Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

matti
Mar 31, 2019

"The creative class (us)"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
the thread about moot today really has peeps unironically postin about the virtues of /pol/, dont they

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
I can't believe anyone hired him to begin with, what a liability. Both from the PR and all the swirlies he must get.

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

someone gave the weird comic guy a job?

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

To Escape The Shackles Of The Old Forums, We Must Reject The Tribal Negativity He Endorsed
who could have predicted that hn would have a lot of ideological overlap with /pol/

Internet Janitor
May 17, 2008

"That isn't the appropriate trash receptacle."
who could have predicted that hn would have a lot of userbase overlap with /pol/

necrotic
Aug 2, 2005
I owe my brother big time for this!

Pile Of Garbage posted:

someone gave the weird comic guy a job?

Google did and he could not even last there.

Xik
Mar 10, 2011

Dinosaur Gum
anovikov 2 hours ago | parent | favorite | on: The luxury fashion industry is roaring back everyw...

There's absolutely no carbon footprint in luxury spending, because luxury goods are by definition very high-markup. Every buck spent on a Birkin handbag saves that amount from being spent on a gas-guzzling SUV, or more realistically, considering the target group, from being spent on a couple of private jet flights that would emit tens of tons of CO2.

If anything, luxury spending must be promoted to reduce carbon intensity of national economies.

power botton
Nov 2, 2011

buying apple Hermes products is praxis

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016

Xik posted:

anovikov 2 hours ago | parent | favorite | on: The luxury fashion industry is roaring back everyw...

There's absolutely no carbon footprint in luxury spending, because luxury goods are by definition very high-markup. Every buck spent on a Birkin handbag saves that amount from being spent on a gas-guzzling SUV, or more realistically, considering the target group, from being spent on a couple of private jet flights that would emit tens of tons of CO2.

If anything, luxury spending must be promoted to reduce carbon intensity of national economies.

https://i.imgur.com/YnSMmzS.mp4

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

Xik posted:

lol people who are so convinced they are the smartest boy in the room that they twist themselves into these absurd positions rock.

mystes
May 31, 2006

The galaxy brain "trickle down isn't real but that means it's even better that income inequality exists and rich people waste all their money on conspicuous consumption because of climate change :smug:" position.

mystes
May 31, 2006

kian 1 hour ago [–]

"... upskilling initiatives ... put the onus on workers to improve themselves in order to improve their job-market prospects and the American economy in general. In so doing, they make individual what is clearly a governmental and societal problem... All jobs could be good jobs. But only policy makers and business leaders have the skills to make that happen, not workers."

We used to have a term for this - 'the soft bigotry of low expectations.' When did it become so progressive for well-educated white Americans, who clearly would never a day in their life follow their own advice, having 'upskilled' themselves to the max in the Ivy League, to encourage the removal and abdication of all forms of personal power and growth from people of color?

While I'm sure some people must truly believe this, I can't help but get a bootleggers and baptists vibe from the situation. It almost feels like a deep suppression of a fear of competition from some, and is starting to come off as a desperate attempt to protect themselves and their status by tricking others into staying 'in their place'.

The only way we will will sustainably succeed in raising wages for 'low-skilled' positions is through some combination of decreasing their fungibility (celebrity dish-washers?), decrease the competition for them, or increase alternative prospects through education. If everyone can be doctors, scientists, engineers, and titans of industry, the dish-washer will either be a valued, appreciated, and well-paid position - or we'll have figured out how to do it by machine.

mrmcd
Feb 22, 2003

Pictured: The only good cop (a fictional one).

The YouTube ad conspiracy genius has logged on.

briefcomment 5 hours ago [–]

Youtube is probably varying the rate of ads displayed for each user based on some factors. I was watching an hour long interview and was shocked that I was served a 30 second ad every 3-4 minutes. I scanned the comments for outrage, but there were no negative comments. I think YT may have increased my ad rate because I was using a VPN.

I think they will use ads as a form of tax, to discourage certain behavior, and even certain content. I think I notice this more on libertarian leaning videos (although I definitely haven't done any rigorous analysis re that).

Can't wait for the day everything is decentraly hosted, and we access it through whatever portal we want.

--

briefcomment 4 hours ago [–]

I watched a Jordan Peterson video on Dr. Oz's official channel, and I got an ad every 3 - 4 minutes. What do you make of that evidence (given I'm not lying)? None of the comments acknowledged it.

mrmcd
Feb 22, 2003

Also "my favorite podcasters can't get paid if they say the gamer word :qq:"

throwaway3699 6 hours ago [–]

Yep. Almost every creator I watch is either demonetized or got banned. I'm sick of watching podcasts or gaming videos where people are saying creepy codewords to get around the censorship algorithm.

Oneiros
Jan 12, 2007

google is almost certainly doing weird/creepy stuff with targeted ads and tracking but they can't even reliably serve me youtube ads in a language i understand, that are relevant to my gender, or that aren't for hundreds of thousands of dollars of niche industrial machinery so trying to read any actual intent behind the digital flailing of the algorithm seems like a fool's game

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

leper khan
Dec 28, 2010
Honest to god thinks Half Life 2 is a bad game. But at least he likes Monster Hunter.
TIL most people get ads on youtube. I thought the market penetration of ad blockers was higher I guess?

lobsterminator
Oct 16, 2012

leper khan posted:

TIL most people get ads on youtube. I thought the market penetration of ad blockers was higher I guess?

It's more rare for people to have adblockers on mobile. But I think having adblockers is surprisingly rare outside of the usual nerd crowd.

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

it can't be a very big problem for google, or they could obviously be more obnoxious about preventing it. e.g. actually set up the backend to not send you further video data in the periods you are expected to be viewing an ad.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

A surprising number of people on hn don't use adblockers, apparently they think it's stealing to watch ad-funded content without watching the ads.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

it can't be a very big problem for google, or they could obviously be more obnoxious about preventing it. e.g. actually set up the backend to not send you further video data in the periods you are expected to be viewing an ad.

i think twitch already does that, if you manage to block their ads (which ublock has difficulty doing) the stream just cuts out until the ad would have ended

the obvious next step would be to interleave the ads into the same video feed as the actual stream so the client can't do anything about them

mrmcd
Feb 22, 2003

iirc Google uses the ad blocker adoption rate as a proxy metric for how much they can turn the pain knob on ads before it starts to drive people off and cannibalize revenue.

mystes
May 31, 2006

mrmcd posted:

iirc Google uses the ad blocker adoption rate as a proxy metric for how much they can turn the pain knob on ads before it starts to drive people off and cannibalize revenue.
It used to be that when I was occasionally on a computer without an ad blocker, youtube ads were at most a mild annoyance, but now it's completely nuts. I don't understand how anyone's watching youtube without an ad blocker.

power botton
Nov 2, 2011

if you serve from the same domain and just insert your ad video in the middle of the streaming playlist is it even possible to block ads?

Seems like they could force us to watch ads if they wanted to

mystes
May 31, 2006

power botton posted:

if you serve from the same domain and just insert your ad video in the middle of the streaming playlist is it even possible to block ads?

They could presumably make the client check whether ads are being played to prevent a normal adblocker from working but that won't necessary prevent people from doing other stuff to block ads. They would probably have to get into a cat and mouse game to shut down stuff like youtube-dl, too.

lobsterminator
Oct 16, 2012

mystes posted:

They could presumably make the client check whether ads are being played to prevent a normal adblocker from working but that won't necessary prevent people from doing other stuff to block ads. They would probably have to get into a cat and mouse game to shut down stuff like youtube-dl, too.

If they forced ads it would be the first time a real opening would appear for a competitor. I know I would watch a lot less YT if there were ads.

So it's probably an acceptable loss to keep users happy.

Pulcinella
Feb 15, 2019
The Basecamp thread is a real goldmine.

caffeine 1 day ago [–]

Your latter example is also expressly undesirable in the workplace. You are hired to build product, not obsess over the diversity of the employee base, unless you are hired in a DEI role specifically.
Asking the questions you are asking is political. Discussing people’s membership in groups like cis or Native American or whatever else IS an unwanted political act. Those group identities are fundamentally political tools. Treating people as anything other than individuals is a political act.
Discrimination happens against an individual. If you see discrimination happen against an individual, and you privately and discretely address it with the appropriate people (could be with those directly involved, with superiors, with HR, whatever seems appropriate in that situation), that is not a political act, it is a moral act of taking care of a coworker.

rayiner 1 day ago [–]

> It’s not the only one, I suppose. But you’re painting it as if it’s not the primary one. It is far and away a position held by those who also profess conservative political values. I understand the hair you’re trying to split, but I don’t feel it’s worth splitting.
Maybe in Afghanistan, but not in the US. The majority of Republicans support gay marriage. Out of those that don’t, few would find “the existence” of a gay person “offensive” even if they reject extending state sanction to gay marriage. For a long time many Americans opposed re-marriage for divorced people. That doesn’t mean they found the existence of divorced people offensive.
I don’t see the point in treating everything short of complete acceptance as equivalent to opposing someone’s “existence.” Some people in America don’t want, as a matter of government policy, immigrants like me coming to the US from Muslim countries. They’re not opposed to “my existence”—invariably they’ll leave me alone if I leave them alone.

Breakfast All Day
Oct 21, 2004

Pulcinella posted:

caffeine 1 day ago [–]

staring in the mirror, shaking, repeating: i am an atom. i am an atom. i am apolitical matter. i am noble and elemental. i am inert and beautiful, not like those dirty loving

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

repiv posted:

i think twitch already does that, if you manage to block their ads (which ublock has difficulty doing) the stream just cuts out until the ad would have ended

that's vastly better than having the ad, though. 30 seconds of silence is probably healthy.

repiv posted:

the obvious next step would be to interleave the ads into the same video feed as the actual stream so the client can't do anything about them

i'm shocked that they don't do this already, tbh. fortunately we have stuff like sponsorblock to crowdsource skipping over the shills. that would work for ads too, unless they started just chopping the video randomly and sticking ads wherever, in which case i would be done with video as a form of media forever

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

To Escape The Shackles Of The Old Forums, We Must Reject The Tribal Negativity He Endorsed

repiv posted:

i've seen a lot of people claim that happens but using ublock origin i've never gotten a twitch ad and i've never had the stream cut out for an ad break and i have no idea why i'd be special

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

they're probably turning a big dial taht says "anti-adblock" on it and constantly looking back at the audience for approval like a contestant on the price is right

for a while they went nuclear on adblock and broke new workarounds on a daily basis but the userbase got so mad they backed off somewhat

https://twitter.com/Lowco2525/status/1323266391861055490

fisting by many
Dec 25, 2009

power botton posted:

there's the catch

maybe google could do it differently because they're google but generally it's not determined where ads are coming from until after the page has loaded and your demographic info has been judged by algorithms

and as a publisher "just put this script tag on your page" is a lot simpler than "integrate this wobbly tower of ever-changing third-party ad code into your backend"

leper khan
Dec 28, 2010
Honest to god thinks Half Life 2 is a bad game. But at least he likes Monster Hunter.

fisting by many posted:

there's the catch

maybe google could do it differently because they're google but generally it's not determined where ads are coming from until after the page has loaded and your demographic info has been judged by algorithms

and as a publisher "just put this script tag on your page" is a lot simpler than "integrate this wobbly tower of ever-changing third-party ad code into your backend"

I'd like to tell you why that doesn't matter for youtube, but first a message for today's sponsor, {SPONSOR}. I've been using {SPONSOR} for years helping me out with {PRODUCT_DOMAIN}. They've really made it easier for me to {PRODUCT_DESCRIPTION} faster and on my own terms. Check out {SPONSOR} with offer code LEPER.

Google owns youtube and therefore can manage that integration themselves for youtube. They probably won't because it would require some amount of work to splice the videos together.

4lokos basilisk
Jul 17, 2008

also custom ads in each video kills the point of caching videos in content delivery networks

probably also required to reencode things a million times more

lobsterminator
Oct 16, 2012

Penisface posted:

That's the dream. Serve unblockable ads while destroying the environment.

epitaph
Dec 31, 2008
it's available from various vendors in the ad serving ecosystem (look for "server-side ad insertion"). but yeah, interacts badly with caching and makes personalization/tracking a pain.

tracecomplete
Feb 26, 2017

Penisface posted:

also custom ads in each video kills the point of caching videos in content delivery networks

Modern streaming is a lot smarter than “here’s an MP4”. HLS and DASH are segmented. You cache the segments and dynamically generate the manifest either with EXT-X-DISCONTINUITY or by dynamically assembling segment lists (which you can cache by cohort or whatever to optimize) and you go get lunch.

As epitaph says it does make personalization somewhat more complex—you have to generate cohorts and targeting logic up front—but it’s not a difficult thing to do.

tracecomplete fucked around with this message at 15:22 on Apr 29, 2021

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

dkarras 4 minutes ago [–]

Rich is a slur these days.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

4lokos basilisk
Jul 17, 2008

tracecomplete posted:

Modern streaming is a lot smarter than “here’s an MP4”. HLS and DASH are segmented. You cache the segments and dynamically generate the manifest either with EXT-X-DISCONTINUITY or by dynamically assembling segment lists (which you can cache by cohort or whatever to optimize) and you go get lunch.

As epitaph says it does make personalization somewhat more complex—you have to generate cohorts and targeting logic up front—but it’s not a difficult thing to do.

but in this case wouldn't it be trivial for me to figure out which segments are ads by streaming one video 2-3 times in parallel and ditching the segments that do not match (i.e. the parts of the video stream that are dynamic and probably ads)?

i admit i know jack poo poo about this but i still feel like it's not an easy thing to do technically, otherwise twitch et al would have already done it

ah well another snag in the plan is that you can not really click an ad served inside a video easily, so this messes with engagement probably