purpose because people can't get enough of it.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Batista's bit in Bladerunner was really, really solid.

I think he's one of those people with a genuine hunger for improvement. Just an all around cool dude.

Also I can't believe more and more stories come out about WB execs being absolute poo poo for brains.

"Whoah whoah big guy who's part of one of Marvel's most youth-attached franchises! "

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

FilthyImp posted:

I think he's one of those people with a genuine hunger for improvement. Just an all around cool dude.

Also I can't believe more and more stories come out about WB execs being absolute poo poo for brains.

"Whoah whoah big guy who's part of one of Marvel's most youth-attached franchises! "

Yeah even if they are super anal about Batman stuff they should have been like "we will keep you in mind for future Bane casting but in the meantime we will call you back tomorrow with 5 other characters you might be a fit for and a very big check if you choose to play any of them"

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

fatherboxx posted:

absolutely, Ares in that series (and pre-Fear Itself period in general) was also a treasure

Have they ever brought Ares back? I remember enjoying the character in pretty much everything he was in up until he got Worfed in the Siege of Asgard.

FilthyImp posted:

He was great in BR 2049, he did a lot with a little bit of time. It made me want to see him in more serious stuff.

POWELL CURES KIDS
Aug 26, 2016

Bautista has that John Cena-energy where he reliably cracks me the gently caress up every time, but he also clearly has the talent and the drive to be a ~Real Actor~ with more to offer than just leaning into a persona. I'd be stoked to see him get more work of pretty much any variety.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
Bautista has it. Whatever it is.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting
something below head height i guess

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

https://twitter.com/allisonkilkenny/status/1385597080857681921?s=19

I think that succinctly sums up my issues with MCU villains

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

McCloud posted:

https://twitter.com/allisonkilkenny/status/1385597080857681921?s=19

I think that succinctly sums up my issues with MCU villains

I didn't watch the Falcon & Winter Soldier series, but if I understand the premise correctly in the post Endgame world governments are trying to reestablish their borders by forcibly deporting people (at gunpoint if necessary), which is what the Flagsmashers want to stop and the good guys...want to let happen?

Also the Falcon uncovers Tuskegee 2: super soldier boogaloo but decides that he's cool with that and wants to be Captain America anyway?

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

Mat Cauthon posted:

I didn't watch the Falcon & Winter Soldier series, but if I understand the premise correctly in the post Endgame world governments are trying to reestablish their borders by forcibly deporting people (at gunpoint if necessary), which is what the Flagsmashers want to stop and the good guys...want to let happen?

Also the Falcon uncovers Tuskegee 2: super soldier boogaloo but decides that he's cool with that and wants to be Captain America anyway?

I know you said you didn't watch it, but it's literally the opposite of that.

In the final episode he tells the One Wold Government org that calling people who resist them terrorists allows them to evade the question of why people would risk their lives to oppose them. He then says that shutting people out of the decision making process and only having the rich and elite make decisions that impact everyone gives them the false view that everyone agrees with them. The Flag Smashers end up being martyrs and proven right.

In the end, they stop the GRC from re-establishing the old borders.

Leon Trotsky 2012 fucked around with this message at 01:54 on Apr 24, 2021

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
In any event, Marvel has concluded that yes, audiences are down for Falcon-Cap.

https://twitter.com/THR/status/1385693362456563714

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN
I didn’t watch the show, but the new cap suit is some 90s poo poo.

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

I know you said you didn't watch it, but it's literally the opposite of that.

In the final episode he tells the One Wold Government org that calling people who resist them terrorists allows them to evade the question of why people would risk their lives to oppose them. He then says that shutting people out of the decision making process and only having the rich and elite make decisions that impact everyone gives them the false view that everyone agrees with them. The Flag Smashers end up being martyrs and proven right.

In the end, they stop the GRC from re-establishing the old borders.

Okay that makes slightly more sense.

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

Yeah it doesn't look great.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

It's actually some 2010s poo poo. Sam became Captain America in October 2014.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Melman v2
Hmmmm...

Collapsing Farts
Jun 29, 2018

💀
I am so totally disinterested in "guy has wings"

Cap was a super soldier from a bygone era who used to be a weak and bullied kid. This new guy is just "Guy"

ynohtna
Feb 16, 2007

backwoods compatible
Illegal Hen
That's pretty white for a fly guy.

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

Collapsing Farts posted:

I am so totally disinterested in "guy has wings"

It is particularly odd in a setting where two of his peers have fully miniaturised individual mechanical flight.

That said, there is obvious story potential for a black Captain America but probably not within MCU ideology.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

josh04 posted:

It is particularly odd in a setting where two of his peers have fully miniaturised individual mechanical flight.

That said, there is obvious story potential for a black Captain America but probably not within MCU ideology.

Flight and armor. Falcon is weird because he can do what a bunch of other characters can do, but he lacks their bullet immunity, super strength, variety of gadgets etc.

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc
Falcon's fights are at least much more interesting to watch than most of Iron Man's, whose fights mostly boil down to "shoot beam". Doing flips and shits with wings looks cool

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

josh04 posted:

lol did you watch the show

poonchasta
Feb 22, 2007

FFFFAAAFFFFF FFFFFAAAAAAAFFFFF FFFFFFFFAAAAAAFFFFF FFFFFFFAAAAAAAFFFFFF FFFFFFFAAAAAAAFFFFF

Roth posted:

I'm trans and don't give a poo poo.

Exactly. That's why I wanted a black person to weigh in on the Awkwafina discussion.

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The lack of a proper helmet is really distracting for some reason.

poonchasta posted:

Exactly. That's why I wanted a black person to weigh in on the Awkwafina discussion.

:thunk:

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

MiddleOne posted:

I have and think that statement is even more accurate than before I did

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Forgot the ring

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

MiddleOne posted:

I've seen twenty-odd films in the series I think it's fair at this point to paint in broad strokes.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

josh04 posted:

It is particularly odd in a setting where two .
No it's not. Dude was using experimental HALO packs (the wings) when he was in the military.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

FilthyImp posted:

No it's not. Dude was using experimental HALO packs (the wings) when he was in the military.

er, I feel like if you read the rest of that sentence it explains that what's odd is that Iron Man and War Machine both also have flight, as well as a bunch of other super tech, while Falcon only has flight

(not that what was weird is that he was trained with the HALO wings)

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
He has flight and I'm pretty sure Stark designed the Redwing drone thing he uses as an add on.

He'd probably comfortable with the wingpack, might have a bit of pride from being a betatester, obviously has a fighting style suited to the pack... you might as well ask why Hawkeye and Natasha don't have Iron Avenger suits.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

I'm not even arguing that point, I'm pointing out that you cut off a sentence midway then argued against something that wasn't said

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Bautista was the best part of 2049 which is both powerful praise for him as an actor and also hoooooo boy the rest of the film. If the dude called me up for a role I'd be slamming him into so many movie roles he'd need to see a doctor.

Please bring back tony stark to kill him again. Not with RDJ, XXX 2 style.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Jedit posted:

It's actually some 2010s poo poo. Sam became Captain America in October 2014.

Right: for a black superhero, in 2021, they replicated an already-outdated design from nearly ten years earlier.

PlushCow
Oct 19, 2005

The cow eats the grass
The suit will have a redesign for Captain America 4 so they can sell new toys. Nobody wears the same thing twice in these movies.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

poonchasta posted:

I'd prefer you not use my struggles as a gotcha moment to win your dumbfuck internet debate.

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

Guy A. Person posted:

I skimmed a little of the show last night and it was somehow even more hamfisted than I expected. The exchange between fake Cap and the main Flagsmasher girl where she tells him that she didn't mean to kill his friend because she only kills people that matter (i.e. the elites who make the decisions) and his response is "you think [insert Black sidekick's name here] life didn't matter?!" was particularly cringey.

All of the MCU stuff that tries to talk about race has been like this so I'm not sure why anyone would find it to be poignant or somehow insightful.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

Mat Cauthon posted:

She has fans who want to support her but feel that they can't because she won't acknowledge the harm done in reinforcing stereotypes that harm Black people. She has fans who want to support her because of the importance of AAPI representation but can't because the way she got famous inflames tension between minority communities as well as reinforcing a model minority myth. That's criticism levied by people of all races but obviously Black and Asian people have been the most prominent voices because the impact affects them more heavily. No one is asking for her to grovel - simply saying "I realize that what I did was harmful, in the future I'm going to do better to listen and work to make space for all minorites who embody their culture to be embraced" would do wonders.
Rachel Bloom kind of became self-critical of her rap songs and did one last one towards the end of Crazy Ex-Girlfriend that kind of did a decent job of just naming that some of her rap stuff wasn't great. It's a pretty quick gag that I think shows how easy at least speaking to the to the issue can be.

I go back and forth on Awkwafina just because I knew a lot of APPI kids when I grew who have struggled with identity stuff and there is an insane amount of racism in NYC towards AAPI folks.

It does bother me that NYC BItch$ has a friggin slur for trans people because it's a rap song? I dunno. The trans hooker reference is weird in general for a song that I actually related to a lot on the whole.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Guy A. Person posted:

I was waiting for the follow up because having seen the show makes it much worse.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World
The Falcon and the Winter Soldier suffers more than anything from the Flag Smashers being awful antagonists, even by MCU standards.

On a surface level they're pro-refugee anarchists, except they're also effectively anti-immigrant (from being dead) mega-reactionaries who are nostalgic for what it was like after half the world died because the purple alien got all the magic rocks. So you can't really root for them on ideological grounds because they're basically mad a literally random genocide didn't stick.

Meanwhile we are told the GRC is evil, mostly by characters we never met before this show and don't care about yet... because we never actually saw the GRC do anything to wrong them. They just told us. So it's like a bunch of weird edgelords declaring war on the UN High Commission for Refugees and then lecturing the black guy who we watched go through various problems involving being a black American and none of it works on an emotional level. Then their radical act is to kill some... warehouse workers?

Killmonger was at least allowed to be clearly right about understandable things in various scenes and to have comprehensible motives even though he "had to be" (because of the writers) a sadistic bad guy in the end.

100% the best part of the series was the goofy buddy cop interactions between Sam and Bucky. They shoulda just made Sam and Bucky Go To In-N-Out Burger tbh

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

garycoleisgod
Sep 27, 2004
Boo
Falcon and Winter Soldier was going to originally have the flag smashers try to do a viral attack to try to kill people and then Covid happened and that element got removed and replaced with not much really.

At least according to the Internet anyway. I stopped watching the show because it was the worst thing entertainment can be.

Boring.