Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

iceyman
Jul 11, 2001

Does anyone have any experience with Word Mill's Adventure Crafter? There's a deck version of it recently out now. But I don't understand all the Mythic products all that well. How is the Adventure Craft different from the Mythic Game Emulation Deck?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

Cocks Cable posted:

Does anyone have any experience with Word Mill's Adventure Crafter? There's a deck version of it recently out now. But I don't understand all the Mythic products all that well. How is the Adventure Craft different from the Mythic Game Emulation Deck?

Adventure is more of a GM aid than a solo game system like Mythic; from what I gather it's intended to be used before the session to give you your adventure outlines that you then flesh out.

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:
Not technically roleplaying, but Modiphius are publishing Five Parsecs From Home.

https://www.modiphius.net/products/five-parsecs-from-home

It's cool.

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009

90s Cringe Rock posted:

Not technically roleplaying, but Modiphius are publishing Five Parsecs From Home.

https://www.modiphius.net/products/five-parsecs-from-home

It's cool.

Yeah and the creator is a goon. Nordic Weasel guy posts in the Miniature Wargaming Indy Style thread here:https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?noseen=0&threadid=3253037&perpage=40&pagenumber=119#pti17

Comstar posted:

Has anyone had any experience in Rangers of Shadow Deep.

I bought the game on Monday and I am reading through the rules so I can't really say I have experience yet. It's giving me a definite Lord of the Rings crawl into Mordor feel. I think some people in the Miniature Wargaming Indy Style thread have had experience with it.

Angrymog posted:

In the Ultra Violet Grasslands I've just started I'm using more of a GM stance with the oracle directing the character, but it's very definitely a game first, a creative writing exercise second. People playing the "But is it even a game? Is it Roleplaying?" really ought to look up some write ups of sessions - I've posted some of mine (and a really good Pendragon one), and can go hunt down some other links.

:justpost: I love the world of Ultraviolet Grasslands and would enjoy reading about a solo campaign. Actually shouldn't this thread also include after action reports of solo roleplaying?

I got recommended the first Western solo roleplaying game I've heard of. It is called The Drifter and its available at DriveThrough for a buck fifty.

I'll take a look and report back.

https://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/295206/The-Drifter

Also I heard of a Kickstarter for a tavern management roleplaying simulator, The Broken Cask. It's $10 to get the PDF. My only hesitation is that it uses a 1d6 plus skill for resolution rolls and that makes me wonder how extensive and interesting the tables can be. I'd like more variation than 1d6. Also the Kickstarter mentioned that there are more than one tavern management roleplaying games, so does anyone here recommend one?

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/shorelessskies/the-broken-cask?ref=project_link

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

quote:

Actually shouldn't this thread also include after action reports of solo roleplaying?
Yes please. It's a chunk of why the thread exists at all.

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009

I read through the rules for The Drifter, a Western solo roleplaying game. Links in my previous post. I have to say, it reminds me a bit of the old Lone Wolf Kai fantasy books by Joe Denver and Gary Chalk. Your character in The Drifter is a morally grey gunslinger who has seen both sides of the law and drinks to forget. Your objective is to raise $300 in cash to start a new life. Or die trying. The system is pretty simple. You have Finesse to represent your physical abilities, Hunch for your mental abilities and Karma for luck. There is a health track of five levels before you are dead. The more wounded you get, the more your Finesse degrades. Opposing combat and opposing skill contests are simply a matter of subtraction the opposing skill from your own, adding the result to a die roll, then checking a table for the result. There is a 20x22 hex map to navigate your travels, and 245 events to encounter. You roll for one event a turn (a day) on a table that varies according to your bounty level. Your bounty goes up the more of a villain you become.

I haven't played The Drifter yet, but for $1.49 it is an absolute steal. :shrug:

Since we are talking solo roleplaying I have to mention the Lone Wolf series of gamebooks. There are 20 in the Lone Wolf Kai series and they (and others!) are all free at Project Aon here:

https://www.projectaon.org/en/Main/Books

You are essentially the last of a brotherhood of psychic fantasy warriors (think special ops or the Witcher) that must save the kingdom from the machinations of the Dark Lords. Eventually you rebuild your mystic order.

Want to read a Lets Play of them before diving in? Read on: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3830605

xiw
Sep 25, 2011

i wake up at night
night action madness nightmares
maybe i am scum

Cpig Haiku contest 2020 winner
Tunnels and Trolls is probably worth mentioning here too - in addition to being a fully-fledged rpg system, it had a large selection of solo gamebooks that, unlike most gamebooks, were generally designed for you to move your characters between - some were limited to low-level or starting PCs, but others were explicitly designed for higher level PCs, and at times you could even leave your PC in the book at a location and encounter other PCs (theoretically).

Corgi did a set of these solos in a small format that ended up on the shelf next to Lone Wolf and Fighting Fantasy but they got incredibly weird at times since they were much more 'a tabletop scenario adapted for the solo format' than any kind of start to finish narrative. Some of my faves like City of Terrors let you just go off in a bunch of directions and get involved in a series of independent adventures. They also sometimes had references to previous adventures or even straight 'go to paragraph 123 in adventure X' links but there was no concept of ordering, just up to you as a player to decide where to take your hero.

The Corgi versions also had some great Josh Kirby art.

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009
Found another indy solo game by bouncing around reddit. The Shrike is in Early Access and already has 120+ pages. It is $4.

https://sadpress.itch.io/the-shrike

quote:

The Shrike is a game about fantastical voyages aboard a skyship. It's inspired by Avery Alder's The Quiet Year, John Harper's Lady Blackbird, Italo Calvino, Ursula K. Le Guin, and utopian and dystopian fiction. The 120+ page early access edition is now available, featuring four complete adventures (two multiplayer, two for solo play).

Adventures for The Shrike provide a level of detail between traditional gamebooks and oracle-based games such as The Quiet Year. You'll encounter people, places, and other prompts, but you'll also have the flexibility to build your own world and tell your own stories.

Want to focus on worldbuilding and speculative anthropology? Steampunk dogfights and scurrilous sky piracy? Cosmic horror at abominable altitudes? Tales of hope and care, exploring the ups and downs of the relationships of your crew? The Shrike invites you to tell all these stories and more.

This early access edition may still contain some glitches. All feedback is very welcome.

Also I found a good video about seven solo skirmish games. Rangers of Shadow Deep is mentioned.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B37uqIUgJqM

Selecta84
Jan 29, 2015

So my buddy and I started our own Ironsworn campaign and we are having a ton of fun.

Really great system for a coop game and the delves are really really great.

Little question that came up today and that we couldn't find an answer for:

If you make the Delve move for the group and you have to Face Danger or Endure Stress/Harm, does only the player who made the role suffer the consequences or does the other player also have to roll, too?

Like we tried to get past an obstacle as a result of my Delve roll and I had to Endure Stress. Does my buddy have to Endure Stress as well or just me?

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

I’d have to check but off the top of my head did you friend use Assist an Ally? Does it make narrative sense?

Edit: from Aid your Ally in the rule book :

quote:

On a miss, one or both of you should Pay the Price as appropriate to the circumstances and your intent when making the move. If in doubt, Ask the Oracle. As with a weak hit, you both lose initiative when in combat.

Galaga Galaxian fucked around with this message at 22:17 on Apr 13, 2021

iceyman
Jul 11, 2001

It's coming...soon. That's really cool of Shawn to offer a hefty preview edition so you can immediately check out and start enjoying the game.

https://twitter.com/ShawnTomkin/status/1381696898705158144?s=20

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Yeah, Shawn has been pushing hard to get everything ready for the Kickstarter. The playtest stuff is already really good. Anyone who likes Ironsworn and likes Sci-Fi is gonna love it.

Been tempted to play some using the playtest materials but part of me keeps saying to wait. Well, that and the same struggle I've had with Ironsworn about struggling to think of a good inciting incident (start).

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Yeah, Shawn has been pushing hard to get everything ready for the Kickstarter. The playtest stuff is already really good. Anyone who likes Ironsworn and likes Sci-Fi is gonna love it.

Been tempted to play some using the playtest materials but part of me keeps saying to wait. Well, that and the same struggle I've had with Ironsworn about struggling to think of a good inciting incident (start).

Eternally my stumbling block. Been hoping Starforged will make it a bit easier. Does that bear out with what you've seen of the game so far?

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Ehhh? Maybe? This makes me realize I haven't actually read the latest version of the playtest Chapter 2: Launching Your Campaign.

Selecta84
Jan 29, 2015

Galaga Galaxian posted:

I’d have to check but off the top of my head did you friend use Assist an Ally? Does it make narrative sense?

Edit: from Aid your Ally in the rule book :

Thanks.

No, there was no Assist action, but we both had to traverse a danger after my Delve move, resulting in the Face Danger and Endure Stress Move.

Narratively it would made have sense without the Assist Move so we try to keep that in mind next time.

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?
I feel I missed this earlier, but how does Ironsworn work and how do you play it with 2 players?

Selecta84
Jan 29, 2015

Comstar posted:

I feel I missed this earlier, but how does Ironsworn work and how do you play it with 2 players?

We made 2 characters, each with an individual starting vow (I try to take down my old assassins guiild, my buddy wants to get the ashes of his ancestors to the Frozen Wastes) and then worked out an inciting vow (stopping guild activity on our small island) to get going.

Created our starting village, some NPCs and so on. Some lore along the way.

After that we played of each other, each one playing the different NPCs, describing the scenes we encountered and so on. Taking turns with the travel, camp and delve moves.

It really is a ton of fun to bounce off ideas off eachother. And it all feels so natural, really digging this system

And the Delve mechanics are so good. Yesterday we tried to locate a Druid Circle in a Wild Tanglewood and stumbled upon a soul collecting Hollow and a Trog Invasion, peskering the druids. I took down their leader but now the tribe has marked me for vengence. It was amazing

Selecta84 fucked around with this message at 11:29 on Apr 14, 2021

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

https://twitter.com/ShawnTomkin/status/1383073011947892738

:toot:

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

Definitely gonna back that thing. I played a bit in the playtest and it was extremely my jam, moreso than Ironsworn.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
Part of me wonders if I could mod this to play in the Lancer universe. I'd love to play a solo game set there!

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

Will be holding out to see how the feedback goes, but hopefully Starforged is much more usable. If nothing else, at least I'll have Traveller solo material that I never bothered making work with Traveller to try and work with.

Kestral
Nov 24, 2000

Forum Veteran
Very hype for Starforge, going to shamelessly steal setting bits from Starsector for my first playthrough. "The apocalyptic collapse of technology happened because we invented unbreakable DRM and lost all the codes in a black swan event" feels like it's going to fit rather well.

Galaga Galaxian posted:

SkyeAuroline posted:

Eternally my stumbling block. Been hoping Starforged will make it a bit easier. Does that bear out with what you've seen of the game so far?

Oracles are your friend here. Start with something about your character you want to see in play - the asset you're most excited about, the bond you're most interested in (or in making), etc. - and then throw Oracle rolls at it until something clicks. From there, just refine it into something that has sufficient urgency and you're good to go.

Also, a technique I stumbled across on a playtest of an Ironsworn hack I'm working on: picturing an inciting incident, and then rewinding a short way and then working toward that point rather than beginning right there. I don't recommend using this all the time, but I found it helpful in getting myself more invested in the community I was starting out in, and with some of my starting bonds.

Example from actual play:

My inciting incident is a dream or vision sent by my missing-presumed-dead sister, showing a series of striking images and landmarks that will lead me to her. I recognize the last image: a pass northwest in the mountains, leading out onto the high ice. I need to reach it before the changing seasons close the pass entirely, and evade the pursuers my chief has sent after me for defying her to go to chasing a woman who has been declared dead.

I had intended to start right there, racing for the pass on stag-back with riders in hot pursuit, but a weak hit on Swearing an Iron Vow to reach the pass before the seasons closed it made me reconsider. I rewound a few days to see what would happen when I first approached my stern, hot-tempered chief for permission to leave the tribe right when it most needs its hunters. I played from there knowing I would leave, but learning more about these people and establishing the context in which I'd leave the tribe: would I have supporters who might help me get away? Would I be well-supplied when I departed?

(The answers turned out to be: yes, but also I had to take a hostage to get away, and extremely no.)

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009
Some gent illustrated their playthrough of Thousand Year Old Vampire.

https://twitter.com/dog_blink/status/1377786943962902529

SageNytell
Sep 28, 2008

<REDACT> THIS!

Helical Nightmares posted:

Some gent illustrated their playthrough of Thousand Year Old Vampire.

https://twitter.com/dog_blink/status/1377786943962902529

"THIS COLONIAL ENTERPRISE IS A MISTAKE.

It has all fallen apart.

I have loft everything."

So good! Exactly the sort of thing shining in my mind's eye when I play a solo game and fail to actually do anything with.

BONESAWWWWWW
Dec 23, 2009

I tried Ironsworn last night and it got out of hand way too fast.

I was trying to start with something simple, just to get going - getting a healing plant for someone who was dying. My rolls were... Not favorable. I ended losing a fight to a single wolf, who took one of my assets. Then I went to three villages trying to find information, the last one being haunted, then I ran away from some spooky creature and fell in a ravine. All my supplies have also disappeared along the way. I'm screwed.

I took a break after that. Maybe it's my inexperience, but how do you keep things from escalating like this? The other time I tried a solo game using Mythic I got myself thrown in jail in my first town pretty quick. I guess I made progress this time, at least.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

BONESAWWWWWW posted:

I tried Ironsworn last night and it got out of hand way too fast.

Maybe it's my inexperience, but how do you keep things from escalating like this?

Shawn (the author of Irownsworn) made a good tweet thread about this roughly a year ago. He's also commented that he's noticed that solo players tend to be surprisingly harsher on themselves than they would if they were the GM of a group!

My own input would be, don't be so harsh! Things only get as bad as you let them. You don't need to roll on the table for every Pay the Price or whatever. Just go with what feels right, and don't be afraid to be a bit lenient at first. Low on supply but got plenty of Spirit and Health? Maybe take a ding to one of those instead. Also don't be afraid to throw your character a bone after they've gotten beat up. Your supplies are all dried up and you're tired and hurt? Have your character come come across a chance to make camp and recuperate a bit.

And even when it looks like all is lost and logically you SHOULD die... if you're not satisfied with that death, then don't let it happen. The foeman stays the fatal blow, the creature drags you back to its lair instead of devouring you immediately, unlikely help arrives in your darkest hour. When in doubt, ask the oracle why you survive.

Also assets are not something you can normally permanently lose. You can be temporarily divested of them, but you'll always find a way to get your hands back on them in short order. They are a core part of your character, losing them permanently should be a major plot point, not a result of random and passing chance.

[edit] Oh yeah, Shawn's thread talking about Secure an Advantage reminds me of one of the biggest nice changes Starforged makes. Namely to Secure an Advantage:

Ironsworn SaA:

quote:

On a strong hit, you gain advantage. Choose one.
• Take control: Make another move now (not a progress move), and add +1.
• Prepare to act: Take +2 momentum.
On a weak hit, your advantage is short-lived. Take +1 momentum.
On a miss, you fail or your assumptions betray you. Pay the Price.

Starforged SaA:

quote:

On a strong hit, take both. On a weak hit, choose one.
✴Take +2 momentum
✴Add +1 on your next move (not a progress move)
On a miss, you fail or your assumptions betray you. Pay the Price.

IMO, use the Starforged version, even for Ironsworn. It actually makes the move a LOT better. RAW in IS SaA is often a mechanically weak move to perform. A Strong Hit on it is about as difficult as most other moves and its return is relatively weak considering you could've just made another move and scored an actual success (usually gaining +1 Momentum in the process). This is ofc focusing on mechanics benefit rather than narrative sense, but its still a nice change IMO.

Galaga Galaxian fucked around with this message at 04:24 on Apr 21, 2021

Selecta84
Jan 29, 2015

Galaga Galaxian posted:

[edit] Oh yeah, Shawn's thread talking about Secure an Advantage reminds me of one of the biggest nice changes Starforged makes. Namely to Secure an Advantage:

Ironsworn SaA:

Starforged SaA:

IMO, use the Starforged version, even for Ironsworn. It actually makes the move a LOT better. RAW in IS SaA is often a mechanically weak move to perform. A Strong Hit on it is about as difficult as most other moves and its return is relatively weak considering you could've just made another move and scored an actual success (usually gaining +1 Momentum in the process). This is ofc focusing on mechanics benefit rather than narrative sense, but its still a nice change IMO.

Oh, Iike that one.

Could this change bei used with Aid an Alley in Coop?

Selecta84 fucked around with this message at 06:59 on Apr 21, 2021

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Sure you can. Here is Aid Your Ally from Starforged:

quote:

When you act in direct support of an ally, envision how you aid them. Then, Secure an Advantage or Gain Ground to take action. If you score a hit, they (instead of you) take the benefits of the move.
If you Gain Ground and score a strong hit, you are both in control. On a weak hit, your ally is in control but you are in a bad spot.

Gain Ground is the new Secure an Advantage equivalent for Starforged's revamped version of combat (there is also a combat specific variant of Face Danger called "React Under Fire"), which is another of the big changes I love. It changes from focusing on defeating enemies via marking progress to a more objective based focus (which might be defeating enemies, but could also be a number of other things, and whoever you're fighting is just an obstacle to overcome). For example, if you're attempting protect someone from a group of assassins, in Ironsworn, you'd have to deal with each assassin individually as seperate progress bar, or group them into a pack. In Starforged your objective is instead "Protect the target" and progress could be made/narrated by defeating the Cultists via strike/clash or perhaps finding a way to help the target escape via Gain Ground or React Under Fire. This is the reason for a unique variant of Secure an Advantage for combat, it can now mark progress!

Of course, this cuts both ways. Escaping from a fight going sour in Ironsworn was as simple as making a Face Danger Roll or two. In Starforged if you've Paid The Price to the point of being cornered in a fight, you might need to Enter the Fray with an objective to escape. Though since your objective is simply to escape rather than defeat the enemy you should consider setting the rank lower. Destroying an enemy battlecruiser in your much smaller ship might be an Extreme or even Epic objective, escaping from it is probably only Troublesome or Dangerous.

Because the focus is now on objectives, depending on how you choose to narrate and set the ranks of your objectives, this can make things feel quite a bit more dramatic and heroic, as you can potentially narrate a "Strike" making progress towards your objective be gunning down a couple mooks. Or you can keep things grittier. Your choice.

"in Control" and "In a Bad Spot" are just the new wording Starforged uses for what Ironsworn calls "initiative" and is small but nice change IMO as calling it "initiative" really seemed to cause a lot of players (especially D&D vets) hangups. In control = You're being proactive in the fight, In a Bad Spot = You're being reactive in the fight.

Galaga Galaxian fucked around with this message at 07:52 on Apr 21, 2021

Selecta84
Jan 29, 2015

Sounds pretty good.

Thanks

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

At the same time you replied, I edited and expanded on that post a bit lol. I didn't intend to add that much, but I went to make a minor correction and ended up adding a lot more.

Selecta84
Jan 29, 2015

Oh man, too bad I'm not really into Sci-Fi settings :-(

But I mean it sounds like this could be done in Ironsworn with the existing rules, right? Sounds like the environmental dangers from Delve without the countdown.

We are facing a group of raiders sieging a town next time. Maybe we could try the more objective based approach

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Yeah, Combat in Starforged is basically a variant of Scene Challenges, but more open-ended on your options and no countdown.

I've been doing a lot of thinking and even some experimenting with playing Ironsworn using Starforged. I am considering writing it all down into a document just to keep it straighter than the jumble in my head.

Galaga Galaxian fucked around with this message at 08:32 on Apr 21, 2021

Selecta84
Jan 29, 2015

That does indeed sound pretty neat.

Some documentation would be appreciated.

Our next session will be on Monday so I have some time to think about our approach concerning the raider situation

Selecta84 fucked around with this message at 08:42 on Apr 21, 2021

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
Someone made a game about communing with Monte Cook.

potatocubed
Jul 26, 2012

*rathian noises*
Cage of Sand is a very neat solo-but-playable-with-others game about being stuck in a deadly time loop. It uses tarot cards to describe characters and events, and the structure of the game reinforces the structure of the loop and the gradual realisation that something is wrong.

It also comes with a macro-enabled Excel sheet that you can play the game in, which is very well-executed.

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan
Loving this thread, especially the discussion of Ironforged, which somehow I had never heard of before but I'm now itching to start a campaign in. Here some other stuff I've discovered in this sphere:

Seekers Beyond the Shroud: "Seekers Beyond the Shroud is a single-player tabletop RPG immersing the player into a world of occult societies battling for power and magicians performing arcane rituals and sealing pacts with spiritual entities exploring a hidden reality from their underground base in modern day London, UK." Probably the only thing I've come across that has the complexity of something like Ironforged, but this this is...almost too in depth. There's tables in this book for everything. It's got like a central wizards location where you roll for daily events and then tables for places you go and then some kind of astral plane tables, and quest tables and foe tables and some kind of spirits you can summon and...I'm not going to lie, I've never actually played this thing, I just open up the rulebook sometimes, skim through it, get vaguely confused and amazed and go "Maybe someday, weird game, maybe someday."

Delve/Rise/Umbra: Three separate games by the same author, available separately or in a bundle. They use basically the same mechanics, drawing cards from a regular deck of cards and drawing a map on a grid, and are essentially solo RPG Dwarf Fortress (Delve), Dungeon Keeper (Rise), and Rimworld (Umbra). Maybe more mechanics/board gamey than RPG but can tell some interesting stories.

Lost Ship: A Survival Game: "Lost Ship is a tabletop game for one or two players about the sacrifices and compromises made during an interstellar war. Created by the author of Westside, Deadball, and Comrades, it uses simple mechanics to tell the harrowing story of 40,000 lost souls’ journey home. In this game, you are the executive officer of a stranded colony ship leaping from star to star in search of a planet to call home. You are responsible for maintaining the ship’s key systems, supervising the pilots who protect it in battle, and doing whatever it takes to safeguard the 40,000 travelers aboard. You will track damage, duty assignments, pilot deaths, and the other ugly details of this odyssey across the stars. Your captain directs each battle; the pilots fight. All you can do is watch, pray, and record the chaos." Deadball, by this same guy, is a pretty good solo baseball sim for those who are into that. Again, this may be more mechanics-heavy than RPG storytelling heavy.

Four Against Darkness: Solo dungeon crawl game when you control four characters. "You choose four character types from the classic classes (warrior, wizard, rogue, halfling, dwarf, barbarian, cleric, elf), equip them, and start adventuring in dungeons created by dice rolls and by your choices. When you enter a room, you generate its content on a series of random tables. You will meet monsters, fight them, hopefully defeat them (or decide that discretion is the better part of valor!), you'll manage your resources (healing, spells, life points, equipment), grab treasure, dodge traps, find clues, and even accept quests from the monsters you meet. Your characters can level up and become better at what they do, but it will not be easy."

Then in the latest Zinequest on Kickstarter I backed a bunch of solo journaling type games. Most of these aren't out yet but are worth keeping your eye on if they sound interesting to you, since I'm sure they will be purchasable in some form after they come out for backers:

Lay On Hands: You wander the post-apocalyptic wasteland as a talented healer. The kicker here is the resolution system -- instead of rolling dice for success, you spin a coin and try to complete sections of a drawing mini-game before it comes to a stop.

Superstition: "You are an oracle, a greenseer and a fraud. You don't believe in rituals, but create them to give your community hope. You know nothing you do will affect whether a season is bountiful or not, whether nature will be kind to your clan or not. But you must convince your chieftain that your rituals are worthy, and offer your community hope. If not, you may be exiled or worse." Played with a normal deck of cards. (This is the only one of these Kickstarters that is out already, and is available for purchase here)

Apothecaria: "Apothecaria is a solo journalling RPG in which you take the role of a village witch creating potions for the unfortunate villagers, adventurers, and monsters that come to you for help." Sounds pretty detailed, says there are nine different locations with random encounters to search for ingredients, seasons affect the ingredients, there is a relationship system with NPCs in the village, etc.

Hibernation Games: A collection of 5 solo zines, including The Thaw (you are the last guardian of a tribe, preparing to fight the ancient enemy that will soon emerge from the ice), Life of a Spell Scroll (exactly as it sounds), I Love You, Alive Girl (trying to communicate with your love in the dystopian future by hiding comments in ad reviews without being caught by the AI algorithm), Drawing Dead (you are the Dealer, dealing hands of pokers to four souls on their way to the afterlife), and maybe my favorite, Gelatinous Cube ("You are an adventurer slowly being harmlessly digested in a gelatinous cube, seeing and interacting with the adventurers coming in and out of this dungeon.")

The Lighthouse At The End of the Universe: You are the solitary keeper of the Lighthouse at the end of the universe, to keep spaceships from falling off the edge. "The Lighthouse is a solo journalling game best played at nighttime before bed or for when you can't sleep. The Lighthouse is about running a lighthouse in space. It is played with a dice, a coin and pack of cards. Roll the dice and flip a card to get a prompt. Flip a coin to see how you go about the task." "Each logbook entry begins with your observations of the weather. You and the lighthouse are at the mercy of the weather at the edge and so mishaps are very likely to happen. Maybe you'll need to fix something, replace a panel, clean up a breakage, refill the tea in your flask. The oil in the lamp will need refilling through the night and the wick may need to be tended to. Once you've done that, sit down and take some time to Observe those passing by from the lighthouse's balcony." I thought this one sounded really chill.

12 Years: Hexploring and Dungeon Delving, solo or multiplayer. "You have 12 years until the Lich King burns the known world. Can you or anyone you know complete the coronation ritual and appease him? Better yet, destroy him once and for all?" Seems kind of solo Xcom-ish in a way as you can have parties and heroes die off and keep the game going until your 12 years runs out.

Where Mystery Dwells: Solo or two player catacomb crawl "through a candlelit world of stone and bones beneath a fantastical-industrial city." "you play a troupe of apprentices balancing their own survival and sanity against the need to curry favor with their patron. It also has system-agnostic tools for procedurally generating vaguely disturbing catacombs, creating the colorful city, and populating both with a cast of empathetic and engaging characters."

Ohthehugemanatee
Oct 18, 2005

StarkRavingMad posted:

Four Against Darkness: Solo dungeon crawl game when you control four characters. "You choose four character types from the classic classes (warrior, wizard, rogue, halfling, dwarf, barbarian, cleric, elf), equip them, and start adventuring in dungeons created by dice rolls and by your choices. When you enter a room, you generate its content on a series of random tables. You will meet monsters, fight them, hopefully defeat them (or decide that discretion is the better part of valor!), you'll manage your resources (healing, spells, life points, equipment), grab treasure, dodge traps, find clues, and even accept quests from the monsters you meet. Your characters can level up and become better at what they do, but it will not be easy."

This format may have hit its peak in Four Against Ragnarok. The setting is Norse mythology and you explore Scandinavia instead of a dungeon. Unlike most 4AD games it also has an end. Your heroes adventure, gain in strength and eventually die and go to Ragnarok. Once you have a team of four dead heroes, you go into an endgame where you track down legendary enemies of the gods.

It's pretty tight. I felt like 4AD was a map generator that basically played itself, but 4AR gives you a lot of ways to mess with dice, and there's a lot more agency in terms of what risks to take. The beginning is brutal but mid and endgame really shine. Nor does it overstay its welcome.

I'm also glad people like Ironsworn. It doesn't really work for me, but it's a loving amazing product that was released for free, and I'm glad that it gave me the chance to try out PbtA mechanics.

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

Ohthehugemanatee posted:

This format may have hit its peak in Four Against Ragnarok. The setting is Norse mythology and you explore Scandinavia instead of a dungeon. Unlike most 4AD games it also has an end. Your heroes adventure, gain in strength and eventually die and go to Ragnarok. Once you have a team of four dead heroes, you go into an endgame where you track down legendary enemies of the gods.

It's pretty tight. I felt like 4AD was a map generator that basically played itself, but 4AR gives you a lot of ways to mess with dice, and there's a lot more agency in terms of what risks to take. The beginning is brutal but mid and endgame really shine. Nor does it overstay its welcome.

I'm also glad people like Ironsworn. It doesn't really work for me, but it's a loving amazing product that was released for free, and I'm glad that it gave me the chance to try out PbtA mechanics.

I'll have to check that out! I didn't know Four Against Ragnarok existed.

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009

StarkRavingMad posted:

Here some other stuff I've discovered in this sphere:

First of all thanks for the massive effortpost.

Four Against Darkness really caught my attention due to the procedural generation of a dungeon and the mix-and-match character types to form a team. Four Against Ragnarok sounds really cool too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
Warning on Four Against: the creator will publish your stuff if you submit it, and one of the third party content creators definitely has a magical realm to show you. Bouchard, I think? A lot of it is fine and then you get big monster boobs, and monster milk, and monster cheese.