Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

Karma Tornado posted:

many film shootouts are designed to subtly reinforce the notion that police are constantly outgunned by vicious supercriminals and are held back by "rules" and "laws" and "civil rights"

I'd like a movie where cops are constantly outgunned by vicious supercriminals but held back by large amounts of viscous pudding. Like they try to go get a warrant but whoops their cop car is full of pudding. Or the Chief wants to see them to yell about how they don't do things by the book and they go to his office and angrily open the door but whoops the office is full of pudding. Or they go to testify at a trial and the sleazy defense attorney tries to get them to admit they are wrong but they make a beautiful, impassioned, and convincing speech defending their actions and the righteousness of the justice system but whoops the jury is pudding

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

The Bloop posted:

You suck and I hosed your mom
_____________/

The shield is indeed a symbol of America.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

I'd like a movie where cops are constantly outgunned by vicious supercriminals but held back by large amounts of viscous pudding. Like they try to go get a warrant but whoops their cop car is full of pudding. Or the Chief wants to see them to yell about how they don't do things by the book and they go to his office and angrily open the door but whoops the office is full of pudding. Or they go to testify at a trial and the sleazy defense attorney tries to get them to admit they are wrong but they make a beautiful, impassioned, and convincing speech defending their actions and the righteousness of the justice system but whoops the jury is pudding

haha what do you think the pudding would smell like, haha just as a joke. do you think the pudding would make a sound if they stepped in it haha what would it sound like haha

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Memento posted:

Invincible on Amazon Prime:

Could you possibly have made it more obvious that the CIA-ish dude is going to use the robots from the mad scientist they just captured to try to take down Omniman?

Maybe they won't and it's a good subversion, but right now they're basically putting up signposts to "remember this, it will be important!"

The audience is incredibly dumb and you have to do stuff like this.

letthereberock
Sep 4, 2004

Karma Tornado posted:

many film shootouts are designed to subtly reinforce the notion that police are constantly outgunned by vicious supercriminals and are held back by "rules" and "laws" and "civil rights"

The 1997 North Hollywood shootout is partially to blame for this. It was an instance where the cops were briefly outgunned and is now used as justification for why cops always need military grade gear.

Funny thing is they made a TV movie about it and there’s a total writer-insert scene where the cops need to commandeer a local gun shop and one of the cops says something to the effect of “I can’t believe it’s legal to sell this stuff!” Because lol that a member of the LAPD would ever make the connection between legal AR sales and heavily armed criminals.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar
It has been some decades since they've been making texas chainsaw massacre movies. Yet no matter what year it is set in, their basement seems to still have an absurd amount of leaks. In some it looks like it's basically raining down there. This murder basement is just unsafe - there has got to be so much mold down there. Take some pride in your work, you don't want to end your career of chainsawing random tourists early because you got the mold lung due to your own maintenance neglect.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
I had friends who went down and volunteered after Katrina and lung conditions from mold are nothing to gently caress with. Way scarier than random murderers.

somepartsareme
Mar 10, 2012

Diggle Hell is a Real
(Swingin') Place

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

I had friends who went down and volunteered after Katrina and lung conditions from mold are nothing to gently caress with. Way scarier than random murderers.

https://twitter.com/bombsfall/status/1381398297944936450

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

"I Care a Lot": For being Russian mafia they seem unusually bad at killing the main characters. You don't even leave one guy waiting around to make sure the job is done after you set up the "accidents"? It wouldn't be that hard, just have a guy watching the pond or whatever to see if someone busts out of it. Have a guy wait to make sure the apartment explodes and nobody leaves.

also surely there is a better place to store a ton of diamonds than in a bank safety deposit box registered to someone you don't have direct control over. At least hide it better - a hollowed out book, really? Like a thief is just not going to open it and find it immediately? At least have a jason bourne style false bottom to the case for stuff like that.

edit: also apparently the main characters are really bad at this too. Do not let the russian mob boss who tried to kill you and everyone you know live. Even for 10 million dollars. Come on, he's going to kill you at the soonest convenient moment if this was real. I swear the last half hour or so was the fantasy that went through her head as she died.

yeah I eat ass has a new favorite as of 00:54 on Apr 22, 2021

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

I think it kinda work because, unlike most movies in the genre where the protagonist is morally upstanding in some way, every single character is an egotistical shithead.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

I just think everyone was trying to be too fancy. What ever happened to a good old fashioned "make sure your enemy is dead before calling it a day" killing?

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Turns out that mafia can be as good at their job as most people are at their jobs.

jjack229
Feb 14, 2008
Articulate your needs. I'm here to listen.
I enjoyed the movie well enough, but once they tried bribing and threatening the main character the mob acted like the only other option was a daytime breakout and then gave up. Why didn't they try to bribe or threaten the original doctor, any of the current doctors, the director of the home, or the partner of the main character? Really, it seems like they should have just bribed someone on the night staff to let them in and break her out that way.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

How did the gently caress up Enter the Dragon with magic?

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Mortal Kombat '21 They don't actually have a Mortal Kombat tournament.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

muscles like this! posted:

Right?

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
Mortal Kombat should be the easiest loving video game movie ever made. Just have the loving people be sucked up by a loving dream and dropped into the tournament where we get fun fighting poo poo.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

muscles like this! posted:

That's as bad as the Street Fighter movie not having any fighting in the streets.

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007
Stowaway: SOLAR "STORMS" DO NOT WORK THAT WAY. Solar storms are radiation. Radiation moves at the speed of light and all other information. Therefore, a spacecraft cannot receive advance warning of incoming solar radiation, much less several minutes' advance warning.

Also, everything else about Anna Kendrick's plan is dumb, and the fact that they let her try it.

Sucks because the first two thirds of the movie were really tight and interesting.

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

I am an oppressed White Male, Asian women wont serve me! Save me Campbell Newman!!!!!!!

Imagined posted:

Stowaway: SOLAR "STORMS" DO NOT WORK THAT WAY. Solar storms are radiation. Radiation moves at the speed of light and all other information. Therefore, a spacecraft cannot receive advance warning of incoming solar radiation, much less several minutes' advance warning.

I've not seen the film so I've no idea if we are talking about the same thing, but The National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration send out warnings for solar radiation storms. See https://www.swpc.noaa.gov/phenomena/solar-radiation-storm . But presumably the film is something else?

FreshFeesh
Jun 3, 2007

Drum Solo

Imagined posted:

Light takes 8 minutes to reach Earth, and about 13 for Mars. I thought it pretty reasonable to assume there would be warnings of CMEs even before blasts left the sun.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
Differentiating between most of what comes out of the sun (light speed) and coronal mass ejections (1,000-2,000km/s) is the problem I think we're looking at here. Yes, they're fast as gently caress, but if your Mercury-orbit station sees one on an intercept course for your ship, you've got on the order of 20-30 hours before they hit Earth orbit

edit: spoiler tags for recent movie

Taeke
Feb 2, 2010

The action cinematography of Falcon and the Winter Soldier was absolute trash, especially in the last episode. I like Marvel stuff but I like the more fantastical stuff a lot more than the grounded spy-thriller-action like this one. Winter Soldier didn't really do it for me either despite recognizing it's pretty good.

It just really struck me how bad the cinematography during the fights was, goddamn. I was reminded of that youtube clip with the guy jumping a fence requiring 20 cuts. It didn't help that it was all in the dark but I could barely tell what was going on most of the time. To make it more confusing, they would slow down a bit to show off a cool move where Sam uses his wings in a creative way or whatever, but other than that it was confusing and headache inducing.

Like I said, Winter Soldier isn't my kind of film either but I enjoyed it a lot more because the action and cinematography was super clean which showed off a lot of cool choreography, but in the show I have no idea how the action choreography was because I just couldn't see it.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

Ah yes, that amazing scene from Taken 3.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gCKhktcbfQM

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007

FreshFeesh posted:

Light takes 8 minutes to reach Earth, and about 13 for Mars. I thought it pretty reasonable to assume there would be warnings of CMEs even before blasts left the sun.

How would Earth learn of and then relay this information faster than the light itself? 8 minutes before Earth knows about it. A few minutes or even seconds to issue a warning, and then send out a message to the spacecraft - a message which then leaves Earth... at the speed of light.

But really, my frustration is largely that the first 2/3 of the movie are really good hard sci-fi with characters portraying realistic professionals acting like reasonable professionals in that situation. Then suddenly in the final act nearly everyone starts making dumb decisions for dumb and contrived (or impossible) reasons.

Imagined has a new favorite as of 10:06 on Apr 24, 2021

FreshFeesh
Jun 3, 2007

Drum Solo
All I have to go on is information in the link Gromit provided. It seemed reasonable to me that Earth could say “sure there’s some solar activity going on,” which gets more and more accurate (direction, intensity) as the event draws near.

quote:

SWPC currently forecasts the probability of S1 (Minor Radiation Storm) occurrence as part of our 3-day forecast and forecast discussion products and issues a warning for an expected S1 or higher event; as well as a warning for when the 100 MeV proton level is expected to reach 1 pfu. Additionally, SWPC issues alerts for when each NOAA Space Weather Scale Radiation Storm level is reached (S1-S5) and/or when the 100 MeV protons reach 1 pfu.

Say Earth identified that the storm was going to blast off into space in 60 minutes. They alert the craft via automated process, which gives them somewhere around half an hour to get into the shielded part of the craft. Seemed okay to me at least

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

Imagined posted:

How would Earth learn of and then relay this information faster than the light itself? 8 minutes before Earth knows about it. A few minutes or even seconds to issue a warning, and then send out a message to the spacecraft - a message which then leaves Earth... at the speed of light.

But really, my frustration is largely that the first 2/3 of the movie are really good hard sci-fi with characters portraying realistic professionals acting like reasonable professionals in that situation. Then suddenly in the final act nearly everyone starts making dumb decisions for dumb and contrived (or impossible) reasons.

CMEs do not travel at the speed of light. They’re considerably slower. CMEs take like 15-20 hours to hit earth.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

Edge of Fear: If the criminals say they're going to be reasonable and leave in peace, why doesn't anyone ever just give them a chance? Someone always has to ruin it and try and steal a gun or escape, which always ends up getting people killed.

It's probably going to happen anyway, but it seems easier to just roll the dice and hope they're honorable escaped convicts/murderers until they prove otherwise.

Chemtrailologist
Jul 8, 2007
Was watching Fellowship of the Ring the other day. Gandalf is such a dick. He doesn't want to go through Moria because he knows the Balrog is there, which means the dwarves who live there are pretty much hosed. Whether he knows about all the goblins, I don't know. Gimli is very excited that he's going to see his cousin, yet Gandalf doesn't tell him that the dwarves there may be dead.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

I kind of doubt he would just accept that they're dead though without seeing for himself. And I'm sure there is some book stuff that will dominate the next 2 pages that explains why he did it.

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007

yeah I eat rear end posted:

I kind of doubt he would just accept that they're dead though without seeing for himself. And I'm sure there is some book stuff that will dominate the next 2 pages that explains why he did it.

There is, but

Ego-bot posted:

Gandalf is such a dick.

Remains true no matter how much Tolkien you read.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

I don't think I've ever seen a movie like "Into the Grizzly Maze". Most bear killing movies go for the "nature can be scary if you aren't careful" angle, but this movie goes with the "bears are basically a huge dinosaur that really hates humans and actively hunts them and will break into your house to get you" angle.

I don't think even a rabid/starving bear would act like this.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

Selfie Man: why are you messing around on the ~dark web~ instead of taking your comatose friend to the hospital?

e: thank you to Len for sharing this great movie with me it was better than the bear mvoie anyway

yeah I eat ass has a new favorite as of 00:38 on Apr 25, 2021

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Selfie Man: why are you messing around on the ~dark web~ instead of taking your comatose friend to the hospital?

e: thank you to Len for sharing this great movie with me it was better than the bear mvoie anyway

RIGHT?!

I saw that title at the dollar tree and grabbed it, then i saw the sticker that said free digital copy and looked at my partner and went "i'm going to give this to 'yeah i eat rear end' because they also like watching bad movies" and she just rolled her eyes at me

Len has a new favorite as of 00:40 on Apr 25, 2021

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

This movie really didn't even have anything to do with selfies. It was just generic "dark web" murder rooms with a really poorly explained ghost involved? I guess?

Maybe I missed something, but in any case, it was well worth the price of typing in the letters from the dollar store dvd.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

This movie really didn't even have anything to do with selfies. It was just generic "dark web" murder rooms with a really poorly explained ghost involved? I guess?

Maybe I missed something, but in any case, it was well worth the price of typing in the letters from the dollar store dvd.

The DVD opens with a bunch of trailers for other movies, i can't find the ones from the dvd themselves but

Doll Cemetery
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zeKscCsAHg8

A.M.I
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tSRBugiu78Q

A Haunting at Silver Falls: The Return (apparently a sequel)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H96d1T_eVzM

The Samaritans
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ki6wMYIP46o

i didn't write them down to watch later or anything

Tenkaris
Feb 10, 2006

I would really prefer if you would be quiet.

Len posted:

RIGHT?!

I saw that title at the dollar tree and grabbed it, then i saw the sticker that said free digital copy and looked at my partner and went "i'm going to give this to 'yeah i eat rear end' because they also like watching bad movies" and she just rolled her eyes at me

Haha you guys are so cute :allears:

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer
If y’all like those really bad horror flicks you should check out Shudder. It’s like Netflix and full of them.

So far my favorite has been one called Blood Vessel. It’s about a crew that finds a drifting ship full of Nazi Vampires. Blood Vessel. Get it?? :drac:

kupachek
Aug 5, 2015

This man’s brain is trembling in the balance between reason and insanity, and as he stalks on with clenched fist and sword in hand, as though he still saw those murderous Russians gunners.

Joey Freshwater posted:

If y’all like those really bad horror flicks you should check out Shudder. It’s like Netflix and full of them.

So far my favorite has been one called Blood Vessel. It’s about a crew that finds a drifting ship full of Nazi Vampires. Blood Vessel. Get it?? :drac:

So it's an attempt to salvage the concept of Death Ship?
Thanks for reminding me I haven't watched that one in a while, I need to dig out my tape soon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Imagined posted:

Also, everything else about Anna Kendrick's plan is dumb, and the fact that they let her try it.

Sucks because the first two thirds of the movie were really tight and interesting.

This is false. Solar storms are massive charged particles, not photons. They are protons, which move considerably slower than the speed of light, and it is perfectly possible to observe the sun, see that it has just launched a big chunk of itself into space, and have advance warning before that chunk gets to you.