Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Doc Fission
Sep 11, 2011

I do a lot of effort OPs and then run out of steam quickly. This is a low-effort thread for me to showcase how many words I don't know, in particular words that have to do with canyons or guns or scalping a guy. Each word will get its own post so you too can luxuriate in my ignorance. I will also not look these words up so feel free to mansplain them to me or provide a helpful visual aid.

OK, I'm opening the book now. See you soon :clint:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doc Fission
Sep 11, 2011

affray

Doc Fission
Sep 11, 2011

diphtheria

Doc Fission
Sep 11, 2011

jakes

Doc Fission
Sep 11, 2011

shellalegh

Doc Fission
Sep 11, 2011

wainscotted

Doc Fission
Sep 11, 2011

hackamore

Doc Fission
Sep 11, 2011

osnaburg

Doc Fission
Sep 11, 2011

bipod

Doc Fission
Sep 11, 2011

vernier

Doc Fission
Sep 11, 2011

sotols

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather
Oh this sounds fun. I want to play too! English is not my first language, but I will try to figure out some of those, without having any clue about the setting or the context.

That's a nasty infection with cold-like symptoms. I had a shot against that a few months ago. Around here you get that in the same syringe as hepatitis, polio and tetanus. My arm was sore for days.

Imagine you have a guy. Then you add another one. Both are called "Jake". This is a set of those.
Having looked it up, it's an old word for an outhouse.

This, I am reasonably sure, is just a tripod on two legs, which seems structurally unsound.

Probably a bastardization of the German town of Osnabrück. Just replace the bridge by a castle, I guess.

cant cook creole bream fucked around with this message at 22:41 on Apr 23, 2021

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

cant cook creole bream posted:

This, I am reasonably sure, is just a tripod on two legs, which seems structurally unsound.

It's used to support something like a rifle or a spotting scope, where your body is providing the extra support that would normally be provided by the third leg.
Something like this:

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

this thread is going to be, like 80+ pages

Doc Fission
Sep 11, 2011

That's a nasty infection with cold-like symptoms. I had a shot against that a few months ago. Around here you get that in the same syringe as hepatitis, polio and tetanus. My arm was sore for days.

Oh yeah, now it sounds familiar. I wonder if it's a mandatory school immunization here in the States. And if that vaccine can also give me 5G connectivity.

quote:

Imagine you have a guy. Then you add another one. Both are called "Jake". This is a set of those.
Having looked it up, it's an old word for an outhouse.

Smartass :j: Luckily this is a thread for people to be smart in.

Except me. I can be as dumb as I please.

quote:

Probably a bastardization of the German town of Osnabrück. Just replace the bridge by a castle, I guess.

Is this a town you just knew about already?

(In seriousness, thanks for playing :shobon: I'm really enjoying the book!)

Doc Fission
Sep 11, 2011

The Voice of Labor posted:

this thread is going to be, like 80+ pages

Buckle up folks. It's a grand tour of buffoonery.

More words to come later. I got distracted cleaning the kitchen and buying jeans online.

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

It's a fight with multiple people, usually in public. A bar fight would be an affray.
If the guy meant to say shillelagh, it's a wooden club, but a naturalish one. Think a knotty tree branch that's been turned into a club, instead of a carved wooden nightstick.
It's either a small sliding scale kind of thing used for fine measurements(think vernier calipers) or an add-on device for fine-turning the output of a larger one(think vernier throttles on airplanes)
It's a way to control a horse without putting a bit in its mouth. Sort of like a leather/rope harness that wraps around the horse's head and lets you maneuver it with the reins.

Doc Fission posted:

wainscotted
Wainscoting is those wooden panels that cover the bottom half of walls. So a room with wainscoting has been wainscoted.

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011

Doc Fission posted:

Is this a town you just knew about already?

I used to drive past it sometimes. Not exactly a remarkable place, but if you'd ask a German, it would at least sound vaguely familiar to them.

I'm not ashamed to say that I knew none of those and wont remember them either. Why does the English language need a word for a naturally grown club? Also I have no idea how that would be pronounced. Is that Gaelic?

cant cook creole bream fucked around with this message at 06:48 on Apr 24, 2021

Foxfire_
Nov 8, 2010

Doc Fission posted:

Oh yeah, now it sounds familiar. I wonder if it's a mandatory school immunization here in the States. And if that vaccine can also give me 5G connectivity.

You should have gotten 4-5 doses of DTaP (diptheria, tetanus, pertussis) vaccine as a baby. Then either Tdap or Td boosters every 10 years.

I'm not ashamed to say that I knew none of those and wont remember them either. Why does the English language need a word for a naturally grown club? Also I have no idea how that would be pronounced. Is that Gaelic?
It's very Irish & named after an Irish town

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

It's Gaelic, yes. Pronounced something like "shi LAY lee". As a note, a proper one is smoothed and shaped and polished and such, but they still definitely look like they came off of a tree. Here's a wikipedia picture of some in construction.

TBH I learned this word because it was the name of a Druid spell to summon a magical club in the computer game Baldur's Gate, and I pronounced it as something like "Shilly-AUGH" for an embarrassingly long time.

Doc Fission
Sep 11, 2011

scoria

Doc Fission
Sep 11, 2011

vadose

Doc Fission
Sep 11, 2011

ratchel

Doc Fission
Sep 11, 2011

corbel

Doc Fission
Sep 11, 2011

lintel

Doc Fission
Sep 11, 2011

fusil

Doc Fission
Sep 11, 2011

chary

Doc Fission
Sep 11, 2011

quirt

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
Yeah, I got nothing. Most of those seem like typos of semicommon words. I'm gonna assume tha the author just didn't know that the proper term is fusillo. Now the real question is, why does the story resolve around a singular noodle.

Is chary maybe the word stem of charity? My browser doesn't even accept it as a word. Could be a name, I guess.

Are all of those English words, or is this some fantasy setting, where a quirt is the name for some fire-breathing nightingale?

cant cook creole bream fucked around with this message at 23:07 on Apr 24, 2021

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

https://www.wordnik.com/words/chary

I think lintel is a part of a fireplace

https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/fusil

op, maybe you need a better browser

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
So did you actually knew these words and searched the corresponding dictionary entries, in lieu of spelling out what they are? Because if you just looked up some definitions that's just lame.

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

not as lame as having a browser that doesn't recognize chary or pressing the assumption that mccarthy is making words up

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011

The Voice of Labor posted:

not as lame as having a browser that doesn't recognize chary or pressing the assumption that mccarthy is making words up

I was genuinely asking, if some words (not necessarily those) might be specific to the world of that book and therefore made up. Nothing wrong with that. Every author of different worlds makes up new words. Unless the most generic ones who exclusively use stuff which has been defined somewhere else. You seem weirdly hostile about this. But let's just leave it at that.

Doc Fission please continue your good work. I like your list of weird words I've never heard. This is a fun thread.

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

nothing hostile, just pointing out that your browser is putting a red underscore under words mine isn't. though I am curious how you figure out the meaning of words you don't know since looking them up is lame

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

Yeah, I got nothing. Most of those seem like typos of semicommon words. I'm gonna assume tha the author just didn't know that the proper term is fusillo. Now the real question is, why does the story resolve around a singular noodle.

Is chary maybe the word stem of charity? My browser doesn't even accept it as a word. Could be a name, I guess.

Are all of those English words, or is this some fantasy setting, where a quirt is the name for some fire-breathing nightingale?

Fusil is a French word meaning a musket.

Chary is cautious or wary. If you've been bitten by a dog, you might be chary of them in the future.

A quirt is a short whip, the kind of thing you'd see cowboys using to drive cattle.

A lintel is a heavy horizontal beam over two vertical supports. The top horizontal stones in Stonehenge are the lintel stones, as an example. Most commonly you'll hear about this in reference to a beam over a fireplace, or in post-and-lintel construction.

Here's an example of modern post-and-lintel construction.

artism
Nov 22, 2011

McCarthy famously uses a lot of period-specific vocabulary but several of these words are fairly common and would be worth knowing for future book-learning endeavors: chary, wainscoting, affray, diphtheria (at one time and possibly still a common affliction among alcoholics)

cant wait for you to get to the geologically-dense portion of the book

Doc Fission
Sep 11, 2011

crenellated

Doc Fission
Sep 11, 2011

caparisoned

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doc Fission
Sep 11, 2011

devonian