Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Friend
Aug 3, 2008

My wife and I got a new pup a couple months ago and she's a fun bundle of energy that we love dearly. But my goodness, her butthole stinks sometimes.

Currently she is sitting on the couch between us and I have a t-shirt draped over her to try to cover the smell, but it doesn't matter. She doesn't always smell like a pile of turds, just when she gets extra comfortable, like a few times a week. I'm honestly wondering if she just gets so chill that her butthole opens up and releases stink freely. That's what it seems like, anyway.

Help.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Friend posted:

My wife and I got a new pup a couple months ago and she's a fun bundle of energy that we love dearly. But my goodness, her butthole stinks sometimes.

Currently she is sitting on the couch between us and I have a t-shirt draped over her to try to cover the smell, but it doesn't matter. She doesn't always smell like a pile of turds, just when she gets extra comfortable, like a few times a week. I'm honestly wondering if she just gets so chill that her butthole opens up and releases stink freely. That's what it seems like, anyway.

Help.

Probably anal compaction.

https://www.google.com/search?q=dog+anal+gland+smell

TammyHEH
Dec 11, 2013

Alfrything is only the ghost of a memory...
Heelers are very good dogs and everyone should want one

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

That’s not a dog, that’s a tortilla.

acidx
Sep 24, 2019

right clicking is stealing
We brought Gordie home today. He did great in the crate during the 4 hour drive and didn't have a single accident.

Someone rode in the backseat with him the whole ride though. He's not tolerating the crate whatsoever at home. This was the best compromise we could get for tonight.

I'm gonna try feeding him some of his meals in there tomorrow.

Riatsala
Nov 20, 2013

All Princesses are Tyrants

Puppy started barking at everyone who passed in the interior hall of our condo building, so I started scooping him up and petting him to redirect and alleviate his anxiety. The bright side is that now he only gives out a single boof before climbing into my lap to cuddle. The downside is that sometimes he just boofs because he wants to get in my lap. I call it progress.

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!
My last, now-departed dog used to have the same issue, but he was too big to climb in a lap. We finally got him to just let out one bark when he saw/heard someone passing the house, then we'd acknowledge him and tell him he was a good boy.

From then on, for years, if I ever forgot to acknowledge him, he'd trot over next to me, sit down, look at me, and proclaim, quietly but emphatically, "Woof."

Riatsala
Nov 20, 2013

WhiteHowler posted:

My last, now-departed dog used to have the same issue, but he was too big to climb in a lap. We finally got him to just let out one bark when he saw/heard someone passing the house, then we'd acknowledge him and tell him he was a good boy.

From then on, for years, if I ever forgot to acknowledge him, he'd trot over next to me, sit down, look at me, and proclaim, quietly but emphatically, "Woof."

Awww that's so cute. It's adorable how many ostensibly bad behaviors can be mitigated by acknowledging a dog's anxiety, something I'm only just figuring out.

vs Dinosaurs
Mar 14, 2009
I’ve read some folks who believe that reinforces the behavior, and that one way to prevent it could be something like practicing having a friend walk by while occupying dog with treat so they lose the negative association with that happening.

Alucard
Mar 11, 2002
Pillbug
But how do I accomplish that when I got the dog because I have no friends?!

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
Pongo has been gaining weight nicely, though part of that may be late night snack raids to his food bin in the pantry if we forget to close it.

He is also very good at Wait, though I haven’t been able to get one on his nose yet.

vs Dinosaurs
Mar 14, 2009
Looking for advice on how to stop a behavior my puppy started exhibiting today. The behavior he clearly learned from this bigger dog at the park who dominates him, and then barks at him when he won’t play.

As described above, he was playing with another puppy who went into full on submission mode, belly to the sky. When the puppy wouldn’t play, he started barking at her. I grabbed his collar and we left the park when he did it, but I’m not sure that this will be an effective way to untrain what we has picked up... any ideas?

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?

acidx posted:

We brought Gordie home today. He did great in the crate during the 4 hour drive and didn't have a single accident.

Someone rode in the backseat with him the whole ride though. He's not tolerating the crate whatsoever at home. This was the best compromise we could get for tonight.

I'm gonna try feeding him some of his meals in there tomorrow.

Holy poo poo :3:

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

How can I get my dog to entertain herself?

She isn't badly behaved or anything, she isn't getting into stuff she shouldn't and eating shoes, she just has very little interest in her toys unless I'm waggling them (and even then not much).

She basically only wants to go for walks and when we aren't walking she is either bothering me to go for more walks, or moping that I'm not giving her more walks.

She'll take brief naps during the day, maybe up to 45 minutes at most, then she's back at the window watching the world and periodically coming over to me and whining/begging to go out.

I just don't know how to get her to find a way to entertain herself without walking somewhere constantly. I've got plenty of toys, I've tried puzzle toys but she isn't interested enough in them to try and solve them.

And for the record we walk for 60-90 minutes a day, she gets an hour walk in the morning and another shorter walk in the afternoon, so the problem isn't that she's denied walks.

GoodBee
Apr 8, 2004

I got my dog some more dogs to play with.

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

Yeah, or a yard would be nice. If I could just open the door and let her sniff around the yard for 20 minutes she'd probably be fine. Alas, small apartment.

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

Agent355 posted:

How can I get my dog to entertain herself?

She isn't badly behaved or anything, she isn't getting into stuff she shouldn't and eating shoes, she just has very little interest in her toys unless I'm waggling them (and even then not much).

She basically only wants to go for walks and when we aren't walking she is either bothering me to go for more walks, or moping that I'm not giving her more walks.

She'll take brief naps during the day, maybe up to 45 minutes at most, then she's back at the window watching the world and periodically coming over to me and whining/begging to go out.

I just don't know how to get her to find a way to entertain herself without walking somewhere constantly. I've got plenty of toys, I've tried puzzle toys but she isn't interested enough in them to try and solve them.

And for the record we walk for 60-90 minutes a day, she gets an hour walk in the morning and another shorter walk in the afternoon, so the problem isn't that she's denied walks.

That's , AFAIK, fairly normal. Establishing a routine and sticking to it will help.

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

Gobi sniffs nonstop. Smells everything. Hard to even take walks cause he wants to sniff everything.

I’m thinking maybe doing some of that scent training stuff as a way to occupy him. Like hiding stuff around my apartment so he has something to do.

Are there any good resources for doing that at home without having to go to classes or pay a bunch of money?

Instant Jellyfish
Jul 3, 2007

Actually not a fish.

Yorkshire Pudding posted:

Gobi sniffs nonstop. Smells everything. Hard to even take walks cause he wants to sniff everything.

I’m thinking maybe doing some of that scent training stuff as a way to occupy him. Like hiding stuff around my apartment so he has something to do.

Are there any good resources for doing that at home without having to go to classes or pay a bunch of money?

Quoting myself because I love nosework and think everyone should do nosework. Scout searches for Anise, Birch, and Clove because those are the beginner competition scents in the US but you can teach them to search for whatever.

Instant Jellyfish posted:

Try nosework games. Sniffing things wears them out more than running amok will in most cases and when they get good enough to search your whole apartment they're moving around and exercising themselves as well.

I learned "real" nosework where my dogs search for a specific scent through FDSA. If you get a scholarship, which is very easy to do, it only costs $35 but you can also just use the sample lecture and whatever scent/container you have to get started for free.

You can also just do treat or toy searching games
https://www.akc.org/expert-advice/training/indoor-scent-games-for-dogs/

https://suzanneclothier.com/pdfs/Scent%20Games.pdf

https://www.puppyleaks.com/teach-your-dog-search/

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
cross-postin’

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

I've been playing hide-and-seek with the foster pup and it's working great. I use the opportunity to teach him to "stay". He waits in the living room while I go hide with his favorite toy. Then I loudly say "come" and he runs over and sniffs around the various rooms until he finds me. When he does, I say "good boy!" and throw his toy and he runs after it. Then he brings it back and I try to yank it out of his mouth and it turns into a game of tug. Rinse and repeat.

Works a lot better in the evenings when it's dark and I can blend into corners and nooks and crannies and he needs to sniff around a lot more, but overall he enjoys it a lot and gets tired after like 15 minutes, which I feel is pretty remarkable for an ACD.

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

I forgot who asked about camping gear, but one of my friends actually wrote a neat article about it:
https://www.thedogwalksme.com/2021/01/17/our-best-camping-gear-for-dogs/

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Welp, my foster just bit another dog and may have injured it badly.

We left the house earlier to go on a walk, and we hadn't walked fifty feet when two dogs from one of the houses across the street came running at us, barking. They were apparently both off leash and hanging out in the front patio unattended. I tried to pull mine away but they got in his face, and he freaked out and locked his jaws around the lower jaw of the smaller, more aggressive one (about half the size of mine, not sure about breed). It started yelping and crying. The third dog just kept barking but didn't engage.

Fortunately two of my neighbors were both hanging out in their front yards and they ran over immediately to help. 30 seconds later (during which we tried to unsuccessfully pull the two dogs apart) the other dogs' owner also came running. After about a minute of this, mine finally let the other one go. The owner just took it in his arms and walked hurriedly back to his house without saying anything. Pretty sure the thing was still alive but my memories are a bit hazy.

I'm pretty furious. The thing that pisses me off the most is that this isn't the first time those two dogs have been off leash and allowed to wander. I actually frequently see them running across people's front laws, including mine, and I think it's only a matter of time before one of them gets run over by a car or gets destroyed by a bigger, more aggressive dog. Both of my neighbors who saw the whole thing said the same thing (they also both have dogs), and said they would be willing to defend me if it comes down to a dispute.

Definitely not what I needed on a Friday evening!

Instant Jellyfish
Jul 3, 2007

Actually not a fish.

Dog fights are so scary to be involved in, I’m so sorry you had to deal with that. I hope you are kind to yourself and your foster dog because it definitely sounds like you weren’t at fault. Some people just don’t understand the consequences of letting their dogs run loose and try to pin it on other folks.

vs Dinosaurs
Mar 14, 2009
Seconding that message. Sorry you had to go through that, there wasn’t anything else you could’ve done.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
loving can't stand people who let their dogs loose. Sorry that happened to you and your foster dog.

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

Slow News Day posted:

Welp, my foster just bit another dog and may have injured it badly.

Don't beat yourself up for this. Like had been said, there's nothing you could've done. And it's terrifying when all of a sudden a random off-leash dog comes running at you and yours. Everything happens so fast and you have no idea of temperament or anything.

acidx
Sep 24, 2019

right clicking is stealing
Gordie has been doing great with crate training. He goes in there voluntarily on his own, and rarely whines. It's crazy how malleable puppies are. A week ago you would've thought he would die before he settled in his crate. Here he is taking a little nap on the floor.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Phuzun
Jul 4, 2007

I hate off leash dogs. I live half a mile down a nice bike path from the largest dog park in the city, people still let their dogs run off leash on the other park areas along the path. You always hear the same excuse "oh it's friendly" that absolutely does not take in consideration that leashed dogs get overwhelmed easily when something runs at them. The fact that the dogs ran at you is fact that those dogs are not trained well enough to be off leash and that owner allowed this to happen through negligence. It's not your fault and until the owner properly trains them to stay in the yard, it will happen again (hopefully not with your foster).

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

apollo sleeping in the hallway and occasionally making a funny sound I love this dog more than life itself

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

Took Gobi to my parents this weekend, and they have a 2 year old Pomeranian/spitz something. They literally played for three days straight, almost nonstop running and yapping at each other. We got home and he has been passed out since. I wish I had another dog closer that I could let him do that with once a week, he’s such a sweetie when he’s tired.

Riatsala
Nov 20, 2013

Yorkshire Pudding posted:

Took Gobi to my parents this weekend, and they have a 2 year old Pomeranian/spitz something. They literally played for three days straight, almost nonstop running and yapping at each other. We got home and he has been passed out since. I wish I had another dog closer that I could let him do that with once a week, he’s such a sweetie when he’s tired.

Aww :3:

I have a problem, thread, and I need advice. My pup has been with us for 6 months now and he still makes a big fuss in the morning before we've let him out of his crate. We tend to sleep from 11 - 8 each night, but most days around 6:30 or so he'll start whining dramatically, slowly picking up volume until he starts yelping. I know he can hold his pee without trouble, I think he's either got separation anxiety or just wants breakfast, but we'd really like to get a full night's rest. What do? I put a curtain over his crate when we put him to bed; that stops the evening fussiness but has done nothing to abate the morning tantrum.

Edit: he's a year and a half old and his crate is maybe three feet from the bed, if that's a factor.

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

Riatsala posted:

Aww :3:

I have a problem, thread, and I need advice. My pup has been with us for 6 months now and he still makes a big fuss in the morning before we've let him out of his crate. We tend to sleep from 11 - 8 each night, but most days around 6:30 or so he'll start whining dramatically, slowly picking up volume until he starts yelping. I know he can hold his pee without trouble, I think he's either got separation anxiety or just wants breakfast, but we'd really like to get a full night's rest. What do? I put a curtain over his crate when we put him to bed; that stops the evening fussiness but has done nothing to abate the morning tantrum.

I know several people who have dogs like that...you simply got a morning dog :D.
Luckily mine will happily sleep in :)
This picture is from when I went down to get her out one morning. (When we were still using the crate).
She immediately pulled her blanket over her head and that's when I really knew that she was my kinda dog.

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

My dog gets up between 7 and 8 regardless of if I want her to or not, but she goes to bed at like 6-7pm and won't get back up unless somebody has food.

Between 8am and 6pm though she's completely nonstop.

Instant Jellyfish
Jul 3, 2007

Actually not a fish.

Covering their crate, playing some white noise, and giving them something to do quietly in their crate can help. Some dogs are just early risers. Usually, if your schedule is consistent and you don't give in to the barking they learn your routine though. If you let him out when he first starts fussing will he just quietly hang out or will he pee on the floor? Maybe this is your opportunity for morning snuggle time.

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!
My dog does the same thing, and at first we thought it was just his separation anxiety (which he has, badly), but we started noticing that his morning pee is epic, like that scene from the first Austin Powers movie.

We let him out at 11:30pm every night and give him limited water until the next morning, but poor puppers just has to pee by 7am and starts panicking about it.

luscious
Mar 8, 2005

Who can find a virtuous woman,
For her price is far above rubies.
Sherlock went from morning dog to sleep in dog when my partner started with late night walks.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Dog fights are so scary to be involved in, I’m so sorry you had to deal with that. I hope you are kind to yourself and your foster dog because it definitely sounds like you weren’t at fault. Some people just don’t understand the consequences of letting their dogs run loose and try to pin it on other folks.

vs Dinosaurs posted:

Seconding that message. Sorry you had to go through that, there wasn’t anything else you could’ve done.

Dango Bango posted:

Don't beat yourself up for this. Like had been said, there's nothing you could've done. And it's terrifying when all of a sudden a random off-leash dog comes running at you and yours. Everything happens so fast and you have no idea of temperament or anything.

Thanks everyone. I emailed the shelter and described what happened, and they said the same thing.

They also recommended keeping an eye out for any changes in behavior or signs of injury. Haven't noticed any of the former, but this evening I saw that he seems to have a lump around his lower jaw area:

Also noticed a dark green spot:

So now I'm freaking out a little about whether the other dog may have given him something... Let the shelter know already but figured I'd post here too in case people have suggestions.

Instant Jellyfish
Jul 3, 2007

Actually not a fish.

Looks like a puncture that got infected. Get him in to the shelter vet as soon as you can and they'll probably drain it, potentially put a drain in, and give you antibiotics.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Looks like a puncture that got infected. Get him in to the shelter vet as soon as you can and they'll probably drain it, potentially put a drain in, and give you antibiotics.

Can you qualify the "as soon as you can" part? Should I be calling their emergency number?