Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

The REAL Goobusters posted:

Literally everyone else in this movie could have easily replaced Cole as main character

Kabal/Kano prequel when

CubanMissile posted:

I don’t need like two hours of fan service with cameos and winks to 70 different characters, so I was hoping it was a smaller movie based around an endless showdown between Sub-Zero and Scorpion with the some other tournament stuff for fun and setting. All the marketing led me to believe their fight was the main theme of the movie and instead that was a weirdly minor subplot and Scorpion needed to be bailed out in The Octagon by a guy who’s like 0-50 against humans but somehow whipped Goro’s rear end.

Cole literally got the power to turtle to victory like every character with a counter in a laggy match what a loving cheeseball.

Also criminal lack of stage fatality on the Pit, COME ON.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
This was not a good movie and I don’t understand how hard it is to not gently caress up what is a simple premise of a Mortal Kombat tournament. Did not like it

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

I laughed hard at Jax's little baby robot arms too.

CubanMissile
Apr 22, 2003

Of Hulks and Spider-Men
Covid and HBO was the best thing that could have happened to this movie. It was have died a quick death in the theatres.

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

They did the violent things and said the dumb lines. I am as pleased as I’m going to get. OC character was lame but oh well. No bicycle kick turkey gobble wtf

Pulcinella
Feb 15, 2019

Perestroika posted:

Just saw it a swell, found it pretty solid for what it is, but falling short of its potential. Mostly it just wasted way too much time on exposition (and delivering it in a pretty bland way) an generally people not fighting. Once the movie actually does get its poo poo together and the fighting starts, it picks up immensely. In retrospect it showed just how much the '95 movie was helped by having the likes of Cary-Hiroyuki Tagawa and Christoper Lambert along to deliver exposition while being very entertaining to watch at the same time.

In terms of the actual story, it was little surprise that the Cole Young character ended up being pretty superfluous. What did surprise me was how even with the plot written around him, it still felt like Sonya would have made for a much better primary protagonist. She actually knows what's going on, she's invested in it, and she has that internal conflict about not having a mark. Cut out everything to do with Cole, instead start out with her finding out about the tournament and researching it, culminate with capturing Kano, then go from there. Now you got an actually involved and invested protagonist, and you save yourself a bunch of dry exposition in the middle.

Still, overall a good time. Kano was an unexpected delight and stole the show anytime he was on screen.

It's true, tho. 2021 Kano had me grinning all the time. Ear... to ear :v:

Yeah Cole’s plot arc seems to be that he’s a washed up MMA fighter whose problems are mostly in his head and who quits too early. Except he never moves beyond that nor do we really ever see more of his character except that. Literally every fight he either loses or needs help to win. Yeah he beats Goro without the help from another person, but would have absolutely been killed if it wasn’t for the fact that his power was magical (plot) armor. Sonya basically is the real main character. The actor was fine, he just wasn’t given anything to work with.

CubanMissile
Apr 22, 2003

Of Hulks and Spider-Men
More so than when he beat Goro, it really irritated me when new guy started leading the team and giving commands to classic MK characters on who they’re gonna fight.

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

It turns out the oc wasn't written by the guy I read the puff piece of https://twitter.com/doctorpurpleman/status/1383118411325177856?s=19

DeNomolos
Jan 10, 2013

mild mannered meatspin historian

POWELL CURES KIDS posted:

Meantime, I'm halfway through the Scorpion's Revenge cartoon HBO has up and I just realized that Johnny Cage is being played by Jeff loving Winger. This cartoon rules. Watch this cartoon instead.

thank you, i am glad i got to watch a good mk movie tonight.

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Scroll, then. There are other posts than these.

The Saddest Rhino posted:

It turns out the oc wasn't written by the guy I read the puff piece of https://twitter.com/doctorpurpleman/status/1383118411325177856?s=19

You can see the corporate mandates smashing into the fun fan film they tried to make. Gonna try a star wars fans editing technique and see if I can extract Cole from the film.

DorianGravy
Sep 12, 2007

This felt like a prequel. The pacing was weird and the movie seemed more interested in leading into a sequel than telling a good story. The 1 vs. 1 fights also felt super rushed, the heavy focus on discovering "arcana" was dull, and I felt pretty bored for most of the movie (including many of the fights).

On the plus side, Kano was great and the opening of the movie was well done. The rivalry of Shirai Ryu and Bi-Han was the best part, but everything in between felt like filler.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

gregday posted:

My wife asked why Scorpion was in hell since he seemed like a decent dude when he was alive.

1: he's a ninja and probably murdered people by the boatload
2: honestly how likely I'd it that he sees the light of Jesus Christ in his heart

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!
Goddamn that movie sucked. There were like three boring rear end sets and the editing was legit some of the worst editing I’ve ever seen in a mainstream movie. It’s pretty obvious they didn’t spend very much money on this. Also goddamn could they chill on the exposition. Everyone’s costume looked like poo poo too. Kano was the one bright spot of the movie because he seemed like he was having fun. Cole Legit is a terrible actor. MK 95 isn’t a good movie but it feels like mortal kombat. It intros 3 characters gives them all simple motivation then they all fight for the rest of the movie. I don’t know how any one can like this new one.

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

You're quite good at turning me on.

Even though this had fun moments I agree with the majority of the complaints. The simplicity of the 95 movie does so much for it. It doesn't give a poo poo why Johnny Cage can do a shadow kick or why Liu Kang shoots a fireball, they just do it and doesn't waste time explaining things.

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!

Cacator posted:

Even though this had fun moments I agree with the majority of the complaints. The simplicity of the 95 movie does so much for it. It doesn't give a poo poo why Johnny Cage can do a shadow kick or why Liu Kang shoots a fireball, they just do it and doesn't waste time explaining things.

I’ve always said it’s the perfect video game movie movie because everyone looks like they’re supposed to and they all do their moves. Not to mention the fight scenes are legitimately good and physical on top of a great soundtrack. It’s not a good movie but it’s loving mortal kombat.

CubanMissile
Apr 22, 2003

Of Hulks and Spider-Men
The only thing wrong with the OG MK is the ninjas were on the same side.

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

You're quite good at turning me on.

The original didn't need an audience stand in either. If what was previously mentioned was true and Cole was mandated by the studio then a lot of this movie's issues make sense since they just amount to franchise building and sequel bait. Not a problem limited to this film but most of Hollywood today, of course. Just give people what they want and build demand for a sequel based on quality forfuckssake.

Edit: mainly ranting because this felt like it had a lot of potential and fun elements that were squandered by the script.

Cacator fucked around with this message at 08:14 on Apr 24, 2021

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Maybe I just went in with low expectations but I liked it more than I thought I would. if nothing else it was fun. I liked how most of the characters were handled except Raiden who just kind of sucked and Goro felt completely wasted. everyone else was ok to good with Kano and Scorpion being the best (honorable mention to Kabal). No idea who the gently caress hammer guy or harpy lady were. I am assuming they were only in the movie because it didn't matter their characters got killed off immediately.

That said it was kind of a mess at times. The fight scenes were passable but not great, once the actual fighting starts it's feels pretty rushed like it felt like everyone died in 4 minutes. Everything with Jax' arms was super dumb. Also the new version of the theme song loving sucks.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

ChuckDeNomolos posted:

some unorganized thoughts after first viewing:

this is the true successor to mortal kombat annihiliation in every way possible: Ungodly terrible sets (even down using the same trailer set twice), terrible lines with wooden delivery, and too many shots of the desert.

there are just so many baffling choices in the script, not just in the changes to the characters and plot from Mortal Kombat, but in that it focuses on a midichlorian-eske explanation of fantastic powers that derails the entire movie. how do you manage to go full bonkers and not want to include goofy sci-fi government poo poo for Sonya and Jax?

Lewis Tan is a terrible leading man as well, unless they just managed to pick every single lovely take he had at his lines. They did not need that character in a movie that could not manage it's cast at all. then again no one likes the characters introduced during the weapons era of mortal kombat so he never had a chance.

The good stuff in the movie is just the fan service moments, which almost make it more disappointing because there was someone who cared in the production. They also just ruin most of the fights with their constant quick cuts that often don't cut the right part so you'll get moments of the actors giving a pause in the motion they don't need to.

That said, I will happily sit my stupid baby rear end in a seat for the sequel. If they get another director, kill off Cole to get Scorpion more involved, and let Mortal Kombat be it's own brand of camp instead of a knock-off xman movie, it could even be good.

They used the same trailer set twice because it's the same location. I stopped reading after that because if you're going to just be a cinemasin and not actually pay attention to the movie that's a you problem.

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!

Vince MechMahon posted:

They used the same trailer set twice because it's the same location. I stopped reading after that because if you're going to just be a cinemasin and not actually pay attention to the movie that's a you problem.

There was no reason they needed to go back to the trailer set. It reeked of we can’t afford a fourth set. Also I love super ninja subzero attacking Cole with his prop family and the most he can do is throw snowballs at their car.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Definitely agree that returning to the trailer was sort of baffling. we did not need to see that place twice.

ynohtna
Feb 16, 2007

backwoods compatible
Illegal Hen

TheBizzness posted:

I mean it’s not Citizen Kane[...]

I think you mean Citizen Kano. :holy:

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

It’s hard not to be a little disappointed after that, especially having watched the ‘95 movie so recently to hype up. It felt like the double-sized pilot of a big streaming miniseries. I get that it takes time to set up but they also added in so much unnecessary junk that they made it harder on themselves. The arcana stuff adds nothing. People don’t need a reason for the superpowers and putting one in only means that you have another thing to constantly make sense of. Having a POV character isn’t a bad idea but Cole is such a nothing character. There’s very little personality to him beyond his love for his family. All of the characters are really only developed to a very base level, which isn’t necessarily a bad thing but the space you save not having character arcs was not used wisely.

The fights are also kinda underwhelming. Each person gets one fight in the first half and one fight in the second half, and they all lose the first one except Kung Lao who wins and is then promptly eaten by Shang Tsung for his trouble. Then they get their superpowers and next time they win pretty easily. There’s no real interesting flow to the fights in the temple or the little montage towards the end. You don’t get the sense that anyone has actually learned anything, they just got to a point where their magic birthmark triggered and BAM the plot can now continue.

None of this criticism applies to Sub-Zero and his fights with Scorpion. Those are so good and how the rest of the movie should have been made. There are personal stakes, there’s a back and forth, it takes time to breathe; those two fights are just about worth the price of admission on their own, especially if you’re an MK fan who has always loved Sub-Zero like me. I have zero criticisms of Joe Taslim or Hiroyuki Sanada except “I wish it was just 110 minutes of them warring through the ages”.

The non-Cole characters are a mixed bag leaning towards good. This might actually be one of my favorite versions of Sonya across any MK media, which isn’t exactly the highest bar but still good. Jax is pretty good, Kung Lao is great, both Kano and Kang have very big shoes to fill and they do well for the most part. Raiden is fine, there’s a little less focus on him than usual but he’s good. The villains are less engaging (save Subbie who, again, is perfect). Shang is kinda going for a weird, not-effective mix of understatement and camp. Mileena and Goro look good but go out like chumps, which is a waste of both of them. I thought I was gonna hate Kabal but his sort of Everyman charm mixed with a Darth Vader Ninja was fun and fun to watch get beat. Reiko was... well he was a big guy. There are lots of little references everywhere which was fun to look for when I was busy ignoring the plot.

You can tell that there were people on this production who cared a lot. The costume designs are all great (except cole’s stupid stupid armor) and there’s clearly a lot of attention paid to fidelity but the script really hampered most of what this movie ought to have been. It tried to squeeze too many things in while not giving enough of the reason people want to watch an MK movie. They were very dead set on including fatalities because it’s not the 1990s anymore and video game movies can be made for adults but they forgot about what has to happen first for the fatalities to really work as the catharsis they are in the games: a long brutal struggle for control.

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos
This movie kinda sucks, but I guess I like it?

Really lame rear end main character, awkward pacing and writing, no actual tournament, and they ended it on a sequel hook cliffhanger which seems like a very optimistic decision. I'll take what I can get though, and the fights were mostly pretty cool at least.

Also who the gently caress was clamoring for Nitara and Reiko to be in the movie?

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

tweet my meat posted:

Also who the gently caress was clamoring for Nitara and Reiko to be in the movie?

Honestly given how they all just got killed before the tournament I think having jobbers like Nitara and Reiko makes sense, you ought to be saving characters that people care about for the sequel. Mileena and Goro went out like chumps, they should have just been Kintaro and a random Tarkatan or something. Maybe slap like, Hsu Hao or Tanya in there.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Sub Zero-8/10(would have been 9 but his powers were randomly lame sometimes)
Scorpion-9/10
Jax-7/10
Liu Kang-7/10
Sonya-7/10
Kano-9/10
Kabal-8/10
Mileena- 6.5/10 (needed more monster face)
Raiden- 3/10 fuckin dork
Kung Lao-7/10
Shang Tsung-5/10 meh
Nitara-who? 6.5/10 for getting mulched the best way in the movie
Hammer guy-Who???
Cole-who???? who cares 4/10
Goro-6/10 look, 2/10 character
Johnny Cage-0/10

Into The Mild
Mar 4, 2003

veni veni veni posted:

Definitely agree that returning to the trailer was sort of baffling. we did not need to see that place twice.

I really don’t get this complaint.

Look can we all agree that budgets in Hollywood are a joke? There’s no middle budget films, and there’s no one off films.. everything is a franchise.

This film is setup to be another tent pole franchise. And I feel like this film suffers from it. But I’ll get into that later.

So the issue I have with the “oh they used the same set twice” is ... budget. This film was always going to be a huge risk, which is why there’s not a single noticeable name there except for say Raiden and Scorpion. Everyone else including the writer and director are just unknown.. this screams of the studio trying to keep this film under $100mil.

This is a good thing. You want more medium budget films, you want more risks, you want more new directors and writers.

You don’t want more marvels and Star Wars.

That’s my rant about budgets and complaining about using the same set twice.

Now onto the film.

This felt like half a film.... the first act went on and on and on. Then it felt like it finished half way through the second act. I get it, It’s a two film kind of deal. But boy this as a stand alone film, it really suffers from the last 30mins feeling like they are all rushed.

The pacing is off, the editing could be better.

That whole “find your super powers” bit just drags... only to just skip Sonya’s whole power discovery. “A gift from Kano”

They could have done that whole poo poo differently.

4/10

nemesis_hub
Nov 27, 2006

Really bold choice of Lewis Tan to play his character as suffering from CTE-induced sleepiness. I hope Will Smith is in the next one as Bennet Omalu.

I also lolled at Liu Kang constantly posing and gesticulating.

Overall this was not good with some bright spots here and there. The portrayal of Sub-Zero as almost a slasher movie villain was cool, Kano had some good moments, and Kabal and Mileena *looked* pretty good.

Gonna rewatch the 95 version to compare as I haven’t seen it for many years.

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

I probably missed something but as much as I was okay with the second Sonya trailer fight I didn't understand why they had to fight there

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

The problem isn't the budget it's that it would have worked better taking place on one of the movie's many random CGI dirt piles than harkening back to Sonya's double wide trailer.

I don't really care tbh it just seemed out of nowhere that place even popped up again.

veni veni veni fucked around with this message at 10:06 on Apr 24, 2021

Into The Mild
Mar 4, 2003

Perestroika posted:

Just saw it a swell, found it pretty solid for what it is, but falling short of its potential. Mostly it just wasted way too much time on exposition (and delivering it in a pretty bland way) an generally people not fighting. Once the movie actually does get its poo poo together and the fighting starts, it picks up immensely. In retrospect it showed just how much the '95 movie was helped by having the likes of Cary-Hiroyuki Tagawa and Christoper Lambert along to deliver exposition while being very entertaining to watch at the same time.

In terms of the actual story, it was little surprise that the Cole Young character ended up being pretty superfluous. What did surprise me was how even with the plot written around him, it still felt like Sonya would have made for a much better primary protagonist. She actually knows what's going on, she's invested in it, and she has that internal conflict about not having a mark. Cut out everything to do with Cole, instead start out with her finding out about the tournament and researching it, culminate with capturing Kano, then go from there. Now you got an actually involved and invested protagonist, and you save yourself a bunch of dry exposition in the middle.

This is some of the best points in this whole thread.

Into The Mild
Mar 4, 2003

nemesis_hub posted:

Gonna rewatch the 95 version to compare as I haven’t seen it for many years.

Ditto.

As much as I don’t like films by that director... I feel like MK95 is the better film, just because it doesn’t give a gently caress about anything and just does it.

It’s simple and it works.

The white washing is garbage though. So, there’s that.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

I sort of assumed she returned to the trailer because it was familiar ground for her. She said she’d lived there her whole life so I just imagined she’d have a tactical advantage fighting there. The movie does a poor job of letting you know this so if you missed that one line early on I can see why it might be confusing, especially since Jax just went to some random bridge (yes I know what it’s supposed to be but that doesn’t make it any less random in the context of the movie) and I don’t really even know where Liu and Cole went. That whole sequence reeked of “ugh we need each person fighting but we have about 30 seconds to set it up”. I think Liu and Cole were somewhere in the temple but I’m not sure. They ought to have had Jax return to where his arms got busted and had Raiden made a comment about teleporting them to familiar ground to get the advantage or something, which also would have foreshadowed the final fight against Sub-Zero moving back to the MMA club, which is something that I didn’t pick up on right away.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

I probably missed something but as much as I was okay with the second Sonya trailer fight I didn't understand why they had to fight there
To payoff Checkov's Garden Gnome

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Yeah, that tracks. Generic outsider everyman main character whose main motivation is angsting about his family is extremely on brand for a studio-mandated addition. Wouldn't be surprised if the same went for the whole arcana stuff because some exec went "I don't understand why he can throw fireballs", though at least we got some actually good scenes out of that.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

I think the biggest issue with this movie is the script by a long shot but a still-noticeable second would be the setting. The 95 movie had these big beautiful sets that made everything seem supernatural and the color once they got to outworld proper felt surreal and inhuman. In this movie a lot more time is spent fighting in regular places that are kinda boring and Raiden’s Temple is a twisty cave most of the time, which isn’t particularly interesting. There’s the center room with the statue but that would have been like, the 8th most interesting set for the 95 movie. Even Outworld just sort of looks like a bland desert. This movie had a sense of smallness to it. There are basically no characters that aren’t named after we get to Sonya’s trailer except for Shang Tsung having a few soldiers who travel with him seen where we first encounter Mileena that are gone after that.

Edit: this is what is missing, it’s not even Outworld or the island, it’s the Temple that Liu Kang trained in and it’s beautiful and huge and feels special and full of life and there’s a line full of monks waiting for him. There’s nothing this interesting in this new movie

DC Murderverse fucked around with this message at 10:29 on Apr 24, 2021

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
Yeah it had that feeling that the Mandalorian has where it's just filmed on a virtual set which allows for great fantastical backdrops but you can still feel that it's taking place on a tiny stage, you know?

Also I now realize that Shang Tsung and his jobber crew should have gotten a quick intro with onscreen text like Megatron and his jobber crew did in The Last Knight, it would turn the fact that they're all jobbing into a big joke at least, lampshading the disappointment
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Y22PZjPRNI

Into The Mild
Mar 4, 2003

I’m noticing tweets about how good mortal kombat is... is from people with DCEU avatars and usernames.

Into The Mild fucked around with this message at 10:39 on Apr 24, 2021

gregday
May 23, 2003

Kabal’s Brooklyn accent really threw me out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hump day bitches!
Apr 3, 2011

The movie had a budget of 95 million $ and I want to know where all that went, because it looks extremely cheap and generic.Theres not much visual flair except for a couple of Sub Zero moments.