Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Yeah but he's the Zoomers' teenage Vegeta, so we're gonna get variants on him until they have teenagers of their own.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Don Gato
Apr 28, 2013

Actually a bipedal cat.
Grimey Drawer
Zuko never blew up an entire planet for shits and giggles after overthrowing said planet's oppresive government.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

Don Gato posted:

Zuko never blew up an entire planet for shits and giggles after overthrowing said planet's oppresive government.

And thus he is inferior.

Don Gato
Apr 28, 2013

Actually a bipedal cat.
Grimey Drawer

Captain Monkey posted:

And thus he is inferior.

When I say I like a bad boy, I accept no substitutes. Vegeta or bust, blow up planets for fun.

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

Saiyan/Namek Saga Vegeta was such a loving bastard, it ruled.

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p9uFxdAzcr0

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

i think zuko is more like zoomers' sasuke

not sure if he killed anyone tho...

you're doing it wrong. you gotta post the superior original version:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tmMFp7Kr0Ng

speaking of which, i have no idea why they went through the effort to redub that scene if they were going to use the exact same lines

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Someone should remake that Joker gamer meme but with anime.

sephiRoth IRA
Jun 13, 2007

"Science is not only compatible with spirituality; it is a profound source of spirituality."

-Carl Sagan

Detective No. 27 posted:

Yes, my favorite swear, "shoooot!"

Alternatively,

https://youtu.be/l1dnqKGuezo

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Detective No. 27 posted:

I hate everything about this.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat

Ravenfood posted:

I hate everything about this.

I know they don't include the Joachim Phoenix Joker which is Binding of Isaac and Gone Home or the Animated Series Joker which would be Battletoads.

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

Push El Burrito posted:

I know they don't include the Joachim Phoenix Joker which is Binding of Isaac and Gone Home or the Animated Series Joker which would be Battletoads.

Or Tetris and Pacman etc. which would be Cesar Romero

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

BrigadierSensible posted:

If we're doing it by era then Cesar Romero would be a pinball table. Romero's Joker pre-dates even Computer Space and Pong.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
The whole point is to be bad on purpose. Though even the people who made the memes missed the point since they ended up assuming the Joker movie would kick off massacres.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

BrigadierSensible posted:

No, remember to register that Nicholson is 'early Xbox 360' era according to this.

Mark Hamill Joker is roughly... well, appropriately, Arkham Asylum and that overall era. Romero Joker is the oldest of all games: Goldeneye and Crash Bandicoot.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Cleretic posted:

No, remember to register that Nicholson is 'early Xbox 360' era according to this.

Mark Hamill Joker is roughly... well, appropriately, Arkham Asylum and that overall era. Romero Joker is the oldest of all games: Goldeneye and Crash Bandicoot.

Arkham asylum came out the same year as MW 2 so I don't know where Hamill would sit but looks like those games are already claimed by Ledger

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!

Len posted:

Arkham asylum came out the same year as MW 2 so I don't know where Hamill would sit but looks like those games are already claimed by Ledger

Clearly cartoon Joker gets flash games.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Cleretic posted:

Yeah, on that scale, for anything pre-psx you have to go back to Conrad Veidt as Gwynplaine in The Man Who Laughs

Grunch Worldflower
Nov 16, 2020
Missed opportunity that the Old School Gamer didn't have a title on their list that released before the Ancient Gamer's.

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

so here's a question for some older goons or goons that were just more familiar with the media landscape in the 90s. growing up, i heard about 'political correctness' all the time, but didn't know what it meant until high school and by then the 90s were over. and yet, the 90s were full of shows that had lots of progressive themes and morals, like environmentalism with captain planet, and widget the world watcher, racism/homophobia with x-men and gargoyles, gun control with batman and gun control, and so on. i mean, this sort of thing was super prominent back then, as it is to this day. i was watching some shows that had at least one episode where they would cover one of these subjects. i mean, these things were so ubiquitous that they didn't even seem noteworthy.

so my question is, did the media complain a lot every time one of these types of shows did something like that?

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Pretty sure they didn't, they were too busy saying children's media was all Satanic and violent. When it wasn't video games hogging the spotlight for being new, Satanic and violent.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Mr Interweb posted:

so my question is, did the media complain a lot every time one of these types of shows did something like that?

Conservative media absolutely did, and occasionally, you'd even see the late night hosts (Letterman/Leno) go at it as well because they were vapid shitbags.

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Mr Interweb posted:

so here's a question for some older goons or goons that were just more familiar with the media landscape in the 90s. growing up, i heard about 'political correctness' all the time, but didn't know what it meant until high school and by then the 90s were over. and yet, the 90s were full of shows that had lots of progressive themes and morals, like environmentalism with captain planet, and widget the world watcher, racism/homophobia with x-men and gargoyles, gun control with batman and gun control, and so on. i mean, this sort of thing was super prominent back then, as it is to this day. i was watching some shows that had at least one episode where they would cover one of these subjects. i mean, these things were so ubiquitous that they didn't even seem noteworthy.

then, as now, it was a way of framing vacant cultural complaints as justified from a right wing media apparatus that also liked to hypocritically charge the left as having vacant cultural complaints

the idea of "politically correct" started as a way of leftists to make fun of other leftists (basically the midcentury version of calling someone a tankie, but less bitter) and it got picked up by republicans in the 80s to call academics out of touch elitists, and since then its just been a flat thing you call people on the left if you want to state they are fragile cowards who can't handle common sense or whatever

"the media" in terms of mainstream sources and not partisan hack media spent less time caring about PC allegations, the only thing that's changed now is that the partisan hack sources have become larger shares of the media compared to three decades ago

lifg
Dec 4, 2000
<this tag left blank>
Muldoon
By my faulty memory, people who complained about political correctness in the 90s were mostly complaining about changing words and trying to change old stories. They didn’t complain about diversity or moralizing TV shows.

Source4Leko
Jul 25, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
There were also hard limits to how progressive you could be in the 90s. Like for the entire decade anytime you saw a trans person on TV they were both the setup and the puchline of the joke across basically the whole meduim.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

Mr Interweb posted:

A lot of this covered previously in thread but there is a bit more to unpack.

First, we have to separate media from "the media." Media is creative content made to be consumed mostly. The media is a bit of a nebulous concept but makes up journalists, opinion writers, and the apparatuses that host them. And there were a lot of complaints from "the media" in the 90s from everything from Murphy Brown to the Simpsons to Mortal Kombat to rap. Mostly conservative commentators (except for Tipper Gore with music and Joe Liberman and video games, though by modern contexts they are conservative) that were (and are) try to sell a Leave it to Beaver/Andy Griffith America. All White males in power with no one questioning their authority and morality. But if there was ad space to sell, these shows were going up.

Second, Fox and cable allowed by necessity more content creation. More options means you had to try something different to get eyeballs to watch tv. The Simpsons was a parody of the American family poking fun and shining a light on the ridiculousness of the ideal American family, Murphy Brown was a single woman raising a child in a powerful position, The Real World acknowledged that gay people exist and were normal, and I am sure others can think of other examples. They were successful because they were hitting the zeitgeist at the right time while acknowledging the world was changing.

Which leads to my last point, time marches forward, different people get in charge of media and networks and the people who became aware of the politics in the 60s and 70s become producers and executives later on. They are influenced by what they saw and bring it to screen.

Then again, I might think about this stuff too much.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Source4Leko posted:

There were also hard limits to how progressive you could be in the 90s. Like for the entire decade anytime you saw a trans person on TV they were both the setup and the puchline of the joke across basically the whole meduim.

And gay people were basically only allowed to exist as an issue-of-the-week person to be nice to and then move on from. Actual gay people were scorned super hard. Ellen Degeneres was probably the best example: went from primetime TV star with a solid chance at being the next Seinfeld to 'just too political' and having her show cancelled because she came out as a lesbian on her show.

VoidBurger did a great video essay that devotes about half of the runtime to exploring how LGBTI people were treated by media in the 90s, as necessary context as to why a horror game from the time was so progressive. Worth watching if you're at all interested, but... well, be warned, there's some PAINFUL video from the time. Whatever you thought the 90s was like about that issue, it was MUCH worse.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O0yvSzPSqrQ

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Mr Interweb posted:

It’s sadly true that there was more of a consensus on a lot of these things 20-30 years ago, as there were a lot more self-described moderates who would accept certain varieties of environmentalism or antiracism as long as they didn’t cross certain lines. These people have mostly moved to the right post 9-11 as we have basically lost ground on anything that could be regarded a consensus issue, now visible in the number of people who think covid isn’t real.

You have to temper that understanding with knowledge of how weak and basically dishonest 90s multiculturalism in kids’ entertainment was, though. Those shows lied to us about what racism was, where pollution came from, and how to stop bad things. A lot of the divisiveness of the new culture war comes from younger people realizing where our problems really come from and who our enemies really are, and boomers’ refusal to budge from their 80s/90s consensus view on most things.

An interesting corollary is that kids’ shows from a time when America as a whole was much worse on cultural issues were on the whole more honest about things. Check out this excellent short documentary on Vegetable Soup, an early 70s pbs show, and think about whether it would have been allowed on first-run tv when you were a kid:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IeRLfsIA5bI

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

If you want to know what the 90s viewed as “political correctness gone mad” and what it would lead to, watch Demolition Man.

Every day I hope that movie never gets remade. Not just because it’s one of my favorite movies of all time, but because you KNOW it will inevitably be wall to wall “27 genders” “I AM TRIGGERED”, etc punching down “jokes” written by whatever rear end in a top hat conservative “comedian” is sort of in right now. Basically PC Principal: The Movie.

normal-ass vampire
Feb 14, 2011

Mr Interweb posted:

The main differences I remember between then and now are:

1. A lot of people, especially more mainstream media figures, seemed to think "political correctness" just meant being overly polite and euphemistic. I remember some dumb book mocking PC stuff referred to itself as a "processed tree carcass", and there were a lot of lovely jokes playing off the yhen-current term "mentally challenged". A lot of the time it seemed more about the language than the sentiment behind it.

2. It might just have been the kind of culture I grew up around, but the "think of the children" aspect was more leftover Satanic Panic than anything. People were still paranoid about the Devil in a big way, e.g. Gargoyles wasn't a bad influence because it was a metaphor for status quo prejudice, it was a bad influence because the main characters were literal monsters and not of God, an idea which these people literally believed in to whatever extent. They weren't mad the Planeteers were diverse environmentalists, they were mad they had magic powers.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
On point for the thread: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jCk6DrVJpYM

Fish of hemp
Apr 1, 2011

A friendly little mouse!

AceOfFlames posted:

If you want to know what the 90s viewed as “political correctness gone mad” and what it would lead to, watch Demolition Man.

Every day I hope that movie never gets remade. Not just because it’s one of my favorite movies of all time, but because you KNOW it will inevitably be wall to wall “27 genders” “I AM TRIGGERED”, etc punching down “jokes” written by whatever rear end in a top hat conservative “comedian” is sort of in right now. Basically PC Principal: The Movie.

Well it can't be remade because it's also a parody of the eighties action movie. What could be a modern counterpart? Superhero movies?

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

Fish of hemp posted:

Well it can't be remade because it's also a parody of the eighties action movie. What could be a modern counterpart? Superhero movies?

A soulless reboot that takes out half the charm of the original. See most modern 80s sci fi remakes.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

The Robocop remake is underrated.

BooDooBoo
Jul 14, 2005

That makes no sense to me at all.

https://fi.somethingawful.com/images/gangtags/severancemdr.gif

I liked this film as a dumb teenager, when it was released in the UK as "Politically Correct Party Animals", and I love this film now, because the DVD commentary is just Jeremy Piven complaining that the writers/director/producers hired him, but refused to let him do any improv.

He's SO mad about it, and they put it on the DVD any way, it's just the best worst thing.

Ambitious Spider
Feb 13, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
PCU introduced me to P-funk, so for that I'm eternally grateful

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

normal-rear end vampire posted:

The main differences I remember between then and now are:

1. A lot of people, especially more mainstream media figures, seemed to think "political correctness" just meant being overly polite and euphemistic. I remember some dumb book mocking PC stuff referred to itself as a "processed tree carcass", and there were a lot of lovely jokes playing off the yhen-current term "mentally challenged". A lot of the time it seemed more about the language than the sentiment behind it.

There was also the mandate to Ted Turner's stations (CNN, TBS, TNT) that the word "foreign" couldn't be used. Instead, "international" was to be used.

It was very sarcastically done on the wrestling shows that aired on TBS, as a common term for an illegal weapon was/is "foreign object" and thus they were using the very awkward replacement word. Other TBS mandates had to do with wrestling show content. I can think of three notable incidents involving blood and another involving a plastic bag being used as a suffocation device.

Paraphrasing what someone in the wrestling industry said about those days, TBS didn't want a business about gratuitous violence to show gratuitous violence.

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

Detective No. 27 posted:

The Robocop remake is underrated.

It absolutely is not.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

Ambitious Spider posted:

PCU introduced me to P-funk, so for that I'm eternally grateful

There's also the scene where they lock a bunch of the snobby folk in one room and crank up Afternoon Delight.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

Here's one that I literally just watched: The old Simpsons episode "Sunday, Cruddy Sunday"

Towards the end of the episode, Homer and the other guys from Springfield are in the locker room of the winning Super Bowl team, and then-President Bill Clinton calls to congratulate the team.

After he hangs up, Bill looks behind him to address Al Gore who is measuring the curtains, and Bill asks if he really has to do that right at that moment.