Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

learnincurve posted:

The question someone cleverer than me will ask is exactly what kind of gears and brakes do you have? Cantilever limits your options a bit but it’s all still easily doable.

The sassy answer to that question is that i have none for I am a human.

The less sassy question is that I still dont have a bike yet, but the ones I am interested are the Jamis Renegade S3 and S4. The S3 has the Shimano GRX with hydraulic breaks and the S4 has the Shimano Sora. Preliminary google search tells there are parts available

CopperHound posted:

If you're thinking about buying a bike to convert. Don't.

I know salsa and other manufacturers sell flatbar gravel bikes. This is more a curiosity questions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bicievino
Feb 5, 2015

It isn't hard, but it is expensive. You're essentially buying a complete new drivetrain unless you do something fairly janky.

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

ElMaligno posted:

I know salsa and other manufacturers sell flatbar gravel bikes. This is more a curiosity questions.
The drop bar and flat bar versions have different frame geometry. Take a look at the journeyman measurements.

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

Thank you all for answering my questions.

bicievino
Feb 5, 2015

ElMaligno posted:

Well after reading, googling and thinking I think i have two finalist for Gravel Biek.

1) Cannondale Topstone 1 - Tubeless tire ready, ok colors
2) Specialized Diverge Elite E5 - Can go 650b if ya want, better colors

The Topstone has been on my mind more though... But what ya guys think?

Just don't miss out on another 6 months of gravel riding with chronic indecision, 'kay?

Development
Jun 2, 2016

just buy the bike that you can get physically in your hands. don’t play the “it’ll be here next week” game.

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

bicievino posted:

Just don't miss out on another 6 months of gravel riding with chronic indecision, 'kay?

1) Been trying to sell my motorcycle for that long.
2) I was hit by SAD and depression at the same time
3) Winter loving sucks

On the positive side i may have a buyer for the motorcycle..

bicievino
Feb 5, 2015

ElMaligno posted:

1) Been trying to sell my motorcycle for that long.
2) I was hit by SAD and depression at the same time
3) Winter loving sucks

On the positive side i may have a buyer for the motorcycle..

Huzzah! Let the spirit of gravel embrace you

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

Development posted:

don’t play the “it’ll be here next week” game.
I agree but I think you should elaborate that to mean that you shouldn't trust any shop's claimed delivery times for anything they don't have in stock.
They might be totally honest, but can be victims of totally optimistic / bullshit times from their suppliers.

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

kimbo305 posted:

I agree but I think you should elaborate that to mean that you shouldn't trust any shop's claimed delivery times for anything they don't have in stock.
They might be totally honest, but can be victims of totally optimistic / bullshit times from their suppliers.

This is the main reason i went from wanting a Cannondale to a Jamis.

I have a Jamis available to buy as soon as i have the money Vs having to order the Cannondale and/or looking for it in other farther away shops.

Biggus Duckus
Feb 13, 2012

Also Jamis gravel bikes are really good!

Senf
Nov 12, 2006

ElMaligno posted:

This is the main reason i went from wanting a Cannondale to a Jamis.

I have a Jamis available to buy as soon as i have the money Vs having to order the Cannondale and/or looking for it in other farther away shops.

I scored a Gorilla Monsoon for like $10 last night and am now selling my medium 2021 Topstone 1. It’s a drat good bike, but I can’t justify both it and the GM, especially when I know the GM is gonna become my daily with its hilarious monster truck capabilities.

Hit me up if you have any questions!

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Senf posted:

Gorilla Monsoon

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

Senf posted:

I scored a Gorilla Monsoon for like $10 last night and am now selling my medium 2021 Topstone 1. It’s a drat good bike, but I can’t justify both it and the GM, especially when I know the GM is gonna become my daily with its hilarious monster truck capabilities.

Hit me up if you have any questions!

I dont have any questions, I just want to sell my motorcycle to a non flake

Cat Ass Trophy
Jul 24, 2007
I can do twice the work in half the time
I am just here to vent today. loving gravel bike, if you give it any reason to make noise or break parts, it will do both in a heartbeat. I keep it clean and lubed, but it is a constant battle.

I have a 1 year old Revolt 0 with 1850 miles on it. So far I have replaced 2 BB's, 1 crankset, 1 headset, 2 chains, 3 sets of brake pads, chainrings, a freehub body, a small chainring and a seat post. Granted, I am a heavy rider and I push the bike hard, but things are just not holding up the way I would expect them to. The road bike holds up just fine, but I am going through a lot more parts than I expected on the Revolt.

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

I looked up your bike out of curiosity and it looks like they put a praxis crank on the 2020 and a shimano crank on the 2021 so they know they hosed up

MacPac
Jun 2, 2006

Grimey Drawer
You need to buy it from the factory to get the real sturdy revolt :v:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mmdxs_0yYwc

sweat poteto
Feb 16, 2006

Everybody's gotta learn sometime

Cat rear end Trophy posted:

I have a 1 year old Revolt 0 with 1850 miles on it. So far I have replaced 2 BB's, 1 crankset, 1 headset, 2 chains, 3 sets of brake pads, chainrings, a freehub body, a small chainring and a seat post. Granted, I am a heavy rider and I push the bike hard, but things are just not holding up the way I would expect them to. The road bike holds up just fine, but I am going through a lot more parts than I expected on the Revolt.

:psyduck: this is not normal.

vikingstrike
Sep 23, 2007

whats happening, captain

Clark Nova posted:

I looked up your bike out of curiosity and it looks like they put a praxis crank on the 2020 and a shimano crank on the 2021 so they know they hosed up

What’s wrong with Praxis cranks? Nobody I know has had issues with them. Aluminum or carbon.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Unpaved shoulders count as gravel. Change my mind

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

iospace posted:

Unpaved shoulders count as gravel. Change my mind

The entirety of American road infrastructure counts as gravel.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

ElMaligno posted:

The entirety of American road infrastructure counts as gravel.

Not wrong.

Cat Ass Trophy
Jul 24, 2007

vikingstrike posted:

What’s wrong with Praxis cranks? Nobody I know has had issues with them. Aluminum or carbon.

Well for me, i broke a chainring, cracked 3 of the 4 spider arms, and the bearings went bad. All within 500 miles. Cracked a second spider after another 700, bearings went bad again too. I replace the whole mess with a DA BB and 810 GRX double. But I think that BB is about to poo poo the bed too. The OEM crankst was a Praxxis Zyante double.

vikingstrike
Sep 23, 2007

whats happening, captain

Cat rear end Trophy posted:

Well for me, i broke a chainring, cracked 3 of the 4 spider arms, and the bearings went bad. All within 500 miles. Cracked a second spider after another 700, bearings went bad again too. I replace the whole mess with a DA BB and 810 GRX double. But I think that BB is about to poo poo the bed too. The OEM crankst was a Praxxis Zyante double.

Geez. Thats a bad run for sure. Maybe you should start the fuckpraxismemes insta

Cat Ass Trophy
Jul 24, 2007

vikingstrike posted:

Geez. Thats a bad run for sure. Maybe you should start the fuckpraxismemes insta

Their customer service was really spot on, and I got a cool t-shirt out of the deal. So I'll give them a pass. I am a larger gentleman racer at 190 ponds, ans I do put out a fair amount of the watt things. My friends do keep a list of BBM parts (Broken By Mark), so breaking stuff is by no means unique to the Revolt. Among the other bikes I ride, this year I have also cracked the left and right arm or a DA 9000 crankset, a replica CInelli 1A stem, 2 pairs of handlebars and another seat post. Not to mention a Propel frame and fork, but the was a dumb rear end crash where I rode into the back of a parked truck while daydreaming.

abigserve
Sep 13, 2009

this is a better avatar than what I had before
I got a new bike!

Lots of gravel to ride here, and there's a relaxed but super long single track that goes up a hill. Most of it is as below:

I did 50ks today on the dirt with like 15 of that on singletrack.

tylertfb
Mar 3, 2004

Time.Space.Transmat.
Has anybody done any gravel riding around Gunnison Colorado? Possibly visiting family friends there for a week in July and am looking for some routes to ride.

Cannon_Fodder
Jul 17, 2007

"Hey, where did Steve go?"
Design by Kamoc
Cross-posting from the Bike Touring thread since it's pretty silent.

Cannon_Fodder posted:

Attempted to 2-day the 100 mile Coast to Coast Gravel Grinder.

Here's the route: https://www.strava.com/routes/22770635

We were going to start from the opposite side and cut out the beginning and end 7 miles.

It was so loving cold the second day that we edited out quite a bit of it.

Anyway, here's the ride. We had a ton of fun and the route kicked our rear end really badly on the first day.
https://www.strava.com/activities/5196371527

I'm in love. Touring rules. Bikepacking rules. Climbing sand/gravel hills rules*.

VacaGrande
Dec 24, 2003
God! A red nugget! A fat egg under a dog!

tylertfb posted:

Has anybody done any gravel riding around Gunnison Colorado? Possibly visiting family friends there for a week in July and am looking for some routes to ride.

Haven't ridden them but there are gravel roads through Hartman Rocks.... which you'll see as you're mountain biking there, which is what you should be doing instead of riding gravel.

Bud Manstrong
Dec 11, 2003

The Curse of the Flying Criosphinx

tylertfb posted:

Maybe head up to Crested Butte if you can? Gunnison is nice, but it’ll be real hot and CB is unreal. If you wanted to ride there you could try taking 730 along Ohio Creek from Gunnison up to Kebler Pass road. Kebler Pass itself will be spectacular that time of year. You could also ride from downtown CB up over Schofield Pass then go back through Oh Be Joyful on 734. I don’t know what the conditions or the roads are like other than Kebler Pass (busy, beautiful) and 317 up to Schofield Pass (also insanely beautiful). Just wanted to offer some ideas.

Gothic Valley looking down from the 401 trail off Schofield Pass.

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

I finally sold my motorcycle and I got a good amount of spending money. Getting the bike, a better fitting helmet and fenders because rainy Oregon.

highme
May 25, 2001

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

ElMaligno posted:

I finally sold my motorcycle and I got a good amount of spending money. Getting the bike, a better fitting helmet and fenders because rainy Oregon.

Where in Oregon? If Portland area the Sierra in Tanasbourne has SKS Speedrockers for around $40-50. They have decent coverage and are easy to take on and off so you don’t always have them on. I had a pair of the nice PDW fenders at first and but mounting them to the Diverge was more of a hassle than I wanted.

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

I'm in coastal north west oregon and we have a decent bike shop in town. They have a few gravel bikes available so I'll check them out and then go to Portland to check other bikes out.

highme
May 25, 2001

Oops, missed the "getting the bike" part of your original post. Hopefully you can find something local, I don't know how well stocked the Portland shops are.

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

highme posted:

Oops, missed the "getting the bike" part of your original post. Hopefully you can find something local, I don't know how well stocked the Portland shops are.

I mentioned this earlier on the thread, but the local shop has like two Jamis Renegade, a Surley Long Haul Trucker and i know they did get a large shipment of Surley bikes but I have no idea what they got.

Biggus Duckus
Feb 13, 2012

Renegades are nice, I would definitely recommend it if they have your size and price range.

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

A size 54 Renegade S3, im picking it up tomorrow.

bicievino
Feb 5, 2015

ElMaligno posted:

Oh gently caress that's a good color.

Crumps Brother
Sep 5, 2007

-G-
Get Equipped with
Ground Game

ElMaligno posted:

Oh dang. You got all sorts of fun riding ahead of you on that thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

highme
May 25, 2001

ElMaligno posted:

That’s a pretty bike.