Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

They also had to have known that Ron would immediately have access to it as Harry's best friend, and as a rule they tend to shy away of showing affection to their younger brother, preferring to look after him in round-about ways.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things
Also Harry's rich and within a year gives Fred and George enough capital to open their own shop. The Marauder's Map was a bribe and it paid off handsomely.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Also y'all forgot astronomy, which from what we're told I think is another form of divination.

The books had always treated the Astronomy class as straight-up Astronomy. Plot positions of objects in the sky, and one instance of discussing the physical characteristics of Europa.

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

Plus Fred and George fairly openly think Harry is cooler than their brother Ron, the cop.

Ror
Oct 21, 2010

😸Everything's 🗞️ purrfect!💯🤟

Based on my extensive knowledge of numerology and my obsession with Final Fantasy Tactics it seems pretty obvious to me that Arithmancy is the most powerful type of magic.

Actually I think I previously argued that Potions is probably the strongest and most versatile if you only knew one type of magic. Polyjuice, luck potion, truth serum...

It might actually be whatever the type of Charms that focuses on enchanting objects is. It seems like the most powerful magic in HP comes from enchanted objects, like the Marauder's Map or the invisibility cloak. Time turners. Mirror of Erised. They're all crazy powerful and stable magic, requiring little skill from the users. I guess it's not really clear how some objects are enchanted/created. Like the Philosopher's Stone is "created" by what they call an alchemist, does he Tony Stark a rock into a new element?

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

I think trying to figure out a best kind of magic isn't going to work because Rowling never actually came up with a magic system. Just a handful of individual spells. What's the difference between a hex and a jinx and a curse? hosed if I know.

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

Zesty posted:

The books had always treated the Astronomy class as straight-up Astronomy. Plot positions of objects in the sky, and one instance of discussing the physical characteristics of Europa.

Was Arithmancy just regular-rear end high school math the whole time

That would've been a good background gag in the series. After the second year they've learned 90% all the actual magic there is to know, and years 3-7 are essentially just Real School With "Magic" Names

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

josh04 posted:

Plus Fred and George fairly openly think Harry is cooler than their brother Ron, the cop.

Isn't harry a cop?

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

CainFortea posted:

Isn't harry a cop?

JethroMcB posted:

They all grew up to be cops. Even the adult characters.

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008
I'd read about Cop Hagrid.... wait that'd just pretty much be fantastic beasts....

Shwoo
Jul 21, 2011

Tenebrais posted:

I think trying to figure out a best kind of magic isn't going to work because Rowling never actually came up with a magic system. Just a handful of individual spells. What's the difference between a hex and a jinx and a curse? hosed if I know.
All I know is, the existence of counter-jinxes is debatable. Because the author of the Defence Against the Dark Arts book in their fifth year was in favour of jinx control, or something.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

reignofevil posted:

I'd read about Cop Hagrid.... wait that'd just pretty much be fantastic beasts....

hagrid would be a cop

on the side of the animals. some people refer to them as "ecoterrorists"

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Jazerus posted:

hagrid would be a cop

on the side of the animals. some people refer to them as "ecoterrorists"

The Earth Belongs to the Blast-Ended Skrewt.

Southpaugh
May 26, 2007

Smokey Bacon

Shwoo posted:

All I know is, the existence of counter-jinxes is debatable. Because the author of the Defence Against the Dark Arts book in their fifth year was in favour of jinx control, or something.

I think they strongly promote abstinence from jinxes.

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

CainFortea posted:

Isn't harry a cop?

They all become cops in the end but Ron (like Percy) is a school prefect (at heart). Fred and George become super establishment the second they leave school though.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
Yeah, they become a military supplier right out of high school.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
I guess my idea of astronomy-as-divination comes from the centaurs, but they never actually claimed to be doing any astronomy. Also by "the centaurs" I mainly mean Firenze so I'm probably doing a wizard racism because his people mostly seemed to hate him and wouldn't want that collaborationist representing their entire culture.

Ror posted:

Based on my extensive knowledge of numerology and my obsession with Final Fantasy Tactics it seems pretty obvious to me that Arithmancy is the most powerful type of magic.

Actually I think I previously argued that Potions is probably the strongest and most versatile if you only knew one type of magic. Polyjuice, luck potion, truth serum...

It might actually be whatever the type of Charms that focuses on enchanting objects is. It seems like the most powerful magic in HP comes from enchanted objects, like the Marauder's Map or the invisibility cloak. Time turners. Mirror of Erised. They're all crazy powerful and stable magic, requiring little skill from the users. I guess it's not really clear how some objects are enchanted/created. Like the Philosopher's Stone is "created" by what they call an alchemist, does he Tony Stark a rock into a new element?

When Griphook is going off about how wizards won't let goblins have wands, Ron shoots back that the goblins won't teach wizards how to forge cool poo poo. Maybe it's a lost art. Now what actually makes Gryffindor's sword cooler than a regular sword I forget. In the movie it's cool because they made the sword prop sized for little kid Daniel Radcliffe and went ahead with the exact same prop design for big buff Neville six movies later, which is extremely funny.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

You can tell Harry Potter lives in a failed state cause 90% of the jobs are fully armed police with 0 oversight.

Like America but the black people get recast between movies.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Snape smuggling off all the latin textbooks so no one else can ever suss out how to invent a spell

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Also wait wait wait hold up a minute why did Voldemort need to kill Snape? He could have just blasted him with a silly jinx and become (hypothetical) owner of the good wand

Like Snape was one of the most powerful fighters in the whole green crew. You're really just going to casually put down the SSJ2 Vegeta of your team?

Edgar Allen Ho fucked around with this message at 14:57 on Apr 24, 2021

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Also wait wait wait hold up a minute why did Voldemort need to kill Snape? He could have just blasted him with a silly jinx and become (hypothetical) owner of the good wand

Voldemort sees killing as the solution to all his problems is actual text I think.

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008
Voldemort was probably the biggest moron in Harry Potter.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

josh04 posted:

They all become cops in the end but Ron (like Percy) is a school prefect (at heart). Fred and George become super establishment the second they leave school though.

Ron’s like the worst prefect ever tho, not even just abusing his power but forgetting he even has any a lot of the time until Hermione is like “Ron! We need to lead the first years” while he’s stuffing his pockets with dessert or whatever.

Also Ron gets made prefect since he needs a boost to his self esteem because he’s basically the definitive side kick who has zero skills or strengths the hero doesn’t have. Dumbledore says it’s cause Harry had too much on his plate but there’s still no reason for it to go to Ron instead of like, Dean Thomas.

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.

reignofevil posted:

Voldemort was probably the biggest moron in Harry Potter.

Like I said, dude should’ve just yeeted baby Harry out of the window or wingardium leviosa’d a bunch of knives over the baby’s face.

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008
"Instead of murdering this baby who is fated to kill me... I shall raise it as my own! For evil!"

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

reignofevil posted:

"Instead of murdering this baby who is fated to kill me... I shall raise it as my own! For evil!"

Neville emerges from the shadows and murmurs "avada... "

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Guy A. Person posted:

Ron’s like the worst prefect ever tho, not even just abusing his power but forgetting he even has any a lot of the time until Hermione is like “Ron! We need to lead the first years” while he’s stuffing his pockets with dessert or whatever.

Also Ron gets made prefect since he needs a boost to his self esteem because he’s basically the definitive side kick who has zero skills or strengths the hero doesn’t have. Dumbledore says it’s cause Harry had too much on his plate but there’s still no reason for it to go to Ron instead of like, Dean Thomas.

It's basically so he can remember he has authority when Harry needs it because he sure as gently caress won't otherwise

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Like Snape was one of the most powerful fighters in the whole green crew. You're really just going to casually put down the SSJ2 Vegeta of your team?

Voldemort, much like Harry, doesn't bother with learning poo poo unless it's directly relevant to his current problems. Despite having had Ollivander kidnapped, he didn't bother to get all the finer points of Wand Lore from him, basically just tortured him for information about whether the Elder Wand was real or not and if he had any leads on it. Working based off all the old legends where the new owner of the Elder Wand only acquired it by murdering its previous owner, he was under the false impression that Snape needed to die to bring it to full power.

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

COMMENCE THE RITE OF SHITPOSTING

Voldemort is a big dumb petty egotistical fascist who gives no shits about his underlings, like all fascists. He probably was going to get rid of Snape no matter how things went in the end because he wasn't going to keep around anyone who could be a treat to his power and who wasn't a sniveling bootlicker

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

Guy A. Person posted:

loving :lol: at Harry silently fuming that Ron got the position of prefect, when he's supposed to be Dumbledore's golden boy. What an entitled little poo poo.

Zesty posted:

Yeah, they become a military supplier right out of high school.

It was a really boneheaded move to sell magic military goods to the Ministry considering how every kid had been taught how Voldemort's lackeys easily infiltrated them way back when. I bet Voldemort was thrilled when he saw the Ministry's stash of spell-repelling equipment, ipecac, tear gas and instant-darkness powders.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Feldegast42 posted:

Voldemort is a big dumb petty egotistical fascist who gives no shits about his underlings, like all fascists. He probably was going to get rid of Snape no matter how things went in the end because he wasn't going to keep around anyone who could be a treat to his power and who wasn't a sniveling bootlicker

JK was very good at accidentally writing realistic fascists in her attempt to write cartoon nazis.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

amigolupus posted:

loving :lol: at Harry silently fuming that Ron got the position of prefect, when he's supposed to be Dumbledore's golden boy. What an entitled little poo poo.

The conversation he has with himself in his head is honestly pretty well done and shows him to be kind of a shithead who still gets disgusted by himself and ultimately chooses friendship and congratulates Ron then mostly forgets about it (until Dumbledore kind of stupidly is like, "sorry you are my special boy I should have chosen you")

There is seriously a running theme with Harry kind of being a lovely friend to Ron specifically through obliviousness as well as not understanding that people can still have problems that are more subtle than "Wizard Hitler orphaned and now wants to personally murder me". It kind of happens repeatedly and I think it's not really until the locket horcrux death scene in book 7 that Harry fully realizes "oh being in my shadow is loving Ron up psychologically" and says something actually really insightful and heartfelt to Ron about it.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Hey, Ron?
Yeah, Harry?
Lets be cops together

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

JK was very good at accidentally writing realistic fascists in her attempt to write cartoon nazis.

There's barely a difference except the realistic fascists actually kill people and destroy everything in sight because no one can be bothered taking them seriously until it's too late.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Guy A. Person posted:

The conversation he has with himself in his head is honestly pretty well done and shows him to be kind of a shithead who still gets disgusted by himself and ultimately chooses friendship and congratulates Ron then mostly forgets about it (until Dumbledore kind of stupidly is like, "sorry you are my special boy I should have chosen you")

There is seriously a running theme with Harry kind of being a lovely friend to Ron specifically through obliviousness as well as not understanding that people can still have problems that are more subtle than "Wizard Hitler orphaned and now wants to personally murder me". It kind of happens repeatedly and I think it's not really until the locket horcrux death scene in book 7 that Harry fully realizes "oh being in my shadow is loving Ron up psychologically" and says something actually really insightful and heartfelt to Ron about it.

Ron's whole running character struggle, basically from the moment he's introduced until the locket scene, is his inferiority complex. He considers himself the least of his brothers in terms of ability or accomplishment, as well as the least of his own circle of friends: almost universally outshined by Harry and Hermione. It's subtle in the earlier books but from about OotP onward it a huge stumbling block for him, like how he assumes he's garbage at Quiddich because he's not instantly flawless at it like Harry is, or how he just assumes that if Hermione was going to be into one of him or Harry it would obviously be Harry (ironically something Jo herself now agrees with lol).

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 245 days!

Barudak posted:

Hey, Ron?
Yeah, Harry?
Lets be cops together

disco elysium as a stealth hp sequel

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Do not drag Kim Kitsuragi's name through the mud by associating him with Harry Potter.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Sydin posted:

Ron's whole running character struggle, basically from the moment he's introduced until the locket scene, is his inferiority complex. He considers himself the least of his brothers in terms of ability or accomplishment, as well as the least of his own circle of friends: almost universally outshined by Harry and Hermione. It's subtle in the earlier books but from about OotP onward it a huge stumbling block for him, like how he assumes he's garbage at Quiddich because he's not instantly flawless at it like Harry is, or how he just assumes that if Hermione was going to be into one of him or Harry it would obviously be Harry (ironically something Jo herself now agrees with lol).

Yea definitely. Dumbledore basically offhand mentions it in book one, it’s even made clear later on that the Weasleys were low key trying for a girl since they stopped immediately after Ginny, and that Ron is aware of this.

Also Hermione’s decision to go for the funny tall guy with the great family instead of the extremely moody guy is probably the smartest thing she does in the series (I also like the implication that they bond a lot off screen while Harry is doing bonus adventures or in the hospital wing for weeks out of each year)

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Sydin posted:

Do not drag Kim Kitsuragi's name through the mud by associating him with Harry Potter.

That's Lieutenant-Commander Harry James Peverell to you

e: cannot stop lmfaoing that Harry's famous fortune is because his great-grandad invented Axe: Messy Look but wizard version

e2: are there wizard guards with wizard bear hats at wizard Buckingham Palace?

Edgar Allen Ho fucked around with this message at 01:13 on Apr 26, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is
ron owns (rowns)