Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Shang Tsung looks like Asian Gene Simmons.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

postmodifier
Nov 24, 2004

The LIQUOR BOTTLES are out in full force.
MOM is surely nearby.
Watched this today, merely meh, probably worth a second watch sometime later this year???

But I will admit to literally laughing my rear end off when kano is fighting liu kang and keeps getting swept and he just yells "is that the only move you know how to do!!!!!!"

Pitch perfect scene.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

It felt like a movie missing the last quarter of it or something. Like the fights at the end felt like they would be the midpoint fights in another movie. Also all the stuff about killing each other before the tournament started felt pointless. Since the end result was pretty much the same.

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

I am the sexiest poster in the world!
Being a fan helps a lot, but even without that MK2021's on the higher quality end of video game adaptation movies, though that's admittedly a drat low bar to clear. If they touch up the fight choreography/editing and improve (Kano-ify) the script, I think they could really knock the next one out of the park. Part of Kano-ifying things is giving the characters as much depth as Kano got and having them really embody what that character is all about (drawing on the immense amount of MK lore to help build that out). For instance, don't bring in Mileena if you only have their name said maaaybe once (if it happened I missed it) and not bring up their relationship with Kitana at all. When Kung Lao brings up that he's a descendant of the Great Kung Lao, take a hot minute to explain why that's a big deal and what made Great Kung Lao so Great. A little bit goes a long way with me on that stuff.

Also it's hard to see how having either Sub-Zero or Noob Saibot kill Cole right before the tournament kicks off and early in the movie (shades of Cage dying at the start of Annihilation), then replacing them in the tournament with Scorpion who still only speaks Japanese, and having only Raiden and Johnny Cage understand him would go wrong. In storyline there's a built in reason for that to happen because Cole is built up as this important prophecy guy and beat frickin' Goro. Send in Bi-Han and the army Shang Tsung talked about to kill Cole, and have that fight on a Hollywood movie lot. Build to a Scorpion vs. Revenant Cole fight later, if necessary have Cole's daughter tag along and keep slicing her hand on that special Kunai to keep summoning Scorpion, and maybe have her play a role in the Scorpion vs. Cole fight.

I mean, I'm just tossing stuff at the dart board here, but the general recipe for improving this franchise seems pretty obvious, and there's a decent framework to build upon.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Just finished the movie and... I liked it? It had some odd choices and a relatively bad middle but the fighting was good, the characters were great, and they did a fantastic job having Kano carry the film.

Kano was loving awesome.

Spoiler time: the whole having an OC as protagonist was dumb. There’s SO MUCH in the MK lore, why add more? That said, he was ok. Next up, the middle to end sequence where Raiden sets up fight was... really dumb? Like let’s say and things worked they way I took it with Raiden being able to move people anywhere within Earthrealm to set up these fights... why not just teleport each enemy one at a time and bully the hell out of them? Why consider only sub-zero as the one to fight together? This isn’t even the actual tournament yet so you’re just taking Shang Tsung’s interpretation of the rules and flipping them on him.

Scorpion and Sub-Zero were good. Kano was loving great. The Cage stinger was cool but I doubt they’ll be a sequel. Sonya and Jazz were cool. Oh yeah Kung Lao was done dirty and Shang tsung / Raiden didn’t have anything to do but other cool movie

Seriously, I know you don’t want to actually copy the games when doing a movie but Shang Tsung and Raiden are so loving iconic and perfect in MK11 there was no way the movie could ever match them.

EDIT: Jesus the post above reminded of Goro who I thought was a great twist having him go immediately for Cole in the middle but was completely wasted, in my opinion.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

postmodifier posted:

Watched this today, merely meh, probably worth a second watch sometime later this year???

But I will admit to literally laughing my rear end off when kano is fighting liu kang and keeps getting swept and he just yells "is that the only move you know how to do!!!!!!"

Pitch perfect scene.

Not going to lie, that scene (and Kano in general) is going to ultimately make me remember the movie fondly.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.
If they do end up doing a sequel they should get Scott Adkins as Johnny Cage.

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

I read a puff piece about the screenwriter before watching this show, I wasn't convinced he was a good writer reading the article and the movie solidifies that view, although I wonder if it's the other credited writer who hosed things up to be this movie.

The first hour after the initial Japanese scene was a complete slog of it weren't for kano, whose actor tries very hard but barely brings it above the weak script. His heel turn was very obvious and very stupidly executed but who gives a poo poo, I'm in for revenant kano in mk2.

Not a big fan nor a big detractor of the oc character except I wasn't sure why we need the whole cage fight scene other than foreshadowing he does mma choke holds on goro later, and also for some Spielberg egue family is essential plotline. He felt like a rewrite of Johnny cage that was hastily rewritten over to be Scorpion 2 the Pangolin, his arcana being able to have sharp batons is kinda lol. Very weak fights against mileena, girl got robbed, they should have a mileena clone army in mk2 or 3 if they actually happened.

I laughed when the dumb arcana bs made it so that when Jax lifted a rock hard enough he got himself robocop arms and then later Sonya got herself laser bracelets because I guess unlike mcu stuff , this movie isn't getting military sponsorship.

Crazy to see how insanely ripped ludi Lin (liu Kang) since the last show I saw him was the ghost bride on Netflix where he was spectacularly awful as a dramatic actor. Here at least his wooden acting lends some credence to how Kang is apparently an orphan brought up to be nothing but a multiverse tournament murder machine or whatever that back story is.

Kung lao was robbed, but the actor may be good enough to be a heel turn character in mk2 because he certainly got the cocky poo poo head attitude right

I didn't understand the inclusion of cosplay shao khan and the harpy until I realized they were the characters made for the fatalities

Final fight between scorpion, scorpion Jr and sub zero was very cool although there seem to be some odd editing where they had to constantly cut off to show scorp Jr freeing his family, reminding me of the old genesis Shinobi game final boss where you had to periodically throw shurikens at a trap device to prevent it from killing your wife. When he immolated sub zero that owned a lot lol

Personally I don't really think the film is all that good outside the vidya references and some of the fights (standouts being anything involving sub zero and scorpion, goro vs Cole, anything involving kano, and Kung lao fatality) which will get ripped into a Best Fight Scenes of Mortal Komat 2011 youtube video by death mule or mk ice and fire. The soggy middle was way too long only to establish the arcana bs because origin stories are real important for some reason, and made me wish the tournament could just start so everyone can get their murder on. The score is a mess that made no sense half the time. Also they should get better writers.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Get Ready for Price Time , Bitch

I watched this today and absolutely had a blast with it. Sure the plot was dumb but it had some good gore and that's all I wanted from a Mortal Kombat movie. The fight scenes were good too!

TheBizzness
Oct 5, 2004

Reign on me.
I mean it’s not Citizen Kane but as far as what I was looking for from a Mortal Kombat movie, I thought it owned?

Some brutal deaths, kano was hilarious and Jax snuck a couple good lines in as well.

Honestly it probably needed to be freaking 4 hours long to properly fit in what they need for a good story, or a mini series rather than a movie, but I wasn’t watching for the story.

As Nero Danced
Sep 3, 2009

Alright, let's do this

postmodifier posted:

Pitch perfect scene.

That little "aw gently caress" as he jumped and realized he got duped was just perfect. That and his "wah waah" earlier. Goddamn that character carried the movie.

TheBizzness posted:

I mean it’s not Citizen Kane but as far as what I was looking for from a Mortal Kombat movie, I thought it owned?

Some brutal deaths, kano was hilarious and Jax snuck a couple good lines in as well.

Honestly it probably needed to be freaking 4 hours long to properly fit in what they need for a good story, or a mini series rather than a movie, but I wasn’t watching for the story.

That's what I was just thinking too, this movie feels like a very abridged trilogy. I would have done the first movie about Scorpion, his intro scene and then his trials in hell as he masters his abilities in the Netherrealm and becomes Raiden's champion (I don't know poo poo about how this franchise works, but Ninja-Doom just sounds awesome enough to work). Next movie is on earth as the mortal warriors are chosen and realize their powers and the stakes as Outworld starts bleeding in, and the third movie is the actual fight against (not) Lo Pan's forces. As it is, there's just so much trying to get crammed in that it doesn't have room to make much sense.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Just got home. Got spoiled on a few things in the bathroom having to take a poo poo after having fried chicken an hour before going to the theatre.

Anyway, if you care about Mortal Kombat, probably dont go see this. So disappointed.

gregday
May 23, 2003

My wife asked why Scorpion was in hell since he seemed like a decent dude when he was alive.

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.

I barely could pay attention when Liu Kang told his murder machine backstory but I assume bo rai Cho puked and shat himself to death while Kang was wiping him, which was how the arcana sign transferred to him

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Why couldn't they just get the writers from MK11 - that was great! It's about 3.5 hours but you can make cuts. It's just so schlocky but perfect for the series.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CdEi4lr4lMQ

RestingB1tchFace
Jul 4, 2016

Opinions are like a$$holes....everyone has one....but mines the best!!!
I wasn't expecting Oscar winning stuff here. Just stupid fun for a couple of hours. I'd say that this was pretty successful in that sense. I'll 100% be looking forward to the sequel.

The good:

R-rating - the '95 film felt empty without the gratuitous blood
Scorpion/Sub-Zero fight - really cool and felt like a deserving cap
Kabal - pretty cool as far as the quickly introduced evil characters went. Plus the Lui Kang fatality was dope.
Kano was fun.
Both Lui Kang and Kung Lao were badass
Pretty sweet intro scene
Cool MK remix outro

The bad:

Dialogue mostly bland. Cole development was stupid lazy.
Some of the CG looked really bad. Particularly during the Nitara fight scene.
Goro. Why?
Reptile. Stupid.
Reiko - I had to look up who this guy was.
Characters developing their powers. Pretty lame. Especially Jax arms.
Wanted MK intro song. '95 movie opening rules.

Easy to complain about missed opportunities. Story was "meh". The whole Cole Young could have been way better. Obviously the middle section buildup was kind of lame. The important fight scenes turned out pretty drat well. A couple were lame and at least one had some really poor CGI. Obviously it would likely be too ambitious and difficult to transition.....but it's not like it's impossible to do a decent story in the MK universe. Anyone play through MK11? That game had a really cool storyline.

POWELL CURES KIDS
Aug 26, 2016

It would be really difficult to overemphasize how much of a piece of poo poo this was, and I came in stoned out of my gourd with rock-bottom expectations. You've got Kano (and to a lesser extent Kabal) and 1.5 good fatalities, and literally no other reason to watch. Taslim, Sanada, and this Josh Lawson dude are insanely wasted here.

It's Mortal Kombat, bro. It has infinite leeway to be the cheesiest piece of poo poo it can be right out of the gate--just give me some good fights. And yet, despite having talented stunt performers and choreographers right loving there, the fights are poorly done, poorly filmed, infrequent, and boring. Brutal.

CubanMissile
Apr 22, 2003

Of Hulks and Spider-Men
lol, MMA Poochie kills Goro and then got a gold shirt mutant power and now he’s best buds with Scorpion.

CubanMissile fucked around with this message at 04:14 on Apr 24, 2021

RestingB1tchFace
Jul 4, 2016

As Nero Danced posted:

That's what I was just thinking too, this movie feels like a very abridged trilogy. I would have done the first movie about Scorpion, his intro scene and then his trials in hell as he masters his abilities in the Netherrealm and becomes Raiden's champion (I don't know poo poo about how this franchise works, but Ninja-Doom just sounds awesome enough to work). Next movie is on earth as the mortal warriors are chosen and realize their powers and the stakes as Outworld starts bleeding in, and the third movie is the actual fight against (not) Lo Pan's forces. As it is, there's just so much trying to get crammed in that it doesn't have room to make much sense.

It would be better....for fans of the games and the universe. But it would never fly. Big studio movie is never going to pander that hard strictly to fans of the game. Each movie has to be self-contained or they'd never make it.

StrugglingHoneybun
Jan 2, 2005

Aint no thing like me, 'cept me.
Loved it and was not expecting to.

Hoping a sequel is in the works

Chewybiteems
Mar 16, 2009
The biggest disappointment for me was the palpable lack of atmosphere, especially when compared to the 1995 film. Say what you want about it but I think that film absolutely knocked it out of the park with Shang Tsung's temple and the island, made it feel like a proper lived-in place with a long history. Settings here lack character - wide open deserts or claustrophic barns and gyms. The shaolin temple was lifeless. Instead of a sky temple, we just get a blank white void. All the MK settings you know and love, like...Gary, Indiana? GTFOH

TowerofOil
May 22, 2007

You don't need a doctor, I'm a christian scientist.

Bread Liar
This was a bad movie that I still enjoyed very much because scorpion vs sub-zero is cool. The plot for this was such a loving slog, how hard is it to just remake Bloodsport but with MK characters, why is there some random fanfiction character taking up the main protag slot when Liu Kang is right loving there?

edit: aslo Kung Lao was loving robbed

DeNomolos
Jan 10, 2013

mild mannered meatspin historian
some unorganized thoughts after first viewing:

this is the true successor to mortal kombat annihiliation in every way possible: Ungodly terrible sets (even down using the same trailer set twice), terrible lines with wooden delivery, and too many shots of the desert.

there are just so many baffling choices in the script, not just in the changes to the characters and plot from Mortal Kombat, but in that it focuses on a midichlorian-eske explanation of fantastic powers that derails the entire movie. how do you manage to go full bonkers and not want to include goofy sci-fi government poo poo for Sonya and Jax?

Lewis Tan is a terrible leading man as well, unless they just managed to pick every single lovely take he had at his lines. They did not need that character in a movie that could not manage it's cast at all. then again no one likes the characters introduced during the weapons era of mortal kombat so he never had a chance.

The good stuff in the movie is just the fan service moments, which almost make it more disappointing because there was someone who cared in the production. They also just ruin most of the fights with their constant quick cuts that often don't cut the right part so you'll get moments of the actors giving a pause in the motion they don't need to.

That said, I will happily sit my stupid baby rear end in a seat for the sequel. If they get another director, kill off Cole to get Scorpion more involved, and let Mortal Kombat be it's own brand of camp instead of a knock-off xman movie, it could even be good.

DeNomolos fucked around with this message at 04:36 on Apr 24, 2021

CubanMissile
Apr 22, 2003

Of Hulks and Spider-Men
I don’t need like two hours of fan service with cameos and winks to 70 different characters, so I was hoping it was a smaller movie based around an endless showdown between Sub-Zero and Scorpion with the some other tournament stuff for fun and setting. All the marketing led me to believe their fight was the main theme of the movie and instead that was a weirdly minor subplot and Scorpion needed to be bailed out in The Octagon by a guy who’s like 0-50 against humans but somehow whipped Goro’s rear end.

POWELL CURES KIDS
Aug 26, 2016

Meantime, I'm halfway through the Scorpion's Revenge cartoon HBO has up and I just realized that Johnny Cage is being played by Jeff loving Winger. This cartoon rules. Watch this cartoon instead.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Just finished the goon stream. I enjoyed this movie lmao. Cole sucked, but Kano was the hard carry of the cast anyways. Ludi Lin is a very pretty man. Fights needed more wide shots and less cuts. Looking forward to the sequel.

JT Smiley
Mar 3, 2006
Thats whats up!
They should have just made a Scorpion movie. His backstory is the most interesting part of the entire film and he's in it for less than ten minutes.

RestingB1tchFace
Jul 4, 2016

Chewybiteems posted:

The biggest disappointment for me was the palpable lack of atmosphere, especially when compared to the 1995 film. Say what you want about it but I think that film absolutely knocked it out of the park with Shang Tsung's temple and the island, made it feel like a proper lived-in place with a long history. Settings here lack character - wide open deserts or claustrophic barns and gyms. The shaolin temple was lifeless. Instead of a sky temple, we just get a blank white void. All the MK settings you know and love, like...Gary, Indiana? GTFOH

Agreed. MK '95 isn't a great movie by any stretch of the imagination. But considering what Mortal Kombat is....the campiness of the entire film worked like gangbusters. Super fun the whole way through. Take the good aspects from both....and the possibility to make a really badass Mortal Kombat movie is not unthinkable.

g-c
Dec 10, 2006

Say cheese
man that was not a well done movie at all imo

felt like one of those bottom of the barrel shudder originals

i loved mk95 and the games but nah this didn’t work for me

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM
Wait, so was NEW DUDE'S magic Mortal Kombat superpower just magic shirt?

CubanMissile
Apr 22, 2003

Of Hulks and Spider-Men

AlternateAccount posted:

Wait, so was NEW DUDE'S magic Mortal Kombat superpower just magic shirt?

Well he also got magic tonfas. A weapon known to strike fear in the hearts of all Shokan.

dreffen
Dec 3, 2005

MEDIOCRE, MORSOV!

It was good. Kano was good.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

Seems like it was able to transfer kinetic energy but once he got magic tonfas, not so much? I really hated the arcana thing.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

Harlock posted:

Seems like it was able to transfer kinetic energy but once he got magic tonfas, not so much? I really hated the arcana thing.

But what if they hit you in the face? It was dumb.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Harlock posted:

It was a silly and stupid but serviceable in-universe mechanic to explain how everyone has mutant powers imo.

As Nero Danced
Sep 3, 2009

Alright, let's do this

Harlock posted:

I thought it was going to steal Black Panther's kinetic energy absorption/shockwave release thing, but they didn't do anything useful with it.

He really was a bit of a dud for a main character. Hell, Johnny Cage would have worked just fine as a fish-out-of-water lead.

Cry Havoc
May 10, 2004

This cyberpunk cartoon avatar is pretty dang ol' good, I tell you what.
this film was the bo rai cho fart fatality

watching the recent games cutscenes makes for a much more enjoyable experience

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM
OK, so that's it. Another attempt, another failure. 2006's Dead or Alive remains the best martial arts videogame movie adaptation.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Oof, I did not like this. Anything out of the mouths of Jax and Kabal was loving painful, and OC Donut Steel added nothing to the movie. I'd watch the original every time if I had to choose between them.

It was said earlier, but nothing in this movie is as good as the Cage/Scorpion fight from the first, which is a shame considering the talent they cast for this film.

It just lacked any charm and seemed an excuse to put in the fatalities from the game, but I mean... you can just play the game for those, and the games have better writing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.

Mk2 better have the quan chi neck stretch fatality