Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

https://twitter.com/SonicFox/status/1385916691230740484?s=19

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

ChuckDeNomolos posted:

some unorganized thoughts after first viewing:

this is the true successor to mortal kombat annihiliation in every way possible: Ungodly terrible sets (even down using the same trailer set twice), terrible lines with wooden delivery, and too many shots of the desert.

Every time it was a desert shot, I was hoping to see this in the background somewhere, just as an Easter egg

It was a fun enough movie, the plot was a clunker, but I didn't go into it with high hopes. A lot of stuff felt rushed due to spending a bunch of time on exposition and the arcana stuff, it felt like the storyline would have been better served as a season of a show or something.

It was cool to see Kung Lao in the movie at least!

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

I’d like to know what got deleted. Why was Shang Tsung suddenly all dusty and walking thru some camp? What was that? What was the purpose of “the void”? Why is Reptile naked?

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pretty terrible, but what did I expect? Movies are terrible now. That said, i’ll still watch a sequel, why not?

Oh well, we still got Mortal Kombat ‘95.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

McSpanky posted:

Cole literally got the power to turtle to victory like every character with a counter in a laggy match what a loving cheeseball.

:aaaaa:

Kano was right about Cole's arcana lol

ShowTime
Mar 28, 2005
I am really curious to see the weekend numbers, if HBO reveals them. We'll get the box office numbers, but I want to see the streaming numbers. Based on everything i've seen in various communities, this may have been HBOs biggest same day premiere yet. I was watching Twitch most of yesterday and it was in every chat and every streamer I watched talked about it at some point.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Expectations for this were in the basement, so when

(A) The fight choreography was good

(B) The movie was smart enough to know Kano is incredibly lame and just play that up as much as possible until he was entertaining

(C) It was super gory

It came in well above expectations generally, for me. This had the potential to be just completely boring and it wasn't that.

I don't really give a poo poo that the main character is not a thing in the games. This pretty much captures the spirit of the recent games anyway, which have a bunch of Mortal Kombat Kidz now.

gregday posted:

My wife asked why Scorpion was in hell since he seemed like a decent dude when he was alive.

He's basically a wrestling tweener, sometimes he's the good guy and sometimes he's a huge rear end in a top hat.

Mike N Eich
Jan 27, 2007

This might just be the year
The most baffling part of this movie is that at no point is there an actual tournament. Why not just have most of the fights that occur in the film occur during the tournament...the whole premise of Mortal Kombat. Very odd.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Mike N Eich posted:

The most baffling part of this movie is that at no point is there an actual tournament. Why not just have most of the fights that occur in the film occur during the tournament...the whole premise of Mortal Kombat. Very odd.

The game themselves haven’t done an actual tournament in a long while, i think. It’s just an old backdrop of the story at this point.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
I think if you're going to do any justice to MK, you need at least semi self aware camp, great fight choreography, gore, and time to explore the arcs of the 500 characters they have.

I guess what I'm saying is that it needs to be an HBO or streaming network series. Konquest was terrible, Legacy tried to be all realistic and grimdark, give me a full series based on fun bloody mystical martial arts poo poo.

Simulation883
Jan 1, 2007
Watched it with my boyfriend. Fun times overall. Admittedly I'm not too familiar with Mortal Kombat, just seeing some of MK11.

Thoughts:
-Nth'ing the love for Kano. Really fun character. Props to the actor.
-I was trying to figure out if Chase was supposed to be an MK character but it appears not. When he started getting his Arcana, I thought he was getting Jaxx's heated up arms powers from MK11. Similar optics at least.
-Sonya was okay, but I felt she was way too skinny for the character. Show me some bulk.
-Loved the references to the game. I felt the movie was strongest when it was camping it up. "Flawless Victory!" Even if I'm not quite sure who was saying that.
-Goro looked too much like a WoW character for my taste.
-Chase going from losing in cage matches to killing monsters in what appears to be less than a week felt a little forced. Not that I'm looking for drawn out exposition, but at least make him start from a stronger starting point.
-So is the tournament still happening that month? They mentioned it was coming up but felt like they dropped that at the end.

Lemon
May 22, 2003

I really want a Kano & Kabal buddy-rear end in a top hat movie now

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Mike N Eich posted:

Should have called the movie Mortal Kombat Alpha.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

tweet my meat posted:

Also who the gently caress was clamoring for Nitara and Reiko to be in the movie?

A while back I wrote a listicle that ranked every MK character from worst to best. There were strangely a decent amount of people offended that I had Reiko dead last.

meanolmrcloud
Apr 5, 2004

rock out with your stock out

After kinetic and fresh movies like the john wick franchise, you cant just have bland ‘punch block punch throw’ choreography, and that’s what 98% felt like it was. And they had a license for hyper violence too! What a waste. I don’t think anyone would hold bad writing or characters against it too hard, but having uninteresting fights is a pretty big sin.

H13
Nov 30, 2005

Fun Shoe
I had a tonne of fun with this.

I've been a MK fan since the first one. NONE of the games really have anything that resembles a coherent plot. I have never questioned what the gently caress is going on in Mortal Kombat because ultimately it's about people punching people in the face, then killing them in the most hilarious, gory way possible.

This movie had people punching people in the face, then killing them in the most hilarious, gory way possible. If you were looking for anything else from a Mortal Kombat movie, you were, of course going to be disappointed.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

They should have taken those arcana one step further and gone "yeah they also make you way harder to kill", and then just have people tearing the poo poo out of one another with blood going everywhere. Mileena didn't even get to properly bite anyone!

Trillhouse
Dec 31, 2000

The_Rob posted:

There was no reason they needed to go back to the trailer set. It reeked of we can’t afford a fourth set. Also I love super ninja subzero attacking Cole with his prop family and the most he can do is throw snowballs at their car.

lol I though the same thing re: snowballs. Just have him javelin some icicles into the truck. Maybe have one come inches from hurting his family. How hard is this?

I haven't played the MK games for years so I thought the main character was just a character I didn't recognize (see also, flying woman, hammer guy, who actually were characters I didn't know). If you're making a new character for mortal kombat he should be goofy, weird, and interesting. Make the character a Congolese biker, Chinese break-dancing kid, New Zealand oil worker, whatever. Not "lovely american mma fighter".

DorianGravy
Sep 12, 2007

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

The game themselves haven’t done an actual tournament in a long while, i think. It’s just an old backdrop of the story at this point.

Still, it was unsatisfying that characters spent so much time talking about the tournament, and then the movie just dangled it as sequel-bait. It felt like that Simpsons line: "When are they going to get to the fireworks factory?"

The plot of this movie (the good guys prepare for a tournament and the bad guys try to cheat) seems like it should be the first half of a movie, not the whole thing. The movie seemed more interested in setting up a series than being a good movie in itself.

DorianGravy fucked around with this message at 16:42 on Apr 24, 2021

Into The Mild
Mar 4, 2003

Trillhouse posted:

If you're making a new character for mortal kombat he should be goofy, weird, and interesting. Make the character a Congolese biker, Chinese break-dancing kid, New Zealand oil worker, whatever. Not "lovely american mma fighter".

This.

Also there’s only two jobs in New Zealand.

1. Sheep fucker
2. Jacinda Ardern

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM
The biggest misstep was trying to do a trailer fight when Raising Arizona and Kill Bill exist and slammed the door on that a long time ago.

Azubah
Jun 5, 2007

It's funny that Kano is the best part of these movies.

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

*wah wah*

RBX
Jan 2, 2011

DorianGravy posted:

Still, it was unsatisfying that characters spent so much time talking about the tournament, and then the movie just dangled it as sequel-bait. It felt like that Simpsons line: "When are they going to get to the fireworks factory?"

The plot of this movie (the good guys prepare for a tournament and the bad guys try to cheat) seems like it should be the first half of a movie, not the whole thing. The movie seemed more interested in setting up a series than being a good movie in itself.

This is my takeaway but i'm fine with it because they nailed more characters than they misfired.

Grimdude
Sep 25, 2006

It was a shame how he carried on
Why didn't they just make Cole like a young scorpion? Why did they seemingly invest so much in making it seem like that was the goal and then do something much lamer? I mean, "I came from hell to kill you" was still badass but maybe just have scorpion possess the useless character instead idk.

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!

Grimdude posted:

Why didn't they just make Cole like a young scorpion? Why did they seemingly invest so much in making it seem like that was the goal and then do something much lamer? I mean, "I came from hell to kill you" was still badass but maybe just have scorpion possess the useless character instead idk.

Not to mention he gets his rear end beat every single fight. Like I know you gotta show him grow but the first fight he gets his rear end kicked. The. He runs. Then he gets his rear end kicked again. Then he doesn’t do anything until the end.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

It felt like the Sub Zero/Scorpion stuff came from a completely different script that just got shoved in there.

Grimdude
Sep 25, 2006

It was a shame how he carried on
So far then it seems that, unsurprisingly, the boring character they created to be the protagonist was everyone's least favorite part of the movie.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

Azubah posted:

It's funny that Kano is the best part of these movies.

He's also one of the best parts of MK11's story. The whole thing revolves around characters from circa MK2 being brought 20 years into the future, where they meet their future selves. Every pairing has issues. Old Johnny Cage thinks his young self is too much of a douche. Liu Kang and Kung Lao are horrified to find out that they're destined to become evil ghouls. Old Jax is messed up from PTSD and makes decisions his younger self disagrees with. MK2 Scorpion is at his angriest and worst while his MK11 self is the happiest and best version of himself.

Meanwhile, Kano and Kano spend the story straight-up eye-loving each other. Young Kano is so drat excited about how he's still kicking rear end in the future and it's great.

JT Smiley
Mar 3, 2006
Thats whats up!

Grimdude posted:

I like this idea way more than anything that happened in this movie.

As Nero Danced
Sep 3, 2009

Alright, let's do this
Rewatching the 95 movie and yeah, it isn't a good movie either, but it has so much more atmosphere and the 90s campiness is really endearing.

Waiting to hear Raiden say "there can be only one... champion" but I'm not getting my hopes up.

As Nero Danced fucked around with this message at 20:19 on Apr 24, 2021

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Scroll, then. There are other posts than these.

Gavok posted:

He's also one of the best parts of MK11's story. The whole thing revolves around characters from circa MK2 being brought 20 years into the future, where they meet their future selves. Every pairing has issues. Old Johnny Cage thinks his young self is too much of a douche. Liu Kang and Kung Lao are horrified to find out that they're destined to become evil ghouls. Old Jax is messed up from PTSD and makes decisions his younger self disagrees with. MK2 Scorpion is at his angriest and worst while his MK11 self is the happiest and best version of himself.

Meanwhile, Kano and Kano spend the story straight-up eye-loving each other. Young Kano is so drat excited about how he's still kicking rear end in the future and it's great.

Urgh, the movie and this really make me wanna grab 11, but I'm holding out for gamepass. Hopefully I'm still in love with kano by then.

As Nero Danced
Sep 3, 2009

Alright, let's do this
Where should I start if I want to get into the games nowadays anyways? Didn't they reset the franchise a while back? I've never been big on fighting games outside of soul calibur and smash bros but I'd like to try something different.

CubanMissile
Apr 22, 2003

Of Hulks and Spider-Men
There’s no way any of Cole’s stuff was was actually planned. His scenes are obviously hastily re-written parts that were originally meant for Johnny Cage.

You guys were right that MK Legends: Scorpion’s Revenge owns. Looks like WB is keeping up with their long-standing tradition of making terrible live action, but good animated films based on the same thing.

CubanMissile
Apr 22, 2003

Of Hulks and Spider-Men

As Nero Danced posted:

Where should I start if I want to get into the games nowadays anyways? Didn't they reset the franchise a while back? I've never been big on fighting games outside of soul calibur and smash bros but I'd like to try something different.

Mortal Kombat (2015) is a great place to start because it reboots the story. And the follow ups MKX and MK11 are great too.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

As Nero Danced posted:

MK9 (or Mortal Kombat 2011) is a time-travel reboot that retells and alters the events of the first three games with a game engine that actually tries for once. MKX is a 20-years-later next generation thing. Then MK11 is a weird time travel crossover thing that features 1995 Movie Shang Tsung reprising his role and being smug and awesome.

As Nero Danced
Sep 3, 2009

Alright, let's do this
Awesome, thanks!

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

As Nero Danced posted:

The PS3/360 Mortal Kombat (no subtitle, sometimes called MK9) is the game that reset the timeline and is what the modern games follow. If you just want the story people have uploaded the story scenes onto Youtube.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost

CubanMissile posted:

There’s no way any of Cole’s stuff was was actually planned. His scenes are obviously hastily re-written parts that were originally meant for Johnny Cage.

You guys were right that MK Legends: Scorpion’s Revenge owns. Looks like WB is keeping up with their long-standing tradition of making terrible live action, but good animated films based on the same thing.

I’d agree with the rewritten Cage part. I’m not deep on MK actual lore but from the first movie the suggestion that Cage is a fraud or over the hill would line up with sort of being a loser in actual fights at this point vs being some kind of previous champion or celebrity or some such.

I wonder if the studio wanted to make their own character so they could pull him out and plug him into their own franchise and MK was just a vehicle to introduce him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
This movie kost 95 million and looks like it kost in the mid 60s. The lack of kharacter in the setting and the studio mandating a dull kardboard kutout of a leading man really hurt this film. The fight kinemotography was also uneven.