Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Man, Trigger usually saves going to space for the final couple of episodes. Yume in zero grav sure had a lot of animation budget.

Lotta backstory this episode.

Also 5000 years ago lines up with the founding of the First Dynasty of Ancient Egypt. Add this to Yume's ankhs and Gauma's bandages...

Ibblebibble fucked around with this message at 18:40 on Apr 16, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lurking Haro
Oct 27, 2009

So Yume's sister did go to the same school. So the ghost theory was never disproven. gently caress that one translation. Her mother was commenting about Yume not going to the same senior high school.

Kanae had a few notes on the calendar.

It's surprising that Yomogi's coworker knows Koyomi.

Those kaiju really like to hang around like cicada.

We can't fight the kaiju now, we have!!

The teachers sure like to talk about Zeno's paradoxes.

Lurking Haro fucked around with this message at 19:43 on Apr 16, 2021

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
The ending was interesting. It seemed pretty clear that guy did get disintegrated by the meteor and then resurrected a few hours later, so I guess it's not easy to put down ancient (Egyptian?) kaiju users, even though they themselves may not know it.

Apraxin
Feb 22, 2006

General-Admiral

galagazombie posted:

So possible hints of things to come in the OP I noticed When we get closeups of everyone pulling their toys out of their pockets they are facing down a blurry person in the background. Gauma is facing the Eugenicists, Yume is facing herself (maybe her sister), and Koyomi is facing a short girl whose face is obscured but is wearing the same red and black uniform Chise is wearing in the mirror. Hints at future conflicts?
After this episode, I'm pretty sure the last one's Koyomi's old classmate/Yomogi's boss.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Apraxin posted:

After this episode, I'm pretty sure the last one's Koyomi's old classmate/Yomogi's boss.

Who didn't react to Chise.

I'm starting to wonder if the theory that she's some kind of spirit holds together. I mean, she's interacted with the rest of the Dynazenon crew, but the Gridman Alliance could see the invisible. Even if Kaiju are more "normal", seems that it'd make sense for the Dynazenon pilots to be aware of things most people aren't.

Also, Yomogi's boss is in her 30s and married, huh? I guess the ghostly figures in the OP represent regrets from the past. Dead sister, former friends, almost-relationship from back before Koyomi dropped out of society.

Pyronic
Oct 1, 2008

ROYAL RAINWHARRGARBL

Lurking Haro posted:

Those kaiju really like to hang around like cicada.

I think that's emphasizing their 'being reborn after 5000 years' like cicada are dormant for decades.

Also pre-eugenicists i think all the "larval" Kaiju we've seen have been hanging off of walls and buildings like cicadas as well.

Maybe Kaiju as a phenomenon go dormant for 5000 years too?

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Ibblebibble posted:

Also 5000 years ago lines up with the founding of the First Dynasty of Ancient Egypt. Add this to Yume's ankhs and Gauma's bandages...

Oh, that's a good catch. Also, remember that those were originally Kano's ankhs, not Yume's.....Kano couldn't just literally be the person Gauma was talking about, surely?

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
Finally started watching the anime I was most excited for thsi season.

I spent 19 minutes being interested by how it tackles grief in children in the context of family, then SSSS.Dynazenon went DYNAZENON and i was like :supaburn:

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_9GTrxEf110

https://old.reddit.com/r/anime/comments/ms3tlw/ssssdynazenon_episode_3_discussion/gut6yhc/ for the TL

We got a comedy one this week, it's pretty funny.

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!
So after this weeks episode there has definitely got to be something up with Resurrection. Red-Haired Eugenicist totally died and popped back up to life immediately after Yume mused that the power of Kaiju could even bring back the dead. And it may have been the artstyle but it looked like his neck was broken, which would fit with getting whacked by a meteor and growing back like Wolverine or whatever. People have already pointed out the Mummy episode of the original series which likewise had a dude coming back to life after 5000 years with a dragon statue.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit

Ibblebibble posted:

Man, Trigger usually saves going to space for the final couple of episodes. Yume in zero grav sure had a lot of animation budget.

Lotta backstory this episode.

There is a slightly wacky theory that some of the ancestors of Chinese culture originated in Egypt.

There is an element of truth to it, there was quite a bit of cultural diffusion throughout Central Asia between North Africa/Mesopotamia/Persia/India/China, not enough to be a just-so story that explains everything, but enough for some fiction writers to write their hearts out.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Dyna Rex is so cool

Ranzear
Jul 25, 2013

Electric Phantasm posted:

Dyna Rex is so cool

The car tail is a little goofy, but overall it has a fantastic "Now lets gently caress poo poo UP!" vibe to it compared to the robot form.

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011

Ibblebibble posted:

Man, it's an utterly surreal vibe just how casually and in stride everyone just takes in the weirdo kaiju stuff. Really adds to the dream-like quality.
My friend I'm watching this with opined as such this week.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Hogama posted:

I'm sorry, but you're going to have to end that friendship.

utamaru
Mar 8, 2008

BRAP BRAP BRAP BRAP

Hogama posted:

there are things on my screen and they are moving, much like the works of "Wes Anderson"

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Felt like the kaiju power was a bit underutilised this week.

Also rip Yomogi-kun, caught cooties and died.

Exia
Feb 12, 2014
Good episode about demonstrating improper pandemic behavior. Yomogi never washed his hands, kept way to close to everyone, and refused to properly west his mask, terrible hero

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Exia posted:

Good episode about demonstrating improper pandemic behavior. Yomogi never washed his hands, kept way to close to everyone, and refused to properly west his mask, terrible hero

If only Hass was here.

Fun episode, but I'm still kind of wondering when we'll start getting to some reveals. Might be unfair expectations, but Gridman had such good twists and turns that I'm waiting for shoes to start dropping.

(Looking at the first show's pacing, we're probably about due to get some in the next two episodes if any big ones are coming.)

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

chiasaur11 posted:

If only Hass was here.

Fun episode, but I'm still kind of wondering when we'll start getting to some reveals. Might be unfair expectations, but Gridman had such good twists and turns that I'm waiting for shoes to start dropping.

(Looking at the first show's pacing, we're probably about due to get some in the next two episodes if any big ones are coming.)

As far as I’m aware, Dynazenon will be 12 episodes just like Gridman was. Didn’t most of the major reveals start getting dropped around the midpoint of that series?

Speaking of which, I’m curious if this show is going to tie itself back into Gridman at some point (be it the original show or the anime sequel)

Out of curiosity, do this and the previous series just not have next episode previews or are they cut from the international version?

Larryb fucked around with this message at 21:34 on Apr 23, 2021

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

https://twitter.com/Yuyucow/status/1385649246045495299

Given this it looks like this is very much set in the same world as Gridman but there has been some changes. What those are....well we'll probably find out

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

This essentially being what Akane’s world became after she was no longer around to run it would be an interesting idea at the very least (since Kaiju just sort of exist in the world without anyone creating them and don’t even seem all that harmful until one of the Eugenicists take control of them).

Larryb fucked around with this message at 23:41 on Apr 23, 2021

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
Chise sure has mastered the art of popping up out of nowhere.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Hogama posted:

Chise sure has mastered the art of popping up out of nowhere.

Between that, the mention of another memorial, and Gauma wondering after she pilots if anyone is a potential pilot, I'm leaning more and more towards the idea that there's something seriously weird about Chise.

Also, for timing, we had the biggest string of reveals in Gridman (the whole Akane is a god, the world is fake, that background girl is a kaiju whose family owes Gridman) in episode 6. So, probably something big is coming soon.

That said, something that stands out about this show as compared to Gridman for me so far is that the line between the "regular" world and the "toku" world was much stronger. You had characters like Alexis who were clearly coming in from outside, characters like Rikka who were part of the regular world, and you had Akane and Yuta riding the borderline.

Here, the divide feels fuzzy. Kaiju are just a thing that happens for most people, not some intrusion from a TV special.

Also, got a link to the translation for the new audio drama. Yume and Yomogi, which feels natural considering the episode.

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!
I find it interesting that so far the Eugenicist who gets the focus of the episode isn't the one who controls the Kaiju. That's against Toku rules! This episode the little kid was the one who got focus but the girl was the one commanding the Kaiju. Last episode Glasses dude was the one interacting the cast but angry red haired guy controlled it. It's a weird bucking of tradition and I wonder if there's a point to it.

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

The Eugenicists just walking off saying 'good job everyone, see you next time' after their Kaiju gets destroyed was hilarious. I'm not sure if we're supposed to be questioning the extreme casualness of everything so far but it certainly is a very strange aesthetic. In Gridman people were laidback because they never knew they were in danger.

I can't remember, have we confirmed if anyone has actually died in these fights yet?

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Nephthys posted:

The Eugenicists just walking off saying 'good job everyone, see you next time' after their Kaiju gets destroyed was hilarious. I'm not sure if we're supposed to be questioning the extreme casualness of everything so far but it certainly is a very strange aesthetic. In Gridman people were laidback because they never knew they were in danger.

I can't remember, have we confirmed if anyone has actually died in these fights yet?

There was some strong implication in last week's episode that the one Eugenicist who gets super angry all the time got hit and killed by a piece of his Kaiju after it died and subsequently revived the way Gauma's supposed to have, but no confirmation. I don't think there's any hard confirmation of any other casualties tho?

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
There's definitely much less of a sense of oppression and encroaching peril in this show than there was in Gridman. Collateral damage from mecha/kaiju battles is still a thing, but not in a 'wow, a lot less people are showing up for class today' sense.

Hidingo Kojimba
Mar 29, 2010

Darth Walrus posted:

There's definitely much less of a sense of oppression and encroaching peril in this show than there was in Gridman. Collateral damage from mecha/kaiju battles is still a thing, but not in a 'wow, a lot less people are showing up for class today' sense.

Yeah, this world is clearly artificial. People don't significantly alter their behavior when a kaiju rips up downtown, and despite all the collateral damage there's no evidence shown on screen that anybody was even injured by all the falling skyscrapers and collapsing houses, the worst consequence we've seen is a change in the school rota. It's like, artificial in completely the opposite way Akane's world was.

In Akane's world, people still get hurt and die, all the artificiality is hidden out of sight and the world swiftly collapses once people catch on to the inconsistencies. Here the artificial behavior is out in the open and nobody questions it, it's just the way things are that kaiju wreck up peoples houses sometimes and its just mildly annoying.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Like I said, there’s a chance it could still be the same world only it’s started to fall into disarray now that Akane is no longer around to run things (I believe the kaiju responsible for fixing the world after every battle got killed near the end of Gridman as well). But we’ll see I guess.

Of course, if it’s a different artificial world that would mean there’s somebody in charge of it, I’m just not sure who that could be in this case.

Larryb fucked around with this message at 19:05 on Apr 24, 2021

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

SatoshiMiwa posted:

https://twitter.com/Yuyucow/status/1385649246045495299

Given this it looks like this is very much set in the same world as Gridman but there has been some changes. What those are....well we'll probably find out

This is the best part in that thread

https://twitter.com/Yuyucow/status/1385649651760734209

Nephthys posted:

I love how everyone seems to roll with the 5000 years thing.

Hidingo Kojimba
Mar 29, 2010

Electric Phantasm posted:

I love how everyone seems to roll with the 5000 years thing.

Yeah. It's like, in series 1 the world actively hid its strangeness but when they peeked behind the veil the people in it reacted like you'd expect normal people to react.

In series 2, the world doesn't make any attempt to hide its strangeness and people just... roll with it. And because there's no isekai'd person from our world to point out the strangeness and question it (Except Gauma maybe) we aren't sure whether it's just cause they're not question the world they live in cause that's just how things are for them or whether there's some active brainwashing/reprogramming hijinks going on.

Hidingo Kojimba fucked around with this message at 18:56 on Apr 25, 2021

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Hidingo Kojimba posted:

In series 2, the world doesn't make any attempt to hide its strangeness and people just... roll with it. And because there's no isekai'd person from our world to point out the strangeness and question it (Except Gauma maybe) we aren't sure whether it's just cause they're not question the world they live in cause that's just how things are for them or whether there's some active brainwashing/reprogramming hijinks going on.

See I'd just been leaning towards the latter. Wasn't the point of that one midseason reveal in Gridman with that one Kaiju girl who wasn't created by Akane that Kaiju are supposed to be a natural, not-innately-hostile part of this world? Makes sense that things would be this way after the Gridman finale undid Akane's distortions/creations and restored this world to the way it was supposed to be.

That said the fact that people are still pretty calm even when those Kaiju stop chilling out under bridges and start smashing poo poo does still seem a bit odd, we'll see if there's anything there.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Hidingo Kojimba posted:

Yeah. It's like, in series 1 the world actively hid its strangeness but when they peeked behind the veil the people in it reacted like you'd expect normal people to react.

I love that it leads to shots like this and the only people that question it are the people who know who he is.

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

It could be that it genuinely just is still Akane's world and everyone has become aware that they're Akane's creations so they stopped giving a poo poo about kaiju and became super chill about everything. Like how if you know you're in the Matrix you suddenly stop responding to the artificiality of it and become stoic as hell.

Tbh the possibilities that arise if this really is her world are staggering. I'm not really sure how much of a connection she would have after leaving it behind, but it could be that she's the reason no-one seems to be dying in these Kaiju attacks. Like some sort of divine protection. Maybe just like the Eugenicist guy, everyone flattened by a kaiju just stands up and goes 'huh, that's weird' and wanders off afterwards.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
I think the big reveals will come from Yume's sister's plot. Yume will uncover some wacky truth by following that trail in episode 6. Death is a huge thing in the show, as deaths shape those who live. Maybe it's something as insane as this indeed being Akane's world without her, and it being digital means it's running out of memory so people are being despawned without new life coming in.

lih
May 15, 2013

Just a friendly reminder of what it looks like.

We'll do punctuation later.
The Kaiju Eugenicists want a world where Kaiju are necessary, so maybe they want things to be back like they were when Akane's Kaiju reset the world after each of her Kaiju attacks, and are hoping that by causing so much chaos it will cause Akane to divinely intervene again? something like that?

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.
I'm astonished by how lovely Gauma's dyna boat is. Just sits in spot and fires rockets sometimes. What will he do if a kaiju appears away from a body of water

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

goblin week posted:

I'm astonished by how lovely Gauma's dyna boat is. Just sits in spot and fires rockets sometimes. What will he do if a kaiju appears away from a body of water

Well, that's why Gauma would find a canal. Or an inlet.

Or a fjord.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."

goblin week posted:

We aren't 100% sure this world really has those yet.