Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Megalobox s2 is shaping up to be pretty drat leftist in its portrayal of immigrant communities.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Toph Bei Fong posted:

Welcome to the NHK is a legit good novel, an okay manga, and a weird anime. It was odd experiencing them in succession, kind of like seeing Flanderization occur in real time.

Weird as the adaptations are, I'd legit recommend the novel to depressed folks who think the world isn't going to get any better. It's a legit work about how the only thing we have in this world is each other, so please be kind, and how not expecting big changes or massive upheaval of one's life, and instead making small incremental day to day changes to pull you out of the hole is the best way to go. Dumb as it might be to admit, it helped me a lot when I was in my 20s, alone and scared and unsure of where my life was going

Like a decade ago I binged the entire manga in a single day while unemployed. Definitely not the best state of mind for doing that haha.

I should definitely hit up the novel one of these days. The manga had a pretty big effect on me back in the day and if it's a watered down version of the novel I think that even a decade later I could still get a lot out of the real deal.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

Ibblebibble posted:

Megalobox s2 is shaping up to be pretty drat leftist in its portrayal of immigrant communities.

a welcome change of pace from season one’s uncritical portrayal of financial precarity, the nature of unacknowledged talent without the backing of capital (definitely doesn’t languish in obscurity), or the optimistic undercurrent of a major corporation putting in a bloodsport just for the sake of a military contract

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

There's a very cool thread in SA Mart that I'm looking forward to seeing how it goes.
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3965335&pagenumber=1&perpage=40

a cyberpunk goose
May 21, 2007

i finally bothered to blow through Beastars

my review: much more leftist than that cop apologia zootopia crap

i'm a furry now

edit:
i thought it was well done actually, my read from a distance was that it'd be really corny crap -- but it was pretty thoughtful and thankfully the wolf and the rabbit do NOT gently caress

a cyberpunk goose has issued a correction as of 20:35 on Apr 20, 2021

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
then why even write the story

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

Flavius Aetass posted:

i started watching gundam wing again for the first time since high school and it owns._____________ ________________ __________________ ____________________________ ___________ ____________________ ____________ ____________ ____________ ______________ ___________________ _____________ ______________ _________ ___________________ __________________ ____________ ______________________ _______________________ ___________ ___________________
gently caress, i was so ready to get mad at this.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

christmas boots posted:

then why even write the story

Syncopation
Feb 21, 2020

net work error posted:

There's a very cool thread in SA Mart that I'm looking forward to seeing how it goes.
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3965335&pagenumber=1&perpage=40

this is so drat cool

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

I read the first volume of Otaku Elf fully expecting it to be just a dumb gag manga, but it turned out to be really good. The characters and their relationships are very well fleshed out. I was really surprised by how the main gimmick is done. I was basically expecting what if Umaru was an elf, but it's not that at all. The elf is a constant in an ever-changing world, and the people love her for that and she loves seeing the city and the people grow and change. She's just extremely shy and hesitant about making connections with other people. There's also a lot of interesting history stuff, like the elf complaining about how they do Monjayaki wrong nowadays or talking about the 200 year old history of collectable promotional giveaways to explain why she likes happy meal toys.

So yeah, surprisingly strong recommendation for Otaku Elf. It's a really nice story about a shy elf and the people who love her.

Pitch
Jun 16, 2005

しらんけど

Toph Bei Fong posted:

Welcome to the NHK is a legit good novel, an okay manga, and a weird anime. It was odd experiencing them in succession, kind of like seeing Flanderization occur in real time.

Weird as the adaptations are, I'd legit recommend the novel to depressed folks who think the world isn't going to get any better. It's a legit work about how the only thing we have in this world is each other, so please be kind, and how not expecting big changes or massive upheaval of one's life, and instead making small incremental day to day changes to pull you out of the hole is the best way to go. Dumb as it might be to admit, it helped me a lot when I was in my 20s, alone and scared and unsure of where my life was going
I always wanted to read the novel and didn't even realize it was translated years ago. Is there any obvious non-filez way to get it? Seems like it's out of print, heavily marked up on the used market, no official ebook, and I'm not sure the copyright holder Tokyopop even prints novels anymore after going bankrupt twice or something like that.

Fauxbot
Jan 20, 2009

I need more wine.
i've always loved code geass but gently caress s2 makes me a pizza hut slut

Mirello
Jan 29, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Fauxbot posted:

i've always loved code geass but gently caress s2 makes me a pizza hut slut

I'm sure its already been said but lol that pizza hut paid for like 3 spots and the creators thought that it was so funny that they shoved it into every episode

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Mirello posted:

the creators thought that it was so funny that they shoved it into every episode

Is the best description for Code Geass.

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

if you're a bootlicker and you're watching the castle of cagliostro, do you root for the cop because he's a cop or the count because birthright nobility is authority and conservatism encapsulated in a concept?

misadventurous
Jun 26, 2013

the wise gem bowed her head solemnly and spoke: "theres actually zero difference between good & bad quartzes. you imbecile. you fucking moron"

zenigata because he’s a Good Cop™ whereas the count is just kind of a prick. i think bootlickers need to make excuses for the guy wearing the boots

Strawberry Pyramid
Dec 12, 2020

by Pragmatica

misadventurous posted:

zenigata because he’s a Good Cop™ whereas the count is just kind of a prick. i think bootlickers need to make excuses for the guy wearing the boots

Eh, Lupin generally only steals from rich and/or actively abusive jackasses, so I'd say Zenigata is still primarily an agent of capital and property protection, even if he's usually less-than-lethal about it. Any "good" arrests he makes are generally wrapped up in a bow for him from Lupin's gang to begin with.

PsychoInternetHawk
Apr 4, 2011

Perhaps, if one wishes to remain an individual in the midst of the teeming multitudes, one must make oneself grotesque.
Grimey Drawer

KomradeX posted:

Oddtaxi is pretty drat interesting so far

Oddtaxi is really good, I'm only two episodes in but I was not expecting this cute animal show to be so suffused with contemporary alienation, depression and dread. It's like Animal Crossing as directed by the Cohen brothers.

misadventurous
Jun 26, 2013

the wise gem bowed her head solemnly and spoke: "theres actually zero difference between good & bad quartzes. you imbecile. you fucking moron"

oh sure but that’s exactly it, a bootlicker would appreciate his baseline human decency and respect for property law

Flavius Aetass
Mar 30, 2011
I always feel bad for the hapless regular mobile suit pilots trying to fight a gundam. It would be better if the main characters weren't literally invincible from their weapons.

PsychoInternetHawk
Apr 4, 2011

Perhaps, if one wishes to remain an individual in the midst of the teeming multitudes, one must make oneself grotesque.
Grimey Drawer
Zenigata's employment as a cop is just a pretense to take Lupin from his wierd-rear end polycule and start a monogamous relationship with him

I mean yeah he's a stereotypical japanese workaholic who loves order but you can't tell me he'd prioritize his job over his one true love

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Flavius Aetass posted:

I always feel bad for the hapless regular mobile suit pilots trying to fight a gundam. It would be better if the main characters weren't literally invincible from their weapons.

The nationalist fervor of the fascists is no match for a gigantic industrial base capable of churning out over-designed super weapons. The overwhelming material advantages of the Federation is why Zeon resorted to planetary bombardment in Operation British and why they never stood a chance once The Federation got on its war footing.

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

PsychoInternetHawk posted:

Oddtaxi is really good, I'm only two episodes in but I was not expecting this cute animal show to be so suffused with contemporary alienation, depression and dread. It's like Animal Crossing as directed by the Cohen brothers.

I think I go in for the theory so far that this isn't an animal world where they act like humans but how this guy sees the world. He's not actually a walrus but his self vision of it is maybe like a Japanese Wilford Brimley

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

Flavius Aetass posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6lvJ6eFcCJE

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Toph Bei Fong posted:

It's legitimately one of my favorite anime and personally as a barely sociable freak with an over active imagination like that it was very relatable. I, too, want my wierd sucidial girlfriend to appear out of thin air. I wouldn't credit it with changing my life or anything but I did stop drinking and start forcing myself to hang out with people around the same time.

Serf
May 5, 2011

local man mad about anime translation, reveals that he is a nazi

https://twitter.com/Locksneedfartin/status/1386000194844700672?s=20

warning, this thread does become incredibly hateful towards trans people after a certain point. reading it is like chasing colonel kurtz, things just become more and more batshit along the way

ded redd
Aug 1, 2010

foaming at the mouth on twitter over several dozen posts because my foreign baby cartoon is sus, senpai

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

Serf posted:

warning, this thread does become incredibly hateful towards trans people after a certain point. reading it is like chasing colonel kurtz, things just become more and more batshit along the way

I heard Nagatoro described as an Anime for dudes that like to be stepped on

KomradeX has issued a correction as of 19:44 on Apr 25, 2021

Mecha Gojira
Jun 23, 2006

Jack Nissan

Lostconfused posted:

The nationalist fervor of the fascists is no match for a gigantic industrial base capable of churning out over-designed super weapons. The overwhelming material advantages of the Federation is why Zeon resorted to planetary bombardment in Operation British and why they never stood a chance once The Federation got on its war footing.

I think he’s watching Wing, the show that features Heero “Traumatic Brain Injuries” Yuy who tends to fall and land head first a lot.

ded redd
Aug 1, 2010

i for one can hardly believe some kawaii anime twitter spammer incorporating sneed into their handle would poo poo like a rabid ape over translation quirks

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 245 days!
if you dont like a translation, maybe you should blame yourself or god

Strawberry Pyramid
Dec 12, 2020

by Pragmatica

Serf posted:

Throwing this onto threadreader and just scrolling is a loving odyssey, holy poo poo.

Starts out fairly standard "dipshit hates translations that aren't overly literal and stilted" and just descends into complete bigoted madness from there.

ded redd
Aug 1, 2010

this is what happens when /a/ meets twitter btw

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Mecha Gojira posted:

I think he’s watching Wing, the show that features Heero “Traumatic Brain Injuries” Yuy who tends to fall and land head first a lot.

Yeah, I was just pointing out that gundams being OP is part of the plot, kinda.

Also in wing it's less gundam and more that the main characters are immortal supermen, and even grunt suits become indestructible when piloted by them.

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

The dialectical struggle of history has always, essentially, been a question of how to apply justice to matter. Take away matter and what remains is justice.
I read inside mary during my forums vacation and it was very good but also very anime, in a bad way

DesertIslandHermit
Oct 7, 2019

It's beautiful. And it's for the god of...of...arts and crafts. I think that's what he said.
I know it's a Twitter meme for people to absolutely have a meltdown over anything resembling Among Us but lol all of this from a character saying 'sus', which has been slang way before Among Us.

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

Did how bad 90s localization could be just convince the absolute most soft headed people that anything that isn't literal 1:1 translation is bad?

ded redd
Aug 1, 2010

KomradeX posted:

Did how bad 90s localization could be just convince the absolute most soft headed people that anything that isn't literal 1:1 translation is bad?

no they're just mad about vidya memes

ded redd
Aug 1, 2010

and trans folks

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ded redd
Aug 1, 2010

and nonwhites