Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Endless Trash
Aug 12, 2007

Space Kablooey posted:

So is the Queen's Gambit worth watching? I watched the first two episodes and I dunno how to explain it, i feel like i already know the general outline of the plot of the series?

You do.

Like the mom character for example. Every scene she’s in she’s coughing profusely and lying weakly in bed. I for one was shocked when she died tragically.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rod Hoofhearted
Jun 18, 2000

I am a ghost

https://twitter.com/YNB/status/1386052858974408704?s=20

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

gooby pls posted:

Why didn’t they give mortal kombat to that guy who made the short film with Michael jai white? I remember that was pretty cool for a low budget fan film thing.

Holy poo poo that was a decade ago

https://youtu.be/XcCKph_1biQ

Apparently they did give the project to those guys originally, but it languished in development hell for years before new folks were brought on.

Groovelord Neato posted:

How the gently caress did Resident Evil get so many sequels. It's somehow dumber than than a game series that only had two good entries in the past decade plus.

It’s not important that Paul WS Anderson doesn’t really make good movies, because Paul WS Anderson never makes money-losing movies.

Sheen Sheen
Nov 18, 2002

Neurolimal posted:

Also colin trevorrow had a script that followed up on both TFA and TLJ just fine, it has weird points but it would have made for a clean trilogy. I 100% believe the directors hashed this poo poo out beforehand

It’s really hard for me to imagine how this is possible given the tonal whiplash between TFA and TLJ

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!
Anyone looking for an amazing fighting game movie should check out The King of Fighters. It has to be one of the most incompetent and baffling things I’ve ever seen.

Cutedge
Mar 13, 2006

How can we lose so much more than we had before

gooby pls posted:

Why didn’t they give mortal kombat to that guy who made the short film with Michael jai white? I remember that was pretty cool for a low budget fan film thing.

Holy poo poo that was a decade ago

https://youtu.be/XcCKph_1biQ

They were going to, he was actually on board and it got mired in fights about the budget and he left the project after 2 years. The new script was done in 2019 apparently after bringing on the current director (who has done no other movies) in 2015. So they've been marinating this mess of a movie for at least 6 years.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

Sheen Sheen posted:

It’s really hard for me to imagine how this is possible given the tonal whiplash between TFA and TLJ

Theres a comic adaptation of the script, its got very amateur art but its a step up from directly reading the script:
https://awinegarner.squarespace.com/duel-of-the-fates

Colin Trevorrow was removed in September 2017, TLJ came out in December, his/his screenwriter's script includes plot beats that only make sense if he knew what was going to happen (and scripts dont get written overnight; its not like someone went "btw snoke and luke are dead in this movie" and they had a new script the next day)

Its got some goofy beats (largely with the final fight, Rey & Kylo swap cumlife force), but I like most of it

Neurolimal fucked around with this message at 00:40 on Apr 25, 2021

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

Trevorrow when he got a call from Disney

TIP
Mar 21, 2006

Your move, creep.

Gutcruncher posted:

Anyone looking for an amazing fighting game movie should check out The King of Fighters. It has to be one of the most incompetent and baffling things I’ve ever seen.

2009 was a big year for fighting game movies

The King of Fighters
Tekken
Street Fighter: The Legend of Chun-Li

I had completely forgotten they made another Street Fighter movie until Google suggested it after I looked up The King of Fighters.

mallratcal
Sep 10, 2003

LanceHunter posted:

Apparently they did give the project to those guys originally, but it languished in development hell for years before new folks were brought on.

It’s not important that Paul WS Anderson doesn’t really make good movies, because Paul WS Anderson never makes money-losing movies.

Except for the movies he makes that aren't based on a video game. His only non-game related movie to turn a profit was Alien Vs. Predator. Everything else was a big money loser.

Which probably explains why he sticks with video game movies now. He'll probably get a pass for Monster Hunter.

Edit: Maybe not huge money losers, his only huge one was Pompeii.

mallratcal fucked around with this message at 00:52 on Apr 25, 2021

Endless Trash
Aug 12, 2007

Tip posted:

2009 was a big year for fighting game movies

The King of Fighters
Tekken
Street Fighter: The Legend of Chun-Li

I had completely forgotten they made another Street Fighter movie until Google suggested it after I looked up The King of Fighters.

While watching Mortal Kombat I wasn’t sure who Cole was or whether he was in the games, and decided to not look him up in case he was from Street Fighter or something. Like, maybe he was gonna be the connection for a crossover movie??

Turns out his name is Cole, he’s 20-something, and he’s Mr. Burns’ assistant.

Sheen Sheen
Nov 18, 2002
The AvP movie was probably destined to be garbage no matter what, but goddamn Fox didn’t do it any favors by making PWSA the director and by inexplicably making it PG-13 like so many action movies from that dark dark time

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:
Jenny e Nicholson did a 192 minute video on the Colin Trevorrow script if any of that sounds like your thing

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

none of that sounds like my thing

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Sheen Sheen posted:

The AvP movie was probably destined to be garbage no matter what, but goddamn Fox didn’t do it any favors by making PWSA the director and by inexplicably making it PG-13 like so many action movies from that dark dark time

I'm not a big fan of the AvP concept outside of the very good PC game but there was no way anyone was gonna get the budget to a movie set in that time which would've been the only hope you had of it being even decent.

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020

mallratcal posted:

Except for the movies he makes that aren't based on a video game. His only non-game related movie to turn a profit was Alien Vs. Predator. Everything else was a big money loser.

Which probably explains why he sticks with video game movies now. He'll probably get a pass for Monster Hunter.

Edit: Maybe not huge money losers, his only huge one was Pompeii.

Didn't Jay said AvP was the most profitable Alien movie in the commentary?

TIP
Mar 21, 2006

Your move, creep.

stephenthinkpad posted:

Didn't Jay said AvP was the most profitable Alien movie in the commentary?

Aliens was more profitable even without adjusting for inflation. I think it is the most profitable Predator movie though.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

I like that ren is too much of an impatient baby to leave the sith teacher alive, every other sith master understood not to kill the trash gremlin who posed no threat to their plans, but kylo really needs to learn how to suck force ASAP and the weird alien put him in a spooky hole

AHH F/UGH
May 25, 2002

Groovelord Neato posted:

How the gently caress did Resident Evil get so many sequels. It's somehow dumber than than a game series that only had two good entries in the past decade plus.

I have a friend whose dad will literally watch any trash that he can every night after work. Underworld, Aeon Flux, Resident Evil, he just loves to watch pure poo poo halfheartedly and then fall asleep 3/4 of the way through.

Now imagine like 50 million of him.

Sheen Sheen
Nov 18, 2002
My dad also enjoys watching the the Resident Evil movies on HBO and falling asleep halfway through

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames

Sheen Sheen posted:

My dad also enjoys watching the the Resident Evil movies on HBO and falling asleep halfway through

It's me, I'm your dad.

Meat Wagon
Jul 14, 2004

They bought it at the dress shop

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
We got a great thread for ya tonight, folks. Hey, have you heard about this? Star Wars

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008

Shinjobi posted:

We got a great thread for ya tonight, folks. Hey, have you heard about this? Star Wars

My favorite!

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

Shinjobi posted:

4 good movies, a mediocre one, 3 movies with interesting ideas & bad execution, one dogshit movie

Better track record on TV

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

I';ve never fallen asleep during a movie.

How the gently caress have executives never heard of in media res? MK starts with a prologue five hundred years in the past of Sub Zero killing Scorpion's family (with location and date titles).

edit: it's 13 minutes in until we get to the stupid character made up for the movie.

location title for Outworld at 16 minutes in gently caress me

gently caress a minute later it cuts back to "Cole Young" having visions of Scorpion.

Groovelord Neato fucked around with this message at 02:43 on Apr 25, 2021

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

Neurolimal posted:

4 good movies, a mediocre one, 3 movies with interesting ideas & bad execution, one dogshit movie

Wrong. It's 2 good movies, 2 okay movies, 4 bad and boring movies, 1 complete turd

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Neurolimal posted:

Wait, we're talking about Star Trek now?

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

If you see a cole young scene you should just fast forward, executive mandated Poochie loser, they dont even make him a scorpion

And I'm saying this as someone who likes a good bit of this movie

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Neurolimal posted:

If you see a cole young scene you should just fast forward, executive mandated Poochie loser, they dont even make him a scorpion

And I'm saying this as someone who likes a good bit of this movie

I'm where Sub Zero shows up on Earth. How the gently caress did anyone give this a good review it's objectively worse than the 95 film 20 minutes in

Basticle
Sep 12, 2011

Andro Dunos
Dec 11, 2003

Stowaway, where Anna Kendrick is a doctor teacher scientist astronaut.

My review: It's ok. At least it's better than Ad Astra.

Than you for reading.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 14 hours!

Sheen Sheen
Nov 18, 2002
Star Wars is 3 good movies from the late 1970s and early 1980s, a handful of good video games from the 1990s, a pretty good TV show, and nothing but endless trash otherwise.

Nefarious 2.0
Apr 22, 2008

Offense is overrated anyway.

Sheen Sheen posted:

Star Wars... is trash

Sheen Sheen
Nov 18, 2002

A HORNY SWEARENGEN posted:

It's me, I'm your dad.

Maybe, but I’m pretty sure my dad has no idea what Red Letter Media is

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020