Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wraith of J.O.I.
Jan 25, 2012

thatfuturekid posted:

Spent the last few days binge watching all of Search Party. Overall really enjoyed it for the most part, though I didn’t love S3 as much. The balance of humor and drama was real off and felt way more dumb.

I didn’t vibe with the S4 finale doing a variation of a “It was all a dream”, but after reading the plans for S5 it makes sense and I’m excited to see where they go.

I do hope they revisit the April/June saga because the way it was “resolved” in S3 was dumb af IMO.

The roundabout chase in one of the last episodes was legit one of the funniest things I’ve seen

imo one of the best shows on right now, taking pretty big risks and mostly succeeding. i thought seasons 3 and 4 were a step up from the tbs seasons. i’m not sure exactly what it’s trying to say about a certain type/s of millennial but it is saying it well if that make sense. definitely looking forward to season 5

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
this must be for that show set in the parasite universe

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Its not an S, on my planet it means QUIPS

Unoriginal Name posted:

The correct 2011 choice is The Grey

It is a slow thinkpiece about winter, feelings of ennui and Liam Neeson fist fighting a wolf

You're way underselling it

A) Neeson uses those little airline vodkas and ductape to make broken-bottle-knuckles
B) that wolf is a demonic super wolf
C) he punches it to death as it evicerates him and they die

:rock:

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

gradenko_2000 posted:

and then it ends with "the GRC was so moved by Blacktain America's speech that they dropped all of their plans for global ethnic cleansing and apparently worked out a deal that both doesn't do that and also works"

read this as "Blockchain America" at first and choked on my coffee

FFT
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

it's an amazon prime video thing but if you want a takedown of cape poo poo watch Invincible starring best JJJ as the voice of superman with a mustache

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

FFT posted:

it's an amazon prime video thing but if you want a takedown of cape poo poo watch Invincible starring best JJJ as the voice of superman with a mustache
Wow! Finally a show taking down superheroes, how original!

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 24 hours!

Bootleg Trunks posted:

It's not that madtv was super good or anything but that snl is godawful and has been hyped up as some great worthwhile institution when it was always garbage

Like let's think of the really great impactful skits that have stood the test of time.

1. I'm gumby dammit

2. Chris Farley

P much it

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

FFT posted:

i like the bit where JJJ gets sick of those aliens constantly invading so he just goes to their planet and causally genocides them.

paul_soccer12
Jan 5, 2020

by Fluffdaddy
The invasions made it harder to acquire pictures of spiderman

mazzi Chart Czar
Sep 24, 2005
Was sort of stuck watching TV, and experienced an episode of Loony Tunes.

If you want to talk about models for modern pop culture and politics you can go off for hours on Looney Tunes.

Bugs Bunny is what everybody strives to be: calm, cool, collected, in control of the situation, able to be superior in every way while living their life of leisure. He's similar to Odysseus, or libertarian ideas.

Daffy is what everybody thinks their enemies are. Daffy is easily set off, never wins. stupid, does not know themselves or their limitations, and gets themselves hurt constantly.
Basically Don Quixote, and he is every character in a Tragedy, but without death, so he is just comedic.

Switch to Porky is how people see themselves in relation to the other side. Calm, intelligent, and there to pick up the other side when their create their own failures. Sancho Panza, Hamlet’s Horatio, and a little bit of King Author's Merlin.

Elmer Fudd can stand in for a single person, a group of people, or the whole of humanity. He is one of the few human that is consistent through the Loony Tunes's cast, is the butt of many jokes, and an inversion of the established hierarchy. Human on top, animal below, but in the cartoons Animals are on top and humans are below. The show makes a person root against the humans.

Also root against human creations. Hats are pulled down over Elmer's head. Flood boards are kicked up and wack people in the face. Bugs wears women's clothing and is able to mock human gullibility. Guns don't kill, and are turned on their owners. In a way, civilization is bad

Elmer can also be used as a means to an end. "Duck season. Duck Season. Shoot." Daffy gets his face blow off by the easily trick Elmer.

Even Daffy is able to gain a higher status than Elmer in some cartoon, like the one where it turns out Elmer is a vegetarian. That allows Bugs and Daffy to Hunt Elmer.

Edit:

Wiley E Coyote is obsession, but also gluttony, greed, anybody that wants something and will do anything to get it.
Road Runner is a less fleshed out Bugs Bunny. More of an object than a character.

Animation is about motion, so extended chase sequences that ends with Wiley's body is altered into crazy shapes is almost as pure a distillation as animation can become.

mazzi Chart Czar has issued a correction as of 20:05 on Apr 24, 2021

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
Bugs bunny loses his cool all the time tho

mazzi Chart Czar
Sep 24, 2005

mandatory lesbian posted:

Bugs bunny loses his cool all the time tho

To be honest, I haven't see all the loony tune episodes. There are a lot.

Going off of both memories and just a few episodes like "Rabbit Fire" and "Rabbit Season." It seems like bugs is always coming out on top.

But yeah that is the weeds of looking at every episode to prove that argument is true.
But chock it up as a manupatlation of television. Like all other cartoons could show Bugs breaking down and crying, but because tv picks certain episodes to show, I might have never seen them.

paul_soccer12
Jan 5, 2020

by Fluffdaddy

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
https://twitter.com/nbcsnl/status/1386033593772826624?s=20

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

mazzi Chart Czar posted:

To be honest, I haven't see all the loony tune episodes. There are a lot.

Going off of both memories and just a few episodes like "Rabbit Fire" and "Rabbit Season." It seems like bugs is always coming out on top.

But yeah that is the weeds of looking at every episode to prove that argument is true.
But chock it up as a manupatlation of television. Like all other cartoons could show Bugs breaking down and crying, but because tv picks certain episodes to show, I might have never seen them.

Bugs always comes out on top, but he does get angry and scared. Tbf those are uncommon moments, but he does have flaws that come out sometimes.

Lady Militant
Apr 8, 2020

The history of all hitherto existing society is the history of class struggles.

indigi posted:

if dating apps are to be believed there are a lot of cute 20something Disney Guy ladies. they also love Harry Potter, The Office, and are fluent in sarcasm

the dating scene in orlando is a bleak nightmare you are correct

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

Poor Grimes

Dr. Killjoy
Oct 9, 2012

:thunk::mason::brainworms::tinfoil::thunkher:

uber_stoat posted:

i like the bit where JJJ gets sick of those aliens constantly invading so he just goes to their planet and causally genocides them.

in the comics he also fucks a bug lady

cant wait to see that adapted

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?

Lady Militant posted:

the dating scene in orlando is a bleak nightmare you are correct

this is Philly/NYC metro area lol

Toph Bei Fong
Feb 29, 2008

Bootleg Trunks posted:

Like let's think of the really great impactful skits that have stood the test of time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5fvsItXYgzk

edit for more serious answer:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l_LeJfn_qW0

Toph Bei Fong has issued a correction as of 17:33 on Apr 25, 2021

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
I love the Fast movies, but not liking the "back to brunch" vibes from this.
https://twitter.com/thefastsaga/status/1386353590411747328?s=21

Echo Chamber has issued a correction as of 18:33 on Apr 25, 2021

Lady Militant
Apr 8, 2020

The history of all hitherto existing society is the history of class struggles.

indigi posted:

this is Philly/NYC metro area lol

yah and it's worse in orlando. you've had to deal with lil chaos incursions while iv had to vibe in the eye of terror for most of college

DesertIslandHermit
Oct 7, 2019

It's beautiful. And it's for the god of...of...arts and crafts. I think that's what he said.

Echo Chamber posted:

I love this Fast movies, but not liking the "back to brunch" vibes from this.

Hollywood lost money to COVID and has been pushing really hard on the 'Back to Normal' poo poo. Hence all the stupid stuff with the Oscars.

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!

DesertIslandHermit posted:

Hollywood lost money to COVID and has been pushing really hard on the 'Back to Normal' poo poo. Hence all the stupid stuff with the Oscars.

they forced people to go to the oscars lmao

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

Echo Chamber posted:

I love the Fast movies, but not liking the "back to brunch" vibes from this.

All movies or TV is just back to brunch or time to put away you toys and grow up millenials/zoomers.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
Greatest ad campaign in history. I've always enjoyed the franchise and I am super glad they're going all in on saying yes we are bringing america back via muscle cars and explosions and hugs

paul_soccer12
Jan 5, 2020

by Fluffdaddy
Looking forward to seeing elderly actor Vin diesel back on the big screen!

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
https://twitter.com/gravelinstitute/status/1386429179638423552?s=21

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

Honestly the loving rehabilitation of W is enough for me that there it's no difference between our two capitalist parties

DesertIslandHermit
Oct 7, 2019

It's beautiful. And it's for the god of...of...arts and crafts. I think that's what he said.

KomradeX posted:

Honestly the loving rehabilitation of W is enough for me that there it's no difference between our two capitalist parties

Thinking about the trailer of the first season finale of Blowback where it played clips of Bush and his friends all on morning and late night talkshows to excited celebrities and applause.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

lol suck it, chadwick

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

Lmao the dead guy was supposed to get it you old Hollywood pedophiles

DesertIslandHermit
Oct 7, 2019

They really saved Best Actor for last and it ended up going to Hopkins instead.

Whoops.

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Most inclusive Oscars ever. They kicked the homeless people out for this. Liberalism in a nutshell.

The Unnamed One
Jan 13, 2012

"BOOM!"
Well, the Oscar ended up with a guy who didn't attend the cerimony, in the end.

The twist being not because he was dead, but because he was too old to give a gently caress

DesertIslandHermit
Oct 7, 2019

The Groundhog Day short of a black man being killed by a cop repeatingly in a loop won Best Short and that's the weirdest thing of tonight.

DesertIslandHermit
Oct 7, 2019

The Unnamed One posted:

Well, the Oscar ended up with a guy who didn't attend the cerimony, in the end.

The twist being not because he was dead, but because he was too old to give a gently caress

He played smart.

The Unnamed One
Jan 13, 2012

"BOOM!"
Also how the gently caress do you leave John Saxon out of the in memorian section? The man who created and perfected the "John Saxon-type dude" roles

https://twitter.com/Crabin/status/1386519975679168518?s=19

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

lol at farina'd

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DesertIslandHermit
Oct 7, 2019

The Unnamed One posted:

Also how the gently caress do you leave John Saxon out of the in memorian section? The man who created and perfected the "John Saxon-type dude" roles

https://twitter.com/Crabin/status/1386519975679168518?s=19

Hollywood and media culture have goldfish memories and only the most popular culture is remembered.