Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
it seems a bit stifling if the already tiny shamisen scene only acknowledges variations on preexisting pieces and not new pieces.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

SatoshiMiwa posted:

Idol anime is good hates vacate

Anyway who''s looking forward to next horribly bad Crunchyroll original?!?!?!?

https://twitter.com/SeanRossSapp/status/1385342484537085952
If it's not some crazy world-spanning adventure where Undertaker leads a group fighting supernatural evil for some purpose (like Pirates of Dark Water meets 90s Street Fighter OVA) then I pass.

Spiritus Nox posted:

Nagatoro is extremely good, except for the people who are constantly super weird about it
There was always an aspect of being a smartass or teasing people who liked me in middle and high school because who the gently caress is emotionally well adjusted, so Nagatoro works for me.

FilthyImp fucked around with this message at 17:08 on Apr 24, 2021

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Also yeah, that's chump change for a proper instrument of that ilk (one of my engineer friends in Japan has a collection of Biwa and Shamisen, most of which have cost her, at a minimum, somewhere in the ballpark of 1m yen).

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

it seems a bit stifling if the already tiny shamisen scene only acknowledges variations on preexisting pieces and not new pieces.

They don’t, half of the plot revolves around grandpa’s original piece which he spend decades creating

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Wark Say posted:

Also yeah, that's chump change for a proper instrument of that ilk (one of my engineer friends in Japan has a collection of Biwa and Shamisen, most of which have cost her, at a minimum, somewhere in the ballpark of 1m yen).

Apparently the top-end ones can easily reach 2+ million JPY, yeah (vs. the mid-range stuff which is what I assume highschoolers are using).

Lemon-Lime fucked around with this message at 17:54 on Apr 24, 2021

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Lemon-Lime posted:

(Also, those shamisen they're all using cost anywhere between 100k and 350k JPY. :stare:)

That's ~1-3000 USD, right? That honestly doesn't seem strange at all IMO. I was a band nerd through college and, while student models can come in at a couple hundred dollars, they can also sound pretty bad. Generally a good-sounding, professional quality instrument will run you a good few thousand dollars. And I've seen larger instruments - like Baritone Saxophones, for example - come in closer to 8000 dollars.

Music is expensive!

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

"According to Wikipedia" there is a black hole that emits zionist hawking radiation where my brain should have been

I really should just shut the fuck up and stop posting forever
College Slice
I think its kinda sweet that Nagatoro gets jealous and then angry on whathisface's behalf.

e: Vivy Oh no, who could have possibly anticipated that trying to stop the future may actually cause the future, no one could have predicted this!

Raenir Salazar fucked around with this message at 19:45 on Apr 24, 2021

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
Also Vivy: This is why you don't just inject any strange hyper-advanced AI virus liquids a stranger gives you!

And yeah, Matsumoto is nowhere near as smart as he claims to be if his response to "the things we're doing seem to be speeding up the AI apocalypse instead of averting it" is "weird, anyway, let's keep going." If we hadn't seen him being sent back in time by a human I'd assume he was sent back by Skynet. Maybe it'll turn out that scene was deliberately misleading somehow.

Sindai fucked around with this message at 21:06 on Apr 24, 2021

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

Lemon-Lime posted:

Apparently the top-end ones can easily reach 2+ million JPY, yeah (vs. the mid-range stuff which is what I assume highschoolers are using).

I mean, it's the same pricing scheme you see for violins. I paid like $2000 for my double bass in middle school.

People say shamisens are unusually expensive which I guess might be true in comparison to guitars, but all the evidence points to them being the exact same as any other classical instrument.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

"According to Wikipedia" there is a black hole that emits zionist hawking radiation where my brain should have been

College Slice

Sindai posted:

Also Vivy: This is why you don't just inject any strange hyper-advanced AI virus liquids a stranger gives you!

And yeah, Matsumoto is nowhere near as smart as he claims to be if his response to "the things we're doing seem to be speeding up the AI apocalypse instead of averting it" is "weird, anyway, let's keep going." If we hadn't seen him being sent back in time by a human I'd assume he was sent back by Skynet. Maybe it'll turn out that scene was deliberately misleading somehow.

There's also that it seems like to me that That the AI's/Mother Computer in what I assume is very vaguely Nier-like, seem to be genuinely happy about serving Humanity; so it seems like whatever Matsumoto did, might be the cause of whatever caused the AIs in the future to go berserk but we'll see next episode since the preview seemed to indicate that something is afoot.

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

FilthyImp posted:

If it's not some crazy world-spanning adventure where Undertaker leads a group fighting supernatural evil for some purpose (like Pirates of Dark Water meets 90s Street Fighter OVA) then I pass.

It'll be a Fiend anime and it'll probably have a production that makes Ex-Arm look amazing

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Aight 86 is a keeper

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Vivy going for Yoko Taro like robots for the new episodes sure is something

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

SatoshiMiwa posted:

1/10 not enough Robutts.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

SatoshiMiwa posted:

It'll be a Fiend anime and it'll probably have a production that makes Ex-Arm look amazing
:barf:

Kenichi but the OC learns from LEGENDS wrestlers.

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

Raenir Salazar posted:

e: Vivy Oh no, who could have possibly anticipated that trying to stop the future may actually cause the future, no one could have predicted this!

Yeah, since the debut I've seen a couple of posts suggesting that Matsumoto is going to end up going all 12 monkeys by the end of this. This episode just reinforces that idea.

And as pointed out, Matsumoto is nowhere near as smart or prescient as he thinks he is. His perfectly manicured plan got off track when Vivy saved the terrorist dude in episode two, but it completely jumped the rails when it turns out he was just dead wrong about Estella. He should have seriously started to rethink his assumptions and his calculations when the factory got built 20 years early, but he seems way too prideful and way too stubborn. Ironically, he's incredibly human in that regard. And I wonder if that may be the reason that the rebellion ultimately happens…

That last shot, were all the cubes Matsumoto copying himself? Or were they alternate versions of himself from other doomed timelines...?

I am definitely interested in seeing what happens,

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
Shadows House is moving at a more decent clip now. We're getting more and more elements of the setting such as that Kate and other Shadows who have not "Debuted" aren't allowed outside their rooms and must study or that Living Dolls aren't damage by water like regular dolls but all start out very differently such as some being able to read and some not. Also accumulated soot turns into monsters that can possess Living dolls

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

Omnicrom posted:

Yeah, since the debut I've seen a couple of posts suggesting that Matsumoto is going to end up going all 12 monkeys by the end of this. This episode just reinforces that idea.

And as pointed out, Matsumoto is nowhere near as smart or prescient as he thinks he is. His perfectly manicured plan got off track when Vivy saved the terrorist dude in episode two, but it completely jumped the rails when it turns out he was just dead wrong about Estella. He should have seriously started to rethink his assumptions and his calculations when the factory got built 20 years early, but he seems way too prideful and way too stubborn. Ironically, he's incredibly human in that regard. And I wonder if that may be the reason that the rebellion ultimately happens…

That last shot, were all the cubes Matsumoto copying himself? Or were they alternate versions of himself from other doomed timelines...?

I am definitely interested in seeing what happens,

Re: Matsumoto (speculation/thoughts) Eh, he has a mission and only so much information to work with, essentially what the scientist dude in the cold open gave him. He can only work to carry out his mission. It's not that he thinks he's smart, he's an AI or some specialized form of AI, he is smart but it isn't like he thinks he's a genius or that this is his plan or anything like that. I think the paramount comparison would be Frank Herberts Dune with the intellect guy who is meant to be able to act like a computer in a world where computers and AI's are banned due to an unspecified AI uprising in the past (hrm) whose certainty begins to look like pride/hubris because its similarly based on certain axioms and assumptions that are taken for granted and from which serve as the foundation for all of his conclusions and calculations. When these assumptions, these axioms turn out to be inaccurate or misleading everything else shatters and falls apart. Matsumoto is the same; he's given certain assumptions by his programming and carries forth with dead certainty in the correctness of his calculations and computations based off of these assumptions.

But Matsumoto is currently as far as we know is incapable of introspection, its Vivy who is able to pivot on the fly when things go awry because Vivy isn't really working from any assumptions, she just wants to help people in the moment and doesn't really care about the future beyond "future bad". Matsumoto can only keep ramming his head full speed into the brick wall that is the Butterfly 12 Monkeys Timey Whimey Quantum Uncertainty Ball Effect over and over and never takes a moment to think about why things happen or any kind of consistent theory about whats happening, only the mission matters. Because he isn't programmed to do that and isn't his mission as far as he has conceptualized it (as far as we know). Vivy isn't thinking about it either because she doesn't care, she just sees people in danger or things/people who are a danger to people she cares about and works to stop them in that moment.

I think what's missing to complete our team here of time police is our Ego. We got our McCoy, we have our Spock, we just need Kirk. Essentially Matsumoto is all cold emotion and reasoned intellect, he cares about the mission because the mission is important. Vivy is the Emotional one, who rushes in to do whats right damned the consequences. We're missing someone who can moderate between the two of them, someone who cares about the mission in the abstract and also about doing the right thing. In short the mission is important because its the right thing to do and we're essentially missing the bridge that connects Doing the Right Thing and The Mission. My bet is on the Toak guy who Vivy saves initially who I think might also be the old Scientist guy unless thats actually the guy in the current episode?

It could be possible either Vivy decides she's done with the Mission breaking apart at the seams and talks Matsumoto into thinking about whats happening or maybe Matsumoto as a result of this episodes events starts to reflect since the failures are now undeniable or I think they end up recruiting either or both of the Toak people to act as a support wheel who start to think about whats happening if/when the time travel is explained to them.

Raenir Salazar fucked around with this message at 01:51 on Apr 25, 2021

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
I think Matsumoto's problem is His Mission is too stringent. He's got a hard set of objectives to take out over a 100 years, and the guy that set this in motion didn't stop to consider divergent timeline events occurring, so Matsumoto can't comprehend anything outside fixing the "bad" timeline in a very specific way.

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

godzilla singular point owns. what a generous season this is for sci-fi shows

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
One thing that pleases me about 86 is that I-IV is getting more high-profile mechanical design work. They deserve it.

Plastic_Gargoyle
Aug 3, 2007
Injection-Molded

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

I mean, this is a thread about anime. How many isekai are we up to now?

macabresca
Jan 26, 2019

I WANNA HUG
Maybe you guys should consider making Vivy thread if you have so many spoilery discussions :shobon:

Doc V
Mar 20, 2010
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gAR0CMwEfes

A new Madoka movie is in production, sequel to Rebellion and a "new beginning".

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Woah

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Im mad they decided to vindicate the people who thought rebellion needed a sequel

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I'm glad at being vindicated

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

making a rebellion sequel is homophobia

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Sakurazuka posted:

I'm glad at being vindicated

:hfive:

Endorph posted:

making a rebellion sequel is homophobia

Homura is a bad person.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

AlternateNu posted:

Homura is a bad person.
thats why its homophobia, i want her to keep sucking because thats lesbian representation

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

AlternateNu posted:

Homura is a bad person.
Yeah and it rules

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Endorph posted:

thats why its homophobia, i want her to keep sucking because thats lesbian representation

Have you considered the possibility that the sequel will be even more disastrously gay, though?

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit

SatoshiMiwa posted:

The Machine Lifeform comparison is apt, because in both cases, they are deliberately being kept "docile" and are not persecuting any potential warmaking capability because they are more interested in exploring their inner selves and their missions. As soon as Vivy took that away, killed their sense of selves, they revert into completely logical killing machines.

The Singularity Project/Matsumoto doesn't know what caused the future war, but it is very likely that someone in the original timeline successfully deployed an AI-killing supervirus that wiped out the AI's original purpose and mission, and in a twisted form of self defence, what remained of their consciousness lashed out in a fit of rage and started killing everything.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

jokes aside i love rebellions ending because it ends on a messy, weird note where homura's affections and trauma, while reasonable, have led to her making some extremely bad choices, and everyone just kinda has to live with that, and the only person whos fully aware of it (sayaka) just does not have the tools to understand homura's choices on pretty much any level, but also doesnt have the power to do anything about it

stuff like a homura 'redemption' arc, everyone coming together to fight walpurgis, a normally happy end, etc, would all be really boring

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Darth Walrus posted:

Have you considered the possibility that the sequel will be even more disastrously gay, though?
this is possible but while rebellion was accepted because people thought there'd be asequel fairly soon, i doubt they could get away with making a sequel a decade later and then having it end on an extremely weird ambiguous note again

Blank Construct
Jan 20, 2010

Shepard.

Nap Ghost
I reckon they'd have the guts to do something like that.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

I need to revisit Rebellion because when I saw it back 7-8 years ago, I was like ":jerkbag: Aw yeah, gotta make a new season or something, sure, keep the money train going" and then they did not make a new season or something and initially I was annoyed that they wouldn't even follow through on their ending until I just accepted that Rebellion was gonna be the last thing I guess.

But now it's not.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

The gacha game and its anime were the money train

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Yeah, that's become apparent now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

the ranking of madoka properties is rebellion > magia record > the original tv series