Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

19 o'clock
Sep 9, 2004

Excelsior!!!

DOPE FIEND KILLA G posted:

i think the backstory to that was that the clock in the theater was a minute off, and he couldn't fix it, so in order for movie heads across the globe to tune in properly with the victorville screenings they would have to account for that time difference

That is (a) precisely what would happen to Gregg and (b) exactly how Gregg would handle it.

Let’s face it: Gregg has always been a bit ahead of the rest of Hollywood. This fits.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

a broken clock is only wrong if you don't make a timezone dedicated to it

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Yesterday I figured out that Kington got his name from Turkington.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

shutup you spelled it wrong it's klingtin with an l and an i

derp
Jan 21, 2010

when i get up all i want to do is go to bed again

Lipstick Apathy

Detective No. 27 posted:

Yesterday I figured out that Kington got his name from Turkington.

omg how did i never realize this. turKington heiDecker

ALFbrot
Apr 17, 2002
Truly astonished how many times I've seen people have this realization

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Decker was obvious to me from the start but it took some dumbposting for me to realize Kington was the same thing. I thought it was great as a standalone name because it’s almost but not quite just a basic normal joe name, like Tim calls him Kingston once or twice

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

Tim loves to put an L there listen close. Which makes sense since is trick to doing the character is to get the que cards blurry and squint at them and try and read it phonetically and don't try and guess what the word is so it likely looks like Klngtn

wuggles
Jul 12, 2017

oh boy oh boy oh boy

I love Gregg because I have a friend who talks about video games the same way Gregg talks about movies. He'll call a series with one game in 1993 the "___" franchise.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

pixaal posted:

Tim loves to put an L there listen close. Which makes sense since is trick to doing the character is to get the que cards blurry and squint at them and try and read it phonetically and don't try and guess what the word is so it likely looks like Klngtn

Ah man I wondered how he does that poo poo. It's pretty drat hard lol

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Tim was interviewed on NPR a few years ago and he talked about how he comes up with the distinctive Decker voice:

https://www.npr.org/2019/11/18/780524375/tim-heidecker-the-craziest-day-of-my-career

The whole thing is only 12 minutes long and worth listening to but the bit about the Decker process starts a bit before the 6-minute mark.

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

Last year's special is going to be hard to top. Rewatching it, I dont remember at what point I realized what the joker's trick was, but god what a payoff. A feat of acting and live editing

huh
Jan 23, 2004

Dinosaur Gum

Ingmar terdman posted:

Last year's special is going to be hard to top. Rewatching it, I dont remember at what point I realized what the joker's trick was, but god what a payoff. A feat of acting and live editing

Yeah it's so impressive. I wonder if they do a full dress rehearsal. I reckon they don't because it all still seems so spontaneous. But at the same time they've obviously set up cameras for specific shots.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

I think top Oscar Specials for me are last years, 3rd, and 4th.

I wonder if Kim Delgado from the 3rd special is connected with the Delgado family.

TTBF
Sep 14, 2005

In 20 minutes HEI Network is doing a stress test for the special by showing last year's special. You'll need an account though

e: seems to be staying steady at 372 viewers

TTBF fucked around with this message at 01:27 on Apr 24, 2021

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Christ it's genius how Tim springs his romantic surprise of an ANNULMENT (oh and also will you marry me again) in like theoretically the worst possible way in the universe

19 o'clock
Sep 9, 2004

Excelsior!!!

Data Graham posted:

Christ it's genius how Tim springs his romantic surprise of an ANNULMENT (oh and also will you marry me again) in like theoretically the worst most romantic possible way in the universe

ftfy

Cognac McCarthy
Oct 5, 2008

It's a man's game, but boys will play

The annulment and remarriage definitely took care of a prenup.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
On one hand tim has several divorces under his belt, on the other hand hes bad enough at reading fine print that he got fleeced by MoneyZap, maybe Toni will get the last laugh

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Tim taking Toni's name is definitely part of some scheme.

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

Detective No. 27 posted:

Didn't he sign a prenup in the movie and then by annulment and remarrying he got around it?

Heavy_D
Feb 16, 2002

"rararararara" contains the meaning of everything, kept in simple rectangular structures

Detective No. 27 posted:

I think he's just run out of permutations of his own surname for projects, and needs something new in the tank there.

huh
Jan 23, 2004

Dinosaur Gum

Detective No. 27 posted:

And it's Toni's married name that he takes. He doesn't realise until toward the end of the Oscar Special when he asks here why her parents don't have the same last name as her.

huh fucked around with this message at 08:34 on Apr 24, 2021

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

So this is probably the Free Space on the OC bingo card but "cancel culture" has got to be Tim's newest bugaboo, huh

19 o'clock
Sep 9, 2004

Excelsior!!!

Data Graham posted:

So this is probably the Free Space on the OC bingo card but "cancel culture" has got to be Tim's newest bugaboo, huh

I’m really hoping to see Tim Newman debut his own crypto or NFT a Dekkar album.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

19 o'clock posted:

I’m really hoping to see Tim Newman debut his own crypto or NFT a Dekkar album.

They would never need to fund raise again an empty bottle NFT would probably go for a few mil.

Cognac McCarthy
Oct 5, 2008

It's a man's game, but boys will play

They did actually have plans for NFTs but people told them about the bad environmental effects associated with them and they decided not to

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Neurolimal posted:

On one hand tim has several divorces under his belt, on the other hand hes bad enough at reading fine print that he got fleeced by MoneyZap, maybe Toni will get the last laugh

In the very early seasons pre-Ayaka, Tim mentions that he has a son. That seems to have been forgotten in the On Cinema canon but I would love for him to show up someday.

Gajarga
Nov 5, 2006

19 o'clock posted:

He also tried to murder Tim’s entire wedding reception, though, so I now get my expertise from Mister Movies Himself, Axiom :hai:

You mean Tim's drunken mismanagement of his set killed a treasured Dudley Moore impersonator and some other guy, further increasing his body count

19 o'clock
Sep 9, 2004

Excelsior!!!
Tim was drinking to celebrate his wedding.

Gregg was sober behind the wheel of a car that killed people.

You’re right. When you lay it out like that it’s clearly Tim’s fault :rolleyes:

Tato
Jun 19, 2001

DIRECTIVE 236: Promote pro-social values
It’s not the drinking that’s an issue, it’s having an incompetent co-host. With Gregg gone, I’m sure Tim will be responsible and keep it fun.

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

Joe gets in a great burn after tim says it's his best marriage yet - "well it's certainly your most recent"

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Genuinely kind of hard to listen to Toni asking him "At least I'm your favorite wife, right?" and he won't even answer

DOPE FIEND KILLA G
Jun 4, 2011

Chairman Capone posted:

In the very early seasons pre-Ayaka, Tim mentions that he has a son. That seems to have been forgotten in the On Cinema canon but I would love for him to show up someday.

I think when he mentioned the 14 year old son that one time it was just a cover up because he had been filming Decker over the weekend and he was still keeping that a secret, but it wouldn’t be too out there for Tim if it was true

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

Data Graham posted:

Genuinely kind of hard to listen to Toni asking him "At least I'm your favorite wife, right?" and he won't even answer

I know she technically might have let a guy who may have been guilty of several counts of manslaughter go free, but I still hope she doesn't get too screwed by Tim's shenanigans.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I love it whenever Gregg introduces a new segment and it's always some cover to drop a massive drama bomb on Tim. I watched one of the Oscar Specials today and it took me a few minutes to connect the dots that Peyton Reed was the director of Ant Man.

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

Mark's decker is the best in-universe acting in OC

19 o'clock
Sep 9, 2004

Excelsior!!!

Ingmar terdman posted:

Mark's decker is the best in-universe acting in OC

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN
Jun 26, 2009

tim also refers to a first son before the wedding to toni in the 7th oscar special while calling ayaka the love of his life and the one that got away. i

e: some kind soul please record and reup gregs our cinema oscar special because im gonna be at work

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Libra
Jan 5, 2011

It pains me to say this as a true Deckerhead, but Mark's performance as Decker was so good and so authentic that I didn't realize it was him until years later.
Mark really is a truly incredible impressionist and it's a shame that Gregg almost certainly ended his career for good.